Type keyword(s) to search

Last Man in the Media

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I say give it one more season to wrap things up, whatever that may be.

At least a half-season, yeah. :)

FOX chairman Gary Newman discusses renewal chances for several ongoing series (including LMOE):

http://deadline.com/2018/03/24-series-comeback-plot-gotham-exorcist-empire-renewals-fox-gary-newman-interview-intv-1202335812/

Of the “unique” and “wildly creative” 'The Last Man On Earth,' Newman offered, “It’s a bubble show, but we do love it. I think now we would have to say we would love to bring it back, and it’s really going to be a matter of, as we sit down and schedule, what kind of room do we have? How do our pilots pan out?”

On 1/9/2018 at 3:29 PM, GRChereck said:

Den of Geek Writers-Room Walk-through s.4, part 3 -- "Gender Friender" (4x7), "Not Appropriate for Miners (4x8), and "Karl" (4x9)

(with writers Rich Blomquist, Megan Ganz & Arielle Diaz, and Kassia Miller)

Topics include KSchaal's interest in directing, the Rubik's Cube, exploring gender dynamics, working with babies, Todd/Jasper bonding, Carol's marriage fixation, Tandy's guitar playing, the decision to make all three babies girls (as well as exploring what that means for repopulation and how the kids might be affected), the exploding toy giraffe, Carol's bedazzled dress for Gail, Forte's improvised "cookies" tirade, when and how the idea of a "stranded prisoner" character came about, the decision to make him a murderer "that you still don't hate," casting Fred Armisen, the Leighton Meester and Martin Short cameos, the decision to develop Karl through flashbacks before introducing him to the main group, exploring how "different pockets" of society were affected by The Virus, the desire to change as a person (no matter how terrible you were before), etc.

Den of Geek Writers-Room Walk-through s.4, part 4 -- "Paint Misbehavin'" (4x10), "Hamilton/Berg" (4x11), and "Señor Clean" (4x12)

(with writers Matt Marshall, Kira Kalush, and Maxwell Kessler)

Topics include the Tandy-shooting-Karl prank, Tandy's intuition being correct for once, the plan for Karl's character arc and how it dovetailed with the "Rubik's Cube of Death" storyline, the core-group dynamic as the heart of the show, Fred's intentionally poor piano-playing, Jasper's unique bond with Melissa (and her decision to keep him from the rest of the group), the "Band-Aid feast," the 4x10 title change, Karl's agreeableness and struggle against his urges, Melissa's suggestion to have Karl killed, the irony and drama of Carol drawing the "short straw," Tandy's reluctance to shoot Karl (after taking Carol's place), the group's lack of awareness about the bomb, the fun of funeral scenes, the Todd/Melissa baby conflict and their compromise to involve Erica, Tandy's maturity and the challenge of having Gail "come around on him," etc. 

THR: LMOE Brings Back an Old Friend Amid Uncertain Future -- Will Forte Q&A

Some highlights/tidbits:

-- The return of Mike would not have happened if Will and the writers hadn't come up with an idea that would be "worth messing with" the end of Mike's original s.2 arc; and Jason was always open to come back if they "wanted to do something cool"

-- Sounds like this season might end on a cliffhanger of sorts, but if the show were to get a s.5, Will and company feel they have more stories to tell but would definitely work towards an "appropriate ending"

-- Carol's second pregnancy and the time-jump were indeed meant to incorporate KSchaal's real-life pregnancy

-- Mike's new arc is supposed to be the catalyst for "different, interesting" story plan that would (hopefully) be implemented in s.5.

I hope they renew it, even just to wrap everything up. I still enjoy this show, it's not like anything else on TV. This was a really great episode, Forte and Sudeikis can do no wrong together as far as I'm concerned, I just love watching them.

