Type keyword(s) to search

S34: Oscar "Ozzy" Lusth

Jabu
  • Start Topic

Hi.  I'm from Cook Islands, Micronesia (aka Fans vs. Favorites), and South Pacific.  And I'm back to be an arrogant douchebag once more.

Seriously hoping he doesn't get as far as he did in Cook Islands or South Pacific this time.  He'll be useful for challenges, and then hopefully cut the first time he's vulnerable.

I hope he gets voted out pre merge. I mean if he makes merge, he will be the only player in history to get to merge every time and break records for most days played. I kinda want him to see what it feels like to be out early for once, and Sandra too will most likely feel the same, doubt she goes far.

• Love 2

This might be my last opportunity to say this, so here goes: I have a soft spot for this guy, and it's not only because he was a gorgeous illustration of poetry in motion, but because I bought what he said in his TC: in Survivor, he found a way where all that he was made sense.

He's not the best player, although I think he doesn't get the credit he deserves for his offer to work with Cochran which I still believe would have served both well, as neither had any solid alliance.  

I also think his Survivor persona went to his head, as it did to others (Cirie, Stephanie, etc. I'm particularly bummed about Cirie). But somehow I still see in him the kid he was in his first season, and his journey was so epic, from obnoxious to trying hard to hang on, then to challenge beast, hero, real potential winner (was there another season where the winner was so up in the air? there may have been, but I probably missed them).

So yes, he's become too full of himself once he realised what qualities he thought had no value were valuable all right in this universe of Survivor. I hope he lasts long enough to have fun - and long enough for us to once more enjoy the beautiful, graceful way he has to do challenges (poetry in motion indeed). And I also hope he finds a way, post Survivor, to build on these skills that are just natural to him and finds a life that is both fun and financially rewarding enough.        

• Love 14

My dream season was almost complete-I got Ozzy and Malcolm, just missing Joe (and now I'll throw Jay in there).  I love Ozzy.  Despite playing 4 times, they can bring him back many more.  I recently finished watching Cook Islands again, and while my perception of that season changed upon re-watch, it made me remember why I loved Ozzy so much to begin with.  He would have been a very deserving winner that season.  I have a feeling this will probably be the last time we see him again, so I'll enjoy (of course I thought that after South Pacific).  Here's hoping he does make the merge.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

My dream season was almost complete-I got Ozzy and Malcolm, just missing Joe (and now I'll throw Jay in there).  I love Ozzy.  Despite playing 4 times, they can bring him back many more.  I recently finished watching Cook Islands again, and while my perception of that season changed upon re-watch, it made me remember why I loved Ozzy so much to begin with.  He would have been a very deserving winner that season.  I have a feeling this will probably be the last time we see him again, so I'll enjoy (of course I thought that after South Pacific).  Here's hoping he does make the merge.

As, God is my witness, I could have sworn that I had read a spoiler that Joe was on this season. I was shocked that he wasn't. Of course, he was just on 2 seasons ago but I never thought Survivor would miss the chance to have Ozzy, Malcolm & Joe all competing against each other. I would have taken Joe over Culpepper. I see that Ozzy added some fat to himself so I'm guessing he's planning a long run into the game. I am curious to see if Ozzy and Maclcolm work together or who takes each other out first. It should be fun.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

As, God is my witness, I could have sworn that I had read a spoiler that Joe was on this season. I was shocked that he wasn't. Of course, he was just on 2 seasons ago but I never thought Survivor would miss the chance to have Ozzy, Malcolm & Joe all competing against each other. I would have taken Joe over Culpepper. I see that Ozzy added some fat to himself so I'm guessing he's planning a long run into the game. I am curious to see if Ozzy and Maclcolm work together or who takes each other out first. It should be fun.

I wonder if he was offered, but turned it down.  I can't really blame him if he did, and honestly, I'd rather not see him play so close to his previous seasons (even if we could have gotten a tribe of glorious manbuns).  He'd have a serious run for his money going up against Ozzy, especially if they both made it to the merge.  But I have a feeling Joe would have been a very early boot, possibly even first.  No one was going to risk him going to the merge again, even if they had to throw a challenge to get rid of him.  I hope Joe does return down the road, maybe when people have more time to forget about him, and some other big threats emerge that hopefully take the heat off of him.

