Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Gabriel: [maximum sarcasm] You guys want me to rat out a client ?? Is that all??

Grimes: Lend me 2 million bucks

Carter: [pointing at Grimes] Gabriel, you want to kill his dumb ass or should I?

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1

They've definitely stepped it up with these last couple of episodes. Glad they finally killed Ben. He earned it. 

Isaac's story was interesting at first, but now it's starting to go off the rails for me. So he was able to cut the deal with the Dominicans but then he comes back home and goes psycho. I get that he fears loyalty is in short supply with his crew, but his business is back on track, right? Now that he has the deal with the Dominicans. And why does he think someone in his crew were in cohoots with Aisha and her ex to try and kill him? I'm completely confused here.

Same goes for the teenage girl who just tied up her father. Did they come to the U.S. as good honest people but then at some point she and her brother got radicalized?  

I knew the guy working for the terrorist leader was gone end up dead. He'd disrespected and usurped him too many times. That said, do we know why the terrorist leader didn't want the codes sent yet? I'd think he'd be eager to activate the cells.

I probably just need to go back and watch all the episodes over again because I've obviously missed a few things in my attempt to multitask while watching this. LOL

Despite being a little lost, I thought tonight and last week's episodes were at least engaging.

29 minutes ago, Enero said:

That said, do we know why the terrorist leader didn't want the codes sent yet? I'd think he'd be eager to activate the cells.

Bin Khalid wants to activate all the cells at once rather than one at a time. He figures 15 simultaneous attacks will be more effective and more secure than launching them one at a time. But because the flash drive was damaged his terror-IT guy is having trouble getting all the codes. He's only been able to unlock one so far and fortunately for our heroes it's the code for the most inept terrorists ever.

Pretty standard-issue 24 here. Heroes are chasing the only lead, uninvited houseguests are showing up at the worst possible time, the bad guy being interrogated successfully wastes CTU's valuable time, the tac team arrives a few seconds too late... Not a terrible episode but definitely filler.

• Love 2

They still have the old CTU ringtone!

I wish Nicole would get the f*ck out of Isaac's place.

So now Rebecca's Father In Law (Can't remember his name right now) is denying everything. Interesting.

Also, I have got to stop watching Homeland and 24 on the same night-my mind is mixing those two shows together.

• Love 2

The last few seconds of the episode show how the show has changed: if Jack Bauer needed a terrorist's thumbprint on a computer, he'd cut off the thumb and bring it to the computer instead of the other way around.

• Love 3

So now Rebecca's Father In Law (Can't remember his name right now) is denying everything. Interesting.

Trying to drive a wedge between Rebecca and his son, simple attempt at self-defense, or just trying to make his son look crazy? Or all three?

Just discovered that the actor playing Isaac is British. I think he's doing pretty good with the American accent although I'd say his AAVE-speak often comes across as a bit affected. I'm now putting him on my "potential James Bond replacement" list. He probably needs to lose a little weight though.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, TDT said:

I guess next week's episode will have a bridge being blown up as the big set piece

Since they already used actual terrorist footage, maybe they will just use scenes from the Dark Knight Rises

11 minutes ago, paigow said:

Is there really a Mullins- Locke - Andy triangle? Mullins really wants to fire Andy...his top analyst...by any means necessary...any other reason than love / jealousy?

Man, I wish. But Andy didn't seem too concerned about Locke's vest taking on a clip of lead in the previous episode so they're not really playing them up. Back in the day you'd have had a scene of the love interest checking on their estranged loved one in medical, but Andy was too busy helping Rebecca and Eric.  Heck even in this episode you could've had Andy staring at Locke as he's about to go back out to meet Eric after being patched up and a worried look flit over his face with the other analyst saying 'I checked his medical records. Just a few bruised ribs' with Andy shrugging and saying 'He's no longer my concern' with Locke throwing a look back in his direction without Andy seeing before he leaves.  I guess with fewer episodes they're cutting all that out. But I wish we had something.

Mullins is right to be pissed that after handing over CTU to him that she not only comes back in and runs a secret op right under his nose, she has the complete support of an analyst who can (and did) cripple his operation to allow Eric to break Ben out. I get that Mullins is supposed to be an obstacle but he's got legit reason to want Andy out if he can't trust him.

