Type keyword(s) to search

Women's Health Issues

• Start Topic

I'm looking for advice and other women's experiences with menopause and perimenopause and thought other women might also want some advice. I don't intend to say that men cannot read and post in this thread, but I didn't want to take over another thread with talk about menopause and menstruation and ovaries and other things that men often don't seem to want to read about. I figured this way, the men can ignore it if they want or join in the conversation if they want.

I think I am entering (or in) perimenopause. In the past year or so, I've skipped a couple of periods, had one or two come a couple of weeks early and had some pretty heavy ones, too. I haven't had a period since September. To be on the safe side, I did take a pregnancy test, and I'm not pregnant. I feel like I'm having the start of menstrual cramps, but there's no bleeding. Is this normal? I tried googling it, but found lots of conflicting information and not much that related to that feeling. Mostly what's out there is about PMS and hot flashes. (I'm not having hot flashes, but my mother didn't, so there's a possibility I won't.)

17 hours ago, auntlada said:

I think I am entering (or in) perimenopause. In the past year or so, I've skipped a couple of periods, had one or two come a couple of weeks early and had some pretty heavy ones, too. I haven't had a period since September.

That's pretty much where things started for me.  Previously, I never had much in the way of PMS or cramps - something would make me cry the day my period started and that was it.  When the perimenopause started, I started skipping periods - sometimes as long as 4 - 5 months.  When it got my attention was when I got mega-severe cramps* and half-day crying jags.  Because I was dealing with a lot of personal shit regarding the ex, I really couldn't be that big of a mess in front of my kids.  I talked to my doctor (who knows all about the personal shit) and he recommended hormone replacement therapy to keep me functional.  At first I took it everyday, but after a year I started to go every other day, then every three days, etc...  I started getting the hot flashes too, but mine were bothersome at their worst so not a big deal for me.  But these slacked off with the HRT too.

The prescription for the HRT is pricey for me, even with insurance.  But given my situation and the severity/frequency of the perimenopause stikes, it is worth it.

* I never had bad ones so did not know how bad they could get.  Brutal and I retroactively felt sympathy for all my friends who had them at this level all along.

• Love 1
On 11/4/2016 at 5:55 PM, auntlada said:

I'm looking for advice and other women's experiences with menopause and perimenopause and thought other women might also want some advice. I don't intend to say that men cannot read and post in this thread, but I didn't want to take over another thread with talk about menopause and menstruation and ovaries and other things that men often don't seem to want to read about. I figured this way, the men can ignore it if they want or join in the conversation if they want.

I think I am entering (or in) perimenopause. In the past year or so, I've skipped a couple of periods, had one or two come a couple of weeks early and had some pretty heavy ones, too. I haven't had a period since September. To be on the safe side, I did take a pregnancy test, and I'm not pregnant. I feel like I'm having the start of menstrual cramps, but there's no bleeding. Is this normal? I tried googling it, but found lots of conflicting information and not much that related to that feeling. Mostly what's out there is about PMS and hot flashes. (I'm not having hot flashes, but my mother didn't, so there's a possibility I won't.)

I'm not here yet but my godmother had the hot flashes and the PMS but she started seeing an acupuncturist and it has really helped her out.  If you have issues go see your obgyn and get your hormones checked.  I have heard that menopause is very different for every woman so it could be anything but if you are worried get checked out with your doctor first. 

• Love 1

I just remembered this thread was in here.  I'm going to see my doctor today because I feel like I'm losing my mind!  I'm 47 and every woman in my family started menopause early, so it's the right age for me.  My period hasn't changed except missing the occasional ones, but I'm getting hot flashes and night sweats (although, I haven't been "soaked" with sweat yet--it's more like a light glaze, thank God).  I'm hot one minute, cold the next.  But, my skin feels like it's crawling and the mood swings have started.  I'm exhausted and have been so forgetful at times that it's scared me.  I'm also experiencing joint pain, which I heard could possibly be related to menopause. 

