Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: Remember The Devil

• Start Topic

Three-week break until this airs on March 22nd, but the summary is up now, so here it is:

After being tipped off about a woman running barefoot through the woods, Intelligence is led to a kidnapping victim locked up in a shipping container. The bizarre scenario leaves Voight questioning the legitimacy of the case, and sends the team on a twisted trail to get to the bottom of it. Meanwhile, a former relationship of Halstead's comes back into the picture, much to the surprise of Lindsay.

Yeah, pretty good one--fun watching Hank prove he treats everyone equally by slamming Mrs BadGuy around in the garage and piercing her hand for her. 

I loved loved loved the desk scene when Alvin comes back to work and the interactions among Trudy, Hank, and him. The development of two generations of characters without stereotyping is so good in this show--these three are completely believable as comrades who go way back together and their compassion on Alvin's mourning was just perfect. 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

I loved loved loved the desk scene when Alvin comes back to work and the interactions among Trudy, Hank, and him. The development of two generations of characters without stereotyping is so good in this show--these three are completely believable as comrades who go way back together and their compassion on Alvin's mourning was just perfect. 

I agree, Olinsky's scenes were all well done.  Even his hug with Ruzek was good too.  

I thought from the promo photos that Erin and Trudy had a scene in the locker room.  I guess not?  

It was hard to look past the Linstead bombshell in this episode for me, as a Linstead fan.  They didn't have to go that route in the first place, and then have Jay walk out when Erin didn't want him to?  Weird.  But there was plenty of good all around in this episode for every fan.  Just... Jay... ugh.  Yeah.  

• Love 1

Just when we were bracing ourselves for more Ruzek/Burgess soap opera it's actually Linstead who get the unnecessary-drama whammy - well played show (or maybe not). Loved Platt's: 'If you ever want to not talk about it, I'm your gal, okay?' - she's the best. Ruzek's hug came in second. Nice old lady gave off serious Mags Bennett vibes (that's a compliment - sorta).

• Love 6
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I agree, Olinsky's scenes were all well done.  Even his hug with Ruzek was good too.  

I thought from the promo photos that Erin and Trudy had a scene in the locker room.  I guess not?  

It was hard to look past the Linstead bombshell in this episode for me, as a Linstead fan.  They didn't have to go that route in the first place, and then have Jay walk out when Erin didn't want him to?  Weird.  But there was plenty of good all around in this episode for every fan.  Just... Jay... ugh.  Yeah.  

Could have been a cut scene. Promo photos are often taken on one particular day only, so there likely was a scene and it ended up on the cutting room floor. Sophia Bush said a while ago that they cut at least 10 minutes per episode, if I remember correctly.

• Love 1

First thing I thought of with the Jay and Erin story line was to wonder if they've split up in real life and that's why the show is going this route?  I agree with FnkyChkn34 that Jay did a 180 there.  Now I know that PTSD can show up at any time, and possibly they'll attribute this turn to that, but he seems like he's well adjusted and his issues have been worked out.  Could be wrong on this.   I don't want this to turn into a together/not together/back together etc etc thing.  Either keep them together or split them up.

Ruzek's hug was great and it was nice to see it.  

Now that I know that Burgess is pregnant, I keep watching for all the coverups.  I can't be the only one doing this, am I?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Shades of Red said:

First thing I thought of with the Jay and Erin story line was to wonder if they've split up in real life and that's why the show is going this route?  I agree with FnkyChkn34 that Jay did a 180 there.  Now I know that PTSD can show up at any time, and possibly they'll attribute this turn to that, but he seems like he's well adjusted and his issues have been worked out.  Could be wrong on this.   I don't want this to turn into a together/not together/back together etc etc thing.  Either keep them together or split them up.

