Type keyword(s) to search

S24: David Ross - Can He Catch A Mirrorball?

• Start Topic

David Wade Ross (born March 19, 1977) is an American former professional baseball catcher in Major League Baseball (MLB). Ross played college baseball for Auburn University and the University of Florida, and participated in two College World Series. He started his major league career playing for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2002, and has also played for the Pittsburgh Pirates, San Diego Padres, Cincinnati Reds, Boston Red Sox, Atlanta Braves, and Chicago Cubs. Ross won the World Series with the Boston Red Sox in 2013 and the Chicago Cubs in 2016.

ABC-Lindsay-Arnold-David-Ross-DWTS-ml-170228_4x3_992.jpg

(edited)

I am so excited about this. Don't be surprised to see Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant in the audience Week 1. : )

I have a feeling we'll see him do at least one dance to "Forever Young." 

Edited by Sister Havana
  • Love 6

I'm a Red Sox fan from way back and rooted for the Cubs to win the WS. David Ross played for both WS team winners and he is a hell of guy. I don't know if he will win but I will root for him to last for a while.

• Love 2
On 3/1/2017 at 2:47 PM, vavera4ka said:

There are few latin dances that can be crammed into "Go Cubs Go" rhythm lol

They're doing the Quickstep to that song on Monday. Now I'm sure there will be some other Cubs in the audience that evening, especially since they have a 1pm spring training game that day, it's a short flight from Phoenix to LA, and they have an off day on Tuesday. : ) Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them involved in the dance!

Edited by Sister Havana
  • Love 1

Quickstep is a pretty nice dance for the first week. Nobody is expecting any kind of technique, because everyone knows how hard this dance is. But it's also fun and classy. 

It almost always makes me smile.

Also, very unlikely that Ross will be the first to go. A good complicated dance to get out of the way without any risk of elimination. 

Hey blaase, if I had been one of the judges, I would have scored that dance an 8, maybe a 9, and held up a big W sign along with my number paddle. Next week I'm giving him a 10 and I don't even have to see the dance.

• Love 6

What's up with the busy signal! I can't vote today. I hope that means that David is getting a lot of votes. I think he did very well and I loved his baby girl saying "Let's Go Cubs" during the rehearsal. So cute and Daddy dancing with her too.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rcc said:

What's up with the busy signal! I can't vote today. I hope that means that David is getting a lot of votes. I think he did very well and I loved his baby girl saying "Let's Go Cubs" during the rehearsal. So cute and Daddy dancing with her too.

She actually said "Go Cubs Go". She knows what the team's song is. ;) 

• Love 2

David came to our Cubs two seasons ago as the "personal catcher" for Jon Lester (pitcher).  Sounds at first like he would be an entitled drag, but during that season (2015) he became a vocal cheerleader for the team.  So much so, that during one game, he razzed the umpire so vocally that he was thrown out of the game and he wasn't even playing!  That's when I knew what kind of character he had and the following year, he became everyone's "Grandpa Rossy" and really took the players under his wing.  But not in an old vet way, but, as his walk-up music was "Forever Young"  So what you see on Dancing is not an act for the show; that's how he's been.  I look forward to voting for him for a while yet.

• Love 12
38 minutes ago, UYI said:

She actually said "Go Cubs Go". She knows what the team's song is. ;) 

Right! My bad. I'm not really a Cubs fan but a fan of David's as a Red Sox. I did root for the Cubs to win the WS though.

6 hours ago, rcc said:

You can only phone vote for an hour after the show ends in your timezone.

I really liked Bonner's dance last night and David was better last week. So I split my vote. One I liked the best and the other because I love David.

Objectivity be damned.

Edited by rcc
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Sister Havana said:

Cubs tweeted out this video today - highlights from Week 1 with a bit of interview footage.

Can't wait to see how he does with the cha cha! 

David being modest. He was a very good catcher who made the pitchers better and could get a clutch hit more often than not. That is why he won two WS with two different teams. Not a blip David Ross!

6 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Rossy's gonna be dancing while his Cubbies get the WS banner raised.  I hope he will be here (Chicago) for the ring ceremony on Wednesday.

Forever Young is his walk-up music.

He will be there on Wednesday, from what I read that's one of the reasons it is on Wednesday. He is also supposedly throwing out the first pitch and singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". 

• Love 2

Cubs game had a rain delay, so the ceremonial stuff happened about 2 hours late. Grandpa's turn to dance came just before the ceremonies started. And so the Cubs filled a little time by showing his DWTS appearance (dance, comments, scores) on the big screen in the stadium and then put up the number to call to vote for him. Incoming to ABC, 38000 votes from Wrigley Field for Grandpa Rossy.

Edit to add this link from WGN:

Cubs fans cheer on a dancing David Ross during rain delay at Wrigley Field

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 4

David is the weakest dancer out of the 4 left (and should be eliminated next week imo), but i won't be shocked if he makes it to the finals. Baseball fans are voting hard.

i'm surprised that david is the first baseball player to be on the show. i guess this is proof that future mlb players will be major contenders like football players seem to be.

• Love 1

Problem with seeking out MLB players....they play from the end of February (spring training) until October.  It means they are usually unavailable for either season of DWTS.  David happened to retire at 39 (now 40), having finished his career with the Cubs, as part of a World Series winning effort.  It was the perfect time to invite an MLB player to participate.

• Love 5
(edited)

He surprised a lot of people.  This isn't a dance show.  It's a reality show based on dancing.  He did good but I think he was happy he didn't win. 

ETA:  But I'm glad they cast ringers so that there's some good dancing.  I enjoy watching them.

Edited by crossover
  • Love 2

Yep, I get the feeling he was relieved he didn't win.  Of course, he loved getting the support of Cubs fans (along with MLB fans in general)...but being in the finals was an amazing finish in itself.  

• Love 1