I have an appointment with my physician today to discuss all of this to see what may or may not be related to menopause (and to see if that's actually what it is).  I don't want hormones because my mom had breast cancer and I've heard that hormone therapy can increase your odds of getting it (but, I could be misinformed).  Hopefully, I'll come home more informed today and with some ideas on how to deal with all of this. 

18 hours ago, auntlada said:

Let us know how it goes.

Well, as I expected the joint pain was too specific to be related to menopause.  As for the other symptoms, she asked me to see my ob/gyn, which I will but not until it's time for my regular check up--if I can stand it that long.  She did say, though, that I should probably look for an alternative to hormone therapy since my mother had breast cancer.  She said that soy products have been known to help. 

My grandmother had breast cancer so I didn't want to take any hormone therapy either. I changed to a female doctor and she recommended I take a calcium complete supplement from GNC. Calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. I'm done with it all now. These days there have been reports of too much calcium is not good and a specific kind is better. Like anything else years later there is always a study saying something is not good. GNC might have a different formulation now. I never had the night sweats but did have hot flashes occasionally.

Edited by rcc
  • Love 1
On 11/4/2016 at 5:55 PM, auntlada said:

I feel like I'm having the start of menstrual cramps, but there's no bleeding. Is this normal? I tried googling it, but found lots of conflicting information and not much that related to that feeling. Mostly what's out there is about PMS and hot flashes. (I'm not having hot flashes, but my mother didn't, so there's a possibility I won't.)

One thing about the cramps:  I had them for a few years and they finally decided it was from adhesions (probably from when I had my appendix out when I was a kid!!)  After the same day surgery?  No more cramps.  

Has anyone here been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Its such a PITA.

I've always had irregular periods, but the last few months have really been annoying. It used to be I'd get my period every other month, with a heavy flow the 1st 3 days and light for the other 4 (yeah, I got the full 7 day experience).  Now, my periods are extremely light (barely enough for a panty liner) but they last for up to 2 weeks or more. I never know when its going to end.

And...my PMS has gotten extremely bad. I too am a crying mess for right before my period comes. Was never like that before. And, my hair is starting to really thin out. I spoke to my gyno, who suggested birth control pills,  but the last time I tried a low-hormone BCP, I nearly lost my mind, I was so depressed and out of it. I'm scared to try it again. He hasn't mentioned HRT as an option.

8 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Has anyone here been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Its such a PITA.

I've always had irregular periods, but the last few months have really been annoying. It used to be I'd get my period every other month, with a heavy flow the 1st 3 days and light for the other 4 (yeah, I got the full 7 day experience).  Now, my periods are extremely light (barely enough for a panty liner) but they last for up to 2 weeks or more. I never know when its going to end.

And...my PMS has gotten extremely bad. I too am a crying mess for right before my period comes. Was never like that before. And, my hair is starting to really thin out. I spoke to my gyno, who suggested birth control pills,  but the last time I tried a low-hormone BCP, I nearly lost my mind, I was so depressed and out of it. I'm scared to try it again. He hasn't mentioned HRT as an option.

I was diagnosed with it when I was 24 and it was so bad I had the bothersome ovary removed (might seem abrupt but it was that bad). I was also diagnosed with Female Athlete Triad/anorexia and that ultimately killed the other ovary--I haven't had a period in 7 years thank goodness. Good riddance to that monthly PITA. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

I was diagnosed with it when I was 24 and it was so bad I had the bothersome ovary removed (might seem abrupt but it was that bad). I was also diagnosed with Female Athlete Triad/anorexia and that ultimately killed the other ovary--I haven't had a period in 7 years thank goodness. Good riddance to that monthly PITA. 

I haven't had a period in more than three years and the doctors have no clue what's wrong with me.  However, I looked up Female Athletic Triad and I think that might be what *I* have.  I don't think it ever crossed their minds because I'm not a dancer or athlete - and I didn't lose much weight/look noticeably thinner (and I still don't) before things happened.  I just started working out more often (like daily instead of 3x week).