Now, where would be the drama in that? It's either will-they/won't they or split up and get back together in Hollywood ;-)

I wouldn't be surprised though if they didn't attribute Jay's 180 to anything. There are few shows which I have seen which have bothered to explain what viewers perceive as out of character behavior, which is actually I believe we perceive it as such to begin with. Technically, no behavior is out of character, if you think about it, we all react differently even in similar situations because no situation is exactly the same and one alteration of a small detail can change the way we act. But we're aware of that small detail. With characters, we're shown a behavioral pattern, a character gets established and when they suddenly act differently from the established pattern without a (plausible) reason we perceive it as out-of-character because we don't understand it. All we see it doesn't fit with what we've seen before. Unfortunately, I believe that many times, there is no reason and it's just done for drama.

Now that I know that Burgess is pregnant, I keep watching for all the coverups.  I can't be the only one doing this, am I?

Nope. I saw promo photos for next week's episode yesterday and thought "and there's the coat, covering up the baby bump". ;-)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

Could have been a cut scene. Promo photos are often taken on one particular day only, so there likely was a scene and it ended up on the cutting room floor. Sophia Bush said a while ago that they cut at least 10 minutes per episode, if I remember correctly.

Might be nice for that scene to show up on YouTube as a deleted scene then.  I like the Erin/Trudy relationship; it's almost as if Trudy is a surrogate mother to Erin, since we all know Bonnie is a piece of work.

Rumors abound that they have split up in real life, but there are also plenty of others on social media who say they haven't.  So, we may never know. I think I said before in a different thread though, I would hate to think that the actors aren't mature enough to have foreseen this and realized they could continue to work together, or that the writers would allow personal lives to dictate the fictional story.  I never watched One Tree Hill, but Sophia Bush worked closely with her ex-husband for years after their relationship ended and the show continued.

I also watch for what new and exciting prop will cover the bump!  So. Many. File. Folders.  I also find it slightly amusing that they are keeping her on desk duty without actually officially keeping her on desk duty.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Might be nice for that scene to show up on YouTube as a deleted scene then.  I like the Erin/Trudy relationship; it's almost as if Trudy is a surrogate mother to Erin, since we all know Bonnie is a piece of work.

I'd love if every show would put together a "cut scenes" DVD for each season! Maybe they don't necessarily advance the story but they're probably all still nice to have and might sometimes even answer a few questions.

• Love 1

All I can say is WHYYYY???? Can Erin have a break for 2 seconds? Of all of the storylines, they had to write Jay as being married? 

Once again, loved the scenes with Al. Kudos to the actor :)

What a messed up case. Its not too often we get a woman who does this kind of thing. Didnt see that one coming.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I'd love if every show would put together a "cut scenes" DVD for each season! Maybe they don't necessarily advance the story but they're probably all still nice to have and might sometimes even answer a few questions.

One of my other favorite shows is Outlander, and they include a bunch of deleted scenes on their DVDs.  (Then people are nice enough to upload them to YouTube for those of us who don't buy the DVDs.)  I agree that all shows should do that!

We thought this was one of the poorest episodes. Frankly, we thought the old woman would actually turn out to be the bad husband. Kind of ended without resolving stuff. Was she the bad one or her husband or what. Point of keeping people in the basement?????

On 23/3/2017 at 7:10 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I liked the episode, but I hated that. I don't get why they did that. Linstead fans are going to be pissed that they put that in, Linstead haters are going to be pissed that Linstead's personal drama is shoved down their throats. So, why include that?

On 23/3/2017 at 11:27 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Rumors abound that they have split up in real life, but there are also plenty of others on social media who say they haven't.  So, we may never know. I think I said before in a different thread though, I would hate to think that the actors aren't mature enough to have foreseen this and realized they could continue to work together, or that the writers would allow personal lives to dictate the fictional story.  I never watched One Tree Hill, but Sophia Bush worked closely with her ex-husband for years after their relationship ended and the show continued.

They worked together after their divorce, but they had just a few scenes AND they broke Brucas up after spending half a season trying to convince us that they are meant to be together.

Btw, they've started the whole "who's Erin's real dad? Maybe it's Voight!" storyline and they completely dropped it. Not that they haven't done that a million times before.

