Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E01: The Blind Auditions Premiere

Michel
  • Start Topic

Leaked audition:

Sounds pretty good and solid, and I love all four coaches' reactions to him.  And yes, I even know already whom he picks, but I'll keep it to myself unless asked via PM.

• Love 3

Guys I think Blake and Gwen might be dating!?! 

There were a few good ones tonight. The teenage girls both have a lot of potential.

I was really surprised no one turned around for the police officer. She had a few shaking notes in the middle but I liked her voice a lot. Her back story was also moving. I'm glad she found the strength to help herself and now to help others.

Did not like that kid who sang Shawn Mendes. 

• Love 2

Just a few minutes in, I was already sick of the Blake-Gwen cutesiness.   "Can we talk about the elephant in the room?"  Ugh. 

Both of them together is a little too much for me.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Just a few minutes in, I was already sick of the Blake-Gwen cutesiness.   "Can we talk about the elephant in the room?"  Ugh. 

Yep. Listening to first singer. Ugh and shut up Gwen. Why did he choose her? 

• Love 3

The Blake and Gwen nonsense got old FAST.  You're at work, can you try and act like it?  Leave it to the music please. Hopefully they dial it back going forward.

There were some great singers tonight though.  Loved Jay and Felicia Keys. 

• Love 5

Gwen seems nice but her laugh just grates. And I agree with everyone else, stop with constant Blake and Gwen crap. I actually aid to my sister in text, it's pretty bad when you're wishing for Miley to come back. 

Christina are you available?? 

Singers,  I was surprised the first guy choose Gwen. Completely predictable that guitar guy choose Adam. Lol and Kelly Clarksons Piece by Piece makes me tear up every darn time! Ugh that song!

• Love 4

They didn't crown the winner on episode one. That's always something to be thankful for.

Any AGT fans out there? I feel like Brennley Brown (the 14 year old) was on that last year. She got to Vegas, but didn't make the top 40 or 48 iirc. I thought she was pretty weak. I wished Blake would've given the Kentucky guy a shot. He had a really nice voice, just some pretty significant diction issues...

Lauren was actually my favorite. Understated. Super versatile voice with some light and shade. I was impressed. JChosen and Felecia were both solid R&B singers. He might have made a brilliant decision picking Gwen (or he might get Braiden Sunshine'd lol). Felicia might be in danger of losing out to a "newer model" in the battles or KOs on Team Alicia, I guess we'll see as the blinds progress along.

Could've done without Johnny Hayes getting one of the those precious few second chance auditions. He was completely forgettable last season and didn't make much of an impression tonight either. Anatalia (oh hey failed AI teenybopper)...I get that's what that specific Bruno Mars song called for, but that was exhausting. I wonder what directions Alicia will try to go with her. Stephanie and Mark were solidly middle of the pack. Stephanie's brutal backstory overshadowed a voice that got a little wonky/weird halfway through Kelly Clarkson (after she had already turned her two chairs). Mark actually gave us a modern pop radio voice. The fact that stands out as much as it does, tells you all you need to know about the Voice imo.

• Love 3

Team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Johnny Hayes (2)
Mark Isaiah (2)

Team Gwen
JChosen (4)
Stephanie Rice (2)

Team Alicia
Anatalia Villaranda (4)
Felicia Temple (3)

Team Blake
Lauren Duski (3)
Brennley Brown (2)

Names in bold indicate artists who've newly joined a team.  The number in parentheses represents the number of chair turns.  An asterisk indicates that this artist was montaged.

Edited by Jabu
  • Love 8

So glad this show is back!  Some great talent already, and we've just hit the first night!

Joshua "JChosen" Hunter: As @PhD-Purgatory15 said, a solid, solid R&B artist.  I loved the coaches' reactions to him.  Really loved Alicia trying to "hide" from her emotions behind Gwen's chair.  I think his choice of Gwen could either be really smart (as I think being on Adam or Alicia's team would cause him to be lost in the shuffle among other R&B or pop artists, whereas he could stand out quite noticeably on Gwen's) or really stupid if she decides to nurture a younger boy like in season seven (when she screwed over several of her more talented artists who could actually have gotten her a win just to keep Ryan Sill around) and season nine (see the previous thought, only substitute "Ryan Sill" with "Braiden Sunshine").  Also, this note about him from @PhD-Purgatory15:

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:42 PM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

He might have made a brilliant decision picking Gwen (or he might get Braiden Sunshine'd lol).

