Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Sinking Day

Just got to get this link our of the way first.

I'm surprised Mr. Wayne didn't snap at Van and say, "Your cousin's parents were killed when he was a child. Why couldn't you be that lucky? Or me?!?"

I think there's an Olympian in the old DCU . . . I believe he was on the Global Guardians. I know that the "ancient old-timey" attire wouldn't have matched Alpha Centurion, but that's where my mind went at first. Of course Ron would be convinced the new guy was Olympian. Cute that he thinks Bruce Wayne is Flash. Hey, he wears a cowl, and only the eyes, nose and mouth are exposed. Wouldn't be that far-fetched.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Just got to get this link our of the way first.

I'm surprised Mr. Wayne didn't snap at Van and say, "Your cousin's parents were killed when he was a child. Why couldn't you be that lucky? Or me?!?"

I think there's an Olympian in the old DCU . . . I believe he was on the Global Guardians. I know that the "ancient old-timey" attire wouldn't have matched Alpha Centurion, but that's where my mind went at first. Of course Ron would be convinced the new guy was Olympian. Cute that he thinks Bruce Wayne is Flash. Hey, he wears a cowl, and only the eyes, nose and mouth are exposed. Wouldn't be that far-fetched.

There were actually 2 Olympians.

Aristides Demetrios was the first Olympian, and a founding member of the Global Guardians, he gained his Shazam-esque powers from the mythical Golden Fleece.  

Achilles Warkiller was the second Olympian, he was a demigod created by Zeus when he became displeased with the Amazons. He later became a member of the Outsiders. I believe Achilles is the Olympian that Powerless is adapting, his costume matches with the one seen on the show, and also the new guy's name is Alex. If Achilles was going to take a low key American name, it would obviously be Alex.

Bad news for Jackie if it turns out Alex is the Olympian, cause Achilles Warkiller is gay, and has a boyfriend (Patroclus.)

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 4

Since Wendy busted a chair over "Alex from Accounting," the question of whether he's The Olympian...actually persists, considering the batshit logic the show runs on.  (This isn't a knock.  It's a comic book universe...with Brendan Fraser and Donald Glover in it.)  If he is T.O., he sensed Emily coming up on him and sold the hit to maintain his alter ego; if he's not, he's just a cute-geeky guy that Jackie wants to bang.

Honestly, though...Van's guitar was already in danger of stealing the episode halfway through (and it wasn't a bad episode), but the ode to Emily's father's gosh-darn shop grabbed it and went full Speed Force with it.

Edited by Bill C.
  • Love 4

I thought that was pretty cute. I still don't love that lady on the development team, although the fact that she's been heavily featured in all 3 episodes yet is not in the credits makes me fear for her longevity. Which I guess means I like her a little bit. I did enjoy her no-nonsense approach to finding out if Alex really was the Olympian. 

I also liked all the jokes about Atlantis, although I would like to know more about a traditional Sinking Day party.

• Love 3

Enjoyed it more then the past two episodes, and I suspect that is due to Van getting the focus in this one.  Alan Tudyk is just having a ball with the role.  And I like that there is some smarts in there, but you just really have to work hard to get it out of there (or, in Emily's case, also kind of annoy him.)  Cracked up at all of his songs and how annoyed he got with all of Emily's stories about her father (who ran a flower shop, guys!)

Corbin Bernsen was fun as Van's father, although between those two, I have to think any Wayne family gathering ends with Bruce finding an excuse to bail as soon as possible.  Hell, he probably breaks someone out of Arkham Asylum the night before, so he has an excuse to "go work."

Ron, Teddy, and Jackie trying to figure out if their co-worker was a superhero was a fun B-plot.  I also like that Ron is actually close to figuring out Bruce, but he thinks he's actually The Flash instead.  The resolution with annoying lady hitting the guy with a chair though was underwhelming.  If he was superhero and smart, he would have pretended to be hurt anyway.

Enjoyed all the insights into Atlantis!

• Love 6

I think the show's finally getting its sea legs... oooooh, sorry, Ron. I mean, it's finally starting to find its footing.  It usually takes a sitcom a few episodes to find its voice, and I think we're starting to get there. It's not perfect yet, but I thought this episode was better than the last two.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Corbin Bernsen was fun as Van's father, although between those two, I have to think any Wayne family gathering ends with Bruce finding an excuse to bail as soon as possible.  Hell, he probably breaks someone out of Arkham Asylum the night before, so he has an excuse to "go work."

And from what we saw last night, the Kanes seem to be just as insufferable. 

• Love 1

Best episode so far! We got more Van, more world building (everything with Atlantis was really fun), and the office peeps were actually funny, and not just mean to Emily for no reason. Although I question the lady's plan to find out if their co-worker was a superhero. He could have faked that, or maybe he's strong but only when he is exerting energy, or maybe chairs or his weakness, I feel like there are explanations. I did enjoy their subplot though. Its the kind of thing you could really only do in a show like this.