Eric runs hot and cold for me in that there are times I love his reactions in certain situations but his continued barking down at Mullins and Locke is getting old. Locke didn't ruin the last exchange at the train station; he actually saved Eric and Ben's lives by calling out the incoming assault. Locke didn't ruin this op; Eric told them where to set up, when to come in, and it went sideways because Gabriel got the drop on him twice - once to alert his men that the attack was coming and again when Gabriel slit his own throat. Eric is having a combination of bad luck and unpredictable opponents but CTU actually isn't the main problem. The way the confrontation with Gabriel went, it was going to go sideways no matter what. Eric needs to chill with his blame game. And Andy needs to leave CTU if he loves Rebecca so much and thinks Mullins is such a dink. Otherwise stop the snark and give him a reason that you're indispensable.

Issac was really having a no good bad day but he shouldn't have laid hands on Nicole. But I did like his complete apology and thank you to Nicole. He really covered all his bases, LOL.

Of course the most inept cell got the code to do an attack.  I have zero sympathy for Amira at this point. She's killed an innocent teen kid, seduced a high school teacher into building her a bomb, and now has tied up her diabetic father. Come on, girl! Really hope Drew was revived after she fled and spilled all, LOL.

Major Dad's firm denial of everything leaving his son sputtering was actually hilarious. Rebecca's expression to John said to me 'Oh, honey, you thought he was going to roll over that easy? You do know that we're going to have to employ some not so nice interrogation tactics on your dad, right?'

We're halfway through the season and nothing catastrophic has happened yet.  Something big needs to happen next week to pivot this season into all out craziness.

• Love 2

Anyone notice that Carter has acquired Bauer's magic powers of healing?  I could barely discern the thrashing he took in the first hour. Father Chechen takes a serious beat down--but when Amirs removes the duct tape from his mouth--there is nary a mark on his face!

• Love 1

I'm straight up irrationally glad that dumbass Ben got clipped, though it was probably telegraphed from the moment Gabriel revealed that he'd screwed him out of $50K in a failed weapons deal.  I mean, damn, not even Mr. Harris made so many bad choices (albeit his one big one trumps most of Ben's small ones).  By loose extension, it was also just a matter of time before Hipster Kid Terrorist took his lieutenant out for defying/questioning him, and we all saw that coming, but the show actually took its time with it and it made more sense than nearly anything besides Papa Chechen trying to smack some sense of his own into Khasan.  And speaking of sense...

22 hours ago, Enero said:

Isaac's story was interesting at first, but now it's starting to go off the rails for me. So he was able to cut the deal with the Dominicans but then he comes back home and goes psycho. I get that he fears loyalty is in short supply with his crew, but his business is back on track, right? Now that he has the deal with the Dominicans. And why does he think someone in his crew were in cohoots with Aisha and her ex to try and kill him? I'm completely confused here.

Up to the point where Action Bae Nicole intervened, IMO, Isaac's flipout worked: if his new girl and a henchman could flip on him, and he'd just bluffed his way out of a hit, who else in his crew could be involved?  But then Nicole soothed the savage druglord, and that just felt off to me: it seemed like too much of a pendulum swing the other way.  It might have worked if he'd at least said something about worrying about Aisha later, I dunno...but he went straight from furious to fiending (for Nicole again), and it was just abrupt enough to be annoying.

This one got the ball rolling a little bit more, especially killing off Ben in  a cool fakeout way.  He had it coming. Hope his sis bitch slaps him.

But Isaac and Nicole bore me tears.  The ultimate filler plot , and I just wish they would move it along.

And so must silliness still abounds.  Ben giving himself an incredibly smooth and nice looking shave with the itty bitty scissors, Rebecca running interrogation on her own Major Dad in law, and of course brother and sister tying up  poor, morally upright Chechen Dad.  

Still think Eric is kinda a blah, weak lead. Though I did like how he gave Ben the stink eye and seemed to genuinely think about killing him. (We know Jack could do it.)

• Love 3
On 2/28/2017 at 10:28 AM, paigow said:

Is there really a Mullins- Locke - Andy triangle? Mullins really wants to fire Andy...his top analyst...by any means necessary...any other reason than love / jealousy?

On 2/28/2017 at 11:04 AM, TobinAlbers said:

Mullins is right to be pissed that after handing over CTU to him that she not only comes back in and runs a secret op right under his nose, she has the complete support of an analyst who can (and did) cripple his operation to allow Eric to break Ben out. I get that Mullins is supposed to be an obstacle but he's got legit reason to want Andy out if he can't trust him.