I think the correct term is Lyndsey Elm'd or Ellie Lawrence'd, as Gwen screwed both of them over quite royally in favor of Braiden.  I really hope that Gwen learned a lesson from that this season.  She took a lot of (well-deserved) brunt for both of those debacles online and on social media.

Lauren Duski: One of my favorites tonight.  She sounded just gorgeous.  Just a beautiful, clear, unforced tone.  Very strong vocals and an even stronger performance.  Blake's got a contender with her.

Johnny Hayes: I got him confused with another guy who was gay and came with his fiancé last season.  That guy was more interesting than this guy.  While his voice was good, there was literally nothing else interesting about him.  Adam can have him.  He'll either be easy fodder for the pre-taped episodes or easy fodder for the live rounds, unless he really gets a fan following going.

Skyler Harris: Felt bad for her, because she really had a great voice.  Given her church influence, you'd think Alicia would've easily eaten it up.  You could see it on her face right when she put her face in her hands that she really wanted to turn.  I thought Skyler sounded great and should've gotten at least one chair to turn around.  I hope she does return another time.

Anatalia Villaranda: Ah, so we've got an Asian artist this season!  And one who wasn't montaged!  I thought the performance was very good.  Not great, but at least good.  She kept her focus the whole time, and her vocals were good.  Probably a bit too forceful and too much energy, but I can see why she got a four-chair turn.  I can definitely see.  I was glad she picked Alicia, whom I think will do right by her.  If she remembers to actually hold onto her four-chair turns this time around, of course.  (You'll remember she immediately dumped Dave Moisan in the Battles and Whitney & Shannon in the Knockouts, only holding onto Wé McDonald.)

Stephanie Rice: First of all, any parent who can disown their child in such a heartless manner just for the crime of being whom he or she is, is just an ugly, disgusting person inside and out.  I barely have a relationship with my own mother and father after the former looked right at me and said I was "not right," but could be "made right," and the latter, a six-time stroke victim, faked memory problems from said stroke to avoid dealing with my coming out to him and continued to obsessively hope for me to find some girls.  So Stephanie gets my full sympathy and support here.  As for her audition, I liked it a lot.  It definitely got a bit off course after Gwen and Blake turned around, but for the most part, it still sounded solid and flowing before then.  Blake might've been a good choice for her, but I can see why she picked Gwen.  She really fought for her.  Let's hope that Gwen doesn't screw her over, though, because I think she might have a contender.

Branden Martin: He had a nice, strong voice and a very good, rich tone, but there was the issue of diction (as said above) and enunciation.  Going on both of those, I can see why no one turned.  Still, I think he was strong enough that Blake could've thrown him a bone and turned, anyway.  But this soon after Sundance's win, I think it's probably for the best that someone who looks so much like him not be on the show proper for the time being.

Mark Isaiah: Solid, middling voice in the mid-range and the lower range, but I don't see him doing well in his upper range.  While his audition was all right, I didn't find him to be anything special or unique.  Probably more easy fodder on Adam's team.

Brennley Brown: I liked her voice.  It was a good performance.  But due to her age and inexperience, I can't see Blake taking her far.  Due to her country preference, he was unquestionably the right choice for her, but if Blake puts her against one of his older artists, she could find herself out of the game very quickly.

Shaun Chrisjohn: Another one I'm surprised didn't get a turn.  Adam and Alicia both looked interested from the moment they heard his voice.  And yet . . . nothing materialized from that.  Not even a turn.  His voice was strong and clear, and yet . . . nothing?  Just don't get that one.

Felicia Temple: I think, for the backstory alone, Alicia's picked up a contender.  The cancer angle is an easy way to win over voters.  Provided Alicia gets her to the Lives, of course.  But as for the performance, it was amazingly strong and on point.  Even though Gwen and Blake turned around, as well, they both knew it was futile, and that Alicia had her.