• Love 1
On 3/23/2017 at 5:27 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I also watch for what new and exciting prop will cover the bump!  So. Many. File. Folders.  I also find it slightly amusing that they are keeping her on desk duty without actually officially keeping her on desk duty.

Can someone clarify this for me? I felt like I missed something. Why are they unofficially leaving Burgess on desk duty? They made a point of having that scene where Al took Ruzek instead of her. The character isn't pregnant on the show (that's why they're hiding it right?) so why are the writers making a point of showing us that she's basically on unofficial desk duty?

I did not read the scene where Olinsky told her to stay put at her desk as her being on official desk duty. I thought he couldn't handle being around her because she reminded him of his daughter and therefore he picked Ruzek as his partner. Obviously Olinsky being old-school emotionally repressed would not give her the true reason instead he came up with weird reasons that she's eating, that it's cold outside (that cracked me up) and then he basically dragged Ruzek with him in order to stop a conversation that made him uncomfortable. It was very subtle or maybe too subtle or maybe I read it wrong.

• Love 2

Whatever Olinsky's reason, I think that Squerciati might simply be so far along by now that they keep her mostly at a desk so that they don't have to worry about how to set-up shots. In the precinct, they can keep her seated or give her a file, hide her behind one of the things they've standing around. In the field, they often use wide-shots and we see a lot of the actors, and they'd have the find a way around that which could probably take a long time to set up. So, it's probably easier to just leave Burgess out of the field as much as possible at this point.

3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I did not read the scene where Olinsky told her to stay put at her desk as her being on official desk duty. I thought he couldn't handle being around her because she reminded him of his daughter and therefore he picked Ruzek as his partner. Obviously Olinsky being old-school emotionally repressed would not give her the true reason instead he came up with weird reasons that she's eating, that it's cold outside (that cracked me up) and then he basically dragged Ruzek with him in order to stop a conversation that made him uncomfortable. It was very subtle or maybe too subtle or maybe I read it wrong.

Agreed. That's how I read it, too. He was trying to take care of her.

I don't think they've said anything officially (on the show), even though Voight told her that she needs to prove herself by doing all the menial tasks-getting warrants etc. Marina definitely can't do "action sequences" but they can't really discuss this on the show without making another "Burgess is kept on the sidelines to prove herself" storyline.

I do wonder how they're going to explain her absence during Marina's maternity leave.

I am guessing her maternity leave has something to do with her sister & that upcoming storyline. Maybe she takes time off to help her.

I did read that Marina also was quite sick with the flu during that episode so maybe they just left her back at the 'District' and didn't make a big deal of it because in reality they didn't want her out in the field filming if she was unwell.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Guildford said:

I am guessing her maternity leave has something to do with her sister & that upcoming storyline. Maybe she takes time off to help her.

After I read about the upcoming story, that was my thought as well.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Whatever Olinsky's reason, I think that Squerciati might simply be so far along by now that they keep her mostly at a desk so that they don't have to worry about how to set-up shots. In the precinct, they can keep her seated or give her a file, hide her behind one of the things they've standing around. In the field, they often use wide-shots and we see a lot of the actors, and they'd have the find a way around that which could probably take a long time to set up. So, it's probably easier to just leave Burgess out of the field as much as possible at this point.

This.

I didn't mean to say that she was really on desk duty.  I think people misunderstood me, sorry.  It seems the writers are coming up with minor excuses to keep her out of the "action" though, which makes sense for both filming and the actress's own health.  Marina may not be comfortable standing for so long outside in the weather.  But I think it's cute that the writers are giving her a break, so to speak, with Voight saying she needs to prove herself, and Al caring about her with it being so cold outside.  

On 24 March 2017 at 10:34 PM, dreamcatcher said:

They worked together after their divorce, but they had just a few scenes AND they broke Brucas up after spending half a season trying to convince us that they are meant to be together.

