Type keyword(s) to search

Jackie (2016)

Spartan Girl
  • Start Topic

We don't have a thread for this one? Well, if Natalie is going to get another Oscar out of this, we probably should...

I just saw this yesterday, and I think this performance was even more intense than Black Swan. Whether Natalie got the voice right is debatable, but she nailed the look and she acted the hell out of this one. I loved the way they portrayed Jackie, who doesn't get enough credit for the dignity and grace she showed after husband got murdered right next to her -- and yes, they show that scene. In graphic detail. I literally gasped "Oh my God" in the theater, it's that brutal.

But this movie allowed her her humanity too. She's grieving, but at the same time she's savvy enough to know how to control the media. They do allude to all the other women, and even though the Kennedy marriage was very much a "look the other way as long as he comes back to you and the kids" situation, she still resented it. My favorite scene was when she gets drunk, puts on the Camelot record, and starts morbidly modeling all those glamorous outfits and jewelry. I wouldn't be shocked if that really happened.

My mother was kind of astounded that they left out John-John's salute out of the funeral scene, since it was so iconic. But whatever. It was still a good movie.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

Thank you @Spartan Girl for starting this topic, and commenting on the film.  It's one of the 3 I still have to watch for 2016.  It's a must for me, but I've been putting it off because I know I'll find it heavy.  You've added some details for me that I absolutely needed to know.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Of all the movies I wanted to see this year this is the only one I have left to watch. It's not showing anywhere near me right now. Thanks @Spartan Girl for your thoughts! The reviews for this have been amazing; it sounds like Jackie is a haunting sucker punch.

Out of curiosity, @Spartan Girl, how are the scenes (or moments; I've heard the film focuses mostly on Jackie) between Jackie and Bobby?

4 hours ago, slf said:

Of all the movies I wanted to see this year this is the only one I have left to watch. It's not showing anywhere near me right now. Thanks @Spartan Girl for your thoughts! The reviews for this have been amazing; it sounds like Jackie is a haunting sucker punch.

Out of curiosity, @Spartan Girl, how are the scenes (or moments; I've heard the film focuses mostly on Jackie) between Jackie and Bobby?

They were really good. Bobby was shown as generally being a supportive family member while struggling with his own grief and the concerns about the family's safety (since they were trying to get to the bottom of what happened). He's also concerned about his brother's legacy; he laments that Jack didn't have enough time to do all of the things he could have been renowned for, like the civil rights movement and the space program.

• Love 1
On 12/27/2016 at 5:23 AM, Spartan Girl said:

They were really good. Bobby was shown as generally being a supportive family member while struggling with his own grief and the concerns about the family's safety (since they were trying to get to the bottom of what happened). He's also concerned about his brother's legacy; he laments that Jack didn't have enough time to do all of the things he could have been renowned for, like the civil rights movement and the space program.

Thanks! I usually enjoy Peter Sarsgaard so I was pleased to see he's playing RFK.

I thought this movie was a C-. A couple near me walked out. This is not a well-made movie.  Impressive sets, great costumes and period details, but the music was overbearing and didn't fit and the movie was very disjointed. Natalie Portman did a terrific job, that is for sure. But I thought it was a bizarre, unemotional movie (about a deeply emotional event) that did not flow well at all. Very disappointed because I had been looking forward to seeing this.

• Love 4

The movie was disjointed, but since she was telling the story...it made sense...

I def think Natalie deserves the Oscar for this, even more so than she did for Black Swan, getting the mannerisms down, the voice for the most part....I thought she was excellent but I could be biased because I am a fan

I felt the movie was pretty deep emotionally, I felt for her...for me the part that made me the saddest was john's bday party, I don't know why, but I almost started crying at that scene, as for not showing the salute-my mom was wondering the same thing, maybe they didn't get permission from the family, the only thing i could think of, or because the movie was about her, he didn't want that scene overshadowing the moment????

Like Casey Affleck with Manchester, I felt the acting of the main character is oscar worthy, but I don't think the rest of the movie will or should win other awards...maybe for best director, but that really should go to Barry Jenkins for Moonlight

Edited by snickers
  • Love 1
On 1/16/2017 at 1:35 PM, MerBearHou said:

I thought this movie was a C-. A couple near me walked out. This is not a well-made movie.  Impressive sets, great costumes and period details, but the music was overbearing and didn't fit and the movie was very disjointed. Natalie Portman did a terrific job, that is for sure. But I thought it was a bizarre, unemotional movie (about a deeply emotional event) that did not flow well at all. Very disappointed because I had been looking forward to seeing this.