Andy has pulled insubordinate crap at least twice now.  If I were Mullins, he wouldn't just be out of his chair, he'd be spending time in a cell with Major Dad.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/1/2017 at 4:38 AM, vb68 said:

Still think Eric is kinda a blah, weak lead. 

I hate to diss Corey Hawkins. He is a competant actor and quite nice to look at. I haven't seen him in anything else, but in this role he just dosn't have the magnetic charisma that made Kiefer/Jack so compelling.

In fact, I can't think of any characters this season who do that for me. I am trying to judge Legacy on its own merits, but I must say that the characters of the original 24 is part of what made that show so special.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2
On 2017-03-01 at 3:38 AM, vb68 said:

And so must silliness still abounds.  Ben giving himself an incredibly smooth and nice looking shave with the itty bitty scissors, Rebecca running interrogation on her own Major Dad in law, and of course brother and sister tying up  poor, morally upright Chechen Dad.

I was very amused and impressed at how well those tiny shears do such a good job removing the facial hair. So quickly too! 

• Love 1

This episode was terrible in my opinion. If this was the original 24 it would've been perfectly fine. One or two filler episodes when you have to stretch it to 24 episodes is to be expected. If you only have 12 episodes though, I expect the momentum to be there and the story to be tight enough you don't HAVE filler episodes. If they already were feeling stretched I would've done the bridge collapse they're teasing next week and perhaps a time jump there. 

Something that I feel is hurting Eric as a lead is that there feels like nothing for him to lose. Yeah Nicole has some stuff going on, but she's been completely disconnected from the main plot. I feel like she can handle herself so you don't have the added hurdle of him trying to save her. He used his own car to drop her off, yet none of the terrorists have attempted to locate her? It's just weird. I don't blame any of the actors because I do feel they have a strong cast, but the writing is feeling very procedural and by the numbers. The only storyline that feels tense is the Nicole/Isaac storyline and it's clearly just meant to be filler. I need all the stories to have that tension and those high stakes. It's hard to care if they eventually attack CTU because CTU's cast is very blah. THey haven't done anything to make me care for those characters, or any to be completely honest. At this point if the terroist attack happens it's more like "oh well."

Bin-Khalid Jr really wants to activate all the sleeper cells...Taking out the Rangers was a side bonus..hunting down the Carters is a lower priority.

1 hour ago, KnotsLanding said:

He used his own car to drop her off, yet none of the terrorists have attempted to locate her?

3 hours ago, paigow said:

Bin-Khalid Jr really wants to activate all the sleeper cells...Taking out the Rangers was a side bonus..hunting down the Carters is a lower priority.

But if Eric is your lead, why are the Carter's such low priority? He doesn't even work at CTU so his heavy involvement now doesn't make much sense. It doesn't seem very well thought out. It's very by the numbers. I just don't see the emotional pull the way you did with Jack. In season one kidnapping his wife and daughter was vital to the main day events. In season two even though Kim wasn't directly involved, just the fact that what was happening could affect her propelled Jack to want to stop it even more. You need some sort of emotional connection to keep us invested. With this being 24 I expect at least a couple major characters to drop any episode now, but I don't care enough about them for that to matter.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:58 AM, marinw said:

Also, I have got to stop watching Homeland and 24 on the same night-my mind is mixing those two shows together.

Homeland is the better one.  I think what is hurting this show is the 8pm time slot.  That must make them be tame. 

Edited by SharonH58
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, SharonH58 said:

Homeland is the better one.  

Homeland is sort of like 24 fanfic if that show dispenced with the real-time format. In Season 1, Brody was in a place that Jack should have been in Day 6: Coming home from years of torture and imprionment, re-intergrating into socity. Peter in Season 6 is where Jack could have been in Day 8: Recovering from exposure to bio-chemical nastiness.

Edited by marinw

A better episode but the show's still not catching fire.

Grimes was annoying and deserves to go.  The Gabriel plot felt redundant of similar Jack storylines in S8 and S9; not awful but a little stale.  Couldn't care less about Mullins and Andy.  The bin Khalid plot is shamelessly treading water.  Nicole and Isaac seem peripheral and the plot doesn't intrigue.  And the Donovan plot is really daft and dull -- a bunch of plot twists rather than characters.

That said, the arrival of the Russian dad provided some good scenes which felt new to the show.  And I thought the compound attack was well-done and the final twist was brilliant.  It's a shame as I think Corey Hawkins is a good lead and there's a lot of potential in this show; I just hope the writers can get some of the old "24" magic back before the end.