On the subject of threats, it's why I worry about Ozzy.  Physically, plus being a leader and provider.  Some of the other alphas might feel threatened by that.  Although I typically think of Brad wanting to get rid of anyone that can challenge his dominance, and keep the weak guys like Zeke and Tai around that might be less likely to branch out.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

On the subject of threats, it's why I worry about Ozzy.  Physically, plus being a leader and provider.  Some of the other alphas might feel threatened by that. 

I honestly don't think Ozzy is a natural leader.  What he is is independent.  He doesn't like to follow and be told what to do, but I don't think he is really comfortable directing others either.  In Cooks he was just loud enough of a whiner to get Billy out, and then he was just a sort of disgruntled, weakly affiliated muscle for Yul, too important and too invincible to get rid of.  In South Pacific he seemed totally bummed, dude, to be stuck with some kind of bogus assumed leader position thanks to his returning-player status, and even in the first vote he couldn't save his hippie friend Semhar.  He was much happier as a lone wolf on Redemption Island, where there was no leading and no following, only providing and challenges.  Only in Micronesia did he seem at all comfortable in the leader role, and even then he pretty much just did what Cirie said.  (Contrast with Coach, who wanted the leader role and took it, if only in a sort of King Fool way, in Tocantins, and really in South Pacific, and only didn't really try in HvV because he was cowed by the far more dominant personality of Boston Rob.)

I feel like Ozzy might think he wants to be a leader, but he doesn't really.  It might be better for him, here on this cast of fellow returnees, but I don't know to what extent he is in the Survivor social world so he might not have any pre-alliances; I don't think I see any natural allies for him in the cast, maybe Jeff Varner??  Maybe Michaela????  We'll probably never see an Ozzy as self-confident/arrogant as in Micronesia again, when he was playing with Social Director Parvati Shallow who could introduce him and coming off of a one-vote loss that really could have gone either way (and if it had been an F2 instead of the first F3 ever, I can easily imagine him getting everyone's vote but Yul's over Becky.)  But by writing this post I've made myself somewhat interested to see what will happen when he's with a bunch of veterans and has no reason to try to be the leader.

• Love 9

I'm interested in whether or not Ozzy can maintain his challenge dominance and what he does if he can't. According to Wikipedia, he was 34 when this season filmed—this is in contrast to being 25 in Cook Islands, 26 in Micronesia, and 30 in South Pacific. I'm not by any means accusing him of being a decrepit old man now, but it is true that most athletes are past their peak at his age. On the other hand, this cast isn't exactly loaded with younger men who have previously shown athleticism similar to Ozzy's—I think Caleb is probably the closest it comes.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Hera said:

I'm interested in whether or not Ozzy can maintain his challenge dominance and what he does if he can't.

I was thinking about that, too. I wondered if he's still as psychically dominate as he once was. I almost hope he isn't because I'd like to see him not have that to use in the game. But like you said, there's few men this season that are likely to give him a run for his money even if he isn't as dominate as he once was.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was thinking about that, too. I wondered if he's still as psychically dominate as he once was. I almost hope he isn't because I'd like to see him not have that to use in the game. But like you said, there's few men this season that are likely to give him a run for his money even if he isn't as dominate as he once was.

And, it the press pictures he is much heavier (still in better shape then the average man) then he's ever been. I don't know if this is him just adding weight before going out or if he is just heavier because he's older. I still think he will do fine in the physical part in challenges. I'm sure he wouldn't be winning against Joe but he might be able to outlast Caleb or Malcolm. I can hardly wait to see. I'm dying here. I have to wait another frickin month?!? Survivor is supposed to start in February. It's like a law in television. Right??? LOL!!!!

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

And, it the press pictures he is much heavier (still in better shape then the average man) then he's ever been. I don't know if this is him just adding weight before going out or if he is just heavier because he's older. I still think he will do fine in the physical part in challenges. I'm sure he wouldn't be winning against Joe but he might be able to outlast Caleb or Malcolm. I can hardly wait to see. I'm dying here. I have to wait another frickin month?!? Survivor is supposed to start in February. It's like a law in television. Right??? LOL!!!!

