Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast of Feud: Bette & Joan

9 hours ago, maraleia said:

Interesting tidbit

Bette was 54 in 1962 while Susan is 70

Joan was 58 in 1982 while Jessica is 67

That context makes a bit more sense because the show made it seem like they were just recently losing roles to the young starlets. But I guess Old Hollywood and today's Hollywood are different--and it seemed like that was the period where it was changing from talent to sex appeal. I'm obviously not implying that the earlier Hollywood actresses WEREN'T gorgeous, but the Marilyn Monroe "It" factor became more of a focus than actual acting talent. <--I don't know this to be true one way or the other; this is just what this show seems to be telling me. 

But, wow, Sarandon is older than Lange? I thought Sarandon was in her 60s and Lange was pushing 80. Even seeing them on screen together, I had a hard time believing that they were of the same generation because Lange looks so much older than Sarandon. But, I like this tongue in cheek story about older women in Hollywood fighting to make a role for themselves--starring older women in Hollywood who have to fight to get a role. I feel like Ryan Murphy was wracking his brain trying to come up with something to star his muse, Jessica Lange, that didn't portray her as a mother (grandmother, truly!) or a gorgon, just like when they were sorting the books. Eureka! Let's go with the original and ultimate old school Hollywood actress trying to stay relevant! I'm loving Jessica in this so far. She's definitely outshining Sarandon. But I think that's because this story is from Crawford's point of view--at least so far.

• Love 2
On 3/6/2017 at 10:46 PM, maraleia said:

Interesting tidbit

Joan was 58 in 1982 while Jessica is 67

I know it's a typo, but Joan was 58 in 1962.  She was dead in 1982.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, AnnieBananie said:

I know it's not been long since Mad Men ended, but Kiernan Shipka looks much skinnier now than she did then. 

She seems taller. 

• Love 2

Kiernan does seem very thin.

She's a beautiful girl (and would be with a few more pounds on her as well) & an amazing young actress. She seems to pick roles wisely, too. I think we're going to see big things from Kiernan as she ventures into more adult roles.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 3

I put aside my general dislike for her thinking her talent will make up for it but I only see her trying to be BD.  Her voice is still hers, the accent is wavering and the cosmetic procedures that erased any normal wrinkles/sagging hurts the role imo.  Besides that, I am actually getting bored at this point which is very disappointing, anyone else?

Yikes! Something is going on with Jessica's face/neck for sure. I wish she would stop "freshening up" it has gone too far.

Sarandon looks fine, but do not defend the shoes to me!

CZJ is glowing! She is gorgeous all of the time, I have no idea how old she is, but damn! Whatever work she has had done (if any) is flawless.

You can really tell a persons age by their hands and Jessica and Susans hands are really talking, but again CZJ hands look so much younger, I need her regimen stat!

19 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

CZJ looks so much younger because she IS. She's 47, Jessica is 67, and Susan is 70. Let's see how CZJ looks in 20 years. :)

OK, lets meet back here in 20 years and we will check her out. I bet technology will be more advanced and 70 will be the new 30. I hope at least

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:46 PM, maraleia said:

Interesting tidbit

Joan was 58 in 1962 while Jessica is 67

According to IMDb, Crawford was born in March, 1906, and Davis in April, 1908,  just two years apart.  According to Wikipedia, various sources give Joan's birth year as anywhere from 1903 to 1908.  Who's to know?  ;-)

• Love 1

Is it me, but do I hear a touch of a German accent in Lange's portrayal of Joan? Maybe I keep hearing her as Elsa Mars in American Horror Story, but I remember her speaking with no such accent in "Tootsie." Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Banshee said:

Is it me, but do I hear a touch of a German accent in Lange's portrayal of Joan? Maybe I keep hearing her as Elsa Mars in American Horror Story, but I remember her speaking with no such accent in "Tootsie." Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me

Maybe Mamacita's Austrian accent is rubbing off on her?

• Love 3
(edited)
On 3/28/2017 at 4:51 PM, Arynm said:

Yikes! Something is going on with Jessica's face/neck for sure. I wish she would stop "freshening up" it has gone too far.

Sarandon looks fine, but do not defend the shoes to me!

CZJ is glowing! She is gorgeous all of the time, I have no idea how old she is, but damn! Whatever work she has had done (if any) is flawless.

You can really tell a persons age by their hands and Jessica and Susans hands are really talking, but again CZJ hands look so much younger, I need her regimen stat!

