Type keyword(s) to search

Trader Joe's

Spunkygal
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, spiderpig said:

TJ's sells peach halves in jars.  I know, I know...but they are great to have on the shelf and don't have that metallic taste.

They look pretty, too.

My husband is obsessed with them. He goes through at least 2 jars a week. 

• Love 2

OK Earthlings...we're just back from our weekly trot to TJ's, and their sample bar was handing out little ice cream cones.  Vanilla and chocolate ice cream covered in frozen chocolate and served in teensy 2" cones.  The sign said they were $2.99 in the freezer section, but they were out.

You're welcome.  Have a nice day.  :)

• Love 2

Has anyone tried TJ's G.O.A.T (Greatest Of All Toast) recipe?  Four ingredients:  multigrain bread, herbed goat cheese, sliced cling peaches, and a fresh basil garnish.

I have all the ingredients assembled, and my sister is bugging me to make it.

7 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Has anyone tried TJ's G.O.A.T (Greatest Of All Toast) recipe?  Four ingredients:  multigrain bread, herbed goat cheese, sliced cling peaches, and a fresh basil garnish.

I have all the ingredients assembled, and my sister is bugging me to make it.

I haven't, but I volunteer to be the Guinea pig for @spiderpig!

I've unearthed some frozen French Onion Soup from TJs in my garage freezer.  I keep meaning to try it, but I am a wuss about trying new stuff unless I am in the right frame of mind (which is an exceedingly rare event).

Anyone have any deep thoughts on it?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

It's a deal.  Is Three Buck Chuck's Pinot Grigio an acceptable libation?

I've never had it, but will again make a sacrifice for you. I'll bring a couple of my favorite TJ's appetizers and we'll nosh out!

5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I've unearthed some frozen French Onion Soup from TJs in my garage freezer.  I keep meaning to try it, but I am a wuss about trying new stuff unless I am in the right frame of mind (which is an exceedingly rare event).

TJ's frozen French onion soup is vegetarian! I put one in an oven-safe mug, then bake it in the oven 'til bubbly. Fall + winter comfort food.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

TJ's frozen French onion soup is vegetarian! I put one in an oven-safe mug, then bake it in the oven 'til bubbly. Fall + winter comfort food.

I'll have to tell my SIL that - she is a vegetarian for a couple of years now and she's mentioned missing French onion soup.

I just popped mine in the microwave which seemed to decimate the cheese on top.  I'll need to invest in an oven proof cup and some additional cheese to top it with.

It was pretty good - didn't meet my expectations of classic French onion soup, but if I dropped that baseline, it is a very enjoyable cup.

11 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I'll need to invest in an oven proof cup and some additional cheese to top it with.

Google "CorningWare 20-oz Oven-Safe Pop-In Mug with Vented Lid".  (I'd put up a link, but I've discovered that when I do that, everybody then get's Target or Amazon ads on their browsers to mugs for the next month.)

These are the official mugs of the Macc children when eating on the couch is the dinner plan. They're diswasher, oven, microwave and freezer safe, and they're also nice and big.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 6

I just wanted to voice my love for TJ's new "Everything Bagel" seasoning.  It makes anything taste exactly like an everything bagel, which if you're like me is a good thing.  I usually sprinkle it on plain cream cheese on a plain bagel if I'm out of everything bagels and it's great even on eggs and baked potatoes.  They also just came out with a new onion salt which is good for the same purposes.  It's verrrry oniony, but in a good way.

TJ's Spicy Chai Tea Latte Mix (I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread).  I love this stuff.  It's almost as good as getting a chai tea latte at Starbucks or elsewhere (you just need to add some whipped cream if you feel decadent).  Never tried it iced (maybe because it's such a comfy cozy drink when warm).

• Love 1
On 8/28/2017 at 1:32 PM, DeLurker said:

Is it this one? If so, I love and they sell it at Costco (single serve inside a giant box) for about $2 more than TJ charges for two servings.

plats+du+chef.jpg

• Love 1

I made my every other month trip to Trader Joe's, intent on looking at new things. Instead I bought my normal 6 bottles of Cotes de Rhone red wine, and 1 bag of butter lettuce. Oh and Honey Butter potato chips. I've never had them and they sound kind of weird so we'll see. 