I was surprised to see Ozzy heavier, but I also don't think he will have much trouble in challenges.  At least in the water challenges I still expect him to outswim everyone.

In terms of Survivor's late start date, I'm hoping this doesn't become the new norm.

Edited by LadyChatts
18 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Survivor is supposed to start in February. It's like a law in television. Right??? LOL!!!!

THANK YOU!  What is this March nonsense, anyway?!!

Two days ago, we decided to try Hulu.  I immediately searched Survivor.  288 episodes for my viewing pleasure (SWOONY SWOON).  I went straight to Cook Islands, and even though I have watched Survivor faithfully from Season 1, Episode 1, CI is when I think I officially fell in mad love with this show, largely due to Ozzy and the Aitu 4.

As posted above, I too have a feeling that this will be the last go-round for Ozzy and this game.  He may not be the challenge beast he used to be, but I cannot wait for the first swimming challenge, to see if he can still cut through the water like a dolphin.  

Here's hoping he takes what he's learned from his other seasons, goes very far in the game, doesn't ruin it with a shomance, and has a great time.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 5
On 2/13/2017 at 9:31 AM, laurakaye said:

He may not be the challenge beast he used to be, but I cannot wait for the first swimming challenge, to see if he can still cut through the water like a dolphin.

He can still cut through the water like a dolphin.  What Ozzy has always lacked is a social game.  As someone said up thread, he is much more of a lone wolf - neither a leader nor follower.  He's still pretty, however.

• Love 5

His dive was beautiful. May we see many more...

As for grudges, I think TPTB encourage the voicing of such. Which doesn't mean it doesn't sometimes influence players. Though I think a many time player can see through the manipulation.

That being said, the ouster shows that Cirie didn't want to be end game with him. And unless she convinces him that that has changed, and why, I can understand his being wary of her.

• Love 7

I can see both sides of it.  I'd argue that Cirie blindsiding Ozzy the first time was a 'that was then, this is now', so he shouldn't hold a grudge.  Different players, different circumstances.  However, I can also see why Ozzy might be hesitant.  But, despite everyone seeming onboard with voting Cirie out had Nuku lost, Ozzy has proven himself a threat in the past.  Maybe he doesn't have the social or strategic chops to necessarily win, but obviously there's a reason he's only made it to the end once (and if Sundra/Yul/Becky had their way, he wouldn't have made the final 3).  So he should be careful, and if anything, bringing in someone like Cirie that will no doubt have an even bigger target on her.  Keep your friends close, enemies closer.  Also, he should not trust Tai with anything.

Ozzy got kind of lucky that two of the women on Nuku at least want to work with the guys over the girls, so that would give them a majority.  He may not have it for long.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I can see both sides of it.  I'd argue that Cirie blindsiding Ozzy the first time was a 'that was then, this is now', so he shouldn't hold a grudge.  Different players, different circumstances.  However, I can also see why Ozzy might be hesitant.  But, despite everyone seeming onboard with voting Cirie out had Nuku lost, Ozzy has proven himself a threat in the past.  Maybe he doesn't have the social or strategic chops to necessarily win, but obviously there's a reason he's only made it to the end once (and if Sundra/Yul/Becky had their way, he wouldn't have made the final 3).  So he should be careful, and if anything, bringing in someone like Cirie that will no doubt have an even bigger target on her.  Keep your friends close, enemies closer.  Also, he should not trust Tai with anything.

Ozzy got kind of lucky that two of the women on Nuku at least want to work with the guys over the girls, so that would give them a majority.  He may not have it for long.

The thing is, as I saw it, that she didn't want to tgo he end with that type of player, not specifically Ozzy, because she thought she would lose to them. Now, with a different cast, and if she has a different read on them, and if she can persuade Ozzy that the two them together or as part of a larger group could work out, I'd say well done, C. But the fact that she eliminated him not mostly because he was not her main alliance, but because she could not see herself allying with him, is what should bring pause to Ozzy. I tend to think players are influenced by the first season they play, and in her first season Cirie saw Aras win, and Danielle being seen by the jury as a hanger on, and she doesn't want to be Danielle.