CZJ's age is or was a subject of a great deal of debate at one point. I think eventually it was proven that her given age is her actual age. 

I often veer between thinking Jessica Lange's work has gotten better and then thinking it has gone wrong again. It looks very Joan van Ark in the premiere photos. There's a fair amount of frozen faces in those photos but hers stands out...and not in a good way. It's too bad. She was a beautiful woman before all that started.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 6

I know Wendie Malick is mostly a comedic actress, but I ran across some photos of her today and I think she may have mad an interesting Crawford. Crawford's portrayal deserves an actress that can bring more life to the role. All of Jessica Lange's mannerisms are slow and somewhat laid-back; as mentioned in the latest episode thread, her plastic surgery has severely limited her facial expressions. Wendie's had work done but still looks somewhat natural. Her comedic timing would probably work well for someone as zesty as Joan. Admittedly, I've never real watched anything she's done; just saw her in a magazine I was flipping through and said "Hmm....she looks like she could play Joan".

JL would probably have been better cast as Hedda Hopper; Judy Davis is doing a fantastic job but she is much too young for the role. Hedda would have been in her mid-70s in 1962 (she died in 1966 at age 80). I could see Jessica being better suited to playing the aging shit-stirrer. Meh, what could have been.

• Love 6
On 4/5/2017 at 7:56 AM, AgentRXS said:

I know Wendie Malick is mostly a comedic actress, but I ran across some photos of her today and I think she may have mad an interesting Crawford. Crawford's portrayal deserves an actress that can bring more life to the role. All of Jessica Lange's mannerisms are slow and somewhat laid-back; as mentioned in the latest episode thread, her plastic surgery has severely limited her facial expressions. Wendie's had work done but still looks somewhat natural. Her comedic timing would probably work well for someone as zesty as Joan. Admittedly, I've never real watched anything she's done; just saw her in a magazine I was flipping through and said "Hmm....she looks like she could play Joan".

JL would probably have been better cast as Hedda Hopper; Judy Davis is doing a fantastic job but she is much too young for the role. Hedda would have been in her mid-70s in 1962 (she died in 1966 at age 80). I could see Jessica being better suited to playing the aging shit-stirrer. Meh, what could have been.

I agree.  I have never liked JL.  Last night on Steven Colbert she, again, turned me cold.  YMMV  I know some like her.  There are many more reasons than giving a lousy interview her affect in most movies is very much the same.  Loved Steven saying, "your not under oath."   She doesn't like Kelly Ann Conway.  ***rolls eyes***  How trite.  

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I agree.  I have never liked JL.  Last night on Steven Colbert she, again, turned me cold.  YMMV  I know some like her.  There are many more reasons than giving a lousy interview her affect in most movies is very much the same.

I have felt that way ever since she was nominated for Tootsie and Frances in the same year.  I didn't see much difference between those two performances.

• Love 7

her affect in most movies is very much the same

I've only seen in her in AHS, but I agree I don't see much difference between any of her characters. Her attempt at a Massachusetts in Season 2 was god-awful. Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson are in every season but they are able to sell their characters---Jessica just seems one-note and all her performances were the same from season-to-season.

• Love 2

I've decided my biggest issue with Jessica as Joan is that Joan had big blue eyes, and Jessica has little beady brown eyes. Susan resembles Bette, at least. I think Jessica was cast because she's friends with the producer. She wouldn't have gotten the part in an open call.

• Love 6

Catherine Zeta-Beta-Carotine... (Catherine Zeta Jones):  I kept seeing her name in the credits but it took more than a couple of episodes to realize she was portraying Olivia deHavilland!  She is stunning!

On 4/22/2017 at 4:57 PM, ennui said:

I've decided my biggest issue with Jessica as Joan is that Joan had big blue eyes, and Jessica has little beady brown eyes. Susan resembles Bette, at least. I think Jessica was cast because she's friends with the producer. She wouldn't have gotten the part in an open call.

I won't claim Jessica is the perfect choice for Joan. But I do think having her not be a physical resemblance was partially intentional.

Faye Dunaway looked very much like Joan... Since so many modern viewers probably only know Joan from Mommie Dearest it would almost be like casting a Faye Dunaway lookalike to modern eyes. They more an actor looks like Joan the more she looks like Faye the more the roles might be confused.

It's confusing to think about.

• Love 3