Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: All Aboard!

Anne Burrell and Rachael Ray teach the recruits all about flavor, starting with a skill drill that puts their tongues and taste buds to the test.

For the main dish challenge, the recruits put their newly-learned flavor combination skills to work as they take a culinary trip around the world and make a roulade inspired by a basket of ingredients that corresponds to the cuisine of a foreign country.

It looks like they're steadily weeding out all the "contestants" from central casting.  Next to go should be the dumb blond who's into ketchup and the hyperactive young woman with elf ears.  I don't really mind any of the men who are left but the only women I can stand are the one who is a lawyer and acts like a normal human and the flight attendant who seems OK although she did start a sentence with "Me and......." which drives me up the wall.  

• Love 2

So Rachael sent Tom Cruise home and Anne put us out of the misery of having to watch Jetta's schtick.  I was fine with dumping them both, but the teams really have a ways to go.

Does Daniel have an attitude problem or what?  He ought to be the bachelor who can't get a date, not the cuddly nerd on Rachel's team.  Geez, he seems unpleasant.  In fact, looking at both teams, Rachael's group seems to have it all over Anne's bunch of misfits.  Mandy's relentless stupid act (that she seems to think is really cute)  got old in the first episode . Kayla reminds me of Carnie Wilson at her most overbearing self.

However the candidates for Most Annoying are gone, so I guess I'll watch the rest of the series without an ice pick positioned in my outer ear canal.

• Love 3

Jetta couldn't leave fast enough and what did she actually learn?  I think she actually got worse.  Her knife skills was the only improvement she can take away from her obnoxious appearance on this show.  Even though Daniel can seem unpleasant, he actually seems like one of the more real contestants on this show.  His attitude actually makes me laugh, even though he's not trying to be dim-witted or funny.

• Love 3

Daniel is an ass and Anne appears to be wise to it, based on her comments to him this week. 

Mandy and Maria (is it?) would be the next ones to go if I had anything to do with it.  I have a hard time believing Mandy is really that stupid, and all that frenetic nonsense from Maria is just exhausting.

• Love 3

As Anne & Rachael ask for the aprons of the less talented, it seems that others emerge to shine in the "spotlight of obnoxiousness."  

Actually, Jetta wasn't all that obnoxious last night but it was time for her to go.    I'm wondering about her hair (who isn't?).  It was all gray and frizzy on the top, but underneath, it looked like she had dark roots.  Hmmm ... something to ponder another day.

Mandy and her ketchup bottle can leave any time now.   Same with Maria who can't focus on the tasks.  

I didn't quite get Anne ragging on Daniel about "you're better than that ... you have more potential than that" and threatening to kick him off.  If anything, she should keep him around for the final challenge where the contestants cook for the judging panel.

Edited by DallasGypsy
misspelling
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, DallasGypsy said:

As Anne & Rachael ask for the aprons of the less talented, it seems that others emerge to shine in the "spotlight of obnoxiousness."  

Actually, Jetta wasn't all that obnoxious last night but it was time for her to go.    I'm wondering about her hair (who isn't?).  It wasn't all gray and frizzy on the top, but underneath, it looked like she had dark roots.  Hmmm ... something to ponder another day.

Mandy and her ketchup bottle can leave any time now.   Same with Maria who can't focus on the tasks.  

I didn't quite get Anne ragging on Daniel about "you're better than that ... you have more potential than that" and threatening to kick him off.  If anything, she should keep him around for the final challenge where the contestants cook for the judging panel.

I thought her hair was a wig.

• Love 1

There were several moments during this episode that I really thought had the potential to be part of an interesting show.  I like it when they do actual instruction and the participants are actually working to try to achieve something. But no, as usual the producers had to go with wacky hijinks, low comedy sound effects and general shittiness.  

I can't remember any of their names but I sympathized with the guy who tried to reproduce what he'd learned the week before, only to be rudely told that wasn't an option.  No, have them pull something out of their asses and be surprised that it looks and tastes like shit.

• Love 3

After too many seasons of this show I've decided the "choose your own combinations" episodes in the middle are my favorites. It's beyond just the basics in a way that's actually useful (unlike cooking octopus or making their own pasta) and lends itself to mistakes that still seem sane. This one didn't disappoint.  I actually enjoyed it even to the point of laughing at some of the cliched "dumb" comments. (In my defense, I'm sick these past few days.)