The coaches all have good chemistry once again, and I was actually quite impressed with Gwen.  She only slipped into talking about the look of an artist once, with Anatalia, but otherwise focused on actual vocals this time, as well as on hitting the right emotional beats with the artists.  It might just be me, but I think she might've read the criticism of her past pitches and worked on a more competitive approach during her time away.  It seems to be working, looking at the two contenders she's gotten so far!  And on top of it all, she actually seems happier and more refreshed!  It's a stark contrast for how "off" she felt in season nine, during which she was dealing with her divorce from Gavin Rossdale.  Since being with Blake, she has been upbeat and more positive!  It's like being with him has done wonders for her.  She is actively having a lot more fun with the other coaches and is just as good-natured in fighting for whom she wants.  Good for you, Gwen!

That said, I do agree that the Gwen/Blake moments are going to be too much, but I have a feeling that a lot of it is producer-prompted.

I rewound and watched Adam's "cricket" moment several times!  His face when he realized he was hearing them?  Priceless!  Even NBC or the producers seem tired of his "same old, same old" pitches!

For a final note, I find it absolutely delicious that the women were the only ones who got the four-chair turns tonight.  Neither man did, which was awesome.:)

Great start!  Hoping for two more good ones tomorrow and Thursday!:)

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 10

TiredMe I totally hear you on that "Piece by Piece" song! I was already in tears over Texarkana girl's backstory - gay issues are particularly sensitive to me as my son is gay and many of his friends' families had difficulties accepting their child's orientation - so I'm already in tears over her family disowning her - and then she has to sing THAT song!! I was a mess. Don't know if she hit all the notes but she got to me and I'm glad she got through. 

I was prepared to dislike the teenagers but I thought they were all good. I watched AGT for the first and last time last season, and I'm sorry to say I don't recall Brennley Brown. But I liked her last night and I thought she was much better than AGT's winner, Grace Vander"Squeak".  Grace was cute but her voice was like nails on a chalkboard to me and she is the reason I won't be watching AGT again. 

Favorite moment of the show was actual crickets chirping while Adam was speaking. Please don't tell me that this was fake. I need to hold on to my illusions. Lol  

And yes, the Gwen and Blake cutesieness needs to go. But I wouldn't hold my breath. After all, we've been complaining about Blake's finger-pointing for quite awhile, and he's still doing it! I actually enjoy his bantering with Adam, but that finger-pointing thing makes me want to punch my TV. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

Listening to first singer. Ugh and shut up Gwen. Why did he choose her? 

"Shut up?"  I think she hit on all the right things to get him to choose her.  While Adam, Blake, and, surprisingly, Alicia were talking to JChosen about winning the show with and for them, Gwen focused on the heart and talked about what music meant to him and what inspired both of them.  I think that struck a chord with him.

Also, as I said above, I suspect that he figured that he'd stand out more on Gwen's team, while he'd get lost in the shuffle on Adam's team or Alicia's team.

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 7

I like Gwen. I like Blake. I like Gwen & Blake. But the cutesiness and constant mentions of their relationship by them and Adam was a bit much. 

I really liked most of the singers tonight, especially JChosen, Felicia, and Stephanie. In terms of the latter, she really poured emotion into what is already an evocative song, which made that a truly special performance. 

The younger singers weren't bad at all, but I do have to say that I wasn't wowed by the one (Anatalia?) who sang "Runaway Baby." She wasn't bad, but I was surprised she got a full 4 chair turn.

• Love 6

I'm glad the show addressed the Gwen/Blake relationship, but addressing it was enough. We don't need to be reminding of it every blooming minute.

Felt bad for the guy who takes care of his Grandma not getting even a single turn.  (Do you all take notes while watching?  Because I can barely remember anyone's names by the end of the show, and I'm not that senile.)

I liked Anatalia (remembered her name! ha!) just because she brought so much energy to the room.  And the other 14-year-old acted like a 14-year-old, which I found refreshing.  

Does anyone think the "pick me" segments from the coaches take longer than they used to?  There's so much banter and, while I understand that it's entertaining (tho I get bored of it after a bit), to me it takes time away from another singer being able to perform. Of course one could say the same about the lengthy intro packages.  

And here's a probable UO, but one of the things I love every season is watching Carson completely losing his shit right along with the families when there's a chair turn.

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 5

Carson really does seem genuine in his connection to the contestants' families.  And yes, the yak fest before the choice seems endless. I'd rather see more contestants and less chit chat. I really liked the tiny Filipino woman. She had a lot of stage presence. Blonde gay lady seemed to be too emotionally fragile for this show. 