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I haven't had a period in more than three years and the doctors have no clue what's wrong with me.  However, I looked up Female Athletic Triad and I think that might be what *I* have.  I don't think it ever crossed their minds because I'm not a dancer or athlete - and I didn't lose much weight/look noticeably thinner (and I still don't) before things happened.  I just started working out more often (like daily instead of 3x week).

It didn't cross their minds? One's nutrition and workout regimen should be a standard question in anyone presenting with amenorrhea. Good luck, maybe bring it up with you doc next time you have an appt.

3 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

It didn't cross their minds? One's nutrition and workout regimen should be a standard question in anyone presenting with amenorrhea. Good luck, maybe bring it up with you doc next time you have an appt.

Not like THAT!  They never brought up FAT (as in Female Athletic Triad).  They just told me to eat more.  I was meeting with a dietician and she had the weirdest suggestions for me.  I get that I should eat more fats, but HEALTHY FATS like avocado and olive oil.  Some of the suggestions (as per the Canada Food Guide) included vanilla yogurt.  Errr, lady, there's ADDED (BAD) SUGAR in that stuff.  You can suggest full fat yogurt, but not sweetened stuff unless I'm adding fruit myself. 

Edited by PRgal
to be a little clearer
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Not like THAT!  They never brought up FAT (as in Female Athletic Triad).  They just told me to eat more.  I was meeting with a dietician and she had the weirdest suggestions for me.  I get that I should eat more fats, but HEALTHY FATS like avocado and olive oil.  Some of the suggestions (as per the Canada Food Guide) included vanilla yogurt.  Errr, lady, there's ADDED (BAD) SUGAR in that stuff.  You can suggest full fat yogurt, but not sweetened stuff unless I'm adding fruit myself. 

Dieticians can be all over the place with their suggestions. Do what you feel comfortable with--I also avoid flavored yogurts and only do Fage plain yogurt. I dislike sugar anyways (grew up in a sugar free household) and am not drawn to eating much stuff with sugar or additives. 

I am personally ok with not having a period anymore despite it happening way too early. When docs ask me about it, I explain why and that I do not wish to do anything about it and it ends there.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

the last time I tried a low-hormone BCP, I nearly lost my mind, I was so depressed and out of it. I'm scared to try it again.

BCP messed with me bad too,  so after I had my son and did not plan on having another child soon, my ob/gyn recommended Depo provera (the shot).  I was on that for several years and it worked fine for me with the added benefit of no period.  My niece has POS also and I think they recommended the shot for her too.

The only downside was it wasn't covered by my insurance so I had to pay for it myself.  But given the lack of a period, greatly reduced hormonal swings and effective bc, it was worth it.

Has your doctor talked to you about the possibility of the shot for both the POS and general convenience?

And I am really sorry that you are dealing with POS.  From talking with my niece, I know it is a big PITA and can really invade so many parts of your life.

11 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

Dieticians can be all over the place with their suggestions. Do what you feel comfortable with--I also avoid flavored yogurts and only do Fage plain yogurt. I dislike sugar anyways (grew up in a sugar free household) and am not drawn to eating much stuff with sugar or additives. 

I am personally ok with not having a period anymore despite it happening way too early. When docs ask me about it, I explain why and that I do not wish to do anything about it and it ends there.

Yeah.  And SOME doctors have weird ideas too.  One doctor asked me if I liked ice cream.  Quick weight gain (if that will help at all) doesn't mean consuming processed sugar.  I grew up in a low-sugar household.  Halloween candy was rationed and we only had treats when we had guests.

Has your doctor talked to you about the possibility of the shot for both the POS and general convenience?

No.....I guess because its likely that it won't be covered under my insurance plan. My insurance plan is incredibly shitty. All he's recommended is the BCP.  I am thinking that if I don't marry/have children in the next 4 years, I am just going to try to have a hysterectomy to be done with all. I'll be near 40 at that point and if I do decide to have children one day, perhaps I can adopt.