I think the show not being a teen drama with triangles would at least prevent us that kind of angst. I do however like both as a drama free couple and hope they work things out and can get back to that. Bush and Murray never interacted again nor did they speak publicly about the split until after Murray left the show whereas Bush and Soffer seem invested in keeping a friendly front and continue to support "Lindstead".

On 3/24/2017 at 6:34 PM, dreamcatcher said:

Didn't she date three different people from One Tree Hill though?  I just mentioned her ex-husband, but there were others.  Again, I never saw the show, but it seems to have not been an issue.

Either way, I hope this week's episode at least has some mention of something to continue the story, and doesn't just drop it totally for a few weeks.  There needs to be some continuation, even if it's small, like one of them having to explain to Voight.  Sounds like the personal story is shifting to Burgess for this week, but they can't forget what they did last week.

• Love 1

Yes she had dated three of the male leads by the time the show came to an end and it didn't seem to affect her professionalism so here's hoping this is also the case because I hate when tptb allow a real life relationship to dictate the characters one also. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Yes she had dated three of the male leads by the time the show came to an end and it didn't seem to affect her professionalism so here's hoping this is also the case because I hate when tptb allow a real life relationship to dictate the characters one also. 

Well, if Derek Haas is telling the truth, he said he stays out of the casts' personal lives.  So hopefully the writers write what they want to write.  (His tweet has since been deleted because people raged that he answered a personal question in the first place.)

6 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Well, if Derek Haas is telling the truth, he said he stays out of the casts' personal lives.  So hopefully the writers write what they want to write.  (His tweet has since been deleted because people raged that he answered a personal question in the first place.)

God, that was all getting way OTT. I mean people actually tag SB & JLS in tweets asking if they are together. I think some more of the rage needed to go to the person who actually asked it. Derek perhaps should have skipped it in hindsight, but I am sure everyone is sick of people asking so maybe he thought it would put it to bed once and for all but it just created a shitstorm.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Guildford said:

God, that was all getting way OTT. I mean people actually tag SB & JLS in tweets asking if they are together. I think some more of the rage needed to go to the person who actually asked it. Derek perhaps should have skipped it in hindsight, but I am sure everyone is sick of people asking so maybe he thought it would put it to bed once and for all but it just created a shitstorm.

Sometimes I wonder if famous people shouldn't just come out and set the record straight.  I understand that it's no one's business but their own and they need privacy, but at some point making an announcement has to be better than tolerating the internet trolls.

Personally, I am a huge fan of Sophia Bush and especially as a person. Some people don't think she's a good actress and I guess that's a bit subjective either way. But she handled her divorce very professionally -the same can't be said for Murray- and I'm sure it must have been very hard. So I don't think Sophia has an issue working with an ex, the situation with Murray was completely different. And since Linstead never had as many "intimate" scenes as Brucas (and most couples in tv shows in general), I don't think this is about the actors. I think the writers have a difficulty with writing stuff for these characters outside the law enforcement drama. They dropped Burzek, they forgot about Olinsky's other daughter, Antonio completely forgot he had a family etc.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Personally, I am a huge fan of Sophia Bush and especially as a person. Some people don't think she's a good actress and I guess that's a bit subjective either way. But she handled her divorce very professionally -the same can't be said for Murray- and I'm sure it must have been very hard. So I don't think Sophia has an issue working with an ex, the situation with Murray was completely different. And since Linstead never had as many "intimate" scenes as Brucas (and most couples in tv shows in general), I don't think this is about the actors. I think the writers have a difficulty with writing stuff for these characters outside the law enforcement drama. They dropped Burzek, they forgot about Olinsky's other daughter, Antonio completely forgot he had a family etc.

And what's with Atwater's siblings?  Can we get a story with them please?  He's a late-20-something year-old single man who works a very demanding job and is the sole guardian to his younger brother and sister - there is so much potential there!  I think we've seen a story with them maybe twice, in four seasons?

