Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The Garden of Beasts

I was fairly amused by Bram's "they don't know me anymore" as if he's changed significantly. Nope, still a whiny dunderhead. Now Charlie, there's the one they don't really know anymore. There's a kid I respect. I did like the detail of having a dance party with headsets on, to mute the noise. But they were all children, and the Cardinal is some kind of Pied Piper.

I thought the BlackJack interrogator having a German accent was a bit much. If they needed an accent, I can think of scarier ones these days.

So, they put out a search list for specific men/women to put into those space capsule things. A way to get rid of the best of the potential resistance leaders? The most skilled? Broussard wasn't on that list (that we saw). Or the best ones to use for a host body?

Don't know what to think about Maddie. Occasionally she seems to be drinking the koolaid, at others, she doesn't. Had a little snark there at the photo op, and seems genuinely torn to be saving her hide (and her kid's) by betraying her sister.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8

Since they've brought in the female pilot I wonder if that means they'll kill off Broussard? I don't see Will putting up with him much longer.

Good ol' toady Snyder managed to weasel his way back into the headquarters. Wonder if "by-the-book" Bennett will take his bait?

I thought the BlackJack interrogator having a German accent was a bit much.

Yep, it surprised me too. I think it might be a little too on the nose.

• Love 1

The Blackjack guy was Dutch.  Listed in the cast as van Westerdam.  He also showed up in the earlier Episode where he and other Blackjacks were in northern England looking for the British resistor's mother.  He was speaking Dutch in that scene.

• Love 4

Yeah, it would have been nice if someone had referred to one of them as Colonel Klink, but they've probably traded in their sense of humor at the same time as their souls. 

I wonder how the algorithm used to determine the candidates for collaboration dealt with outlier groups in each country's culture.  How would street gangs, beaten down minority groups, etc., fare within the new system?

In the opening sequence, the Resistance once again showed why, for lack of a better phrase, resistance is futile.  First, the lookout comes running up to alert the lead guy that the motion detector went off.  He spends 5-10 seconds of precious time telling everyone to do what should have been automatic protocol.  Then they all take up positions that allow each of them to be easily eliminated.  Game over.  Hell, even Will & Co. can barely manage to escape their predicament (same thing; Katie hanging on to the phone), and that's with automatic weapons at their disposal.  Training.  Learn it, love it, live it.  I had to laugh at Will's question to the driver when he mentioned the space pod.  "Did you get a look inside?"  "Uh, no, man, I was driving this stolen blackjack car and waiting for some idiots to get out of a crossfire so we could maybe just get away."

So, the nice Bowman family are sewer dwellers for the time being (and a very nicely appointed sewer it is, too).  It would be a good idea to scout the entire system as time allowed, as that would be good information in time of need.  Topside isn't going to work for you, anymore. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

The SS black jacks in their black leather coats were laughable. 

The only thing van Warmerdam was missing was a pirate patch over one eye.  

12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I was fairly amused by Bram's "they don't know me anymore" as if he's changed significantly. Nope, still a whiny dunderhead. Now Charlie, there's the one they don't really know anymore. There's a kid I respect. I did like the detail of having a dance party with headsets on, to mute the noise. But they were all children, and the Cardinal is some kind of Pied Piper.

The Cardinal recruits children and orders them to die.  Bitch.  Bram knows that's what she does and he still handed himself over on a silver plate.  Dumbass.  Sawyer and Fucking Lori still can't keep track of the kids.  Maddie better watch her back.  Katie was right, Nolan had no trouble selling out his wife, he won't think twice about selling out his concubine.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

The Cardinal recruits children and orders them to die.  Bitch.  Bram knows that's what she does and he still handed himself over on a silver plate.  Dumbass.  Sawyer and Fucking Lori still can't keep track of the kids.  Maddie better watch her back.  Katie was right, Nolan had no trouble selling out his wife, he won't think twice about selling out his concubine.

