Type keyword(s) to search

Cloak & Dagger: Stabbing and Covering the Media

• Start Topic

A sneak peek;

And more from Deadline;

Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger is the story of Tandy Bowen (Olivia Holt) and Tyrone Johnson (Aubrey Joseph) – two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers which are mysteriously linked to one another. Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging.

In addition to Holt and Joseph, Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger stars Andrea Roth, Gloria Reuben, Miles Mussenden, Carl Lundstedt, Emma Lahana, Jaime Zevallos, and J.D. Evermore.

• Love 1

That trailer is region-locked to the US which drives me nuts. Who loses money when a commercial crosses a border? I am literally a couple of minutes north of the 49th parallel.

Hey Marvel, you ever wonder why people pirate stuff?

Premiere Watch Party of "Marvel's Cloak & Dagger" at South by Southwest:

Freeform, Disney's young adult television network, today announced "Marvel's Cloak & Dagger" will have its world premiere watch party during South by Southwest (SXSW) in Austin, Texas, on March 11, as partner programming. ...

Following the world premiere, series stars Holt and Joseph along with executive producer and showrunner Joe Pokaski, director Gina Prince-Bythewood, and executive producer and Marvel's Head of Television Jeph Loeb, will take the stage for a discussion about creating "Cloak" and "Dagger" - a pair of young adults navigating life's issues of relationships, loss and race, and forming their own identities.

And a new trailer:

Au contraire 

https://www.cbr.com/cloak-and-dagger-freeform-best-series-premiere-in-years/

Marvel Television’s latest entry, Cloak & Dagger, has proved to be a success for Freeform as the show scored the network’s best series launch in two years.

The two-hour premiere of Cloak & Dagger pulled in 1.64 million total viewers after Live+3, giving Freeform it’s best series launch in two years, as well as the network’s biggest audience since the Pretty Little Liars finale almost a year ago. And if that wasn’t impressive enough, the show also secured the biggest digital bow ever for Freeform with 716,000 starts, and went on to amass 7.3 million views across linear and digital platforms. Cloak & Dagger also became Thursday’s most-social scripted series thanks to 112,000 engagements across various social media platforms — including Twitter and Facebook.

• Love 8

Glen Weldon over at NPR had a really interesting review of the show that I had been meaning to bring over and finally remembered to - warning, there are potentially MILD spoilers about future episodes (so mild that I debated even saying it, but just in case!)...

'Marvel's Cloak & Dagger' Shines A Light That Flickers — And Then Glows

It's clear that the producers envision the show as a character-based drama in which the superheroic stuff is kept hovering at the edges, which is certainly a valid approach. But it means that tonight's two-hour-long premiere consists chiefly of wool-gathering: The audience learns the source of the mysterious powers that connect young Tandy (Olivia Holt) and Tyrone (Aubrey Joseph) early on, but the show's so determined to sidestep the usual origin-story conventions that it keeps our heroes in the dark throughout its entire running time. This persistent sense that we're way ahead of the game, and stay there, even as we watch both teens tentatively grapple with their new reality, grows swiftly frustrating.

Thursday Cable Ratings

Looks like viewers are not happy with the slow start. We got another big drop in viewers for epsiode 3. With 548,000 viewers and a 0.19 A18/19 rating it was around 25% below episode 2 and 40% below episode 1. Ratings really need to start stabilizing soon if the show wants to get a second season.

‘Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger’ Renewed For Season 2 By Freeform – Comic-Con

Marvel TV boss Jeph Loeb is set to announce Friday at San Diego Comic-Con that Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger is coming back for a second season.

The teen superhero saga, based on the comic characters, is the story of Tandy Bowen (Olivia Holt) and Tyrone Johnson (Aubrey Joseph) – two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened by and awakened to newly discovered superpowers which are mysteriously linked to one another. The 10-episode Season 2 will premiere in spring 2019.

The June 7 premiere episode was Freeform’s best series debut in two and a-half years, since the Pretty Little Liars finale, drawing 4.4 million viewers across all platforms, according to the new L+35 ratings this week. The critically praised show is also the top new cable drama of the summer in the network’s key demos (W18-34 and F12-34) and was Freeform’s highest-ever debut with male viewers (M18-49). It also topped the list of most social new scripted cable series, generating more than 1.5 million engagements across Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Tumblr.

Great news, but only 10 episodes?  Bummer; at least it hasn't been cancelled yet.  Freeform has established itself with an unreliable record.  They had "Shadowhunters" all set for an extended run only to announce that next year would be its last. They pulled the rug on "Stitchers" and left us with a cliffhanger.  They giveth and then they taketh away.  Here's hoping they give C&D some time to find its legs.  

• Love 1

Marvel Sets ‘Runaways’ And ‘Cloak & Dagger’ Crossover Episode

The upcoming Season 3 of Hulu superhero series Marvel’s Runaways will include a crossover episode with the Freeform series Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger, Marvel Television and Hulu said Thursday.

The news comes after Hulu said Runaways will return with its 10-episode third season on December 13. The Season 2 finale Cloak & Dagger aired earlier this year.

No details yet on the subject of the Marvel collision, which was unveiled in a video today

No official news yet, but Deadline is positive about renewal according to a paragraph in their article about the cancellation of the Perfectionists:

Two other Freeform series that are awaiting renewal decisions, The Fosters spinoff Good Trouble and Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger, look good for Season 3 orders.

2 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

So they'd have to sign new contracts with the cast members. So that seems like a pretty firm cancellation.

Cancellation by Freeform. However the contract thing would also be the case if another studio picked up the show and offered new contracts.

46 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Is this a Hulu/Disney+ future target? The Disney Co. & Hulu can sure sweeten the pot by picking up "C & D".  How firm is the cancelation?

I don't think Feige wants to pick up anything. It is more like a lion who takes over a pride and kills all the young so the females will mate with him and leave his own progeny. If you want new Marvel you will have to go through him. Now if he can just get rid of that pesky Sony.

Edited by Raja
39 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Cancellation by Freeform. However the contract thing would also be the case if another studio picked up the show and offered new contracts.

If Hulu/Disney+ wanted to pick it up they would have done so before the contracts expired. They wouldn't want the uncertainty of having to negotiate new contracts with the possibility that some cast members would not sign.

I see your point.  But I see it like this:  It depends upon what they offer in terms of compensation.  Freeform intended to cancel.  If I'm a cast member, if Disney came around and indicated that they would like to keep as much of the cast as possible before greenlighting picking up the show, I would compare my options and if no other studios were clamoring for my services, I would easily jump on board.

It's too bad, I really liked this show. One of Marvel's best. But I guess it never got the traction it deserved in the first place, and at least the show ended at a logical place.

Too bad that the chance of them turning up in the MCU again is pretty low, even though it would be all kind of awesome….

• Love 1

Well that sucks. I had wanted to see their romance come to fruition, and the two really did have good chemistry. That doesn't always happen.

Now all we get is that Runaways crossover episode for a finale? Boo.

• Love 1

That sucks. I really wanted to see their relationship develop. I wonder if the actors voicing their characters on the animated Spider man and being on The Runaways was them running out what was left of their contracts.