I understand why the writers want a romance/relationship.  It draws in more viewers than just a straight up cop drama that has no character development at all.  And I'm a "Lindstead" fan, so I personally want to see it.  But why is it at the expense of every other character?  I think each character should have equal airtime if this really is an ensemble cast.  I'm fine with Jason Beghe, Sophia Bush, and Jesse Lee Soffer being the three stars (now that Jon Seda left), but I don't think that's the way the show is/was intended.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Antonio forgot he had a family? He mentioned his kids A LOT. We saw Diego on Chicago Fire for crying out loud. He mentioned Eva when she was at SAT Prep and he mentioned her on chicago justice. Diego called Antonio in season 3 episode 2 and on 3x16. Come on now. pay attention.

3 hours ago, Elliebab said:

Antonio forgot he had a family? He mentioned his kids A LOT. We saw Diego on Chicago Fire for crying out loud. He mentioned Eva when she was at SAT Prep and he mentioned her on chicago justice. Diego called Antonio in season 3 episode 2 and on 3x16. Come on now. pay attention.

For the record, two of the instances you mention occurred on other shows. And I agree with @dreamcatcher that it was very rare that he took his kids into account, unless a fight with his ex-wife could move the story.  Yes, Diego was kidnapped on PD, but i rarely remember them being mentioned other than Antonio talking to them on the phone.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

And what's with Atwater's siblings?  Can we get a story with them please?  He's a late-20-something year-old single man who works a very demanding job and is the sole guardian to his younger brother and sister - there is so much potential there!  I think we've seen a story with them maybe twice, in four seasons?

I understand why the writers want a romance/relationship.  It draws in more viewers than just a straight up cop drama that has no character development at all.  And I'm a "Lindstead" fan, so I personally want to see it.  But why is it at the expense of every other character?  I think each character should have equal airtime if this really is an ensemble cast.  I'm fine with Jason Beghe, Sophia Bush, and Jesse Lee Soffer being the three stars (now that Jon Seda left), but I don't think that's the way the show is/was intended.

Right, I even forgot about that! The thing is, they don't even focus that much on Linstead. It's not like they have (romantic) scenes in every single episode so I think they could focus on a different character for every episode. It doesn't even have to be a huge storyline like with Erin's dad (which again, they completely dropped it even after implying that Voight could be her bio dad). We could see Atwater checking in on his siblings. Or get a call from their school and have a brief scene about that. Just 2 minutes out of 45 once per season isn't that hard to achieve.

18 hours ago, Elliebab said:

14 hours ago, betsyboo said:

For the record, two of the instances you mention occurred on other shows. And I agree with @dreamcatcher that it was very rare that he took his kids into account, unless a fight with his ex-wife could move the story.  Yes, Diego was kidnapped on PD, but i rarely remember them being mentioned other than Antonio talking to them on the phone.

Well, I am paying attention. As @betsyboo said, these didn't happened on CPD. I only watch chicago fire, and I just started watching it a few months ago. I'm only counting what they show on CPD, not outside of it. Antonio was supposed to be a main character and in S1 he was pretty much the focus for the first few episodes, by losing his partner and then everything that happened with Diego etc. And we moved from that to divorcing out of the blue to barely mention anything about his personal life. Even his relationship with Brett was completely kept outside of CPD. Maybe you think that Antonio got enough screentime, but i don't agree.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

Right, I even forgot about that! The thing is, they don't even focus that much on Linstead. It's not like they have (romantic) scenes in every single episode so I think they could focus on a different character for every episode. It doesn't even have to be a huge storyline like with Erin's dad (which again, they completely dropped it even after implying that Voight could be her bio dad). We could see Atwater checking in on his siblings. Or get a call from their school and have a brief scene about that. Just 2 minutes out of 45 once per season isn't that hard to achieve.

Right, I totally agree.  Or even a few more scenes at Molly's to show all the characters at once (outside of work).  I get the appeal of a police procedural drama, but there has to be a little more to it to keep the interest of a wider audience.  

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Right, I totally agree.  Or even a few more scenes at Molly's to show all the characters at once (outside of work).  I get the appeal of a police procedural drama, but there has to be a little more to it to keep the interest of a wider audience.  