I've got fibroids and if I wasn't on birth control pills, I don't know how I'd live. PCOS sounds like it can be just as bad, too.

I'm planning to have a partial hysterectomy in the next year or so because I'm 40 now, don't want kids, and I would like to get off the BCPs at some point. I have two friends who had partials at this surgical clinic in DC and they had amazing experiences--two small incisions and both were back home the next day and back at work in a week.

• Love 1

Update on my female athletic triad situation.  Trying to get me to "eat more" to gain weight is stressing me out.  And my parents aren't helping, either.  They keep on reminding me how I didn't have any health issues before I started cooking my own meals because I was eating "their food."  Their food sucks.  I hate eating rice every day (we're Chinese) nor do I like eating too much (land) meat.  I'd be a lacto-ovo-pescatarian if I could, but my husband likes the land creature stuff and I'm not into making two different mains.  I also like experimenting with my grains (while quinoa is a staple, we also cook freekeh, bulgur and buckwheat) and grain subs (e.g. cauliflower "rice").  My boomer aged parents - especially my dad - believe that they aren't nutritious enough nor are non-meat proteins.  My mom says it's because she keeps on reading about elderly Chinese and Japanese being protein deficient because all the protein they're eating are small amounts of tofu.  Note the SMALL AMOUNTS.  That's why they lack enough protein.  It isn't because they're not eating (land) meat.   My mom is kind of helicopter-ish when it comes to health that she sometimes accompanies me into my appointments.  It's kind of an Asian thing...

• Love 2

Ladies:

Can we talk about fertility (yes, I know it isn't JUST a woman issue)?  I was told at the age of 15 to "never have children" due to a genetic condition.  That, combined with life-long meds I have to take for other reasons, means not only should I not use my own eggs for a baby (yes, I realize I could go through IVF, have my eggs extracted, tested and frozen - but I don't know if my body can handle all that stress of hormone shots, etc...), but that I shouldn't be pregnant myself either.  If we want kids, it means we have to use donor eggs or adopt.  We've tried adoption, but as many of you may have read on other threads, it was pretty much NOT working out for us (due to limitations on where we can adopt from/being (or not being) matched due to what we assume is related to religion and ethnicity.  We have moved forward to surrogacy, but that has been tough as well, with two failed embryo transfers.  We haven't given up yet, but it's been emotionally taxing, at least on my part.  We have a drop-dead date of mid-2018 before giving up entirely.  A mid-2018 positive transfer would mean a baby born during the first quarter of 2019.  I turn 40 in the final quarter of that year (September 1).   

And while I'm very open about this issue, I know that some people aren't (and it's sad, IMHO).  And despite my openness on the topic, I am still hesitant to post about this beyond more anonymous boards like this one (okay, you know what I look like based on the avatar, but you don't know my real name).  I have tweeted about it, but I have not posted anything on my Facebook status.  Nor have I posted anything in more public spaces like my blog.  My parents probably don't even WANT me to talk about it (cultural and generational).  

Perhaps this should be on the mental health thread, instead...

• Love 3

@PRgal - I don't have any relevant feedback for you, but I suspect others would/will.  It is hard to find the words to verbalize what we are going through when something is such a deeply personal issue.  I suspect that this has been a heavy burden for you to carry around with you since you've been carrying it around since you were 15.

I wish I had some better insight or the kindest, wisest words to share with you, so please take my sincerest respect for how you have handled this thus far.  Hugs.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

@PRgal - I don't have any relevant feedback for you, but I suspect others would/will.  It is hard to find the words to verbalize what we are going through when something is such a deeply personal issue.  I suspect that this has been a heavy burden for you to carry around with you since you've been carrying it around since you were 15.

I wish I had some better insight or the kindest, wisest words to share with you, so please take my sincerest respect for how you have handled this thus far.  Hugs.

