Type keyword(s) to search

Last Man in the Media

I caught the very end of the show last week and was glad to see Phil was all cleaned up. Forte is not a bad looking guy.

I saw an article on MSNBC that said Forte and January Jones are dating. Not sure how true it is.

I saw an article on MSNBC that said Forte and January Jones are dating. Not sure how true it is.

Huh, I wonder.  Not to be cruel but, based on a Mad Men DVD commentary, January Jones seems... not bright.  Like... challenging to converse with, if you know what I mean.

• Love 1

She's surprisingly charming on Instagram.  And I've seen interviews with her where she's charming as well.  And I've also seen her stilted.  She may not be Mensa material or even interview consistently well.  But I don't think she's a dumb blonde either. 

I always felt like she was nervous on the Mad Men commentaries, more like she didn't want to say anything wrong. I definitely didn't get the impression she wasn't bright. I really don't know her from anything else, though, so maybe I just read it all wrong.

It says "Last Man ranks as this season’s No. 1 new comedy among adults 18–34 and men 18–49." Who'd a thunk it?

Yeah, I find that a stretch. Considering the number of double-broadcasts they've done, the show has only been on five times and with a 40% decline in viewers between the premiere and the most recent episode. Also interesting to me that the last two broadcasts where they showed two episodes back-to-back, viewership seems to have dropped off between the first and second episodes. Maybe that's typical, though.

• Love 1

From Time magazine: How Last Man on Earth Reversed Its Male Gaze

As it approaches its season finale (May 3), maybe the most interesting thing about Last Man on Earth is the level of faith it’s asked of the viewer: it invited us to watch without knowing exactly what kind of show it was, then changed itself week by week without warning. I loved the show, then I hated it for a while, and for all I know, I may hate it again a half hour from now. And I have no idea what it will be next season.

Yet another article about Will Forte on Vulture. http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/25-factoids-about-will-forte.html

It's titled "25 Things You Learn About Will Forte From Hanging Out With Him," and #3 is:

He’s a gentleman, sort of. Kristen Schaal had to eat beans in one scene on Last Man and then lie on top of Forte for a sex scene right afterwards. “I farted on him,” she says. “And he very gallantly told the crew that it was his.”

• Love 1

I'm not sure, but it definitely seemed to me that Forte was the guiding light of the operation.  And I've seen in other articles that he really doesn't think a full 22-episode season is a good idea.

Well the change makes sense then.  On the Nerdist podcast he just did, he sounded so drained by how much work he had to do.  Writing, running the show and acting would be a ridiculous amount of work.

• Love 1

Speaking of panels, there will be a Last Man on Earth panel at San Diego Comic-Con.

What would you do if you were the last person on Earth? Star and creator Will Forte (Nebraska, Saturday Night Live), Kristen Schaal (Bob's Burgers, Flight of the Conchords), January Jones (Mad Men), and director/executive producer Chris Miller (The Lego Movie, 21 Jump Street) discuss the surprising twists and turns of the first season as well as tease the upcoming second season.

It may be worth noting that this panel is scheduled against the Warner Bros. Pictures presentation in Hall H, which may inadvertently reflect the same degree of respect that Phil was getting at the end of last season.

• Love 1

Why not?  The character is repulsive but is he bad at the character? 

He also got nominated for writing the pilot which also got nominations for directing. 

I do wish Kristen Schaal had been nominated.  I thought she stood out. 

• Love 2

I knew January Jones had been in Mad Men, obviously, but watching the very first episode of that show I spotted our very own Carol, aka Kristen  Schaal playing the part of a telephone operator.

Edited by AZZURRI06

From the link above: "The show will return at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT Sunday, March 6, picking up where its fall finale left off — with Phil/Tandy’s (Will Arnett) astronaut brother Mike (Jason Sudeikis) plunging toward Earth from space. The show has been off the air since Dec. 13."

hahaha. Will Arnett?!

Yes, he's been seen off and on as Phil's brother, stranded alone on the ISS.

(edited)

Yes, he's been seen off and on as Phil's brother, stranded alone on the ISS.

Are we watching the same show? Jason Sudeikis is Phil's (Will Forte's) brother. 

Edited by MischaMouse

Season 2 Post-Mortem Interview with Will Forte.  It includes his feelings on Mike's arc, as well as this non-bit about Season 3.

Well, I’ll be honest. We usually only have a couple tiny little traces of what are going to happen. I remember going into season 2, we said Gail [Mary Steenburgen] is going to start becoming a doctor, and Phil [Other Phil, played by Boris Kodjoe] is going to get appendicitis. We said Mike is going to come down at some point. We were thinking maybe his arc was going to happen in the beginning of the season, but then for schedule stuff, it turned into the situation that it became. And thank God, because I can’t imagine it happening any other way now. So I can very honestly tell you I don’t know because we don’t know yet. Everyone’s off on vacation. We get back in the writers’ room June 1. We have a bunch of ideas here and there, but we’re interested in pushing into new territories, looking ahead.