Oh Nolan does have feelings for Maddie ... but he's not about to let that get in the way of saving his own skin. She certainly can't count on him. Trouble is, once she leaves the green zone her son is as good as dead. Where's he going to get his insulin?

Think about it. The Red Hand is basically an Islamic extremist group turned on its head. Americans showing the same kind of fanaticism right here at home. Instead of a religion they believe in liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and death to all aliens (and their human toadies). They willingly sacrifice their lives to accomplish their objectives. Back in the camp, several of them did so just to provide a distraction. They had that little ritual they performed before every mission. And at the top of the organization, a demagogue who preaches to the masses and urges them to martyr themselves for the cause. They don't do it of course. They recruit others, principally young people, to die for them. Teenagers are especially vulnerable to this kind of recruitment strategy. Exactly what goes on in the Middle East in real life with groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda.

Edited by chrisjdel
  • Love 3

The matching leather jackets were ridiculous and distracting. I kept thinking about the realities of getting matching, well-fitting jackets during the alien invasion. Did the aliens arrange those? Have them ready in advance?

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I forgot to ask, did we ever learn why the drones spared Charlie and Will when they climbed over the wall?

It recognized Will as an employee of the hosts but didn't see Charlie since Will's body covered him.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

It recognized Will as an employee of the hosts but didn't see Charlie since Will's body covered him.

Probably so. Although it had to have seen Charlie too; I think it just determined that it couldn't target him without killing Will, and perhaps that Will putting himself in the way indicated the boy's survival was important to whatever assignment he was on. The Raps seem oblivious to human relationships. I doubt the drones have any more insight.

3 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

AlieMen's Wearhouse.  You're gonna love the way you look.  Or else.

Heh heh heh. Good one. They should have that as a commercial on the Occupation Network. Approved programming for the loyal citizen: if you're watching another channel, we'll know!!!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, chrisjdel said:

Probably so. Although it had to have seen Charlie too; I think it just determined that it couldn't target him without killing Will, and perhaps that Will putting himself in the way indicated the boy's survival was important to whatever assignment he was on. The Raps seem oblivious to human relationships. I doubt the drones have any more insight.

I wonder if, now that we've seen Will's on that list for the spacepods, maybe he was always on that list and they didn't kill him because of that, rather than because he was an employee.

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I wonder if, now that we've seen Will's on that list for the spacepods, maybe he was always on that list and they didn't kill him because of that, rather than because he was an employee.

You know, that's a distinct possibility. There may be a list of people from all over the colony who meet whatever criteria they've set for sending them ... wherever they're sent. Unless absolutely necessary those people won't be harmed. At least for the time being.

Edited by chrisjdel
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chrisjdel said:

You know, that's a distinct possibility. There may be a list of people from all over the colony who meet whatever criteria they've set for sending them ... wherever they're sent. Unless absolutely necessary those people won't be harmed. At least for the time being.

That does match with the blackjack chief being interested in why as Proctor Synder had identified Will for special treatment

26 minutes ago, Raja said:

That does match with the blackjack chief being interested in why as Proctor Synder had identified Will for special treatment

Snyder seems to have more knowledge of the Raps and their goals than most of the occupation figures higher up the chain of command. I wonder why that is? The Governor General appears to share this knowledge. The two of them have some kind of relationship; not personal, my own theory is that they're involved together in the shadow insurgency that seems to exist among the high level collaborators. That's why she risked her own safety retrieving him from the camp before it was hit. You'd pretty much expect something like this. A few of the biggest sellouts will turn out to be doing what they're doing in order to get inside the organization, win the invaders' trust, maybe even gain access to some of their technology, intending to eventually strike from within.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, chrisjdel said:

The other names flashed by briefly, but the two that I caught were a doctor and a scientist.  Perhaps they are harvesting certain adults and children for a human colony off-world somewhere and the remaining humans are marked for extinction, including those in the green zone who I suspect were suckered into thinking they were special and were to be spared.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

The other names flashed by briefly, but the two that I caught were a doctor and a scientist.  Perhaps they are harvesting certain adults and children for a human colony off-world somewhere and the remaining humans are marked for extinction, including those in the green zone who I suspect were suckered into thinking they were special and were to be spared.