• Love 3

I did love the other tribe just not even bothering with the tool thing because, what are you gonna do, they've got Ozzy.

I had also not remembered his big scar, and it's interesting to see it was always there.  Still sorta interested to see what he'll do out there.  But he seemed a bit proactive in the way that would get him lots of scolding and shrieks of "too hard too soon" if he were a woman (i.e. he actually said someone's name!  The horror!) so it doesn't look to me like he's realized he shouldn't try to lead...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KimberStormer said:

I did love the other tribe just not even bothering with the tool thing because, what are you gonna do, they've got Ozzy.

I had also not remembered his big scar, and it's interesting to see it was always there.  Still sorta interested to see what he'll do out there.  But he seemed a bit proactive in the way that would get him lots of scolding and shrieks of "too hard too soon" if he were a woman (i.e. he actually said someone's name!  The horror!) so it doesn't look to me like he's realized he shouldn't try to lead...

Oh yes, I forgot to say that I loved it how they were all "Ozzy will get that, no need to try". I also thought it made Ozzy very predictable. In my dream scenario, he would play and fulfil all the expectations, while at the same time working in a way new for him (ally with Sandra, dude! or with any other person people would not expect you too, go for Aubry, Zeke, Michaela, the recent players with no alliance, bring in a Caleb, dumb but useful as a shield if need be, or a Troyzan, flatter him, treat him as a fellow great, and let him be a shield too). He's good I think in one on ones, so I wish he would build multiple connections, and surf on them. I hadn't realised until I started answering this post that I'm actually rooting for him, maybe because the might be the last time he plays?

As for the scar: HD? so many things were more fuzzy back them, mosquito bites never looked as fierce, sun burns looked bearable, etc. 

Edited by NutMeg
My corrector thinks flatter means later. Nice topic for an essay...
  • Love 3

The whole Ozzy/Cirie situation is a rabbit hole. 

Whether Ozzy does or does not actually hold a grudge is, in truth, a secondary consideration. 

More significant is (a) whether or not Cirie thinks Ozzy holds a grudge, and (b) if Cirie does, how likely she is to act/attack in response.

Which in turn means Ozzy may in self-defense have to target Cirie the same as if he had a grudge, even if he doesn't.

Hop, hop, little bunny....

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

The whole Ozzy/Cirie situation is a rabbit hole. 

Whether Ozzy does or does not actually hold a grudge is, in truth, a secondary consideration. 

More significant is (a) whether or not Cirie thinks Ozzy holds a grudge, and (b) if Cirie does, how likely she is to act/attack in response.

Which in turn means Ozzy may in self-defense have to target Cirie the same as if he had a grudge, even if he doesn't.

Hop, hop, little bunny....

After Tai's annoying response to Cirie's question, she will approach Ozzy again and be clear that this is a new game and fresh start.  I don't see this being an issue.  Ozzy has already said that his alliance voted him out and she joined them.  He knows it was for her game. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I love how Ozzy is as comfortable on a beam as he is in water. I'm now picturing him living in an environment mostly aquatic, with beams linking the few submerged area (sleeping place, kitchen, etc.). I'm very fond of his delight at challenges, each time he plays, he's like a kid who's enjoying the best outdoor adventure ever.   

• Love 5
2 hours ago, NutMeg said:

I love how Ozzy is as comfortable on a beam as he is in water. I'm now picturing him living in an environment mostly aquatic, with beams linking the few submerged area (sleeping place, kitchen, etc.). I'm very fond of his delight at challenges, each time he plays, he's like a kid who's enjoying the best outdoor adventure ever.   

That's one reason I've always liked Ozzy so much.  While he wants to win and play the game, he seems to just enjoy the entire experience and make the most of everything while he's there.  I love that he's still old school enough to worry about being a provider and helping to put the camp together, as much as he is about winning challenges and playing the game.  Once upon a time you kept those types around for that very reason.  It's why I wish we got more old school players back on these seasons, but I can see why CBS goes the idols and so-called big moves player route.  Pretty soon they'll just have their shelter built for them, bottled water, and a non perishable buffet so everyone can just sit around, looking for conveniently placed idols and talk about big moves.

