Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: The Hike

Never invested in Robbie/Jess but SERIOUSLY....they are COUSINS. STFU. I can't decide if that's the laziest of lazy writing or just an idiotic way to break them up. I couldn't even laugh. Not even a snicker.

I was never a "no shoes" in the house kinda person, then I bought a house. I still don't enjoy seeing people's feet, but my floors! 

Winston can usually save a terrible episode and while having some great moments, he couldn't save this one for me.

What's the point the show is going for again? Other than Jess + Nick 4Eva. Ugh.

• Love 6

Something about the Robby/Jess being cousins...worked for me. I hate it in theory, but in execution the guy who played Robby sort of crushed it for me. His singing "The time is now, and the style is wow!" made me actually burst out laughing. Something about these two weirdos trapped and injured in a cave while discovering that they were cousins was just stupid enough to crack me up. We had to get rid of Robby so that Jess could go back to pining for Nick, and I'm okay with this being the reason. 

On the other hand, I hated the whole storyline about the house and the party. I hated it. I like the idea of seeing Ally with her family and seeing her become a bit crazy, especially because I've seen some of my most mature and brilliant friends turn into idiotic teenagers around their siblings, but it got lost in a sea of huge family and the truly boring Schmidt/Cece house drama. It would have been better if Winston had gone to dinner with Ally and her family, been really nervous about impressing her parents, and then not had to worry about it because she and her sister regressed to ten-year-olds. 

What's the point the show is going for again? Other than Jess + Nick 4Eva. Ugh.

I honestly don't know, and I've felt like the show has had very little forward momentum for a long time. Even Schmidt and Cece getting married and buying a house feel like tired sitcom cliches - they're together now, they need new drama, they buy a money pit! I genuinely don't care about their house. I genuinely don't care about Cece's Boys. I genuinely don't care about Reagan. I will admit that I am sticking around to see Jess and Nick get back together, but at this point my suspension of disbelief that these two could possibly get back together is razor thin. I might be a prude, but I couldn't date somebody that I had seen/heard/discussed hooking up with tons of other people across the hall. Just too much baggage for me. But I'm sticking around for it because Jake Johnson and Zooey Deschanel have great chemistry.

• Love 3

As grossed as Jess and Robbie were by finding out that they are cousins, the same thing happened to Mr. EB's college roommate. The first thing you have to know is that this roommate loved to brag about EVERYTHING. He met a girl at a party and they ended up going making out (he says they did not have sex). The next morning when they were having breakfast in the cafeteria, one of them was telling a story about some random uncle (let's say it was Uncle Frank). The other person said, "I have a crazy Uncle Frank too!" They started telling each other about their respective crazy Uncle Franks and it turned out that it was the same crazy Uncle Frank. They weren't first cousins, but they were related. After said roommate told this story, Mr. EB's response was, "Why would you ever tell anyone that you made out with your cousin?!"

But apparently the point of this entire Robbie arc was to show Jess that instead of being with someone who is similar to her, she needs to be with someone who likes to keep raisins in his cheek just in case he wants a little raisin flavor later in the day.

• Love 2

I don't know.  I thought the cousins thing was actually pretty funny so I was OK with it.  

Am I the only one who gets really anxious that they're going to break up Winston and Aly every time she's in an episode?  I love them together and I don't want to see a break up story line with them.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ally862 said:

Am I the only one who gets really anxious that they're going to break up Winston and Aly every time she's in an episode?

No, you're not the only one! They seem to be great for each other. I love the way the show has built that relationship, and I was afraid that Aly's family would mess things up.

The reason for the Jess/Robbie breakup was funny in a cringeworthy way, but otherwise, the show is kind of running on fumes at the moment. Let's get Jess and Nick back together and pull the plug with everyone living happily ever after.

• Love 4

It might seem weird to us modern Americans, but third cousins is really no big deal. It means they share a great, great grandfather. Nobody batted an eye when Lady Mary married her third cousin Matthew, and Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip are like third or fourth cousins. It's pretty common among royalty and the aristocracy (even marrying first cousins used to be quite common; William and Mary, for example, were first cousins, and so were Victoria and Albert). 

I did think it was funny they both had the same glasses and the same prescription. 

• Love 4

This was the best episode in a while for me. First of all, no Reagan = Yay!  Also, Jess and Robbie breaking up = Double Yay! The cousins thing..seemed like lazy writing to me. I thought they could have just went with the reason that they are too alike and the relationship was boring and predictable. It seemed like Jess was hinting at that before they discovered their family ties. But whatever, I'm just glad it's done.  

I loved the part where Nick explains his love for raisins and justified keeping raisins handy in his cheek. You could see Jess's wheels turning when Nick gladly took her raisins. Now the question is,  how long will it take Nick to realize that he should be with Jess? Nick's notoriously stupid and bad at reading cues, so they can probably go the rest of the season without him coming to that realization.  Just give us some snippets of the old Jess and Nick to hold us over, please! We need some awkward and sexually tense moments where they find themselves alone and almost cross the line.  Maybe that sex mug can make a comeback???

The third cousins thing was certainly a lazy way out of the relationship without having to have Jess go through another break-up, due to Nick Feelings, which is starting to get repetitive. But the execution kind of worked this episode with the hike preamble. For the record, when I saw the title, I thought it was going to be an homage to Drew Magary's mind-trippy novel from last year. Where was my crab, show?!

