Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Shade Grenade

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, sunsheyen said:

It makes no sense why a man, a BLACK man, in this day and age would agree to a DV/abuser portrayal. This is especially true for someone so intent on building a brand (as evidenced by his IG).

Yeah, Kenya does some fake shit, and there may be some truth to portions of what he says, but who would damage themselves and their own reputation intentionally? Does he want the public to think he is that stupid and short sighted but still buy what he is selling as the Matt Jordan Brand? It's not like he has a prior career or good rep to bounce back on. Let's be real, the majority of viewers don't engage in social media following or message board chats. All they see is this man breaking windows and raging followed by Kenya commentary on Bravo clips. There are plenty of "dating" storylines...him moving in, them "thinking about" having a baby, getting pets together, going on vacations, hell, even fake wedding talk and you chose "violence" for posterity?

So which is it, Matt? Are you an abuser or just stupid enough to agree to act like one on tv?

I vote, Stupid.

• Love 5

If this "Matt is a violent abuser" craziness is a storyline, then I don't know if I feel comfortable calling Matt stupid because agreeing to this goes beyond stupid. Matt needs a guardian if this is true. He needs a court to rule that is incapable of making decisions for himself and someone else needs to be designated to make them for him.

This is terrible, but I might actually want people to think that I have anger problems because you can go to therapy for that. No one can fix the tremendous amount of stupid that agreed to this abuser storyline foolishness. There are toddlers who could have told Matt that this was a terrible idea. Does he need a sitdown with Ayden and Dylan?

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

If this "Matt is a violent abuser" craziness is a storyline, then I don't know if I feel comfortable calling Matt stupid because agreeing to this goes beyond stupid. Matt needs a guardian if this is true. He needs a court to rule that is incapable of making decisions for himself and someone else needs to be designated to make them for him.

This is terrible, but I might actually want people to think that I have anger problems because you can go to therapy for that. No one can fix the tremendous amount of stupid that agreed to this abuser storyline foolishness. There are toddlers who could have told Matt that this was a terrible idea. Does he need a sitdown with Ayden and Dylan?

I don't know that he agreed to the "abuser" storyline, I really doubt that he did, I think he agreed to play the insecure BF role and Kenya turned that into an "abuser" role all for the cameras by manipulating him. In other words, Kenya promised 1 thing but then took a hard left and went with a different storyline....abuse, instead. She just loves playing the victim, more than anything else, she couldn't help herself but to fall back into making herself the victim once again.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

I used to wonder something similar about Kenya though. Why would a gorgeous black beauty queen/model/actress purposely ruin her reputation and legacy for a reality show? No she hasn't shown herself to be a domestic abuser but she has portrayed herself as violent, petty, fake, mean, shady, and crazy. 

I don't get why people do this stuff either but there must be some kind of draw. 

As it relates to Matt, I dont know what's real and ehat isnt but he doesn't seem too bright and I can believe he's the type who thinks it's not really abuse if you don't hit the person. And I can see him "turning up" for the camera thinking he's on his way to acting fame.

I wonder that about Kenya as well.  She was Miss USA in the 90's.  She could have gone to grad school, or she could have gone into broadcasting as so many former beauty queens have done (Diane Sawyer for example).  It looks like she went for the "hot girl" parts on 90's TV shows and videos; now those parts have all but dried up.

I think Kenya's on this show for the same reasons others do it, the money.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, WireWrap said:

I don't know that he agreed to the "abuser" storyline, I really doubt that he did, I think he agreed to play the insecure BF role and Kenya turned that into an "abuser" role all for the cameras by manipulating him. In other words, Kenya promised 1 thing but then took a hard left and went with a different storyline....abuse, instead. She just loves playing the victim, more than anything else, she couldn't help herself but to fall back into making herself the victim once again.

But hasn't he been seen on camera banging walls or doors or something? My memory is literally the worst, but I swear there's something like that out there. So either he really does tend towards the aggressive, or he agreed to pretend he was like that. If it's the latter, he's got real issues. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

He, like Porsha, needed to stop engaging with Kenya when she started being manipulative. All of these stories about punching walls and what not are not good for his reputation.

Walter just walked away when Kenya started pulling her manipulative shit. He still engaged with the rest of the cast. His refutation of her allegations stood in stark contrast to her manic stories about him being gay. That was enough to convince me that Kenya is a manipulative liar.

Matt should have done the same, but him being violent (even if it's not against her) makes me wonder if there is fire following that smoke.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

He, like Porsha, needed to stop engaging with Kenya when she started being manipulative. All of these stories about punching walls and what not are not good for his reputation.