The aisles at my TJ's are at an angle in association to the store. It does not persuade people to be smart about cart and aisle usage, so I get quickly irritated. Seriously, trying to navigate the produce/meat area is an exercise in massive patience (aka me not getting stabby). 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

I made my every other month trip to Trader Joe's, intent on looking at new things. Instead I bought my normal 6 bottles of Cotes de Rhone red wine, and 1 bag of butter lettuce. Oh and Honey Butter potato chips. I've never had them and they sound kind of weird so we'll see. 

The aisles at my TJ's are at an angle in association to the store. It does not persuade people to be smart about cart and aisle usage, so I get quickly irritated. Seriously, trying to navigate the produce/meat area is an exercise in massive patience (aka me not getting stabby). 

You lucky folks who can buy beer and wine at a chain grocery store - can't do it in Maryland. Damn liquor laws.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

In California TJs also cares hard alcohol.

My experience in CA is that all the grocery stores carry beer, wine, and liquor.

I think the grocery stores in MD don't want to be bothered with carding everyone and the regs with selling alcohol. There is a family owned grocery store that sells all forms of alcohol near our marina. They card everyone - I'm 66 and they card me. There was a liquor store near our marina that lost their license for a year after a second violation selling to minors - not much profit in selling chips and mixers. They now card everyone. We have a Total Wine I go to for stocking up - they card everyone. Just guessing why grocery stores in MD aren't lobbying to sell even beer and wine. Not worth the hassle.

Just now, chessiegal said:

My experience in CA is that all the grocery stores carry beer, wine, and liquor.

They do but since this is the TJ thread I was just highlighting it.

They have a cheap Russian that's great for experimenting with infusions because of its awful it was so cheap it doesn't matter. 

Mr. pig and I went to TJ's today (Labor Day) thinking normal people would be out barbecuing and frolicking in parks, and we'd pretty much have the store to ourselves.  Man, we we wrong.

It was like a freaking demolition derby.  We got run into, bumped into, took evasive maneuvers and got body-slammed from the side.  

Had we been able to get away with it, we'd have cracked a bottle of Pinot Noir and guzzled it just to strongarm our way out of the store.

The staff was still nice and friendly, though..

• Love 3
On 9/3/2017 at 9:54 PM, chessiegal said:

You lucky folks who can buy beer and wine at a chain grocery store - can't do it in Maryland. Damn liquor laws.

Here in CT we can only buy beer at grocery stores.  But we have lobster!

3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

It was like a freaking demolition derby.  We got run into, bumped into, took evasive maneuvers and got body-slammed from the side. 

BWAAHH!!!!  I call my TJ's a demolition derby too!  Especially the parking lot!  We also went there today and it was so bad Mr. 'Puss didn't even park the car.  He just waited for me out front while I ran in for more of that spatchcocked lemon-rosemary chicken that I'm addicted to.  I cut it up and threw it on the grill.  I was inspired by the first episode of "Bobby and Damaris" on the FN.  It looks like Bobby is trying to capitalize on Damaris' winning personality to make up for his own lack thereof.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

BWAAHH!!!!  I call my TJ's a demolition derby too!  Especially the parking lot!  We also went there today and it was so bad Mr. 'Puss didn't even park the car.  He just waited for me out front while I ran in for more of that spatchcocked lemon-rosemary chicken that I'm addicted to.  I cut it up and threw it on the grill.  I was inspired by the first episode of "Bobby and Damaris" on the FN.  It looks like Bobby is trying to capitalize on Damaris' winning personality to make up for his own lack thereof.

What is it about this chain that they put their outlets in the most ridiculously unnavigateable  strip shopping centers on the face of the earth?  Mr. pig and I sneak around the back of the buildings and exit via the pizza place, while everybody else is gridlocked at the exit with the seriously uncoordinated traffic light.  Still, it's better than our previous option, where we had to park across the street at a Benihana.  (I always returned our cart to the TJ corral, though.)  :-)

• Love 5
On 9/3/2017 at 10:38 PM, chessiegal said:

I think the grocery stores in MD don't want to be bothered with carding everyone and the regs with selling alcohol. There is a family owned grocery store that sells all forms of alcohol near our marina. They card everyone - I'm 66 and they card me. There was a liquor store near our marina that lost their license for a year after a second violation selling to minors - not much profit in selling chips and mixers. They now card everyone. We have a Total Wine I go to for stocking up - they card everyone. Just guessing why grocery stores in MD aren't lobbying to sell even beer and wine. Not worth the hassle.