I'm disappointed we haven't seen too much of Ozzy so far.  I know he has yet to go to TC, but I'd love to see more of him around camp.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4

Speaking of bottled water, I don't mind the softening of the survival aspect but I think it's funny that they now seem to get individually name-tagged stainless steel water bottles, with some kitschy island-like decor wrapped around them to disguise that they're just ss water bottles.  Didn't they used to drink from coconut shells and jungle junk like that?  The name tags especially are funny to me.  I guess they're germ conscious?  You'd think they could just be different like wine charms... "Hali, you're the bottle with 4 black beads", etc.  I'm glad they're taking the very real threat of dehydration seriously, though.  

*Shrug*  I think he's pretty ordinary-looking.  Nothing special.  Though it might be because his terrible (and sometimes just plain bland) personality overshadows his appearance.

• Love 3

I feel that despite four seasons to work on it, Ozzy learned nothing about how to really play Survivor.  If it were about 'surviving,' he might never lose.  But it's actually a social game, and the nuances go far deeper than he can understand. 

Would have loved to see him on a season with Joe from 2nd chance.  Man, the challenge battles could have been epic. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, kikaha said:

I feel that despite four seasons to work on it, Ozzy learned nothing about how to really play Survivor.  If it were about 'surviving,' he might never lose.  But it's actually a social game, and the nuances go far deeper than he can understand. 

Would have loved to see him on a season with Joe from 2nd chance.  Man, the challenge battles could have been epic. 

I still want my dream season of Joe/Malcolm/Jay/Ozzy.  But while Jay said he'd play again in a heartbeat, I don't know about the other 3.  

I know Ozzy isn't for everybody, but I'll miss him, his hair, the challenge beast, and his old school tendencies of remembering that he didn't get 3 course meals during his season and actually had to go get food.  It sucked that he didn't get much airtime this season.  Glad he made the jury, though, and he is one player I would love to see back over and over again.  Since there's some players that I'm not going to name who I fear will being rearing their ugly heads for a 2nd/3rd/4th+ time in another returning player season, the least they can do is give me Ozzy.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I still want my dream season of Joe/Malcolm/Jay/Ozzy.

Ozzy is truly my #1 favorite Survivor of all time.  I think he is just beautiful inside and out and he is amazing to watch as a physical player.  I feel that his gentle soul prevents him from truly "playing" the social aspects of the game.  He observes it but he doesn't engage in it -- to his Survivor detriment every time.  

Joe, Malcolm, Ozzy dream season -- yes please!

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Ozzy is truly my #1 favorite Survivor of all time.  I think he is just beautiful inside and out and he is amazing to watch as a physical player.  I feel that his gentle soul prevents him from truly "playing" the social aspects of the game.  He observes it but he doesn't engage in it -- to his Survivor detriment every time.

Nah.  Not at all inside.  If he were, he wouldn't have thrown out the bitterness and entitlement at either of his two prior losses or been such a douchebag in general.  Any "beauty" Ozzy has?  Only superficial.  He has no gentle soul.  Just one laced in conceit.

• Love 4

As I mentioned in Hali's thread, CBS isn't/hasn't uploaded Ponderosa to Youtube yet (and since they aren't posting many extra clips on there, might not be).  But it is posted on All Access.  Highlights of Ozzy: he'd rather play with people that are into the survival aspect, and has always found that hard in this game.  He lost 15 lbs.  He says he'd play again.  He was in really good spirits, just really disappointed, and knows he can't do anything about the target on his back.  He did seem a tad quieter, like he was trying to process everything.  He is torn, because he wants to win, but really just wants to enjoy the experience and play the old school way.  Hali actually did a lot of talking during his.  She thinks his life has evolved and made him grown up Ozzy.  We actually got to see a field trip!  They went to a local market so Ozzy could do some fancy cooking.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Highlights of Ozzy: he'd rather play with people that are into the survival aspect, and has always found that hard in this game.  He lost 15 lbs.  He says he'd play again.  He was in really good spirits, just really disappointed, and knows he can't do anything about the target on his back.  He is torn, because he wants to win, but really just wants to enjoy the experience and play the old school way.

