Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Episode 4

Luis learns about the fate of his son, as Coy devises a plan to get himself off the farm. Jeanette tries to plead her case about the working conditions in the fields to Laurie Ann while Shae comes to a decision that will affect the rest of her life. Meanwhile, business owner Nicholas Coates struggles with making a profit in a market that continuously demands lower prices while his wife, Clair, decides to hire and provide a working visa for a Haitian woman, Gabrielle, to be their son’s nanny.

I wonder why they film this show with all facial close-ups?  So close that when people are talking that it becomes distracting IMO.  

Hutton's character is old enough to play his child's grandparent.  I'm anxious to see where this leads.  

I wish they would show at least one solid marriage though.  Luis and Anna's marriage seem solid, but it's not part of the story line.

• Love 2
(edited)

so was that Coy's own phone he used to text Cabral's character?  so he will be set up for the murder, and they will conclude he tried to OD out of remorse for what he'd done......

Edited by janeta
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, janeta said:

so was that Coy's own phone he used to text Cabral's character?  so he will be set up for the murder, and they will conclude he tried to OD out of remorse for what he'd done......

Maybe.  But they've got so much going on this season that I don't see how they can work in another narrative.

Last week, I missed that it was Isaac who did the murder. I thought it was his brother, who seemed to be the more cruel one. Now I see why his brother kept saying, "you're getting soft." For a moment, I thought maybe Coy was going to be upset that they'd saved him.

I wonder if it is as hard to leave the US as it is to sneak in. Is it as easy as getting on a bus? Is Luis going to get off scot-free? I hope he does.

• Love 4

I really appreciate the silences on this show. They give me space as a viewer to be drawn into the characters' interior lives.

Isaac had zero remorse for killing Luis' son. That was cold. I like that actor, though.

That entire sequence with Shae trying to get an abortion made me want to throw my TV out the window.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Last week, I missed that it was Isaac who did the murder. I thought it was his brother, who seemed to be the more cruel one. Now I see why his brother kept saying, "you're getting soft." For a moment, I thought maybe Coy was going to be upset that they'd saved him.

I wonder if it is as hard to leave the US as it is to sneak in. Is it as easy as getting on a bus? Is Luis going to get off scot-free? I hope he does.

Unless something has changed lately they just take the Mexican line at the border crossing and a few are randomly checked. Presumably he came north with his papers along with bribe money.

6 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

For a moment, I thought maybe Coy was going to be upset that they'd saved him.

I thought the same thing. I'm sad that he told gthe EMT he wanted to call his family, and that he doesn't have anyone who'll be more happy to hear from him.

• Love 1

From the recap/podcast summary:

Timothy Hutton and Lili Taylor show up and immediately start being mean to their Haitian nanny.

I didn't think Lili Taylor's character was mean in any way to the nanny (except when she told her to go back to bed, but there was a good reason for that).  Did I miss something?

• Love 1

The sister who runs the farm business is a tough customer, two of her brothers are scared of her. I know she feels to keep the farm afloat they have to be shady but I assume it's going to bite them in the ass because their labor practices are going to come to light.

• Love 2

Re: Laurie Ann, first she says that Jeanette is not a part of their family, then she says that Jeanette's money is the family's money. So which is it? Is she in the family or not? I wish Jeanette would just walk away from the whole lot of them.

• Love 8
(edited)

I was shocked Isaac was killed. Is Luis gone for good, I wonder? The past 2 seasons, there seemed to be a centralized theme the rest of the season revolved around (the murder of the young service man, then the possible rape of Connor Jessup's character). I cannot quite figure out what this season's main storyline is. 

Edited by nutty1
20 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

I was shocked Isaac was killed. Is Luis gone for good, I wonder? The past 2 seasons, there seemed to be a centralized theme the rest of the season revolved around (the murder of the young service man, then the possible rape of Connor Jessup's character). I cannot quite figure out what this season's main storyline is. 

Just "go with it"!!  LOL

• Love 2
8 hours ago, nutty1 said:

I think the main storyline is slavery. The farm workers are essentially slaves to the owners. The teen prostitutes are slaves to their pimps. The Haitian nanny is a slave to her employers, etc. (And murder.)

• Love 4

Well, that played out in an interesting way. I seriously thought that Coy (I remembered his name!) was trapped in that camp, and that they would only allow him to leave once he paid out what he "owed", which would never happen. I assumed, wrongly, I guess, that he was held under the same conditions that trapped the workers in the trailer fire. I mean, it's not easy to leave with no money, obviously, but he'd been beaten by Isaac (got HIS name from this thread!) and he had detoxed, so I cannot see why he didn't leave until Luis suggested it. Anyway, with Luis gone and a dead "boss", it sure does look as if he might be blamed for the death.

The nanny I thought was said to have been from Ghana, and not Haiti, or did I get that wrong? I got no French-to-English subtitles when she spoke as I do with Spanish when that language is spoken. Is it my TV, or is a technique of the show to isolate the character? thought it was a nice touch that Hutton's character and his son were wearing the same shirt, so I knew their connection as soon as Hutton appeared.

Poor Regina King's character, having to see someone who has what she so badly wants and is willing to just destroy it. On most shows I would assume an arrangement between the characters might be made, but I think this one wants to cause more angst than an easy fix would permit.

Every situation on the show is some level of servitude, if not slavery, and an overall theme just seems to be how detached people can be from the pain and misery they inflict. Or something.

• Love 3

Regina's facial expressions hearing the heartbeat were so moving.  She is one amazing actress.  I still think, in the end, she will end up adopting the baby.

I find the story of Jeannette's very interesting, and wonder how far she will go to hinder the practices of the family.

Shae's statement to the court worker was very compelling - she's better off being a prostitute than living with her mother.  Wow.

• Love 5
On April 4, 2017 at 11:45 PM, nutty1 said:

I cannot quite figure out what this season's main storyline is. 

I think the American Crime this season is that we in America want things and we want them cheap and the only way we can get the things we want so cheap is to have free or low paid labor.

The nanny is from Haiti; I think Lilly Taylor's character mentioned a neighbor who had a nanny from Ghana.  I think they speak English in Ghana, in Senegal they speak French.

• Love 1
On 4/5/2017 at 9:04 PM, NorthstarATL said:

The nanny I thought was said to have been from Ghana, and not Haiti, or did I get that wrong? I got no French-to-English subtitles when she spoke as I do with Spanish when that language is spoken. Is it my TV, or is a technique of the show to isolate the character? thought it was a nice touch that Hutton's character and his son were wearing the same shirt, so I knew their connection as soon as Hutton appeared.

Yes. this.  I was wondering the same thing as to why they were not doing the translations!

• Love 1