Walter just walked away when Kenya started pulling her manipulative shit. He still engaged with the rest of the cast. His refutation of her allegations stood in stark contrast to her manic stories about him being gay. That was enough to convince me that Kenya is a manipulative liar.

Matt should have done the same, but him being violent (even if it's not against her) makes me wonder if there is fire following that smoke.

I can believe he's an aggressive person. But that's the thing with Kenya though. Her history is such that I'm 50/50 and don't really know for sure. Hell she bragged in last year's tagline that nobody can figure her out. Well, I want to know how well that works for her if, God forbid, she ever truly is a victim.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

But hasn't he been seen on camera banging walls or doors or something? My memory is literally the worst, but I swear there's something like that out there. So either he really does tend towards the aggressive, or he agreed to pretend he was like that. If it's the latter, he's got real issues. 

Yes, previews show him kicking/breaking a couple of glass panels on her garage doors. There was never anything that showed him throwing anything at Kenya though so I do believe she asked him to "act" a part and he agreed to. I also believe that she is lying about him ever being aggressive towards her outside of what she asked him to do for the show.

3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Yes, Walter did walk away from her, which is why Kenya tends to use/go after immature people like Porsha and Matt (Apollo), she can manipulate them much easier and more successfully than someone like Walter or Kim. I don't know if Matt has issues with violence or not but I do know from watching/seeing Kenya that she has no problems baiting others for a reaction or lying about them, once again, in an attempt to get a big reaction from them (calling Chris "gay"). We have seen Matt walk away from conflict (last season) and he normally defers to Kenya's wants/needs/demands so I am not sure he has violent undertones. We just don't know enough about him and Kenya has painted him as an aggressive man so it will be hard to separate the truth from Kenya's lies at this stage.

Edited by WireWrap
  • Love 14
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 7:45 AM, queenjen said:

It will be a minor miracle if Sheree's house is not seized, before it gets finished. By the time that happens, she'll be on her own, or maybe just with her youngest daughter, so what is the point of a nasty turreted eyesore this large?

I don't understand why Sheree, as a single woman with grown children, would want a house that large either.  If it was me, I would have my WHOLE family living there with me, and I'm talking about kids, grandkids, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, you name it.  There is no way I would be living in that grand hotel by myself.  And if it isn't in a gated community (which I don't think Chateau Sheree is), it's too prone to attract thieves; and I mean the murdering kind if you happen to be home when they break in.  And I could seriously picture myself sleepily taking a tumble down that staircase onto that hard assed floor or worse, flipping over that balcony.  No maam!  It's too much.  Give me a nice condo or townhouse any day.

• Love 17
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 8:28 AM, ghoulina said:

That bomb/grenade business is scary as hell. Not going to lie, my first thought was Apollo. But I guess lawyers must get a lot of hate on a regular basis.

As it turns out, I read that the guy was actually a friend and former client of Phaedra's who stopped at her office to give her his brand new "bomb cd" that was going to be "blowing up" the charts.  Can you believe that shit?!  LOL!

ETA - I bet that guy, Drama, was expecting to show up during Bravo filming and have his CD publicized on camera.  Too bad he didn't know Phaedra was away visiting Apollo at the time.  Also, lucky for him they didn't call a SWAT team, bomb squad and the whole nine yards.  Those guys usually shoot first and ask questions later.

Edited by swankie
Removed spoiler since others already referenced content.
  • Love 5
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 11:08 AM, sunsheyen said:

Joyce didn't even look like she knew how to HOLD a baby when struggling with Ace. Even my 16 yo commented on that.

I remember Kandi saying in an episode when she first got pregnant with Ace that Joyce gave her little to no help with Riley when she was a baby.  I tell you what, Joyce sure did have everyone fooled in the beginning when she came across as a really nice, caring mother.  Once Kandi got together with Todd and she realized that Kandi's money might be compromised, her true colors came through with a vengeance.  She's just a greedy, selfish, nasty old lady...PERIOD!

Phaedra is deliberately not doing anything to make money because Apollo will go after it during the divorce.

Not true.  She's being filmed for this show and getting paid handsomely for it.

Edited by swankie
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, swankie said:

Not true.  She's being filmed for this show and getting paid handsomely for it.

True, she has a lifestyle to maintain, and the Bravo cheque would cover that and keep her in the media for this political future she sees for herself, as well as providing a platform for the same thing. Politics eats up cash also, and you can throw as much as you want and keep throwing. What I'm saying is, I don't believe she is actively working on any of her other accredited and graduated for income streams and I believe that is so there is very little for Apollo to snatch. I doubt she is building a snatch worthy nest egg at this moment. I bet she is spending like a mofo too. She IS a lawyer, practicing or not, surely she'd have some clue about how to protect her assets and how best to neutralize any threat Apollo represents. 