Right! They used to have a few scenes with more characters outside of work. I would like Kim and Atwater hanging out since they were partners and friends since the beginning of the show. Or Erin and Lindsay. It doesn't even have to be the whole cast since I'm guessing it's hard to schedule a scene with everyone present. But all the scenes we get outside of the case of the week is almost always something dramatic.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Right, I even forgot about that! The thing is, they don't even focus that much on Linstead. It's not like they have (romantic) scenes in every single episode so I think they could focus on a different character for every episode. It doesn't even have to be a huge storyline like with Erin's dad (which again, they completely dropped it even after implying that Voight could be her bio dad).

Who says they dropped it? No one involved was in any state of mind to pursue this any further. Lindsay had had this argument with her mom, so she wasn't going to go back and ask who her dad was, she doesn't expect Voight to know, so she wouldn't ask and she was probably fed up anyway. She's lived for so long without knowing her father, and I don't think she was emotionally ready to dig into it. Voight wouldn't bring it up because he probably think it'll have to be Lindsay's decision and Lindsay's mom will probably bring it up when it suits her. So, I'd say, at the point in the show, the story had gone as far as it could do. But that doesn't mean that it's over and won't come back.

I guess season's not over so I shouldn't be so negative. But we do have an indication of what the rest of the episodes are going to be about and we have Burgess Drama and then they said they're focusing on Jay. I hope they prove me wrong, but given that they also completely dropped Olinsky's paternity storyline and that they have dropped way too many storylines, I don't have high hopes.

And I'm not hating on the show. I love police procedurals and CPD is one of the best imo. But they have difficulty in writing outside stories for these characters. For example I think CF is much more balanced in the sense that at least there's more continuity and they don't drop storylines completely.

• Love 1

While I like Chicago PD and Fire, I feel like Third Watch did it better. They had a way of balancing work and showing the characters personal lives that was riveting. We learned about Bosco's screwed up family, Faith and her kids, Kim, Jimmy, etc. It made you really care of them in a way that I find lacking on this show.

• Love 1
On ‎30‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 4:24 PM, dreamcatcher said:

I guess season's not over so I shouldn't be so negative. But we do have an indication of what the rest of the episodes are going to be about and we have Burgess Drama and then they said they're focusing on Jay. I hope they prove me wrong, but given that they also completely dropped Olinsky's paternity storyline and that they have dropped way too many storylines, I don't have high hopes.

But just because it'll likely not come back up this season, it doesn't mean that it's forgotten :-)

As I said, I don't think Lindsay is emotionally ready for it anyway and I like that the writers aren't pushing it just to finish the story. In my opinion, that would not be realistic as it's not just as simple as finding out or wanting to find out. There are two sides to the coin because you don't know what you'll find out. 

I don't think it's a dropped story. Sure, there is a chance it may never come up again but I think that it might, some time down the road. It's probably one fo those things that fans will remind TPTB of, and I think that if they feel the time is right, they are likely to revisit it.

(edited)

I don't really want to see much of the characters' outside personal lives but I definitely want/need at least indirect reminders that they have them so they are multidimensional. Totally agree that the Chicago writers are terrible at this and continuity in general. And yes this was originally Seda's show imo but I think Voight's character became so compelling and Jason Beghe is so strong that Seda got pushed to the side; imo he's not that well written on Justice either.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 2
On 7/4/2017 at 1:10 AM, MakeMeLaugh said:

I don't really want to see much of the characters' outside personal lives but I definitely want/need at least indirect reminders that they have them so they are multidimensional. Totally agree that the Chicago writers are terrible at this and continuity in general. And yes this was originally Seda's show imo but I think Voight's character became so compelling and Jason Beghe is so strong that Seda got pushed to the side; imo he's not that well written on Justice either.