Thank you.  It took me a while to get over the no baby thing.  I still remember being told and crying in the doctor's office.  He was an older guy (I hesitate to use the word "gentleman" because he most definitely WAS NOT) and probably didn't know exactly how to tell a teen like me.  Maybe he didn't want to get into the scientific aspect.  And it was the 90s, so IVF wasn't nearly as developed.  But he could have at least said something about adoption. 

I'm really glad that as of late, many celebrities have come out with their infertility stories.  I hope more people - famous or not - do.  And not just women, but men as well.

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 1

Anybody here dealing with post-menopausal incontinence?  Abdominal prolapse issues?  Just curious what you're doing to manage your symptoms?  Anyone here subscribe to Christine Kent's Whole Woman exercises?  What's your success rate?  I've sort of reached critical mass this week with my own symptoms.  I'm doing the Christine Kent work but so far my success is...pardon the expression...spotty.

On 2/4/2018 at 10:45 PM, CatsAndMoreCats said:

Anybody here dealing with post-menopausal incontinence?  Abdominal prolapse issues?  Just curious what you're doing to manage your symptoms?  Anyone here subscribe to Christine Kent's Whole Woman exercises?  What's your success rate?  I've sort of reached critical mass this week with my own symptoms.  I'm doing the Christine Kent work but so far my success is...pardon the expression...spotty.

I haven't had these things, but, my mom was having some problems a couple of years ago and I went with her to see a Urologist.  He was very helpful.  He did a test on her while she was under light sedation and discovered that she didn't have prolapse like she thought. She had some nighttime frequency and he offered her some options.  Have you seen an expert about it?  I know it's been a while since you posted this.  Hope you're doing well. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Went to the gyno today and they found a polyp on my cervix. Anyone here ever had experience with that before? I have to go in for an ultrasound next week to see if there are more. I'm nervous.

• Love 1

I haven't.  I understand being nervous, but please don't let yourself wander down a dark path.  I wouldn't be able to resist researching what I was dealing with, but if you go that route, ask the doctor's office for recommendations on informative sites and academic research.  It may be dry reading, but probably more balanced.

Non-creepy hugs.

• Love 2

My girlfriend made a rather nagging comment last night. She said, I really don't like your six-pack!

She was of course referring to my lower stomach and belly area, which is quite toned due to all the exercise and cardio I've been doing for months and years.  Personally, I quite like my "six-pack" but Chris remarked that it looked so unfeminine!

I don't do lots of weights, and therefore I don't have a overly muscle-bound body. In fact the only noticeable muscles are more around said stomach, thighs and legs (due to lots of running).  

I was just wondering what people thought about women having six packs? I have now become accurately aware of mine and feel a little embarrassed by having one

I think they are quite the opposite of unfeminine.  Having owned some in yesteryear,  I might be biased though.

it doesn't sound like you're a female hard body - just one that is very toned as a result of your exercise habits.

I think if you wanted to test public reaction, just wear a midriff shirt out & about one day.  I'm sure you'll get more positive glances if not actual compliments (like I'd kill for those abs).

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I think they are quite the opposite of unfeminine.  Having owned some in yesteryear,  I might be biased though.

it doesn't sound like you're a female hard body - just one that is very toned as a result of your exercise habits.

I think if you wanted to test public reaction, just wear a midriff shirt out & about one day.  I'm sure you'll get more positive glances if not actual compliments (like I'd kill for those abs).

While in the shower this morning I had a closer look (and feel) of my so-called six-pack, and to be really honest there's no such thing-  just a flat stomach that might show muscular tone when in shadow. I have had a look at some genuine "packs" on Google, and they look far more defined and muscular than mine, and I can't say I find them all that appealing. 

I might take a selfie and upload it here for a 2nd opinion, but I rather think my g/f is making a mountain out of mole hill

Maybe it is different, because if a boyfriend had said something equally indelicate (to put in mildly) to me, it would have made me extremely hurt and self conscious.  With my friends, they might offer a similar critique but it would either be more mildly stated or said in the extreme to be humorous. 