• Love 3
(edited)

Den of Geek Writers-Room Walk-through s.4, part 5 -- "Release the Hounds" (4x13), "Special Delivery" (4x14), and "Designated Survivors" (4x15)

(with writers Megan Ganz, Emma Rathbone, and Edward Voccola)

Topics include how the six-month time-jump both accommodated KSchaal's real-life pregnancy and allowed for Erica to eventually agree to have a baby with Todd on her own terms, Todd's depression and the significance of the toy train set, how that plot contrasted and dovetailed with Tandy and Carol's more lighthearted rediscovery of their intimacy, bringing out a different side of Melissa, getting into the "nuts and bolts" of Todd and Erica's co-parenting arrangement, the decision to bring back Mike after everything that's happened with the group since the end of s.2, Clancy the "nightmare fuel" robot dog, the use of Tandy's half-shaved head to signify Mike's return, Todd's reaction to Mike, Mike's "adult" response to Erica's relationship with Gail, how a Mike-centric flashback episode had been discussed, the misdirect of Mike's "designated survivors" story, Mike's loneliness, the returns of Tandy's ball friends and "Falling Slowly," the "people getting shot out of shock and surprise" running gag, etc.

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 2

If they realized that there was an increasing chance they weren't going to be renewed, they really should have tried harder to make the season finale a more satisfying series finale. That's an extremely frustrating ending to go out on if the show gets cancelled. They could even have just given them two more episodes (making it an even 20 this season) to at least wrap things up in a conclusive way.

• Love 1

Wow, Fox did a real cleansing! I think it's a mistake, perhaps Netflix will pick up the show, even for one season.

I wonder what cruddy sitcoms they have to replace the shows they canceled.

• Love 2

I'm not really surprised by the cancellation.  It started out so good, but then faded quickly, like the creators never expected it to get a second season.  It's just been wandering aimlessly (kinda literally!) for the last few seasons.  I'm disappointed... not by the cancellation, but because the show never became what it could have been.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/10/2018 at 7:12 PM, BosomBuddy said:

I NEED to know what happens with the bunker people! 

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO JASPER! [runs off to tweet]

God damn it!

Edited by jumper sage
wasn't finished yelling
(edited)

I would like to have seen where they went with the Others, but who knows--maybe the writers didn't even know yet. :( 

Edited by bref
  • Love 2
(edited)

An interesting take on the season 4 series finale:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/last-man-on-earth-ended-perfectly-even-with-a-cliffhanger.html

I'm still bummed, but I sort of get it. :\ And something else I thought of: The original premise (according to interviews early on with Forte, Lord & Miller) was that Philip Tandy Miller was the kind of guy who basically needed the apocalypse to happen before he could become the best version of himself; and I think he finally did just that in this last episode, when he ended up being the one who called out his group's decadent-scavenger lifestyle. 

Looks like B99 will get another chance on NBC:

http://www.tvratingsguide.com/2018/05/that-was-fast-brooklyn-99-is.html :)

Edited by GRChereck
update
  • Love 1

Personally, I would be fine if it just came back on Hulu for a very brief fifth season. Even 6 episodes would be enough to wrap everything up nicely. It's not like I want the show to keep going forever, just some resolution for the series would be nice.

The show being over would let Forte concentrate on other things for a while, like "MacGruber 2" which I believe he has written a script for.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, sarahthenerd said:

Oooh, that Mary Sue article is me! Thank you for linking to it!

Also, good news about the DVDs, I hope they have bloopers on.

That was you? Cool! Yer welcome. :)

As for the DVDs, I'm hoping for some deleted scenes myself. I know the Den of Geek writers-room walk-throughs have alluded to some cut material...

I wouldn't mind so much if they hadn't ended it on such a tantalizing cliff-hanger. I understand why they do that even when they know there's a good chance it's going to be cancelled, but it's annoying as hell. 

(edited)

Den of Geek Writers-Room Walk-through s.4, part 6 -- "The Blob" (4x16), "Barbara Ann" (4x17), and "Cancun, Baby!" (4x18)

(with writers Erik Durbin & Sarah K. Moss, Tim McAuliffe, and John Solomon & Rich Blomquist)

Note: The interviews were conducted and posted before the cancellation was announced. :(

Topics include gross cuisine, the group's preference for "sweeping problems under the rug," Tandy and Mike's relationship dynamic, Zorb bowling, Tandy's mannequin, the goats, Todd's "mummy tableaux," the gang's discovery of drugs and weapons, the reveal of a hatch (unbeknownst to Mike, who had made up a story about one in 4x15), the plan to introduce "bunker people," location changes, parenthood and its effect on Tandy's maturation / the gang's "old bad habits," Jasper getting "fed up" with the group, favorite aspects of s.4, possibilities for a hypothetical s.5 (regarding time-jumps, the bunker people, the returns of Jasper and Mike, and more), etc.

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 1