Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

• Start Topic

A woman dies after undergoing a secret plastic surgery, so Danny and Baez try to figure out what happened. Elsewhere, Frank asks Jamie to solve a cold case; and Erin explores the world of speed dating.

Original Airdate: April 4, 2014

I was really annoyed with Jamie's partner Eddie.

I was annoyed by so many things in this episode. I wish I could stop watching but I continue to hope for the day when Tom Selleck shows a smidgen of the humor he did as Magnum.

but I continue to hope for the day when Tom Selleck shows a smidgen of the humor he did as Magnum.

That is what is so wrong about this show and until I saw your post I couldn't place my finger on it.  The lack of humor.  Selleck as Magnum was truly fun to watch but the family issues are so dark and heavy it gets tiresome.  Danny's new partner is okay, but I enjoyed the actress they fired more.  Guess you can put me in the column not really watching and not finding a reason that I have to watch.

I just realized the rest I said doesn't belong in this thread, so deleted it since it didn't belong in this thread

Edited by 7kstar

The actors are strong and I did find some moments to like but isn't it time to really address the issues between father and son?  His line about "Get out of my House" only further's the issues, because the next part is stated as he leaves the room.

I think the last scene would have been so much stronger if there had been just a bit of humor.  I wanted to love this show because I loved Selleck so much in Magnum...but it's just not happening.

In an odd way, this family reminds me of a straight arrow version of Parenthood's Braverman's. They're never, EVER wrong, there are never any consequences when they are (but, they're not, because they're the Reagan's).

The worst, of course, is Danny. Over on TWoP, many posters noted that IRL, his flagrant flouting of suspect's constitutional rights (and police procedure in general), would have led to him being fired (and sued) a long time ago. And it wouldn't be so bad if they played the shades of gray and explored the ambiguities of being a cop.

Early in this episode I had a glimmer of hope that there finally might be some consequences. But alas...

Jaimie and Edit Jenko's kissing was awkward. But it seems that they knew it too. The double date with his buddy Spencer Croft and her friend Hayley was fun to watch. Thought Spencer was going to turn out bad.

Danny atleast wasn't the only Detective being investigated. But he got mad thinking his father was investigating him. Frank came out with guidelines of what to do and don't do in interrogation. So it kinda helped save Danny?? Danny and his dad seem to have issues. Erin could have told Danny too.

Thought Spencer was going to turn out bad.

I had the same thought! Probably because the only friends we see of the Reagans end up being shady.

ETA: To share something I liked about the episode - the scene at the end with Frank, Erin and Danny. They have had a few scenes over the years that are just Frank and his kids and it's a different dynamic from when they are with the others. I'm always reminded of how it is when my siblings and I are together with our parents without any of the later additions to the family (in-laws, kids, etc) and we start telling the same stories we've been telling for 40 years. I wish they would do more of that, as long as isn't all the men telling Erin why she is wrong about something.

• Love 1

I know this isn't the correct thread, but not sure how to start a new one.  Just wanted to say that this Friday, April 18th episode was the most I've EVER liked Frank.  (Although I will always hate his relationship with Jaimie, and his secretary.)  I hate watch the show - and love Danny, grin. But wow, great job of humanizing Frank at least to the officers in the bar and the home scene.  Never thought I'd see the day he didn't show someone the consequences of what they did - no matter what!  I was amazed, his mind set allowed him a grey area?!

Jlina - you can add a new thread by clicking the New Topic button on the Blue Bloods forum page. I can create one and move your post. Which episode was it that aired Friday? View the season 4 episode list here

When a famous movie star, Russell Berke, who shadowed Danny for research on his next role, is stabbed, Danny goes to his aid, but must keep the crime on the down-low due to Russell's celebrity status.

Original airdate October 4, 2013

Posts moved - thanks auntlada

After Erin is assigned to investigate a case involving an on-duty police officer accused of killing a suspect already in custody, Frank advises her to stick to the facts in order to avoid a publicity scandal; Jamie urges Eddie to forgive her father.

This continued the *humanization* of Frank for me; he was rude, he admited it; wrong and admited it!  I'd seen this start on an old episode where he buys the cops in the bar a round but I'm still surprised.  Maybe the show will finally finally show some character development.

He was really passive agressive with the young cop though.  I thought the partner being told by her uncle never to rat out a partner, and Frank's "talking to" her with the opposite point of view was a bit over the top, and was really unhappy with the way he fired the guy.  Let him get his hopes up, be oblique, be harsh, give cliched advice? Why not get the guy some therapy or training or put him on desk duty?   Because from the way it looked Frank was ending his career for him, in spite of what the Grand Jury had to say.

So as usual, Frank's judge and jury. That part always skeeves me out; I would hate hate hate to be a Reagan.

Jaimie's relationship with the girl? meh, only good thing I can say is they're equally attractive so it'll probably work out in tv land rules.  Smile.

ETA:  I don't think the cop was right, I think he was afraid in the way a dog will fear bite.  Maybe he'd never make a decent cop even at a desk, but he needed the help the dept. could have easily given imo after seven years.

Edited by Jlina

The biggest eye roller, of course, was the fact that other parties actually called them out on the conflict of interest and it was just handwaved away. Puh-leez, not in a million years would someone as entrenched in police culture as Erin be involved in this case in any way, even as a bystander.

Very little Danny, which was surprising. Maybe Donnie Wahlberg has something else going on and needed to take the week off? He only appeared in the dinner scene and his partner didn't appear at all?

Very little Nicki, which is always a good thing.

