Type keyword(s) to search

Counterpart in the Media: Prime Coverage

(edited)

On the Emmys thread, someone pointed out how unlikely it is that any of those doing the nominating actually watched all the submissions these days—which made me wonder if J.K. was glossed over because he wasn't in the sex scenes. Regardless, @Coxfires post^^ then led me to search for information on the nomination process and who does it. I gave up at this: https://www.backstage.com/news/who-are-emmy-voters/ . I also gave up trying to verify whether or not an entry was even submitted on behalf of J.K., but I did find this slightly comforting bit of humor at https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2448859/the-biggest-snubs-from-2018-primetime-emmy-nominations :

I bet he [J.K. Simmons] would have gotten nominated in Prime Earth's Emmys, though.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

J K Simmons and James Cromwell together?  Can we stand so much talent in one scene?

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

At the end, did James Cromwell say "End this war"?

He said "You are a gentle man.  And this is war."

Can't wait!

• Love 2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2018/12/01/counterpart-season-2-review-justin-marks-amy-berg-j-k-simmons-howard-silk-olivia-williams-harry-lloyd-james-cromwell-starz/

This really got me hyped for the season To come. One of my nitpick was that the direction was a bit slow at times despite loving the story (and I read many comments about people not keeping up with the show because they found it boring,  which is a shame), so reading that this aspect has been improved pleases me greatly 

• Love 2

‘Counterpart’ Not Getting Third Season On Starz, Shopped To Other Nets By MRC

Starz has opted not to renew the J.K. Simmons-starring drama Counterpart for a third season. The February 17 Season 2 finale of the sci-fi espionage thriller, from creator/executive producer Justin Marks and executive producer Jordan Horowitz, will be its series finale on Starz. Counterpart producer MRC is currently shopping the show to streaming platforms.

49 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I was just thinking after last night's episode that if there was no third season, at least it seemed they'd be wrapping it up more than what I dimly recall of Rubicon.

OTOH, looks like Marks is really hoping the studio can sell the show to another network.

So they may not have fully wrapped up all the plots.

• Love 2

Not surprised with today's news (as I heard the rumors) but still extremely disappointed STARZ failed to recognize they had a good show from the start and failed to promote it properly.

Good luck finding another network!

I hope a colony of bees make a permanent home on the executive floor in the STARZ building! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

hope a colony of bees make a permanent home on the executive floor in the STARZ building! 

Bees give honey. Maybe fire ants instead? Although if STARZ had some magical bee honey, they could afford to give Counterpart more seasons.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Bees give honey. Maybe fire ants instead? Although if STARZ had some magical bee honey, they could afford to give Counterpart more seasons.

I want these executives inconvenienced in any way possible!

1. Never having enough toilet paper or paper towel on their floor

2. The thermostats are always malfunctioning and it's always warm/cold in the offices

3. A fire drill everyday (must walk down and back up 30+ flights of stairs)

4. TV in the conference room is stuck on loop showing Counterpart.

• Love 2

It killed itself, IMO. I watched every ep, and really liked the series. But from the third or fourth episode of season one, I wanted more about the two worlds, and less of the Cold War spy stuff.  The latter I can get many places. The two worlds, why they exist, what they offer, how people view them (beyond who used a flu virus to kill people) ... much harder to find. 

• Love 1

I'm most disappointed that the producers didn't see the handwriting on the wall early enough to fashion an acceptable end point "just in case". What a disservice to the loyal fans! Other at risk shows have managed to fashion a last episode that would work as both a show and season finale. 

• Love 1

I’m just hoping the Starz producers don’t think the ratings difference between the two seasons was because of the difference of Baldwin lesbian sex scenes. Because I thought the lack of it was better was because they thought of better things to do with the plot, but that doesn’t mean the network guys realize this. 

• Love 5

Well, it's done now.  I liked the finale and I think they did a pretty good job closing the series out and leaving just enough open for another season if they get picked up by a streaming service. 

I think a couple of the reasons the ratings were so low for such a great show is that they didn't introduce the origin story of the world split until too late in the series.  That should have been worked into the series much earlier.  Also, they should have made the world split 20 years ago rather than 30.  Then, Baldwin's young age would make more sense, and, though I love the Howards and Emilies, I think the main characters were too old for a general audience.  If they'd made the split 20 years before, they could have had main characters who were in their 30s.  (I am in an older age range myself.  I'm just thinking about general audience appeal).

Edited by RealityCreator
  • Love 2
On 2/13/2019 at 1:44 PM, Ottis said:

It killed itself, IMO. I watched every ep, and really liked the series. But from the third or fourth episode of season one, I wanted more about the two worlds, and less of the Cold War spy stuff.  The latter I can get many places. The two worlds, why they exist, what they offer, how people view them (beyond who used a flu virus to kill people) ... much harder to find. 

On 2/18/2019 at 3:34 AM, RealityCreator said:

Well, it's done now.  I liked the finale and I think they did a pretty good job closing the series out and leaving just enough open for another season if they get picked up by a streaming service. 

I think a couple of the reasons the ratings were so low for such a great show is that they didn't introduce the origin story of the world split until too late in the series.  That should have been worked into the series much earlier.  Also, they should have made the world split 20 years ago rather than 30.  Then, Baldwin's young age would make more sense, and, though I love the Howards and Emilies, I think the main characters were too old for a general audience.  If they'd made the split 20 years before, they could have had main characters who were in their 30s.  (I am in an older age range myself.  I'm just thinking about general audience appeal).

