Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: He Gave Her the Tip

Mark's choices have an impact on the lodge, bringing him deep regret, in the Season 1 finale. Also: Some staffers worry when Joey calls an end-of-the-season team meeting; Cynthia receives a heartbreaking text; and Jenna settles a score.

That was pretty boring. That guest Shawn came across like she was being paid by production to stir shit. 

The staff sleeping with the guests is so incredibly inappropriate. I can't help comparing it to Below Deck where the staff gets in trouble with Captain Lee just for talking to guests too much.

What was the heartbreaking text Cynthia received (from the episode description)? I missed that completely.

Edited by Michichick
  • Love 3

As Jamie closed the door of the lodge tonight I looked at my hubby and said "Eight episodes and I did not see a single example of the 5-star service TCL was bragging about."  Mr. Moving was shocked "THIS is 5-star service...it is more like white trash service from a bunch of high schoolers.  The lodge was total crap.  I've stayed in better Holiday Inns".   

I want to ask my fellow snarkers, Would you pay good money to stay at TCL?

• Love 5

God, I'm  glad it's over.  I liked Louise.  She was the only one who actually worked.  I follow this with Jamie.  The rest....  Cole and Blake I can give a break to.  As for the tip, if these guests had any self awareness, Louise deserved the most but unfortunately the one who cleaned your toilet  bowls is the least remembered.  Says a bunch about these guests.

I can't stand Mark but um Jenna, Jenn, (or whatever her name is) is what did you expect?  Same goes for Nik and the one who skis that apparently was disappointed that Blake's friend who didn't show up for Joey's party.  

Joey Gibbons and his attempts at a reality show needs to just go away.  I'm ashamed of watching this.  At least I'm not watching that show about the summer house in the Hamptons.  Ok.  They're not really in the Hamptons.  They're in Montauk. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, breezy424 said:

They're not really in the Hamptons.  They're in Montauk. 

The Mayor of Montauk would like you to know they are actually in Amagansett.

Cynthia was ridiculous basically going into the house in boy short pjs and her general attitude .

Jenna was beyond ridiculous with asking a question she already knew the answer to and only asking it so she could pretend to care and get out of work.

4 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

As a house rental without the employees and in the off season when this was filmed, Mark said it was May, where you don't need to be close to the slopes but never during the season and i would pay ok money. 

Nikita that notebook could have been thrown in the recycling bin if you took out the metal.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

I know they probably get the vacation for nothing - like on Below Deck- but I would be pissed if I paid big bucks and had to share a place with another group.

Al these young ones with money and they come from Hawaii and Texas for one or 2 nights. Ain't buying it!

Jenna needs a smack

• Love 2

I wouldn't want to share the lodge either.  I have rented quite a few log cabins at various places.  I would enjoy the chef as this cabin is a drive from shops.  I would also enjoy being driven and picked up.  The rest of the time I shouldn't see the staff unless it was for a specific excursion like the skiing.  Who wants to party with 20 year old staff?  You go to places like the lodge to bond with your friends, unless your parents are rich it is old fuddies like me in my 40s that actually can pay for this type of vacation.

The Mark stuff was annoying and gross.  He was skanky but it isn't like he was still dating Jenna.  She was only upset because he was a skank and him sleeping with someone else so easily may mean sex is just sex to him so the same goes for him sleeping with her.  It is just gross for staff to sleep with customers, no matter how much the customer wants it. 

Edited by fountain
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, fountain said:

wouldn't want to share the lodge either.

And the reserve two tables at the same restaurant for the two groups, figuring they might want to mingle. What evidence is there that the groups *want* to mingle? Seems like they're just being lazy so they're going to let the two groups entertain each other. Five star indeed.

• Love 2

I will be at my table for one for preferring this format to the previous Apres Ski. I like that everyone had pretty much one actual job. I do think the whole partying with guests stuff needs to go if this show gets another season. I think they can find enough drama without the hook ups and drinking with the guests. Overall I liked everyone cast except Mark (mostly just the early episodes), Jenna, and Cynthia. I have to admit I liked Jamie and Louise the best.

