Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Queens of Talk

• Start Topic

I always like it when the lip synchers interact with each other. Sure, you're trying to outshine the other person, but there's no reason you can't link up your moves occasionally. It makes it a better performance.

Anyway, that happened tonight and I liked that. Also, no complaints about the result.

• Love 2

I was really hoping Trinity would shante, FWIW I thought she outshone Adore in her LSFYL, but Adore seems to be Ru and the producers' favorite so of course she was going to stay.

Last night was such a breath of fresh air without Laganja around, sure there was some shade but the overall atmosphere between the queens was much more pleasant without that attention hogging brat around.

• Love 1

I would have been sad to see either Trinity or Adore go, but I do get it. I think if Trinity had only messed up Chaz's name once, and corrected herself immediately, she might have stayed out of the bottom two. But she did it the entire way through. That really is rule number one - get the name right. Joslyn stuck her foot in her mouth for sure, but in doing so demonstrated that she actually knew quite a bit about the two people on the couch and was genuinely interested. And this was Trinity's third (?) time in the bottom, and had never won a main challenge, so it does make sense. The only person I won't be sad to see sashay at this point is Darienne.

• Love 2

Ananayel, I'm amazed at how few of the queens I actively like at this point. I couldn't stand Trinity at the start, but damned if that redemption arc didn't work! Unlike Leganja and Gia, she seemed to actually get something out of the criticism she received.

• Love 1

I was a titch surprised at first that Joslyn wasn't in the bottom two but after watching the show a second time I could see why. I think it was mainly due to the fact that Paula Abdul was a guest judge and they wanted Adore to perform in front of her (well and the fact that Adore's talk show/runway were bottom two worthy. Georgia: "I grew up in the depression, honey." Adore: "Party!"). So, unless she pulls a miracle out of her favorite body part next week I can't imagine Josylyn not sashayin'. I love her and thinks she's pretty much a lock for Miss Congeniality but her drags? As the divine Willam would say "Nurse! Oh, Nurse!".

I know we didn't see all of the talk shows but I was a little surprised that Bianca came across so dry and wasn't showing much personality. I mean I can see why she would dial down her 'stand up' like persona but, still. Her runway was flawless though.

Courtney was much better on the show proper this week but I still can't warm up to her. It was good to get a bit more insight to her character but ... ::shrugs:: I do love Ben though and thought his runway was brilliant. I would have given him the win but I can see why Courtney got it. So, now Bianca, Ben, Courtney and Adore each have two wins, Darrienne has one and Josylyn has ... multiple bathing suits and enough jewelry for her own flea market table.

Saw the first ten minute preview of the next episode and

even though I could see it coming that was pretty shady of TPTB to have the winner of the mini challenge (Bianca) choose the brides for the queens to work with and then have it turn out that it would the unseen grooms that would be made over instead. I'm guessing that Bianca and Ben are probably the best, skill wise, to make this work but, you never know.

Oh, and Darrienne Lake? Can fuck right off.

• Love 2
Oh, and Darrienne Lake? Can fuck right off.

Co-fucking-signed.

Although, for all we know, she'll get the redemption arc next week. The editing is really trying to give us emotional whiplash this season.

• Love 5

This is by far my favorite top 7 of any season, and Bianca, Adore and Courtney are becoming some of my favorite queens, period. Darienne definitely has her bitter and shady moments, but I also find her genuinely funny at times. I wouldn't say I like her, but I don't dislike her. 

Courtney and Trinity turned it OUT on that runway. Favorite looks of the season, edging out Klaus Nomi Malone. 

Joslyn is still sweet, but the other queens are right - her looks so far haven't been up to par, and she's been wildly inconsistent in challenges. I think she's the next to go.

Courtney still bores me, but I understand her win. Ben really pulled it together, though. Quite a quick redemption - I'd say if she is in the top next week, she's really the only credible threat to Bianca's crown. As it is, I'm bit sure there's any threat right now. I think to stir things up, we'll end up with Bianca in the bottom next week, and a Ben or Courtney win. Just to suggest that it's anyone's game.