• Love 5
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:46 PM, WireWrap said:

I believe the guy was arrested at the scene. http://www.tmz.com/2016/07/28/phaedra-parks-atlatnta-office-bomb/

Then Phaedra defended the guy to the press saying it, the bomb threat, was just a "misunderstanding" and the Police racially profiled him when they arrested him! http://www.realitytea.com/2016/08/04/phaedra-parks-bomb-threat-update-phaedra-says-ex-client-made-bomb-threat-victim-racial-profiling/

Well, isn't that convenient?

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:30 AM, queenjen said:

Hmmm. I don't know. My thoughts on this, after looking into it are as follows. This happened back in August, btw. The dude with the bomb threat was actually reported by Phaedra on TMZ or one of those websites as saying 'I have a bomb CD to give to Phaedra, it's about to blow up'. Security gets called, the police get called and Phaedra wants us to go on believing that it was all a miscommunication, that this guy, a rapper named 'Drama' who has done a lot of time in jail, was being profiled. She inferred that all he was saying was that he had this incredible CD that was about to take the world by storm, but his REPEATED choice of words led security and the police to believe he had a bomb, and in fact, MORE 'bomb' CDs in his car out on the street. There was no bomb. There was no grenade. The dude is the ex of a woman who Phaedra has been in court with and who wrote an expose of Phaedra. It's all too weird. The timing also, with Phaedra on her way without the kids to visit Apollo in prison. Her not filing for divorce, while leading us to believe she has. Phaedra is apparently not doing any legal work at all either. This is what I think might be going on:

1. Phaedra is deliberately not doing anything to make money because Apollo will go after it during the divorce. It seems believable that Phaedra may know a lot more about or be a lot more involved in Apollo's criminal activities than we know. That's possible. She may not have wanted to provoke him by filing for a divorce. Now he has a paper ring prison fiancee though, HE'S filing. So let the games begin. He's got to have a lot on her, but who knows what checks and balances she has put in place to ensure he doesn't speak. I still think she's doing the minimum to create revenue so she doesn't have to split any. I think she's been doing this for some time.

2. Suddenly Phaedra is all about the political. I know she's gone to events before etc, but she's also been raising 2 kids, becoming a mortician and a funeral director and practicing law. Now she's really stepping into the political arena. Could this 'bomb scare', where she's turned around and made excuses for the threat, which came from a guy she already knows, could that have been another platform for Phaedra to include in her new political campaigning? All this episode we've had both Phaedra and Sheree also on the subject of black men being profiled and harassed and murdered by police. It's too coinky dinky for me. And I'm NOT buying shady Phaedra as the next spokesperson, not that I have any say. But this is what the next episode is going to be about also. Porsha has the pedigree, but unfortunately doesn't seem to have ever bothered or been respectful enough to educate herself about her own family history and what her foundation stands for. (her family's foundation, I mean). Politics keeps Phaedra occupied, 'relevant' but not making a lot of money. Apollo is suddenly an asset to her instead of the massive liability the scrub actually is. 

Just my thoughts after much hunting and reading on this subject. One thing. It's all phoney as phuck. And I don't appreciate seeing Phaedra on my screen anymore.

I am wondering what Phaedra's angle is with regards to all her dubious political activities lately.

17 hours ago, WireWrap said:

I am guessing this is similar to what happened with Walter on her first season. They were going to pretend to be a couple but she went off-script and he decided the money or fame wasn't worth it.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, swankie said:

As it turns out, I read that the guy was actually a friend and former client of Phaedra's who stopped at her office to give her his brand new "bomb cd" that was going to be "blowing up" the charts.  Can you believe that shit?!  LOL!

LOL, reminds me of Ben Still saying "bomb" on the plane in Meet the Parents. You really have to choose your words carefully these days. I'm glad that's all it was, though. An unfortunate misunderstanding is preferable to all the violence we have in the world these days. 

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:30 AM, ridethemaverick said:

I used to wonder something similar about Kenya though. Why would a gorgeous black beauty queen/model/actress purposely ruin her reputation and legacy for a reality show? No she hasn't shown herself to be a domestic abuser but she has portrayed herself as violent, petty, fake, mean, shady, and crazy. 

I don't get why people do this stuff either but there must be some kind of draw. 

A reputation won't pay the bills. lol Those acting gigs weren't consistent enough to hold her over for the rest of her life.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, balisticnikki said:

A reputation won't pay the bills. lol Those acting gigs weren't consistent enough to hold her over for the rest of her life.