On 1/16/2017 at 2:39 PM, Rammchick said:

Daniel is an ass and Anne appears to be wise to it, based on her comments to him this week. 

Yeah, while repeating pico de gallo was indeed chastise-worthy, his second dish wasn't a copout. I was convinced that if he got the boot it was because he doesn't play well with others and they needed a reason. But with Jetta gone maybe this was meant to be the shakeup that grooms him as the winner. I'll be curious to watch if he's still a know-it-all in future episodes or if we stop seeing that so much.

Edited by Amarsir

I too couldn't figure out why Ann hated Daniel so much, unless it was just because he was a condescending ass to the others. Funny that someone who is on a show called "Worst Cooks in America" can be condescending in the kitchen. Lol 

I also love that it took two people 30 minutes to make a fried egg on toast!

• Love 3

I don't mind Daniel.  I think he's one of the "real" contestants and is actually serious about what he's doing and is just frustrated with all the nonsense even though he should have known what to expect if he's watched the show in the past.  I have a feeling I'd probably be just as prickly in that environment.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, mlp said:

I don't mind Daniel.  I think he's one of the "real" contestants and is actually serious about what he's doing and is just frustrated with all the nonsense even though he should have known what to expect if he's watched the show in the past.  I have a feeling I'd probably be just as prickly in that environment.

I hadn't really thought of Daniel in that light, but you may have something there.  The bulk of the contestants are such raving lunatics that I wouldn't want to work with them either.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Rammchick said:

What is it about Bobby Flay that drives the African American women on this show so crazy?  First loony Carla and now Ann.  It's almost like the producer's are punking him.

I don't know, but when he was on this show, he seemed very uncomfortable with that kind of attention.  That Photoshopped picture of shirtless Bobby made me very uncomfortable.  Plus it reminded me of those awful pictures of shirtless Putin.

• Love 4
On January 16, 2017 at 1:05 AM, Maverick said:

So that was Jettas "home video"   Uh huh   It totally wasn't an audition tape   

She's like one of those horrific singers you see on any talent show who has been told by their mom/friends/church they are the bestest singer evah! and don't know when to cut the shit. 

On January 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Rammchick said:

What is it about Bobby Flay that drives the African American women on this show so crazy?  First loony Carla and now Ann.  It's almost like the producer's are punking him.

A few years ago I managed a store and one of my cashiers was a college kid, blond and the prettiest blue eyes you'll ever see. He had more African American women who were old enough to be his mom blatantly flirt with him than I could count. It was a good thing he was good natured about it, it could have been uncomfortable if he wasn't. Those women were aggressive! And since it was a store geared for kids, kinda weird too! I think it's Bobby's red headed looks. 

• Love 1
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 1:39 PM, mlp said:

He has a decent palate and doesn't eat like a toddler in his real life. He's mentioned frittatas and other slightly exotic dishes as far as this show is concerned. He was the one contestant who knew all of the various egg dishes.

• Love 2

Who would have thought they would have ditched the three most annoying phony characters so quickly? 

While Jetta always struck me as a total phony, one who most likely knows how to cook but was just looking for her shot at TV fame, she should have been the second one to leave ( after the tuna surprise idiot), but I guess I should be glad she is gone anyway. I had to hit mute whenever she was given airtime. If anyone had any little bit of doubt that she was phony, the home video they showed of her should have erased any doubt. 

One big problem with the characters they cast for this show is the fact that they obviously are familiar with the Food Channel, in order to be aware of this show and to know how to apply. Yet they pretend that they don't even know the simplest of cooking terms or ingredients, which defies logic. I am far from a good cook, but I have learned so much from watching this network over the years, and while I doubt I could whip up some culinary masterpiece, I can understand most of what they talk about just from watching and from going to restaurants during my lifetime. I do not know a single person who is an adult and is as totally clueless in the kitchen as the characters they repeatedly pass off on us.

Finally, the rest of the cast, while still having some characters left, are at least tolerable. 

Maybe there is some hope for this show after all.

Edited by MajorWoody
Typos
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

One big problem with the characters they cast for this show is the fact that they obviously are familiar with the Food Channel, in order to be aware of this show and to know hw to apply.

Well, the story is that they're nominated by friends and relatives. The FN website even has a separate submission form to submit a Worst Cooks on someone else's behalf. Of course the "home video" does belie that a bit.

• Love 1