Darienne. Ugh. She has some lines that would be funny if they weren't delivered in such an aggressive way. Whenever Ben has anything positive to say, she has to jump in and point out why it's probably actually a negative. But I think she's in it for a few more episodes. Joslyn is probably bottom rung right now.

I never expected to love Trinity, but she's wonderful. She can dress and lipsynch for the gods, and is quite an endearing person. It was her time to go, but I think she'll find a nice niche after the show.

• Love 1

I screamed at my television.  I'm sorry all you Joslyn lovers, but she should have been in the bottom lip syncing instead of Trinity.  Yes, Trinity butchered Chaz' name, but at least she didn't utter insanely bizarre statements combined with what had to have been the most horrid question ever asked in an entertainment venue.  Joslyn's costume was HORRIBLE!  Did Michelle miss her pulling up the back edge of the skirt to reveal yet another string?  I have to say also, I didn't watch the double Untucked until last night, when, to my surprise, Courtney didn't yell from the rooftops that Joslyn was not as eligible for the win as more fashionable queens.  Honestly, I thought maybe Courtney had said something absolutely horrid by the reactions I read around the web.  Um...not so much.  It was an honest "you aren't as polished as some of us".  It is TRUE!  Admittedly, like Willam, Courtney has access to more expensive clothing, but hers is no more impressive than Trinity's!  And we come at last to Trinity.  I will miss her fashion sense so much.  I am surprised at how much I grew to care for her in the past few weeks.  I hope and pray Joslyn goes next week.  I seem to be alone on this, but I am not all that impressed with her and thought it was nice of Courtney to compare her to Dida Ritz! 

• Love 2

Definitely a shocker episode, but we needed it.  It's been all to predictable up to this point.  I also agree that this is the start of the Bianca downward spiral.  She's great, but it wold be so anti-climactic if she wins with just an always awesome edit.  I just can't imagine warming up to Darienne at all.  Ever.

What a fantastic episode! Although I don't necessarily agree with the outcome, I am totally fine with it because it was bound to happen in the next couple episodes anyway. Trinity went out on such a great and positive note and I think the editors deserve a bonus because that redemption arc had me hook, line, and sinker. 

That lip sync was amazing, and I probably would have give it to Trinity but she and Adore really tore it up. They worked so well together and it wasn't so much a lip sync battle as opposed to a really awesome performance, which I love. 

• Love 2

Bianca and Courtney's faces when Adore said she thought the Ru-mail was about boxing each other were hysterical.  Where on earth did Adore get that from?

I'd guess it was the way Ru was talking in the video/mail.  She did kinda sorta sound like a boxing announcer.  It was a similar cadences to "And now, in this corner...."

Edited by mathewt

It seems to me that Ru and company felt that Trinity had accomplished all she could on the show because there is no way she should have LSFYL over Joslyn. I knew once she was in the bottom two Trinity was going because based on past missteps, she could not afford to be in the bottom. Good thing about her exit was the class and positivity shown. I think the show and Bianca really helped Trinity grow.

Joslyn needs to go next followed by Darienne; then by Courtney.

Edited by Happytobehere

Love Trinity's exit speech, which has to be the most classy so far in Drag Race history. Also agree it was her time to go, as not knowing your guest's name is probably the biggest no-no for talk show hosts. Joslyn Fox should be next to go as she really has zero tact whatsoever, to corner a 80 year old woman with such a thoughtless question. I like Courtney Act but I think she is almost a little too polished to win. I predict she will be final 3 but not win, but like another seasoned pro Chad Michaels, will be invited back for the next All-Stars season and win that instead.