On 2/13/2019 at 9:35 PM, kariyaki said:

I’m just hoping the Starz producers don’t think the ratings difference between the two seasons was because of the difference of Baldwin lesbian sex scenes. Because I thought the lack of it was better was because they thought of better things to do with the plot, but that doesn’t mean the network guys realize this. 

I was a big fan of the main actor and was excited about this. However it was like being served a delicious meal for the first episode and then all the chef wants to talk about was how to make Jello. They had an intrinsically fascinating scenario but instead wanted to focus on a played out spy vs spy trope. I was out when I realized they only cast a too young to make sense actress for Baldwin because they wanted a hot young thing to showcase in some male gaze oriented lesbian sex scenes. It is particularly insulting when you think about how many sexy and talented actresses out there in their 40’s, like Keri Russell, who would of added so much more to the character. Not sad that it is gone.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I was out when I realized they only cast a too young to make sense actress for Baldwin because they wanted a hot young thing to showcase in some male gaze oriented lesbian sex scenes. It is particularly insulting when you think about how many sexy and talented actresses out there in their 40’s, like Keri Russell, who would of added so much more to the character.

They explained why Baldwin was young. The worlds ran along virtually identically until the plague. So it wasn't that Baldwin was supposed to be in her 40s, she was supposed to be the age she was.

25 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

They explained why Baldwin was young. The worlds ran along virtually identically until the plague. So it wasn't that Baldwin was supposed to be in her 40s, she was supposed to be the age she was.

Did they do this in the second season? I do not remember it in the first season and I tapped out after that since the show began to bore me but I could be wrong. It honestly seems like backpedaling since that character was not well received.

5 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Did they do this in the second season? I do not remember it in the first season and I tapped out after that since the show began to bore me but I could be wrong.

I think they said it in the first season. I don't really remember when anymore, though.

Emmy nominations were announced yesterday and I think both Olivia Williams and Harry Lloyd were robbed. I guess even without the GoT actors hogging all the nominations those two would have trouble getting in but still. I’d love it if somehow the cast at least gets a SAG Award nomination in December but realize that’s highly unlikely, too. Damn, why can’t this show get streamed on Netflix to help make that happen?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TimWil said:

Emmy nominations were announced yesterday and I think both Olivia Williams and Harry Lloyd were robbed

I wonder if the show being cancelled (rather than having a planned final season) has any effect on Emmy noms.

• Love 1

Last year JK was snubbed so I wasn't expecting OW and HL to be acknowledged either, when even a powerhouse like him with the range he displayed was ignored. What bothers is that indeed, GoT got a huge amount of noms where, without dissing the actors, I feel like the Counterpart cast had better material, writing and overall opportunities to show their range and talent. But the fact that the Emmy go with the flow rather than acknowledge actual acting is nothing new or surprising. 

On another note, episode 6 of this season deserved a nomination for i dont know, anything, because it was Incredibly good. But oh...

• Love 2

‘Counterpart’: J.K. Simmons’ Starz Sci-Fi Thriller “Too Male” To Score Third Season Amid “Premium Female” Push

Starz COO Jeffrey Hirsch addressed the cancellation at the TCA summer press tour and admitted that the show’s audience was “too male” to fit into its new female-focused strategy.

“Counterpart was a great show, we had great partners in MRC and Justin is a great writer, but it was a very complicated show, a very male show. We had picked that show up and made a two season commitment before we’d honed in on this premium female strategy,” he said.

“When you look at bringing shows back, it really has to serve that core premium female audience and if it doesn’t we have to find something else,” Hirsch added. “If it doesn’t serve our core strategy, we’re just not going to do it.”

On July 26, 2019 at 11:24 PM, paulvdb said:

‘Counterpart’: J.K. Simmons’ Starz Sci-Fi Thriller “Too Male” To Score Third Season Amid “Premium Female” Push

Starz COO Jeffrey Hirsch addressed the cancellation at the TCA summer press tour and admitted that the show’s audience was “too male” to fit into its new female-focused strategy.

“Counterpart was a great show, we had great partners in MRC and Justin is a great writer, but it was a very complicated show, a very male show. We had picked that show up and made a two season commitment before we’d honed in on this premium female strategy,” he said.

“When you look at bringing shows back, it really has to serve that core premium female audience and if it doesn’t we have to find something else,” Hirsch added. “If it doesn’t serve our core strategy, we’re just not going to do it.”

2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Well, that's just fucking stupid.  I'm female, and I loved the complicated story.  What exactly is this "core premium female audience"?  Doesn't he know there's already a Hallmark Movie Channel? 

It sounds misogynist to me, but I thought I owed Starz COO Jeffrey Hirsch the benefit of the doubt — like maybe he was quoted out of context, or maybe his pet just died — but, no, there's also: https://www.outlandercast.com/2019/08/starz-coo-jeffrey-hirsch.html

A while back it sounded like he knew what a woke dude should sound like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP_DfgwYDZ4

but maybe he's really just "a good old boy" underneath?

IDK.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

"Too Male"! You're doing a great job Jeffrey (you jerk)! 

"The Rook" is a cheap replacement! What will be his excuse when that's cancelled?

I shouldn't knock him too much, he did add old "Kinght Rider" episodes.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1
On 8/5/2019 at 8:44 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

Well, that's just fucking stupid.  I'm female, and I loved the complicated story.  What exactly is this "core premium female audience"?  Doesn't he know there's already a Hallmark Movie Channel? 

What is worse is that the show itself was very balanced in terms of male/female interesting/developped/well acted characters, it is not like women were only faire-valoirs for men. Emily, Claire, Naya, Baldwin... did he even watch it?What a bunch of crap.

• Love 5