The biggest eye roller, of course, was the fact that other parties actually called them out on the conflict of interest and it was just handwaved away. Puh-leez, not in a million years would someone as entrenched in police culture as Erin be involved in this case in any way, even as a bystander.

Yeah what dumbass in the DA's office still has their job after appointing Erin to that investigation. Nevermind Frank is Police Commisioner, it was in Jamie's precinct which would be much more of a conflict. 

• Love 1

After a detective from Danny's precinct is killed while working undercover, Frank goes above and beyond to find the killer only to discover that the victim held a big secret; Jamie and Eddie help Nicky track down a homeless former classmate.

Oh, the depths to which I loathe Nikki know no bounds. With every episode in which she appears, my hate for her grows a little more. She's so smug and disrespectful. She is a 2-dimensional character who is obnoxious and smug and disrespectful. I can't believe how much I hate this character.

Me, too, catalogrrr. The character is portrayed as smug, full of herself, and disrespectful to adults (especially her mother). No matter how obnoxious or inappropriate her comments or behavior, the adult characters just ooh and ah and treat her like she's just so awesome. She's very quick to stick her nose into other people's business and always has a ridiculous comment to make and nobody ever, ever calls her out. They are far too busy being amazed by her awesomeness.

• Love 1

I used to post over at TWOP from time to time with the same username. Once I wrote that I used to wish someone would slap Nikki in the face. Then I wished she would get hit with a shovel. Now I just wish they ship her off to college and we never have to see her again.

Smug and a goody-two-shoes. It's a bizarre combination.

Danny works on an off-limits case and is then put on modified duty. Realizing he's stumbled onto something big, he alerts Frank, who does some digging and is shocked by the enormity of the situation.

Fake out promo!  Looked like Danny was in the "Black Book" in the promo. I hate that bait and switch.  Wow, that woman is resigning to basically sit by the phone and wait for Frank to call? 

Always have hated Erin's boss, still do.  Although Erin is sooooo Reagan: and, I filed a grievance against you!

Jaimie made me a little angry with the fat girl supposition, but then he was right in a way.  Too bad.

Didn't seem like a finale.

• Love 1

Didn't seem like a finale.

Thank goodness. No main character shot, or taken hostage, or framed, or blackmailed, or in any kind of trouble. Seriously, do cliffhangers work on other people? I tend to completely forget about it and then am annoyed when a new season starts and the begin rehashing crap from the previous season.

Frank said something like 5% of the police officers will ever draw their weapons. I think Danny Reagan single-handedly covers the other 95%.

• Love 4

It is great to see Bebe Newich?, Lilith from Cheers in this episode. She still has it.

Agree.  It also (finally) dawned on me that Cmdr. Arbogast (Joe Ventemiglia) was also restauranteur Artie Bucco in The Sopranos.

I like Blue Bloods finales.  Season sewn up nice and tight.  No dangling participles.  No junky cliffhangers.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well was surprised that Dino Arbogast was the one in the little black book. Not Danny like it tried to make you believe in the commercial. Surprised he was in on the suspension of Danny. Dino saluted Frank and he returned it, but later we see him burning his uniform. To bad he was a nice guy.

The B story about Kasia Mazurski and Baltazar Aboud wanting to marry was nice. Eddie kinda fell for it as Jamie was wondering what he saw in her. We all must think it at a time or 2. Them planning to arrest her father Bartosz and his subsequently kicking her out of the family was a little rough.

Must be Madam Eileen Clayton thought the DA sting was to much? That is why she fell to her death? Erin it almost seemed like was on DA Amanda Harris'es side for awhile. But she had to piss off a Reagan,lol

Lindas "grace" at the dinner table was cute. All Reagan men in uniform.

With Danny and Walt Finney goading each other then the charge was against Danny, I figured it was all Finney. Or atleast him and his associate Investigator Bangs. Like when Danny's tire was flat and he blamed it on the "child" Finney. Banks had to hold Finney from getting out to come after Danny. So did Finney slash Danny's tire?? I figured he was after Danny. So was nice to see Finney and Bangs arresting Amanda. Who will now be Erins new boss? The Speed dating lawyer? Or Jack her ex?

Also I think that Kelly Peterson likes Frank and that was bad for her position. That is why she is resigning. Maybe there will be some dating next season unless she leaves town.

Franks speech to the Academy was good.

Edited by webruce
  • Love 2

I hate that John lost out and is off the show because his character Dino is tossed out on his ear. I see him around the neighborhood all the time and I was hoping to get the inside poop on the show.

I was hoping that it was Danny that would get bounced but that was too much to wish for. After all he is the only detective in New York City. What would we do without him?

• Love 1
The B story about Kasia Mazurski and Baltazar Aboud wanting to marry was nice. Eddie kinda fell for it as Jamie was wondering what he saw in her. We all must think it at a time or 2. Them planning to arrest her father Bartosz and his subsequently kicking her out of the family was a little rough.

I hope it's OK to repost this here since when I originally made it, I posted it under the One Police Plaza thread because I couldn't remember the episode:

I was pissed at this for many reasons!  Bad enough marrying under false circumstances.  It was also unnecessary.  The guy could have asked for asylum due to being part of a protected class.  Second, she lost her only known family for a guy who cannot love her like a real husband and whom she will not likely have children with.  Not to mention that eventually, being married to a gay guy is going to get complicated since he'll want to go his way and she hers.  Plus they'd have to deal with follow up interviews to make sure they are living as husband and wife.  If their arrangement is found out, he'll get deported and she risks imprisonment.   As jerky as the father was, it was not worth it, yet we're supposed to root for this ridiculous arrangement.