Thanksgiving with the Wayne's must be an absolutely miserable day for everyone involved. No wonder Bruce would rather spend his days chasing after an evil clown.

"Stephen Baldwin is just a character played by Alex Baldwin."

The only joke that didn't really land for me was Teddy and office lady being weirded out that Ron and the Atlantis guys were from the same place. Isn't Atlantis just an American city that happens to be under water? They all have American accents anyway. Isn't that like people being amazed that a black person and a white person can both be from Chicago? Or is Atlantis its own, super insular country?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The only joke that didn't really land for me was Teddy and office lady being weirded out that Ron and the Atlantis guys were from the same place. Isn't Atlantis just an American city that happens to be under water? They all have American accents anyway. Isn't that like people being amazed that a black person and a white person can both be from Chicago? Or is Atlantis its own, super insular country?

Atlantis is its own, super insular country that sank into the ocean thousands of years ago, long before the United States ever existed.  Its people adapted to living undersea long ago and developed telepathy, among other abilities that pretty much remove them from the "human" category as a result of their evolution.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Best episode so far! We got more Van, more world building (everything with Atlantis was really fun), and the office peeps were actually funny, and not just mean to Emily for no reason. Although I question the lady's plan to find out if their co-worker was a superhero. He could have faked that, or maybe he's strong but only when he is exerting energy, or maybe chairs or his weakness, I feel like there are explanations. I did enjoy their subplot though. Its the kind of thing you could really only do in a show like this.

Thanksgiving with the Wayne's must be an absolutely miserable day for everyone involved. No wonder Bruce would rather spend his days chasing after an evil clown.

"Stephen Baldwin is just a character played by Alex Baldwin."

Atlantis is super insular and most Atlanteans distrust outsiders to an extreme degree. So much so that their own King (Aquaman) is under frequent scrutiny due to being half human.

Atlanteans living on the surface would be exceedingly rare.

As to the race thing I believe black Atlanteans are also pretty rare.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

I liked this episode the best so far and I can see that the actors are settling into their rhythm as a cast.

Love that Ron thinks Bruce Wayne is really the Flash. And that he knows that 2 minutes is too long for a #1 but too short for a #2. 

• Love 1
On 2/16/2017 at 11:17 PM, swimmyfish said:

I still don't love that lady on the development team, although the fact that she's been heavily featured in all 3 episodes yet is not in the credits makes me fear for her longevity. Which I guess means I like her a little bit. I did enjoy her no-nonsense approach to finding out if Alex really was the Olympian. 

I'm still trying to get past my illogical resentment of the actress for not being Kate Micucci. This episode didn't help on that front, for obvious reasons:

• Love 1
5 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

That was the show's original premise?  I like what we ended up having a lot better!

I'm inclined to agree. I just wish that it had retained the original Wendy.

It was supposed to be this Wendy, by the way, with Josh Fadem as Marvin.

DYgqYIc.jpg

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Rowsdower said:

I'm still trying to get past my illogical resentment of the actress for not being Kate Micucci.

If it's any consolation, you can see a lot more of Micucci in the Utopia episode of Netflix's Easy.  I like Micucci, but I think I prefer Hudgens in this role.

52 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

If it's any consolation, you can see a lot more of Micucci in the Utopia episode of Netflix's Easy.  I like Micucci, but I think I prefer Hudgens in this role.

Emily Locke has always been played Vanessa Hudgens. Likewise, Danny Pudi and Christina Kirk have always played Teddy and Jackie, respectively. These characters are largely unchanged (though Teddy originally was Emily's best friend).

Alan Tudyk was to play Del Heller, who was similar to (but more ruthless than) Van Wayne.

Ron Funches was cast as Ron after the pilot stage (but before the major retooling occurred). Initially, the character was conceived as an IT guy whose description otherwise matched the version presented to viewers.

In the unaired pilot episode, Kate Micucci played Wendy (of Super Friends fame). In the actual series, Jennie Pierson plays someone with the same first name and willingness to smash a chair over a coworker's back to test for super powers, but little else in common (unless something has yet to be revealed).

The characters originally worked for Retcon Insurance, whose policies covered damages caused by superheroes. In the broadcast version, this company appears via a brief flashback, with Emily describing it as the "soul-crushing job" at which she was employed before quitting to join Wayne Security.

Edited by Rowsdower
  • Love 3

"Last year, flaws in our safety grate resulted in one clown villain every three months." Okay show, you got me. That was genuinely funny. Poking fun at the absurdity of comics can be great, if it's done right.

The show is getting better. It's still not great, but there were a few genuinely funny moments in this, mostly focusing on the ridiculousness of comic books. The gag about the new guy in the office being a superhero was good, as were the jokes about insensitive language in the superhero world. Using the Atlanteans for it all worked really well, because the Atlanteans are pretty daft anyway.

Alan Tudyk is still the funniest thing about the show. But that would be true of anything that ever features Alan Tudyk, wouldn't it? "In a way, I envy you Emily. Your father is a poor so it doesn't matter if you have his respect."