I agree about Seda. He was reduced to just a side character and I still can't figure out why. I'm not sure why the writers struggle so much with giving substance to these characters. Even little scenes like Ruzek saying he is lovable in response to Kim saying that her sister hates him now is enough. They do write great stories when they include huge losses like with Nadia or Kim's sister but they shouldn't have to add more drama just to give these characters some personality.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

I agree about Seda. He was reduced to just a side character and I still can't figure out why. I'm not sure why the writers struggle so much with giving substance to these characters. Even little scenes like Ruzek saying he is lovable in response to Kim saying that her sister hates him now is enough. They do write great stories when they include huge losses like with Nadia or Kim's sister but they shouldn't have to add more drama just to give these characters some personality.

I can think of two things - the other characters, particularly Lindsay and yes, Burgess, became very strong characters, the former through her backstory, the latter because of the stories they gave her and the other thing could be fan response.

I don't know if they had more background of Antonio but we're not given a whole lot whereas they had a lot to work with with Lindsay and Voight from the get-go. Jay just became part of it when he became Lindsay's love interest.

It might be that they couldn't write more storylines for Antonio's past. Fans already knew him as Gabby's brother, they introduced his family too and the part that he used to work undercover. And for some reason the writers do prefer bringing up the characters' past so I guess the rest of the characters have more "juice".

On 4/8/2017 at 1:41 PM, CheshireCat said:

I don't know if they had more background of Antonio but we're not given a whole lot whereas they had a lot to work with with Lindsay and Voight from the get-go. Jay just became part of it when he became Lindsay's love interest.

Maybe you don't watch Chicago Fire, but Jay was actually the third character to be introduced (after Voight and Antonio).  He had a guest star role on a 4-5 episode arc where he dated Gabby and was undercover to take down the mobster guy who demanded money from Molly's.  Then Lindsay is introduced and dates Severide at some point.  In my opinion, it was pretty obvious that Voight, Antonio, Jay, and Erin were meant to be the "main" characters.  (Atwater is actually in Chicago Fire as well, but not given a main role.)  I agree that others have become popular after they were introduced, but I for one am still on board with the "originals" as my favorites.  I don't care for Kim and Ruzek is hit or miss; I do like Al and Atwater though.

11 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Maybe you don't watch Chicago Fire, but Jay was actually the third character to be introduced (after Voight and Antonio).  He had a guest star role on a 4-5 episode arc where he dated Gabby and was undercover to take down the mobster guy who demanded money from Molly's.  Then Lindsay is introduced and dates Severide at some point.  In my opinion, it was pretty obvious that Voight, Antonio, Jay, and Erin were meant to be the "main" characters.  (Atwater is actually in Chicago Fire as well, but not given a main role.)  I agree that others have become popular after they were introduced, but I for one am still on board with the "originals" as my favorites.  I don't care for Kim and Ruzek is hit or miss; I do like Al and Atwater though.

I did watch the Chicago Fire episodes. But I was thinking about how they were treated in the first season of PD. Antonio, Voight and Lindsay were rather dominant/had stories whereas I never thought that Jay was dominant.

On 4/8/2017 at 7:31 AM, dreamcatcher said:

I agree about Seda. He was reduced to just a side character and I still can't figure out why.

When I first heard about him moving to Justice, I was happy for him, thinking he'd get a bigger role. But no, his part there is really no bigger (if not actually smaller) than on PD. I don't get why he'd want to move, unless it wasn't his choice.

Among the things forgotten: Antonio's boxing gym. We haven't heard any mention of it all season, let alone seen him or anyone else there.

13 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I did watch the Chicago Fire episodes. But I was thinking about how they were treated in the first season of PD. Antonio, Voight and Lindsay were rather dominant/had stories whereas I never thought that Jay was dominant.

Didn't he have the whole story with his ex-girlfriend's brother and then being accused of murder?  I can't remember, maybe that was season 2...

It was season one I think Jay has been dominant since the first episode be it through the Lonnie storyline or his friendship with Lindsay. He took over Antonios role as the by the book cop to voights rule breaker almost straight away.