Is it possible she's getting self conscious because you are in better shape and self-motivated to exercise?  So the negative comment is misdirected?  Or trying to be humorous but not stated in a way to make that apparent?

took a pic a few minutes ago, which was taken at such an angle to emphasise the "6 pack". But I just don't see it. But because she's mentioned it (either out of envy or just a general comment) I have become a little bit self-conscious about it, as you rightly pointed out.

When she meets up with me tonight, I will have to ask her if she's been serious or just messing around. But whatever she says it won't deter me from keeping my stomach the way it is

DSG7654538.jpg

Edited by Zola

I'm straight and if a boyfriend said that to me, I'd be ticked off. I'd probably say something nasty back about his physique because I'm childish and petty that way, but saying things about a person's body is not cool to me.

• Love 2

@Zola - that didn't come across as vanity to me.  Looking back at an old picture where I was wearing a shirt that showed a substantial amount of my stomach, I'm quite pleased with myself.  Now, the big hair?  That is a whole 'nother story!

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

@Zola - that didn't come across as vanity to me.  Looking back at an old picture where I was wearing a shirt that showed a substantial amount of my stomach, I'm quite pleased with myself.  Now, the big hair?  That is a whole 'nother story!

I've re-uploaded pic again and will ignore my own vanity worries, ha!

My g/f still thinks it looks far too hard and muscular and a little off-putting. But hers isn't too bad either, even though she doesn't do as much exercise. Plus she's had her belly button pierced, which is something that doesn't appeal as I always worry about infection. 

• Love 1

I used to have the problem of that muscular abdomen. lol  It was some time ago, but, I recall that I didn't really know what it was! lol  Seriously.  I did loads of workouts and it showed. I doubt I'll get there ever again. Now, I'm hoping that my diet and exercise with help with weight loss and limited sagging skin. At least that's my prayer.  I say go with what you feel sexy with.  I find that I care less what others think than I did years ago.  

• Love 2
On 27/03/2018 at 4:53 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I used to have the problem of that muscular abdomen. lol  It was some time ago, but, I recall that I didn't really know what it was! lol  Seriously.  I did loads of workouts and it showed. I doubt I'll get there ever again. Now, I'm hoping that my diet and exercise with help with weight loss and limited sagging skin. At least that's my prayer.  I say go with what you feel sexy with.  I find that I care less what others think than I did years ago.  

True enough. Although it does concern me about how when one gets older it becomes more difficult to keep a night taught figure, especially if I decide to stop exercising.

Has anyone noticed volume gain around the abdomen in pre- and/or menopause? And has anyone found a way around that?

That's where I am now and it's a shock because my weight had barely fluctuated since my early 20s, but now it's off the chart and varies wildly from day to day. More worrisome is that my stomach also varies wildly, one day all nice and toned, the next one all bloated , and the third with a fat layer, and then we start again... :(

I feel like I should invest in a new wardrobe, because despite ab work and cardio, I'm still only my previous normal size one day out of three, and the rest of the time, my clothes don't fit like I would like them to. I feel it's not just that I need to buy one size bigger, but that maybe what so far worked for me no longer will, because my proportions are changing too... :( I need to take the time to go and try clothes and see what fits my new body, but I'm dreading it. Which is ridiculous, because I need nice clothes that fit and make me look good...  

Oh, dear God, yes. In my case, it doesn't help that my son is almost 7, so for the past almost-seven years, my ab muscles have been considerably different than they were before I had a C-section.

They told me when I was about 22-23 that one day I'd have a hard time losing weight, but I didn't believe them. They were right.

If you find something that works, let me know. @DeLurker suggested rollerblading, so I'm going to look into that even though I'm positive I'm going to look like an uncoordinated lunatic (which I will be). But perhaps it will help, and perhaps I won't seriously injure myself at the same time.