It's not the stores - they'd love to sell alcohol.  It's the government.  They want their cut.  That's the whole story.

2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Well, seeing as Irma is looking like she wants to "a thing", I'm glad I got my hurricane wine!!

The most important thing!!  Be safe!

• Love 2

Every state has different laws about which type of alcohol beverage can or can't be sold in a grocery store like TJ's.  It runs the gamut.  In some states only beer can be sold in grocery stores, while in others only beer and wine, and in still others everything can be sold there including beer, wine and hard liquor.  In yet other states any kind of alcohol must be sold in separate state run facilities.  I think the laws are ridiculous and left over from Prohibition.  When Prohibition ended the states were left up to themselves to decide whether and how to regulate the sale of alcohol.  In some areas of the country there are few regulations.  In the Northeast the strict fussiness about when and where liquor is sold goes as far back as the Puritans.  In my state the prohibition against selling it on Sunday was only loosened up a few years ago, but it's still OK only within certain hours of the day.  IMO, very ridiculous.

• Love 2
On 9/3/2017 at 9:54 PM, chessiegal said:

How odd cause we can buy beer & wine in all the supermarkets next door to you in VA.  Only Wegman's demands everyone's ID in my area.  The others (Harris Teeter, Safeway and Giant + TJ's) don't bother folks who "look like" they're well over 21.

Hey everyone in the path of Irma (& Jose & Katia):  stay safe!!!

Edited by annzeepark914
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

How odd cause we can buy beer & wine in all the supermarkets next door to you in VA.  Only Wegman's demands everyone's ID in my area.  The others (Harris Teeter, Safeway and Giant + TJ's) don't bother folks who "look like" they're well over 21.

Hey everyone in the path of Irma (& Jose & Katia):  stay safe!!!

I worked in Dulles for the last 3 years before I retired, and used to buy wine went I went to the grocery store salad bars for lunch. I was reading an article in the Annapolis paper about not being able to buy beer in the grocery stores, and they brought up the Prohibition era effect. Evidently the stand alone liquor stores lobby heavily for grocery stores NOT selling beer and wine in MD. One legislator said, oh, there are plenty of liquor stores, so it's not a burden. Well, I'd rather do my shopping in 1 store, not 2. Idiot.

On 9/8/2017 at 2:38 AM, Snarklepuss said:

Every state has different laws about which type of alcohol beverage can or can't be sold in a grocery store like TJ's.  It runs the gamut.  In some states only beer can be sold in grocery stores, while in others only beer and wine, and in still others everything can be sold there including beer, wine and hard liquor.  In yet other states any kind of alcohol must be sold in separate state run facilities.  I think the laws are ridiculous and left over from Prohibition.  When Prohibition ended the states were left up to themselves to decide whether and how to regulate the sale of alcohol.  In some areas of the country there are few regulations.  In the Northeast the strict fussiness about when and where liquor is sold goes as far back as the Puritans.  In my state the prohibition against selling it on Sunday was only loosened up a few years ago, but it's still OK only within certain hours of the day.  IMO, very ridiculous.

On 9/8/2017 at 4:44 PM, chessiegal said:

I was reading an article in the Annapolis paper about not being able to buy beer in the grocery stores, and they brought up the Prohibition era effect. Evidently the stand alone liquor stores lobby heavily for grocery stores NOT selling beer and wine in MD. One legislator said, oh, there are plenty of liquor stores, so it's not a burden. Well, I'd rather do my shopping in 1 store, not 2. Idiot.