I just can't with Jenna. The previous episode Mark said that they should not be together anymore, to which Jenna replied something like "I knew that four days ago." In that same episode she told him how much above him she is. Then she proceeds to pretend to lose her phone to basically cock block him. Sure, it was skanky (and normally inappropriate, but apparently is a part of the five star service at TCL) of Mark to sleep with the guest, but Jenna and him were not together. At least he did not lie about it when she asked him and he did seem remorseful. Nikita said the woman he slept with was acting like a 12 year old girl, I thought no Jenna is. She is the one who could not serve the guests in the morning and then proceeded to act like Mark cheated on her or something.

What the hell was Cynthia even thinking about wandering to the guest house in her boy shorts and t-shirt? I mean Jamie had to tell her to change into her uniform? Really? That should be pretty logical.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:
13 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

As a house rental without the employees and in the off season when this was filmed, Mark said it was May, where you don't need to be close to the slopes but never during the season and i would pay ok money. 

I think TCL should pay the guests for putting up with the staff.  However,  I think Jamie and Louise are great and would not lump them in with the rest of the staff.  

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Love 2

and all this hugging the guests when they return from dinner. Me, when I return from dinner, would like to be politely greeted "Did you have a nice time? Can I make you a drink? We've built a fire in the fireplace if you'd like to hang out in the living room. And the hot tub is right out back and we could bring you some snacks out there."  

Then stand back and leave me alone.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

and all this hugging the guests when they return from dinner. Me, when I return from dinner, would like to be politely greeted "Did you have a nice time? Can I make you a drink? We've built a fire in the fireplace if you'd like to hang out in the living room. And the hot tub is right out back and we could bring you some snacks out there."  

Then stand back and leave me alone.

Yes, yes and yes.  I do not want to vacation at a hormonal, immature frat party. 

• Love 6

Mark, Jenna and the client Mark banged were all acting like high school kids…the ladies more than him.  Though Mark saying he's upset about the sitch and bailing out the door immediately was equally lame.  Did Mark not get a tip because he refused to give needy guest another ride on his tip?

Louise's crying when everyone else cleaned up for her was OTT.  I get she was happy to be appreciated, but dial it down, lady!

I'm glad this is over, it was about equal to Aprés Ski…so not good.

• Love 3

As Jamie closed the door of the lodge tonight I looked at my hubby and said "Eight episodes and I did not see a single example of the 5-star service TCL was bragging about."  Mr. Moving was shocked "THIS is 5-star service...it is more like white trash service from a bunch of high schoolers.  The lodge was total crap.  I've stayed in better Holiday Inns".   

IMO, it's not five star if you have to share lodging with another group. But I'm not very familiar with an "ultra-luxurious" ski lodge such as this. So no I would not pay good money or bad money to stay at TCL.

Mark, Jenna and the client Mark banged were all acting like high school kids…the ladies more than him.  Though Mark saying he's upset about the sitch and bailing out the door immediately was equally lame.  Did Mark not get a tip because he refused to give needy guest another ride on his tip?

Jenna was bad (Mark too) but at least I could understand where she was coming from. That guest, however--oof! She was just being a total bitch, which was also understandable if she limited the butchery to Mark; I'm surprised she stopped short of peeing on him to mark her turf or hurt herself trying to rub Jenna's face in it.

2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Jenna was bad (Mark too) but at least I could understand where she was coming from. That guest, however--oof! She was just being a total bitch, which was also understandable if she limited the butchery to Mark; I'm surprised she stopped short of peeing on him to mark her turf or hurt herself trying to rub Jenna's face in it.

But here is the thing did the guest know that Jenna and Mark ever were a thing because the previous episode Jenna acted like a complete bitch to her before the hookup and was also a complete bitch after. 