All of the bolded provides the exact answer as to why he's probably never going to win, no matter how many times he plays.  The old-school way is all but dead now, and he can't adjust to it, it seems.  The game is social and strategic vs. physical and actual survival.  He seems to get that, but seems completely unwilling to change and adapt to that.  It's like he outright refuses to.  He isn't winning as long as he takes that approach.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Vyk said:

All of the bolded provides the exact answer as to why he's probably never going to win, no matter how many times he plays.  The old-school way is all but dead now, and he can't adjust to it, it seems.  The game is social and strategic vs. physical and actual survival.  He seems to get that, but seems completely unwilling to change and adapt to that.  It's like he outright refuses to.  He isn't winning as long as he takes that approach.

I'm torn myself, because I think Ozzy cares but doesn't care.  He seems to really be in it more for the experience, and wanting to last long because of that.  However, people aren't going to let someone like him stick around for experience's sake.  I'm happy he did get to play in an old school season, and made the final 3 there at least.  He was trying to explain it, that he wants to win, but wants the experience, and what's more important to him he can't really seem to decide.  

The whole first hour tonight was nothing but strategy talk, and it was basically a red herring since Hali's name didn't get brought up until after the IC.  It did give us some nice bonding with Cirie and Michaela, but really, I'd much rather see other stuff going on around camp than everyone sitting around talking strategy.  So I'm definitely old school in that sense, too, but I'm resigned that this is Survivor now.

• Love 4

I feel bad for Ozzy that he had to go out on one of his favorite challenges.  Tai just weighs nothing so it's always going to be almost impossible to beat him in that sort of challenge.

But I really feel like we've had enough Ozzy, show.  I like him fine, though I am not at all one of his super-admirers; but we've obviously seen everything we're going to see out of him.  It's sort of miraculous that we got three good storylines from him when he's kind of a boring dude personality-wise, the Aitu 4 story, the great blindside story, and the Redemption Island Life story.  The man has nothing left to give!  I sort of wish he'd won South Pacific to get him out of our hair (although probably that would have meant Redemption Island would become a permanent part of the game and ruined everything, so maybe not.)

• Love 4

No Ponderosa thread yet. I thought Ozzy's was interesting. It was a little awkward when he and Hali were sitting alone eating the ceviche and they were having a deep conversation about authenticity and he just muses "I wish I had someone in my life to share this with" or something lol

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I think he is just beautiful inside and out and he is amazing to watch as a physical player.  I feel that his gentle soul prevents him from truly "playing" the social aspects of the game.  

See, I really want to like Ozzy. He's amazing to watch when he kicks ass in the swimming challenges and he's an attractive guy. (I mean, he's not Malcolm or anything but he's certainly easy on the eyes.) But I have yet to see anything resembling "beautiful inside" or a "gentle soul". If anything, in his 4 seasons, he has often come across as arrogant, dismissive of people he thinks are beneath him and, just plain mean. Case in point, instead of admiring Tai for staying on the pole for so long, he threatens to stop getting food for the tribe.  Obviously I don't know the man, he very well may be the nicest guy in the universe but, based on what we've seen, I highly doubt it.  

5 hours ago, niklj said:

"I wish I had someone in my life to share this with" 

This is a totally random comment but I only read about this yesterday: Am I the only one on the planet who didn't know that Ozzy used to date Lindsay Lohan back in her rehab/out-of-rehab days? I'm so out of the loop!

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

This is a totally random comment but I only read about this yesterday: Am I the only one on the planet who didn't know that Ozzy used to date Lindsay Lohan back in her rehab/out-of-rehab days? I'm so out of the loop!

I knew about it but refused to believe it because in my own little delusional Ozzy-loving world, he wouldn't do that.  He'd be out saving whales or building skateboard parks for the youths in his neighborhood.

I too think Ozzy is in it for the experience but just has no idea how to win it all.  I recall with wistful fondness how, on his first season, he talked about reading Robinson Crusoe when he was a kid and dreamed about being deserted on an island.  The "survival" aspect is what he's so good at, but I think he's either too private or just isn't the type to be able to have the big conversations that lead to big moves.  He's so aware of the target on his own back, but he doesn't seem to be able to sway people to focus on other potential targets.  As long as he can't throw shade on others, I think he's doomed to get booted out by people he thought he was in an alliance with.