As soon as the hot flashes stopped, my middle has been expanding and there is no rhyme nor reason to the changes that can happen from day to day.

Rollerblading is out of the question for me these days since I have some balance issues.  That said, I am going to (try) to start stand-up paddle boarding.  I gave it a try last summer that requires and trying to get to a standing position and then stay upright worked every core muscle I had.  When I fell, and I did a lot, it was in water so unless I actually hit my head on the board, my balance issues are offset by the environment.  It did not help that I went with my brother who was in a kayak and he would say something funny just as I was trying to stand.  And then laugh like a lunatic when I fell.  And filmed it all so he could share with the rest of my brothers. 

There's a place near me that rents paddle boards by the hour - $20 for the first hour, $5 for the following hours.  They also have board storage space that you can rent if you have your own.  I may end up buying one - my son tried it out too and he was a natural by the reports given by my brother and his cousins.

Nutmeg, if you are noticing lots of variation with your belly, I'd discuss it with a doctor to rule things out. My mom has some bowel issues that cause her a lot of bloating and discomfort from day to day.  It could be some kind of bowel thing, that could be treated.  I wouldn't just assume that it's hormonal.  

I haven't had that kind of problem with my middle.  I got bigger, due to my diet and not menopause.   When I changed that, my middle went down substantially.  I don't notice the bloating and water weight gain, that used to have in connection with my period. And in fact, I don't really retain water at all, like I used to.  I used to have swollen feet and lower legs.  Doctors never could say why.  But, it went away years ago and I am so relieved.  

• Love 1

I'm working my abs like crazy and at least my stomach is flat, but still there is a layer of fat that never was there before. I started some over the counter thingies that have a morning pill and an evening pill and are supposed to help prevent water and fat stocking!?

@SunnyBeBe, I've recently moved (countries, continents) and am still not up to date in finding the right doctors. Also, I didn't exercise as I used to since last sumner, because move. And last winter, I got stuck with a ligament problem in my knee. So clearly I don't know what is menopause and what is  other aspects. I've always had such a fast metabolism, all this weight gain is a new thing to me.

I have not changed the way I eat. Pharmacy supplements have helped, I'm back to not having a bloated stomach, but the weight keeps piling up.     

(edited)

I get it Nutmeg.  A good doctor is sometimes not easy to find. I lucked up with mine, but, I am in a very healthcare oriented area.  Are there any medical schools or teaching hospitals near you?  I found that Duke and UNC in my area are top notch.

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Woke up in the middle of the night/early this morning really sweaty and with an increased heart rate (thanks to my Fitbit).  Perimenopause?   Can someone with secondary amenorrhea even GET perimenopausal symptoms?  I'll be 40 in September.

Question 1: Could be. Question 2: I don't know.

I'd advise seeing a doctor just in case. I'm not sure what else sweating and racing heart can be symptoms of, but it doesn't sound good.

Has anyone here ever used Thinx underwear?  I'm getting to that point where I never know when, where, or how dramatic my period will be and wondered if these are worth it.  The reviews on their site are rave (of course!), but you can never be sure those are genuine.

Ugh, I think it's getting close to having to make a decision on dealing with my uterine fibroids. I've had them for years (and I've always wondered if I've had them since I was a teenager, my periods were debilitating until I got on birth control in my 20s), but bc pills made things manageable. I'm starting to get bleeding between my periods and it sounds weird, but I almost feel like they've grown recently and are taking up more room on my abdomen. 

Has anyone here had fibroid removal or a partial hysterectomy? I'm leaning towards the latter, as I'm 42 and don't plan on any kids. 

Thank you so much for starting this topic. I must say this is something that I would love to be more well-informed about in general. I am a 30year old woman and was diagnosed with PCOD a week back. Eventually, in past few months I have gained a lot of weight. Although, I have been exercising and taking all necessary precautions. So, I am looking forward to go on Health vacations in my upcoming holidays. I have heard lots of good things about programs like these. Hope I will get some help too.