• Love 4

Yeah, she knew. Whether Mark told her or production set her up. I suspect production, because when she was making inappropriate comments at breakfast to the combined guest group, they all stopped eating and looked at her like she was scabies. Plus there was that scene played at least 3 times where she corners Mark in the game closet with a big 'wink' to the camera crew and she asks him flat out about it being cool (actually, I think she said something like 'you're not going to be all uncool and ignore me, are you?') with Jenna being there. I don't think she used Jenna's name, maybe that's why Jenna refers to herself as Jenna all the time, because she's forgettable. I intend on forgetting her immediately. And Mark. I couldn't even comment on the episode where he drops that he was sexually assaulted and Jenna flips. All of that was so wrong, sad and just wrong on so many levels. It could go some way to explaining his hysterics this episode though. 

I actually preferred Apres Ski. Watching a season of this has left me feeling dirty. I'm a fan of Below Deck and BDMed, where we know the guests get a discount for holidaying with Bravo, but they at least treat their audience as though we are maybe a cut above the VPR crowd. This is a new bottom. 

To the question above: NO. No way in hell would I accept paying for this as a 'luxury experience'. Another thing the Below Deck franchises get right. And I laughed at the poster who's husband was appalled that it was described as such. I loved the scenery we got to see, but there was so little of it and so much clunky wood detailing and me wondering how sticky the wooden floors were getting from the buckets of booze being spilled.

The episode description bore little resemblance to what happened in this episode. I don't even know why we had to see the cheap ass Gibbons Life employee barbeque, except to wonder...all those people, and we got THIS crew for the show? THIS is your pick of the bunch? i was also more interested in knowing who the guy was they dedicated the episode to and what happened to him. So disappointing. 

The only reason I ended up persisting with this was to come here and read the snark about it. (except for the epi of the disclosure. That was too much)

• Love 2

But here is the thing did the guest know that Jenna and Mark ever were a thing because the previous episode Jenna acted like a complete bitch to her before the hookup and was also a complete bitch after. 

Oh, I don't even know -- but I have known That Girl, man, and it is never cute. She's probably just a jerk in general (to women in particular, I'm guessing) and very full of herself. But she seems like the type to really revel in the dubious honor of being "liked better" than another girl. Ugh, that whole putting herself in his eye-line business, the super-transparent "I'm pissy because this is boring" routine followed by the "I want to be alone...but please god, come after me!" exit, and that "joke" at breakfast that only she fake-laughed at...blegh. Like the (mercifully few) chicks like that I've known, she's probably less into the guy than she is into making the "pushed aside" girl feel inferior.

Edited by TattleTeeny

Jenna said it was over so why should she care if Mark boned some other chick?  As for breakfast, she should have sucked it up and done her job and served breakfast.  Gag.  Jenna's so trashy and revolting.

On 1/23/2017 at 7:50 PM, movingtargetgal said:

I wouldn't stay at TCL if they paid me good money.  Louise is the only one that's worth a damn, the rest need to be stuffed down a garbage chute.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 1/23/2017 at 6:15 PM, Michichick said:

That was pretty boring. That guest Shawn came across like she was being paid by production to stir shit. 

The staff sleeping with the guests is so incredibly inappropriate. I can't help comparing it to Below Deck where the staff gets in trouble with Captain Lee just for talking to guests too much.

What was the heartbreaking text Cynthia received (from the episode description)? I missed that completely.

The guy she was interested in, Joel, didn't really want to see her anymore.

Setting aside the many, many reasons to dislike Jenna, she's such a liar about being a mathematics major. There is no way that is true. Besides, she went to Southern Alabama U for one year? That does not make you an anything major. I find it immensely difficult to believe she has any meaningful training in mathematics. Sure, she can recite some math courses from a catalog. Wow! Misrepresentation at its finest. On top of being a childish hypocrite, a liar to boot! Sorry, just really dislike this person.

Edited by Dan Choeo
Error