Thank goodness he's at least on the jury.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I knew about it but refused to believe it because in my own little delusional Ozzy-loving world, he wouldn't do that.  He'd be out saving whales or building skateboard parks for the youths in his neighborhood.

I mean Ozzy did porn so!

I've always hated him and I still do, but imo he looked the best he's ever looked this season.

• Love 3

Except for the braids. I would have voted him out first just because of the braids.

(It was also interesting in that article I read yesterday to see an old pic of Ozzy from Cook Islands where he had a completely different nose. Heh...apparently I learned a lot about Ozzy yesterday.)

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 3

Just when he was back in fighting shape, too. He was looking great since he had lost the pre game belly. The braids are a total turnoff. I think he played the same game he always had. Although, he was willing to work Cirie. I would have like to see him go a little further. I'm guessing it's his last time playing. He didn't play a horrible game this time around but it also didn't vary any differently from his other games eiether.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Joe, Malcolm, Ozzy dream season -- yes please!

For the people who disagree with the above and think Ozzy is "mean" or whatever.

The reason I'll always have a soft spot for Ozzy is the feeling I get when I look into his eyes.  I know this will sound silly to those who don't see it but his eyes betray a troubled or sad past.  He seems really hurt beneath those eyes.  And whenever emotion creeps up, you can see the pain building in his eyes.  Like when he saw his name come up multiple times at Tribal last night - he was just frozen; deer in the highlights. He was so scared.  Posters will also describe his "dead eyes" -- yes, I see that too -- but that's when a situation is so tense or he's momentarily "checked out". I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.  Rather, it's a coping mechanism.

Ozzy's eyes have always fascinated me.  I'm not talking about the superficial beauty.  I'm talking about the depth of emotion that I can see.  This has captured me since Cook Islands and it's also fascinated me that he's never deadened or moved past through this.  I'll never stop finding him interesting.

• Love 6

That seems like a lot of speculation. I've never read anything about Ozzy having a sad or troubled past. I've read lots of stuff about his family and his siblings and nothing has ever been mentioned about anything traumatic or an estrangement. (Unless you have information that I just haven't heard yet?) He's not a horrible human being or anything but he's certainly shown a lot of dickish behaviour on Survivor. I'm not quite willing to excuse that based on his eyes. I think he's has really pretty, dark eyes but I've never seen pain, or hurt or fear in them.

• Love 4

@Ms Blue Jay...I cannot think of any way you could've expressed that better.  I agree 100%, and his eyes fascinate me, too.  If I may go a step further, I am also sort of mesmerized by the way he moves...always very controlled, slowly, kind of dream-like, if that makes sense.  His facial expressions are also very subtle.  He's interesting to watch (beyond being pretty).

He's a vulnerable soul, and I've always wondered if it goes back to his dad who abandoned him.  Perhaps he's always trying to prove himself to a person who is never going to care what he does in life?

EDIT: posted right after @Rachel RSL posted her thoughts.  Interesting how different people see players in such different lights!

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 4

I don't think his dad abandoned him, did he? His parents got divorced and his mom moved to the US and remarried while his dad stayed in Mexico. I know I read in interviews after his dad died last year that his dad watched him on Survivor and was really proud of him. (Wonder if he was proud of the porn too lol)

2 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I don't think his dad abandoned him, did he? His parents got divorced and his mom moved to the US and remarried while his dad stayed in Mexico. I know I read in interviews after his dad died last year that his dad watched him on Survivor and was really proud of him. (Wonder if he was proud of the porn too lol)

What I remember is once his parents divorced, his dad made no effort to see him after that...this is from what he said at the Cook Islands final TC and reunion.

Can't say as I've ever spent a lot of time checking out Ozzy's eyes....  ;)   

I've always had the impression, though, that in the day-to-day survival aspects of the game Ozzy found a life "fit" he had never before experienced - he was good at it, people liked him for it, and everything just made sense.  This, I think, is just as important to Ozzy than the money - if not more so.

Unfortunately for Ozzy, though, this "perfect fit" lifestyle only exists for a month or two a year, within the artificial confines of a reality show.

• Love 7