The other people on the display were:

• Dr. Sheyla Gupta -- trauma surgeon, status acquired, Emotional: 1.938, Physical 9.204, Psychological 8.096, Intellectual 6.558, Known contacts: Adhish Gupta, Gwen Hesse, Rafael Cortez
  • Clive Okada -- programmer, status open, Emotional: 2.053, Physical 4.940, Psychological 9.087, Intellectual 5.124, Known contacts: Bailey West, Rebecca Abber, Timothy Ellsworth
  • Bradley Marsh -- engineer, status acquired, Emotional: 5.604, Physical 1.039, Psychological 2.189, Intellectual 7.439, Known contacts: Lila Alvarez, Ruth R., Colin Marsh
  • Lucas Hickox -- soldier, status acquired, Emotional: 4.307, Physical 9.889, Psychological 8.223, Intellectual 2.166, Known contacts: Glenn Johnson, Thomas Erwin,
  • Mark O'Brien -- machinist, status open, Emotional: 2.802, Physical 4.622, Psychological 3.112, Intellectual 7.819, Known contacts: Kenneth Sontag, Edwin Leung, Margaret Young
  • Will Bowman -- soldier, status open, Emotional: 5.207, Physical 9.771, Psychological 8.922, Intellectual 7.338, Known cohorts: Katie Bowman, Bolton Miller
  • Love 3

Remember the first episode this season, the flashback to the first day of the invasion? There were a bunch of missing people who were on some "list" and Will and his old partner had to go find one, which they did, just in time. Maybe that is the same list that was on the computer in the vehicle?

5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

• Dr. Sheyla Gupta -- trauma surgeon, status acquired, Emotional: 1.938, Physical 9.204, Psychological 8.096, Intellectual 6.558, Known contacts: Adhish Gupta, Gwen Hesse, Rafael Cortez
  • Clive Okada -- programmer, status open, Emotional: 2.053, Physical 4.940, Psychological 9.087, Intellectual 5.124, Known contacts: Bailey West, Rebecca Abber, Timothy Ellsworth
  • Bradley Marsh -- engineer, status acquired, Emotional: 5.604, Physical 1.039, Psychological 2.189, Intellectual 7.439, Known contacts: Lila Alvarez, Ruth R., Colin Marsh
  • Lucas Hickox -- soldier, status acquired, Emotional: 4.307, Physical 9.889, Psychological 8.223, Intellectual 2.166, Known contacts: Glenn Johnson, Thomas Erwin,
  • Mark O'Brien -- machinist, status open, Emotional: 2.802, Physical 4.622, Psychological 3.112, Intellectual 7.819, Known contacts: Kenneth Sontag, Edwin Leung, Margaret Young
  • Will Bowman -- soldier, status open, Emotional: 5.207, Physical 9.771, Psychological 8.922, Intellectual 7.338, Known cohorts: Katie Bowman, Bolton Miller

I'm interested in how they're assigning the measurements. Will and Hickox (the soldier) rate in 9's for physical, so I'm guessing that's good. I might quibble that he's higher, intellectual, than the surgeon (whose emotional score is the lowest of the lot - not too surprising for surgeons unless you watch Grey's Anatomy).

I don't recognize the name of one of Will's known contacts:  "Bolton Miller" - was that Will's old partner?  I'm really bad at names. Does anyone recognize any of the other known contacts?

• Love 1
19 hours ago, chrisjdel said:

Snyder seems to have more knowledge of the Raps and their goals than most of the occupation figures higher up the chain of command. I wonder why that is? The Governor General appears to share this knowledge. The two of them have some kind of relationship; not personal, my own theory is that they're involved together in the shadow insurgency that seems to exist among the high level collaborators. That's why she risked her own safety retrieving him from the camp before it was hit. You'd pretty much expect something like this. A few of the biggest sellouts will turn out to be doing what they're doing in order to get inside the organization, win the invaders' trust, maybe even gain access to some of their technology, intending to eventually strike from within.

