Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Exodus

You know, I hate that they surrounded that wonderful story with Blanche (yes, I got close to tears, I'm not made of stone, people) with all that other ridiculousness.  When fucking Saved by the Bell has done a birth in an elevator, it's time to find a new story.

And I know getting someone loopy on Dilaudid is funnier, but kidney stones get Toradol.

Enjoyed the episode. 

So glad to see Jessie back, and he even got Campbell to admit that he wanted his Mama back.

You get to realize that amidst the drama and misery and dire circumstances of Angeles, these doctors are getting great training yet you see the appeal of going the route of the doctors in a more corporate kind of environment. The writers might've been less heavy-handed depicting the difference in the doctors' skill sets, though. All of the non-Angeles doctors, the plastic surgeon and the two white-coated ones, made mistakes. I'd like to think that the latter two compared themselves to the Angeles doctors and decided to sharpen their skills. I'd like to think that the plastic surgeon loses his license. 

For a long time, I kept thinking that Noa (more specifically, her nose) reminded me of someone else, and I finally figured it out. Ellen Burstyn. 

I had a feeling that Willis was going to plant one on Blanche in the end.  Barbara Bain (don't think I've seen her since the original "Mission: Impossible") probably got a few chuckles doing that scene. 

I hope Guthrie returns. You could see his influence on Angus in this episode. This time Angus was "Master" and the other doctor was "Grasshopper".

Wow,  I didn't realize seeing that it was Barbara Bain.   I guess I will always think of her as the beautiful Cinnamon Carter on Mission Impossible.  That scene between her and Rob Lowe was stunning.  I have to admit that I was a bit verklempt watching it.  Even though the technical medical scenes are overhyped at times I really enjoy this show.  Ultimately it always comes down to the characters and they hold your interest.  Marcia Gay Hardin is a great actress and she looks amazing on this show.  Luis Guzman is a huge plus on any show that he's on and the entire ensemble had been very good. 

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 6

I enjoyed this episode too. I'm glad Jessie is back. I liked him in the bright color scrubs running around taking control of "his"  ER no matter if he was an employee or not. I liked his scenes with the patient from the plastic surgery center.  I've had the same medicine they gave her to get her heart rate down & thought the portrayal was accurate. It literally feels like a truck is running you over, but only for a few seconds. I also laughed out loud at the scene in the elevator.  The guy Dr ( forgot his name) pulled up the sheet & said "oh crap!!"   I'm glad Angus asked his new doctor friend out & hope it becomes a story line. I'm with the rest of you too about not recognizing Barbara Bain. She looked familiar to me but I just couldn't place her.  I've had Dilaudid for kidney stones - made me more tired than loopy, but he was funny.

@cali1981, @Barb23, in a rare moment of reading a few intro credits, I noted that she was on the show. Even at that, I had to remind myself that someone on the show was Barbara Bain. She looks just as Cinnamon did 45+ years ago, just, uh, 45+ years older. The eyes are the same.

I'm with you two. On this show, it's about characters reacting to critical situations, regardless of the veracity of the science.

• Love 1

24 went downhill when it became clear that the writers had no idea how to generate drama other than by killing off characters. They went to that well so often that pretty soon audiences just didn't care.

Code Black is becoming the medical equivalent of 24. 

• Love 3

You know, I hate that they surrounded that wonderful story with Blanche (yes, I got close to tears, I'm not made of stone, people

Oh, starri, don't you worry, I had tears running down my face.  I heart Rob Lowe. 

I am so glad Jesse's back.  

Chartreuse ftw. 

• Love 1

From what I gathered from this episode, if you are a doctor, but DON'T work at Angeles Memorial, you are completely incompetent. 

The other thing that I was WTH about...majority of the patients walking to the other hospital. If they were well enough to walk, etc, couldn't they have just waited out the power outage? Also, if there was another hospital so close by,  why is AM always in code black? 

I did like the ending with Rob Lowe kissing his patient.  I was a bit teary eyed. 

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 1

I'm glad Angus asked his new doctor friend out & hope it becomes a story line.

Totally.  She is cute.  Please let Angus be happy for a change and get some lovin'.

That scene between her and Rob Lowe was stunning.  I have to admit that I was a bit verklempt watching it.

Sniff, sniff.  Me too.  I deleted it off the DVR but want to recover it to watch it again.  Reminded me of some of the emotional and sentimental patient stories on ER back in the day.

This show is actually getting SLIGHTLY better. But "we can't move the woman with the fractured pelvis!" but "we can carry her up 8 flights!" I chose to ignore that. 

And while I like to see the change in Campbell over the arc of the season, he did not have to be such a (badly written) martinet. The scenes with his daughter in the previous episode showed he can actually act, rather than just bluster.

They are going Peter Benton (ER) with him, but that's a character that actually works. "I want my Momma."

The main thing I took away from this episode was that all doctors who don't work at Angeles Memorial are incompetent! I thought it was a bit heavy handed.

• We have Jesse vs plastic surgeon, Leanne vs head Dr., Angus vs Dr. love interest, and then if that wasn't enough we have Mario & Noa doing surgery in the ambulance to really drive home the point that Angeles Memorial doctors are awesome!

The other thing I took away from the episode was that the writers must have gotten a memo that said “we need more romance”. They didn’t introduce just one potential couple but three!

• Mario& Noa: they have been hinting at them pretty much all season, so I guess I can’t say they were introduced in this episode, but they did indicate they will go there with the almost kiss. I’m not really interested in them as a couple. They are better than Mario & Heather; however, I still don’t really care. 
  • Angus& Dr. Love Interest: I’m glad Angus asked her out and I’m glad she said yes, but I really do not need their story to take over episodes. I also really do not want to see Dr. Love Interest show up at Angeles Memorial because she realized she wants to be an amazing Dr. too.
  • Ethan & Dr. Psychologist: I'm ambivalent about them. If they pursue them as a couple that's ok; if they don't pursue them as a couple I'm ok with that too.

Besides those takeaway things, I found two things ridiculous.

• The whole we can't move the woman with the fractured pelvis, but we can carry her up 8 flights! Also if I'm going to carry someone up 8 flight of stairs I'm going to ditch the high heels!
  • The whole patients walking to another hospital. I mean why? If you're well enough to walk you can wait in the dark until the powers back on or go home. The whole parade of patients seemed unnecessary.

However, even with saying all that I did enjoy the episode.  Ethan and the old lady was the best story of the episode.

I have been binge watching this season so I am clearly late to the party. I did groan when I saw Lisagay Hamilton in the credits. I can't stand her resting bitch face and she always plays bitchy characters. I hope she's just in this episode and doesn't pop up again any time soon. 

1 hour ago, hookedontv said:

I have been binge watching this season so I am clearly late to the party. I did groan when I saw Lisagay Hamilton in the credits. I can't stand her resting bitch face and she always plays bitchy characters. I hope she's just in this episode and doesn't pop up again any time soon. 

I'm going to spoiler tag this just in case; Lisagay Hamilton

Spoiler

was only in this episode.

Edited by Fireball