Totatally agree.  I was bored throughout.  The director did love his closeups, we could probably have counted the pores on Natalie Portman and Billy Crudup's faces.  There is NO plot.  Just talk, talk, talk.  I don't see any Oscar worthiness at all.

I liked Greta Gurwig, though.

7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I totally didn't know John Hurt was the priest. So this was his final movie? Sad.

He has four more movies that are not out yet - Darkest Hour, My Name Is Lenny, Damascus Cover, and That Good Night.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 1

I don't know if I was in just the right mood for it, but I loved it. To the point where I'm sad Natalie Portman doesn't have a shot in hell against Emma Stone.

There was just...mood here. I think what struck me so much throughout the movie is how much life goes on after death. Jackie had built this very beautiful world within the White House- she had done so much and truly lived up to what she was expected as a society wife. Be beautiful, create a beautiful home, and be the perfect hostess. But now that husband is gone, her purpose is gone, and everyone's ready to cosign not just him but her to the history pages. She had to say goodbye not just to him, but to her life as the First Lady, way before she was ready to.

It felt like a raw documentary and it spoke to me.

• Love 6

I didn't love it, but I've watched every single movie of the 5 nominees for SAG award for Best Actress in a movie - with the exception of Florence Foster Jenkins.  I started it, but goodness.  I couldn't finish it.  

The nominees

Amy Adams, Arrival
Emma Stone, La La Land
Emily Blunt, The Girl on the Train
Natalie Portman, Jackie
Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

Now, even though this idea gets much mockery on social media, my personal favourite for this award is Emily Blunt's performance.  But I do think that technically Natalie did do the best job.  My third pick would be Amy Adams.  Also a lot of people seemed to really love her performance and were upset at her being shut out at the Globes.  My FOURTH pick would be Emma.  And I love love love Meryl but I just couldn't get into that movie.  I think I may give it another chance someday.

Of course Emma wins..... for goodness sake.  I wonder if the voters just didn't watch Jackie.

Ok, wow ... was not expecting the graphic, gruesome detail in that one scene!   I mean, I have actually seen the autopsy photos before, from a book about the assassination that I once (to my regret) flipped through in a bookstore, so I knew how bad the injuries really were.  But I really expected them to gloss over it and just show the blood on her clothes!  Yikes.  

Anyway ... phenomenal performance by Portman.  Sarsgaard makes a fine RFK, as well, but the movie is really all about her.   Portman is simply stunning here.  

This is certainly not a feel-good movie, but it is thought provoking watching Jackie deal with intense grief and hold herself together.  It does give a realistic portrayal of grief and  loss ... she didn't just lose her husband, she lost the entire idea and image of what her life was and meant (other than protecting and loving her kids), and many of her hopes for the future.   And she had to process that in front of the whole world.

The kids playing Caroline and John Jr. were absolutely precious.  Poor John John ... I got chills at the scene where Jackie cries that her children are not lucky, since that unfortunately turned out to be true.  

• Love 1

Not sure if I read this somewhere but it also struck me as I watching the movie as well but I was taken aback by the scene where she takes off the pink suit.  It's when I realized she wore it all day.  All day.  All day wearing a suit splattered with her now slain husband's blood and brain matter.  It's hard to see historical figures as anything but characters in stories told to us by others, even sometimes in biopics, but that's when the actual Jackie became a real person to me.  I agree that I thought the film did a great job showing how not only did she lose her husband (awful enough) but also her very public job/purpose and even her home which are things I never considered.  I initially went to check out Portman's performance but I really did take away a lot from the real Jackie's story.  Due to how heavy and real it was (one of my coworkers said "What did you expect? A comedy?") it's one of those movies that I'm glad I saw but don't think I want to see again.

• Love 6

I watched this film finally.  I wanted to like it but I was largely unimpressed with the flow of the story.  The acting was great but many of the actors just didn't pop in their scenes to me for some reason or other, and I didn't realize this until John Hurt showed up and I realized how much more I enjoyed his scenes with Natalie Portman. It also took quite a while for me to recognize Greta Gerwig. 

I was not impressed with the gory recreation of JFK's assassination close to the end. 

Edited because cpcathy is right. 

Edited by raezen