• Love 1

I hardly think Courtney cornered an 80 year old woman with a thoughtless question. She asked a question based on an experience she knew her guest had talked about. Yes, it was probably not the best question to ask in the situation, but what Joslyn was doing was taking a risk. It didn't pay off at all, but it was better than Adore and Trinity, whose errors were not as the result of bad risks, but bad preparation. The difference is that risks will sometimes pay off. Lack of preparation never will. While a talk show host should probably neither make their guests feel uncomfortable or unimportant, the latter is more grave an error.

I think the show realized it was Trinity's time to go AND that Trinity was likely to excel at the look challenges that are likely to come. We usually see the makeover in top 6, and the ball with multiple looks usually comes in the top 4. Trinity was likely to nail these, and they must not have wanted her there as a threat to the chosen finalists (especially if either Joslyn or Adore is a chosen finalist, as those two are likeliest to struggle with these challenges).

• Love 1

In all honesty, I found this episodes to be lackluster. Yes, this is a great top seven, and I'd actually love to see them starring in a sitcom together, but I thought this episode didn't have much depth. As Mark pointed out in the recap, the opening was so heavy-handed that the words "JOSLYN STAYS" should've flashed across the screen. That followed by a mini-challenge that was less a challenge and more a chance to trot out the pit crew and plug Scruff to their heart's content. My favorite part of the episode was when the queens were doing "research," which consisted of reading a provided packet. Not seeing the edited versions of the interviews made me suspicious there wasn't enough usable footage. From the clips given, it's apparent that none of them were that successful, which I'd attribute to a difficulty with improvisation or a lack of interview skills/knowledge. Perhaps their packets could've included tips on interviewing. I will say, I think the challenge was the most telling because of the cracks in each queen's facade began to show. When performing in front of an audience, it's easy to affect a persona, but in an interview, genuine honesty is required, which takes more depth than these queens were prepared for. If we'd have seen the interviews, and then heard judge critiques, I'm certain Michelle Visage would've commented on it.

To all the Joslyn haters, I totally get where you're coming from and while I'm not pulling for her to win, I think she gets a lot of flack for not being polished, when it's apparent that she more inexperienced than anything else. If she didn't have potential, she wouldn't still be in the game. She comes off as naive, but still smart. Her interview was too full of nerves to be any good. In the workroom, when Ru commented on the possible inappropriateness of referring to Cher's vagina, Joslyn didn't understand that she needed to write a new joke, instead of salvaging what she had, thus delivering a jumbled mess of words during the guest intro. The abortion question is a touchy subject, and while I don't think it should be off the table, Joslyn's question was to much joke and not enough "realness."

Due to this mini challenge, I actually uninstalled the Scruff hook-up app from my smartphone.  The game was funny, but I'm sorry that's a bit too much promotion, even having the uber-perfect looking owner of the company flash his fake white teeth for 5 seconds.

• Love 1

Oh how I wish they could redo this challenge with different guests! I'm sure these queens could do a good job with guests who had bit of humor and ease.

I actually think this aspect of the challenge was good, in that these particular guests needed to be interviewed tactfully.  You have two guests who are famous pretty much entirely because of their relationship to Cher and are kind of touchy about that -   there's not a drag queen in the world  (hell, probably not a person in the world) that doesn't look at them and have their brain just go CHER CHER CHER.   It's not easy to interview them and somehow avoid talking about  Cher  in a natural-seeming way  

It was a great challenge of tact and poise and thinking on your feet.  If the queens had had to interview a great talk show guest, somebody like Kathy Griffin or Sandra Bernard or the late Gore Vidal who does much of the interviewer's work for them, that wouldn't have been as good a challenge.  Anybody can do a good interview with a great guest  - that's why people like Kathy and Sandra are so often booked as talk show guests.    It takes skill to do a good interview with a difficult guest.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 1

That lip sync was HOT! 

Viewing this post- the overturning of Roe, I support asking someone to own their position on abortion. However, you should probably not do this if that person is also judging you in a reality show.