This discussion begins and ends with Pennsylvania. A state whose liquor laws are notoriously retrograde. The stated purpose of creating the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board was to "discourage the purchase of alcoholic beverages by making it as inconvenient and expensive as possible." You couldn't buy wine in a grocery store until last year. They allowed beer sales a couple of years ago. Prior to that, wine and hard liquor could only be purchased in a state liquor store operated by the state of Pennsylvania. They added weekend hours about 15 years ago. When I was a kid the hours were M-F 9am -6pm. It was so inconvenient, that my oldest brother ran an illegal delivery service in middle school in our suburb. Adults who were known to the store employees would call in orders. My brother and his best friend would stop by the store to see if they any orders. My brother would bike back to the house to pick up his wagon hitch, while his friend biked to the homes and offices to pick the cash and checks. My brother would load up his wagon and make the deliveries and his friend returned to the store with the money.

If you wanted beer in Pennsylvania, you had to go to a beer distributor, but they only sold kegs and cases. If you wanted a 6 pack, you had to go to a restaurant.

Back to Trader Joe's. I've generally liked the recipes of their's that I've tried, but I saw this

https://www.traderjoes.com/Recipes/recipe/376

Which I thought was beyond.

I'm one of those weirdos that adored the shrimp nuggets, but I've heard that they've been discontinued. They were greasy as all get out, but they reminded me of the taste of a good shrimp toast better than TJ's actual shrimp toast.

• Love 2

One of the rare labeled products I've seen sold at TJ's are Ricola cough drops.  After recently purchasing some at the grocery store, I was very pleased to see them for a lot less at my local TJs ($2.29 vs $1.69). 

The Quadruple Almond Cookies are very very good.  Not too sweet, nice almond flavor and crisp.  A good tea cookie.

• Love 2

I bought a pckg of the frozen meatballs and tried them tonight.  Sauted them in e.v.o.o. and garlic and seasonings.  Then put them in a wonderful sauce.  Blech!  Guess I'll have to either buy expensive frozen meatballs at an Italian deli or make them myself and freeze for future use.  Other stuff I bought is good, though, like the spicy chai tea powder in a can that you mix with boiled water--that stuff is almost as good as Starbucks chai tea.  I now like to squirt some Reddi Whip onto my chai tea.  Their crumpets, toasted, are very good with butter and jelly.  And the plain pork tenderloins are very tender!  The Meyer lemon thin cookies are good--next time I'm going to try the coconut. But, wow!  It was mega busy on a Friday afternoon.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I bought a pckg of the frozen meatballs and tried them tonight.  Sauted them in e.v.o.o. and garlic and seasonings.  Then put them in a wonderful sauce.  Blech! 

Let the store know that they were not good.  Trader Joe's seems to be the only store that really pays attention to customer feedback on their products.  The stores do not have a very big footprint so they don't want substandard products eating up precious real estate on the shelves/freezers.

• Love 3

We grabbed some apple cranberry tarts we saw in the bakery section yesterday, and had them for dessert last night, with a little vanilla ice cream - YUM.  Not too sweet, perfect seasonal dessert.

53 minutes ago, Quof said:

Agreed. Trader Joe's will take back any product, no questions asked, for a full refund.   Even if you only have one meatball left in the bag.

Now there is a way to trim your food budget.  

• Love 3

I have a wilting "Healthy 8" package in my fridge. I bought it for a house guest who didn't eat much of it. I am not big on raw veggies or salad. What else can I do with it assuming I don't adopt a rabbit in the very near future?

12 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I have a wilting "Healthy 8" package in my fridge. I bought it for a house guest who didn't eat much of it. I am not big on raw veggies or salad. What else can I do with it assuming I don't adopt a rabbit in the very near future?

Put it in soup?

(edited)

Or give to a neighbor who has chickens? My neighbor has put out the word to please not throw any produce away. She can usually give it to the girls.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2
On 10/9/2017 at 10:44 AM, Spunkygal said:

Or give to a neighbor who has chickens? My neighbor has put out the word to please not throw any produce away. She can usually give it to the girls.

I love that you have neighbors that have chickens.

I had some TJ frozen salmon with a sauce on it I decided to make for dinner. It was awful! If it hadn't said salmon on the label I would never had identified it was salmon. Maybe it's because we have fresh grilled salmon once a week. but it was really bad.

• Love 2