1 hour ago, amaranta said:

It's a shame that Jason Sudeikis was disqualified for a nomination; I would have liked to see him get one as supporting for Last Man on Earth. But a lesson learned for show runners—read the rules!  http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/jason-sudeikis-emmy-the-last-man-on-earth-1201796424/

Just saw this in the primetime Emmys thread: Jason Sudeikis was submitted as a guest actor despite appearing in 11 of the season's 18 episodes.

Den Of Geek's Writers'-Room Walk-Throughs for LMOE season 2:

Part 1 -- "Is There Anybody Out There?" (2x1) and "The Boo" (2x2)

Topics include why the rest of the cast was brought back so soon after Tandy and Carol struck out on their own, the aircraft carrier, the train, the decision to make Tandy a more empathetic character, the burned house, etc.

Part 2 -- "Dead Man Walking" (2x3) and "C to the T" (2x4)

Topics include the time-jump between seasons, Tandy's "gunpoint apology" and redemption arc, the stocks, the beginning of Phil 2's downward spiral, expiration dates, Forte's physical comedy, the Todd cliffhanger, etc.

Part 3 -- "Crickets" (2x5) and "A Real Live Wire" (2x6)

Topics include Gail's drinking / grief and "doctor" arc, the idea of a working freezer, disagreements among the characters over repopulation and society-building, shifting dynamics, etc.

Part 4 -- "Baby Steps" (2x7) and "No Bull" (2x8)

Topics include Erica's pregnancy, humanizing Phil 2, working with cows, Tandy's family talk and Mike's space story, Forte's fascination with male rivalry, Todd's relationships with Melissa and Gail, music cues, etc.

Part 5 -- "Secret Santa" (2x9) and "Silent Night (aka Christmas)" (2x10)

Topics include Phil 2's sudden illness, Carol's Christmas decorations, Mike's job in space, Melissa's proposal, the use of cliffhangers, the Body Lockers scene, exhuming Gordon, naming Erica's baby, etc.

Part 6 -- "Pitch Black" (2x11) and "Valhalla" (2x12)

Topics include other ideas for where Mike could've landed, filming around Sudeikis' schedule, Pat's personality, the body-bags and answering the "where are the bodies?" question, "Tubthumping" (and "Informer"), making a funny funeral, Phil 2's middle name, Tandy's "closure" song, Phil 2/Mike parallels, etc.

Part 7 -- "Fish in the Dish" (2x13) and "Skidmark" (2x14)

Topics include Jared Hess, Tandy and Carol's fertility issues, the Todd-Gail-Melissa love triangle, the quick return of Mike, Mike's effect on the rest of the group, Tandy's nickname / having to face his past / regression, etc.

Part 8 -- "Fourth Finger" (2x15) and "Falling Slowly" (2x16)

Topics include Tandy and Todd's half-shaved heads, brotherly rivalry and bonding, Forte's real mom as Tandy and Mike's mom, the drone, more relationship talk (Tandy/Carol/Mike, Todd/Melissa/Gail), etc.

Part 9 -- "Smart and Stupid" (2x17) and "30 Years of Science Down the Tubes" (2x18)

Topics include Erica's backstory and her relationship with Mike, Carol's pregnancy, Mike's sudden illness and departure, Gail's attempt to quit drinking, the DeLorean, the return of Pat, etc.

Den Of Geek's Writers'-Room Walk-Throughs for the first half of LMOE season 3:

Part 1 -- "General Breast Theme with Cobras" (3x1) and "The Wild Guess Express" (3x2)

Topics include Jon Hamm's cameo (RIP Darrell), planning the premiere, creating/casting Lewis, the fake eyebrows, taking the show in a different direction, Cher, Todd and Melissa's different coping mechanisms, Pat's disappearance, etc.

Part 2 -- "You're All Going to Diet" (3x3) and "Five Hoda Kotbs" (3x4)

Topics include bombs and singing fish, altered death threats, Melissa's downward spiral, the decision to have the survivors leave Malibu, the flashback, creating an empty world with budget constraints, what's funny / emotional for the writers vs. society-rebuilding stuff, Gail's breaking point, etc.

Part 3 -- "The Power of Power" (3x5) and "The Open-Ended Nature of Unwitnessed Deaths" (3x6)

Topics include the survivors' new location, revisiting the Todd/Melissa/Gail relationship, Todd and Melissa's Shawshank roleplay, Gail's backstory, Tandy's return to Tucson/reunion with Gary, etc.

Part 4 -- "Mama's Hideaway" (3x7), "Whitney Houston, We Have a Problem" (3x8) and "If You're Happy and You Know It" (3x9)

Topics include the family theme, cut Erica-and-Lewis material, Lewis learning to fly, Gail and Melissa's disappearances, the dinosaur suit, Todd and Carol's conflict, Forte's idea for the elevator storyline, the honeymoon/fish plot, figuring out the mid-season cliffhanger/climax, etc.