ITA, she did it for the $$$ pure and simple.  In those acting gigs, Kenya mostly played the "hot girl."  I don't think she ever had a starring role on any TV series. 

• Love 5
On 12/6/2016 at 11:03 AM, qtpye said:

Good lord, Matt might not be smooth, but everything he is saying sort of confirmed what we all expected...Kenya is fake as hell and this domestic abuse story line is for the show.

I love the way he called her out.  I do wonder what happened to her career.  It seems like she guest starred in a lot of sitcoms and was a video girl for some of the higher end rappers.  I wonder why she has to resort to a reality show?  Also, I think we never got the real Kenya.  Kim Fields, was a much more successful actress never seemed to be acting on the show.  Kenya is always "on" and has taken the part of "shit stirrer" on this franchise.

Her career never took off because the Kenya you see on RHOA is the same person she is IRL. I dealt with her over 20 years ago when Trois was making a splash on the festival circuit. She could be a nice, cool, down to earth chick one minute, then flip straight into diva mode the next. Not being recognized as Ms. USA was a huge trigger for her even then. I remember watching her berate a poor college student working the door at a screening of the film because the child 1) didn't have a reserved seat for her and 2) had no idea who she was. In my head I was like "this girl has been working 18 hour days all week and hasn't seen one of these movies and 2) she was like 7 when you were crowned - give her a break". But she thought nothing of taking someone's head off for a perceived slight. That kind of behavior doesn't go over well - and people remember. I contrast that with some of the other actors and actresses that I dealt with at the time (Nia Long, Anthony Andrews, Regina King, Mekhi Phifer, Larenz Tate, Andre Royo, Elise Neal, etc.) who were super professional with the staff and always very easygoing. Her attitude was shitty then in comparison to others that were similarly situated, and it doesn't appear to have gotten any better. 

• Love 23
16 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

Her career never took off because the Kenya you see on RHOA is the same person she is IRL. I dealt with her over 20 years ago when Trois was making a splash on the festival circuit. She could be a nice, cool, down to earth chick one minute, then flip straight into diva mode the next. Not being recognized as Ms. USA was a huge trigger for her even then. I remember watching her berate a poor college student working the door at a screening of the film because the child 1) didn't have a reserved seat for her and 2) had no idea who she was. In my head I was like "this girl has been working 18 hour days all week and hasn't seen one of these movies and 2) she was like 7 when you were crowned - give her a break". But she thought nothing of taking someone's head off for a perceived slight. That kind of behavior doesn't go over well - and people remember. I contrast that with some of the other actors and actresses that I dealt with at the time (Nia Long, Anthony Andrews, Regina King, Mekhi Phifer, Larenz Tate, Andre Royo, Elise Neal, etc.) who were super professional with the staff and always very easygoing. Her attitude was shitty then in comparison to others that were similarly situated, and it doesn't appear to have gotten any better. 

That does not surprise me.  One thing I've heard about Hollywood is that a large part of getting jobs is reputation and do people like working with you.  If Kenya could turn on a dime like that, I'm sure people probably shook their heads and felt that she wasn't worth the trouble. 

• Love 7

Heck, Janet Hubert (Aunt Viv original recipe) is a much more talented actress then Kenya (she played Kenya's aunt in her self produced pilot "Life Twirls On") and she can't get work, because she is very hard to work with...and this is why she was on Kenya's pilot.

I was surprised to see Leon on "Life Twirls On"...I have only heard good things about him, but a paycheck is a paycheck.

Actually, Janet Hubert and Kenya got into a fight about payment for the pilot.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Heck, Janet Hubert (Aunt Viv original recipe) is a much more talented actress then Kenya (she played Kenya's aunt in her self produced pilot "Life Twirls On") and she can't get work, because she is very hard to work with...and this is why she was on Kenya's pilot.

I was surprised to see Leon on "Life Twirls On"...I have only heard good things about him, but a paycheck is a paycheck.

Actually, Janet Hubert and Kenya got into a fight about payment for the pilot.

Janet Hubert may also have a bit of tarnish on her from a Will Smith blacklisting...not to say Kenya's easy to work with, I remember the Worst Celebrity Cooks debacle, but at least Kenya doesn't have an A-lister against her. 

I don't remember Leon being in the pilot...but then again, I don't remember him being in much lately...too lazy to IMDB his recent work.

I can believe Kenya can act above herself, especially when it comes to these younger people who her title doesn't mean much to.