• Love 4

I think it is mostly Adam who is bringing the Gwen/Blake thing up to tease them and not Gwen and Blake trying to get attention from it themselves.

I dont mind it either way but I do hope Blake will not hesitate to fight dirty with Gwen when pitching to contestants. His hilarious comebacks and insults make 60% of the blinds for me. Especially when the talent hasn't been that exciting so far...

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, waving feather said:

I think it is mostly Adam who is bringing the Gwen/Blake thing up to tease them and not Gwen and Blake trying to get attention from it themselves.

I dont mind it either way but I do hope Blake will not hesitate to fight dirty with Gwen when pitching to contestants. His hilarious comebacks and insults make 60% of the blinds for me. Especially when the talent hasn't been that exciting so far...

Blake did fight her pretty hard for Lauren Duski and won, so I don't think he's against it, and he also put up a fight for Stephanie Rice, and that one was definitely just between him and Gwen.

• Love 2

I swore I was not going to watch this season, and I got sucked in anyway. I sooooo did not miss Gwen. Same old shtick-"I started singing young, so I know what that's like," "I was in a band with boys, so I know what that's like," "I can help you with fashion, etc, because I know what that's like," And seriously, Blake and Gwen-get a damn room will ya? Thank goodness for TiVo and the ability to watch 2 hours in about half the time. Fast forward for the win.

And is it me, or was no one really spectacular. Maybe my ears are going, but while I thought contestant #1 was good, I didn't really get the heaps of praise bestowed upon him, as the 2nd coming of Marvin Gaye...

Edited by Newberry
  • Love 6

Yes, Newberry, yes! I was not going to get sucked in again either, but here I am. Don't know how long I'll last... for me, JUST IMHO, so, for me, some of the tweenies are going to be too. much. to. handle. I thought the Filipino girl was cute but not that great and don't get the four chairs.

Also, I was seriously dreading Gwen, but if it hadn't been for the smooch woochy with Blake, I was almost rooting for her! Her pitch to contestants is better and she seems way less silly. Also, I'm meh on Blake, but that girl really does seem to like him, and I would have sworn at the time and even up to now, that it was all just a publicity stunt. She appears to be crazy for him, so good for her.

One thing I do like: Adam and Blake not being as mean to each other. Some of that stuff gets uncomfortable. Let's hope they keep it in abeyance.

Liked the first guy - JChosen, is it? - too, but yeah, NOT the second coming of Marvin Gaye. There will never be another Marvin.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Vyk said:

"Shut up?"  I think she hit on all the right things to get him to choose her.  While Adam, Blake, and, surprisingly, Alicia were talking to JChosen about winning the show with and for them, Gwen focused on the heart and talked about what music meant to him and what inspired both of them.  I think that struck a chord with him.

Also, as I said above, I suspect that he figured that he'd stand out more on Gwen's team, while he'd get lost in the shuffle on Adam's team or Alicia's team.

I was saying "shut up Gwen" to her about something involving Blake.  I have forgotten what it was.  I remain surprised that he chose her given her track record in being able to manage her group effectively (ie, B Sunshine). 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Newberry said:

And is it me, or was no one really spectacular.

Not just you.  After 2 hours of my life I won't get back, there wasn't a single contestant who made me say "wow", or even remember their audition.  I hope things get better because I don't know how much longer I can stand the Gwen/Blake get a room thing.  The most enjoyable thing tonight, for me, was the reminder that Alicia is so naturally beautiful. 

• Love 2

I think it' ridiculous that after every. single. singer. they had a commercial break. I timed it while watching just the singing parts of the show and it was about 20 minutes out of two hours.

• Love 4

Ah yes, The Voice... my 'Voice' fatigue left the last half of last season on the DVR unviewed until I watched the finale a few weeks ago surprised that Billy didn't win. I know there's a new season and I'm watching yet again but... how can I miss you if you won't go away??

The endless droning on about how much I'll do for you and how great my team is and ho much the other people suck really gets old and we just started. Also getting old already is all this Blake & Gwen stuff but it did seem to be mainly driven by Adam.

• Love 2
On 2/27/2017 at 10:09 PM, vb68 said:

I'm so over their "cuteness".  They need to concentrate on the contestants and leave their romance for home.

• Love 2