Still think Wendy is crap, and needs to go. Doesn't mesh with the other characters, and she's not funny. Kate Micucci would have been infinitely better. And she could have joined in with Van's jam sessions.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Rowsdower said:

In the unaired pilot episode, Kate Micucci played Wendy (of Super Friends fame). In the actual series, Jennie Pierson plays someone with the same first name and willingness to smash a chair over a coworker's back to test for super powers, but little else in common (unless something has yet to be revealed).

Thanks. 

I like the show so far. Not in a "God I love this, it is totally getting cancelled Pushing Daisies/Selfie kind of way." But in a... this is a very tolerable sitcom with actors I like (Danny Pudi, Alan Tudyk) kind of way. So far it's a lesser Superstore but it might get there if they can bring more personality to the supporting cast. Aside from that, I think there's a lack of drama around the issue each week. I get it, it's a comedy. It has to be a problem that can be solved in half an hour (with commercials). But the mundane can still be dramatic. I want a little more Better Off Ted. Or... speaking of Danny Pudi and Alan Tudyk... some Community or Suburgatory. Aside from some language that I didn't realize was OK on network TV for what seems like a show where the want the widest possible audience... it still feels a little safe and generic to me. 

• Love 2

He could have faked that, or maybe he's strong but only when he is exerting energy, or maybe chairs or his weakness, I feel like there are explanations.[...]

Did you mean "chairs are his weakness" because I 100% want that to be canon now. I liked that subplot because that's what I thought when I saw him... unusually attractive actor... must be a superhero or a love interest for Vanessa.

I think they tried to cast a bunch of Nordic Thor-ish looking guys as the businessmen from Atlantis. The joke didn't land that hard, partially because we know so little about Atlantis. Count me in on wanting to know something about the real Sinking Day.

• Love 2

I don't know if it was from the original pilot or from eps they were working on before Ben Queen was let go, but I know I saw something where the secretary thought one of the co-workers was actually Green Lantern, and hit him with a chair or something that was yellow.  In the original Silver Age canon the Lanterns were powerless against anything yellow, so I thought that was a clever use of comics lore because I thought it would turn out not to prove anything and backfire on her.  The Gladiator(?) subplot was presumably derived from that script, but along with the change in venue I think  "don't make the jokes too geeky" was part of the redirection edict.

• Love 2
On 2/16/2017 at 11:49 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Enjoyed it more then the past two episodes, and I suspect that is due to Van getting the focus in this one.  Alan Tudyk is just having a ball with the role.  And I like that there is some smarts in there, but you just really have to work hard to get it out of there (or, in Emily's case, also kind of annoy him.)  Cracked up at all of his songs and how annoyed he got with all of Emily's stories about her father (who ran a flower shop, guys!)

YES to all of this!  This is the first episode I've really enjoyed and I believe it's because of Van as well.  Loved the duet he & Emily song together at the end.  More of him and less of the office crew.  For whatever reason I just can't get behind their sarcastic/bitchy/deadpan attitudes.  I can tell the writers want me, the viewer, to find them funny or endearing or whatever but I just don't. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

YES to all of this!  This is the first episode I've really enjoyed and I believe it's because of Van as well.  Loved the duet he & Emily song together at the end.  More of him and less of the office crew.  For whatever reason I just can't get behind their sarcastic/bitchy/deadpan attitudes.  I can tell the writers want me, the viewer, to find them funny or endearing or whatever but I just don't. 

Oh, I don't know.  I've noticed that the show seems to have toned the sarcasm/bitchiness/deadpan attitudes down quite a bit.  It also seems to have dialed Emily back a bit to where she's no longer so annoying, needy, and desperate that I'm ready to pitch her out the nearest window just to see whether the Olympian will bother to save her.

I think this show is well on its way to finding its voice, and hopefully, its audience.

• Love 3

I've noticed that the show seems to have toned the sarcasm/bitchiness/deadpan attitudes down quite a bit.  It also seems to have dialed Emily back a bit to where she's no longer so annoying, needy, and desperate that I'm ready to pitch her out the nearest window just to see whether the Olympian will bother to save her.

True.  The first couple of episodes seemed to be trying to hard to be an edgy, "cooler than the room" kinda comedy I guess and ok the office crew isn't quite as bad as they were but they still aren't my favorite part of the show. 

And also true that Emily isn't that green girl she seemed to be in the pilot.  All in good time I guess

• Love 2

Since Wendy busted a chair over "Alex from Accounting," the question of whether he's The Olympian...actually persists, considering the batshit logic the show runs on.

Okay-- but did anyone else notice that when Alex had disappeared just before The Olympian turned up, there was another employee heading for the washroom?

I hope they continue to develop Wendy as a cut to the chase/voice of reason character, deflating wild theories with concrete action.

And they gave up Kate Micucci for a Mouseketeer? Sad.