I did enjoy the Winston and Aly-centric part of the party. I adored that they managed to do an Aly's family story, with Iranian characters and the comedy didn't come from cultural differences. They we just kind of bizarre people, that brought out Aly's crazy. No weird food gags, no language barrier gags. Well done. Nick also had some good throw-away humor. The best kind of Nick humor

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saratothej said:

I loved the part where Nick explains his love for raisins and justified keeping raisins handy in his cheek. You could see Jess's wheels turning when Nick gladly took her raisins.

This felt like a callback to Jess breaking up with Fancy Man because their relationship had no fire, and then immediately going home and having a bizarre and passionate argument with Nick. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ally862 said:

Am I the only one who gets really anxious that they're going to break up Winston and Aly every time she's in an episode?  I love them together and I don't want to see a break up story line with them.

Did you see the blurb for the next episode? Apparently Winston's planning to propose to Aly! 

The third cousins reveal should weird me out, but...it was actually pretty funny. Especially when Jess started freaking out that they were going to die in that cave in the woods and people would think they killed themselves because society would never accept them. It was just weird enough to work for me. Even before the cousin reveal, it was clear that they were setting up a Robby/Jess break up, and that Jess needs to be with someone different than her. Now who could that be...

Ali and Winston just work so well together. Ali is definitely my favorite non apartment gang love interest in awhile. "The last time you did this, it was Ferguson in a tuxedo".

• Love 3
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I feel, when I am watching, that the writers of the show are bored. It makes it hard for me to get interested.

I agree. I feel like it's a stalling game until they figure out how many episodes the show has left and then can decide when to make Nick and Jess get back together before the whole show ends.  They've clearly run out of ideas for most of the characters. CeCe and Schmidt's stuff is not that interesting. I don't know what they could do though. There's always a pregnancy but I feel like that's boring and expected as well.  

Nick's Chicago family should come for another visit. I like them.  Hell, bring Coach out for a visit!

I also miss Jess's work relationships. Some of those old teachers were so great.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saratothej said:

They've clearly run out of ideas for most of the characters.

I agree. These past few episodes feel like filler. This show has, for me, always had a bit of a chaotic feel to its creation. The early seasons of the show felt like the writers were flying by the seat of their pants, exploring things and going wherever the characters and situations took them. Now a lot of the fun has been sucked out for me. I am no longer excited and surprised by this weird show. They've got hints and moments of it, but it mostly feels like biding time until the finale. This was appointment TV for me for a long time, but now I find myself a bit bored. It definitely feels like this show is on a march to series finale. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, saratothej said:

I agree. I feel like it's a stalling game until they figure out how many episodes the show has left and then can decide when to make Nick and Jess get back together before the whole show ends.  They've clearly run out of ideas for most of the characters. CeCe and Schmidt's stuff is not that interesting. I don't know what they could do though. There's always a pregnancy but I feel like that's boring and expected as well.  

Nick's Chicago family should come for another visit. I like them.  Hell, bring Coach out for a visit!

I also miss Jess's work relationships. Some of those old teachers were so great.  

Well, I did read yesterday that Zooey is pregnant again so you never know! They might write it in the show or send her off to sequestered jury duty again LOL

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

Well, I did read yesterday that Zooey is pregnant again so you never know! They might write it in the show or send her off to sequestered jury duty again LOL

Oh really?! I did not know that. I'd rather they either write it into the show or just hide it rather than send her off for some dumb excuse again.  I don't really see them having her get knocked up on the show, but you never know. The only way I could see her being pregnant on the show is if they somehow made her a surrogate for someone. Jess being all nicey nice, it's not super far-fetched. 

• Love 1

Being third cousins is not incest or anything. It might be odd, but not a reason to freak out. or break up, even.

I do find it weird that they didnt know. if they were 'family' enough to attend the same family 'events' then they would know each others' existence, no?

On 1/25/2017 at 9:52 AM, iMonrey said:

It might seem weird to us modern Americans, but third cousins is really no big deal. It means they share a great, great grandfather. Nobody batted an eye when Lady Mary married her third cousin Matthew, and Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip are like third or fourth cousins. It's pretty common among royalty and the aristocracy (even marrying first cousins used to be quite common; William and Mary, for example, were first cousins, and so were Victoria and Albert).

Ha, as Boy Tracy told his first cousin Girl Tracey on Chewing Gum, "First cousins is legal in the UK."

On 1/31/2017 at 5:02 PM, Big Mother said:

Being third cousins is not incest or anything. It might be odd, but not a reason to freak out. or break up, even.

I do find it weird that they didnt know. if they were 'family' enough to attend the same family 'events' then they would know each others' existence, no?

IIRC, Jess and Robbie said they had only both been to one of the family events at the same time. If you have a really big family or live out of state or if you tend to go to certain relatives' events but not the other, it's not unbelievable that they didn't know about each other. I know all of my first cousins but I have never met my second or third cousins. I have no idea how many there are or what their names are. The only time I might have been in their vicinity was at my great grandfather's funeral when I was seven years old (even though, according to my mom, we all lived in Chicago at the same time). One of my first cousins just old me a few weeks ago that someone who is a second or third cousin of ours tried to get in touch with her out of the blue recently. We know this person is actually related to us, but this was the first time we'd ever heard of this person.

• Love 1