I would like this to be true.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't recognize the name of one of Will's known contacts:  "Bolton Miller" - was that Will's old partner?  I'm really bad at names. Does anyone recognize any of the other known contacts?

That would be my guess. He was called Bo/Beau.

I went back and took another look at the info screen. The scores for the suspects/candidates were referred to as their "Hynek Score". Which is a real thing! Except IRL it is a scale developed by UFO researcher J. Allen Hynek to categorize reports of UFO encounters. Famously known for the rating "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

That would be my guess. He was called Bo/Beau.

I went back and took another look at the info screen. The scores for the suspects/candidates were referred to as their "Hynek Score". Which is a real thing! Except IRL it is a scale developed by UFO researcher J. Allen Hynek to categorize reports of UFO encounters. Famously known for the rating "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

Interesting that they should use that. It doesn't seem to have much bearing on the scores we're seeing, at least to me.

Ah, I couldn't remember his partner's name, but that seems likely. So if he's a known associate - then I wonder, does that mean he's of interest for the pods too? And will Bo return sometime? I hope so.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:43 PM, DaveL723 said:

The Blackjack guy was Dutch.  Listed in the cast as van Westerdam.  He also showed up in the earlier Episode where he and other Blackjacks were in northern England looking for the British resistor's mother.  He was speaking Dutch in that scene.

I thought in that earlier episode someone said "Wir haben die mutter" which is German.

4 hours ago, xaxat said:

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Interesting that they should use that. It doesn't seem to have much bearing on the scores we're seeing, at least to me.

Maybe it's just an inside joke/Easter egg. Like Klass County and Heuvelmans Lake from episodes of The X-Files.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_J._Klass

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Heuvelmans

• Love 1
5 hours ago, amcalabrese said:

I thought in that earlier episode someone said "Wir haben die mutter" which is German.

"We hebben de moeder" sounds very similar if said quickly enough.  Or he speaks several languages and he has german teammates.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

"We hebben de moeder" sounds very similar if said quickly enough.  Or he speaks several languages and he has german teammates.

That could be it too.  Also, the Dutch have a tradition of linguistics (given that Dutch is a small language surrounded by larger ones (German, French and English), and because Holland has been a commercial center for centuries.  

I guess when I saw it the first time making the baddies German seemed to obvious.  

On 3/19/2017 at 4:22 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I guess this pretty much ends the "they want humans for food" theory (which was never a good one to begin with) because why go after people with intelligence or other strengths just to eat them.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, amcalabrese said:

I thought in that earlier episode someone said "Wir haben die mutter" which is German

Dutch and German are very similar.  Dutch would be "Wij hebben de moeder"  (Also the cc showed "Speaking Dutch: We have the mother.")

• Love 2

And lack of communication strikes again.  Rather than tell their eldest son, who's already been in a prison-type labor camp, that they've just been attacked by an extremist resistance group called the Red Hand, a group that encourages its members to conduct suicide missions, because pop was involved in the death of the leader's daughter, so we need you hear to protect your siblings while we look for a way outside, wherein then we can all work against the aliens, they tell Bram nothing, just stay home, watch the kids.  So, instead Bram walks right into the hands of Red Hand's leader, who knows exactly who he is, thanks to him giving his true name, and will no doubt work to send him on a suicide mission.

I didn't see, was that a drone that hit the van, or another blackjack?  How did they know the van was hijacked?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I didn't see, was that a drone that hit the van, or another blackjack?  How did they know the van was hijacked?

There was a Blackjack targeting the armored car with a laser. So now the Red Hats have been sent down to official Keystone cop status and the autonomous drones needs something to paint the target so Will could see and give a warning.

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

and will no doubt work to send him on a suicide mission.

Please!  As soon as humanly possible, because Bram is a pillock that this show would be better off without.

• Love 3