• Love 1
On Tuesday, December 06, 2016 at 9:59 PM, swankie said:

I don't understand why Sheree, as a single woman with grown children, would want a house that large either.  If it was me, I would have my WHOLE family living there with me, and I'm talking about kids, grandkids, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, you name it.  There is no way I would be living in that grand hotel by myself.  And if it isn't in a gated community (which I don't think Chateau Sheree is), it's too prone to attract thieves; and I mean the murdering kind if you happen to be home when they break in.  And I could seriously picture myself sleepily taking a tumble down that staircase onto that hard assed floor or worse, flipping over that balcony.  No maam!  It's too much.  Give me a nice condo or townhouse any day.

I feel like no one tops Sheree in foolish spending. She blew through her settlement and salary buying cars, clothing, gigantic paintings, trying to start a fashion line, paying for acting lessons, renting purses, and building houses. Bob did owe child support. While Kairo was sleeping on an air mattress in the town house, Sheree shows up to court in a Dolce and Gabanna suit, rocking a rented Birkin, and driving an Astin Martin.

The other issue with Sheree is that she always pursued opportunities that never played to her strengths: her health and fitness. So she ended up wasting a lot of time and money on projects that would ultimately go nowhere.

Finally, Sheree has also always wanted to viewed as glamorous. She couldn't imagine anything glamorous about a gym or health and fitness business. Unfortunately, she didn't have the imagination or experience to know what a glamorous gym, trainer, or health and wellness business might look or operate like.

• Love 8
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 6:35 AM, queenjen said:

True, she has a lifestyle to maintain, and the Bravo cheque would cover that and keep her in the media for this political future she sees for herself, as well as providing a platform for the same thing. Politics eats up cash also, and you can throw as much as you want and keep throwing. What I'm saying is, I don't believe she is actively working on any of her other accredited and graduated for income streams and I believe that is so there is very little for Apollo to snatch. I doubt she is building a snatch worthy nest egg at this moment. I bet she is spending like a mofo too. She IS a lawyer, practicing or not, surely she'd have some clue about how to protect her assets and how best to neutralize any threat Apollo represents. 

I bet Phaedra has one of the most ironclad prenups ever devised by an attorney.  There is no way Apollo was ever going to get any of her assets that she owned before they married and probably won't get any that was earned after they were married.  I think that is why the feds haven't gone after Phaedra to pay back the money Apollo is serving time for stealing.  I bet her prenup is set up as if they were never married at all.  LOL!

I think Leon was probably doing the pilot as a favor for Cynthia.  Cynthia was Kenya's best (only) friend at the time the pilot was filmed.  Kenya probably thought Leon would be quite a draw since he is a real actor with credits.  Lol!

Edited by swankie
  • Love 8
On December 6, 2016 at 10:59 PM, swankie said:

ITA with all of this, and I feel the same way about Cynthia and Kenya wanting these HUGE homes,  FAR away from any neighbors and they're living there by themselves.  I couldn't understand why Cynthia was looking at that huge home in the middle of nowhere, and her daughter might be going to college in California.  

I think sometimes people want to have huge homes to show off how much money they have.  To me it just shows how silly they are.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

ITA with all of this, and I feel the same way about Cynthia and Kenya wanting these HUGE homes,  FAR away from any neighbors and they're living there by themselves.  I couldn't understand why Cynthia was looking at that huge home in the middle of nowhere, and her daughter might be going to college in California.  

I think sometimes people want to have huge homes to show off how much money they have.  To me it just shows how silly they are.

Kenya's home actually isn't away from people, she's in the neighborhood with Sheree, walking distance IIRC from last season. Have we been told how big her house is? I understand real estate in ATL is highly undervalued in comparison with other areas, especially if she sold a home in LA, might be a mortgage equivalent with the rents she was paying. Either way, she's still near the bus line that Sheree's house sits on. Who knows about flip value.

Cynthia on the other hand is a huge question mark. A city girl model who is about to be an empty nester buying a home waaaaay on the outskirts that is far too large for her family unit. I really wonder what is going on there. She normally seems very prudent. I loved her city home. That was an extremely odd purchase.

• Love 2
On 12/4/2016 at 8:16 PM, chick binewski said:

Is lead actress in a music video a thing? Did Bobby Zarin get a job as Phaedra's driver?

If I had to go to the DNC with Porsha (civil rights are in her blood!) I'd need a whole bucket of Flock-o afterwards.

I swear to God, I thought I heard her say, "Silver rights are in my blood"

• Love 5
On 12/7/2016 at 2:30 AM, ridethemaverick said:

As it relates to Matt, I dont know what's real and ehat isnt but he doesn't seem too bright and I can believe he's the type who thinks it's not really abuse if you don't hit the person. And I can see him "turning up" for the camera thinking he's on his way to acting fame.

Swap 'Matt' for 'Kenya' and it's the same truth.

• Love 2