Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Bowery Kitchen Supplies

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Once again I am in awe of Marcus's self-control.  The male owner of the store would have been eating my shoe through his backside if I was there.

ETA: Howie, thank you cooksdelight.   What a schmuck.  

Edited by EAG46
forgot the name of the idiot
  • Love 4

One of the things the wife needs to learn is to say "I think....." instead of "I feel...." when she's trying to assert herself and make a point. I learned that a long time ago in my ad agency days, when you're making a presentation to someone and trying to convince them that your idea has merit, you don't bring what you feel into the discussion.

• Love 4

The store is going to slowly revert back towards junky and crammed. Howard will get this deal on a couple of pallets of super-cheap stuff. That will find a home in the store. 20% of it will sell over Christmas. 80% will stay. The SKUs will be in the system and if anyone took time to do an analysis they'd see that it needs to go, but no one will take the time to do that.

The store will chug along with a combination of moving inventory with good margins and dead inventory. It will be New Yorkier than ever. It will be much more profitable but have some of that old overstuffed Manhattan craziness. Marcus would hate it but won't have time to mess with this.

• Love 1

I loved the snarky old guy employee.

"Where's Howard?"

"Ah the age old question."

(Or something to that effect.)

There's approximately 0% chance Howard has actually changed in any way.

From what I could see, the store was initially like almost every other kitchen store I've been in (and I've been in a lot). Tight spaces, overflowing shelves, little sense of organization, wandering aisles, every sku imaginable somewhere in the store if you dig deep enough.

The new store looks like an oversized Williams Sonoma. Even nicer looking than that.

I am sure either concept can work, and I don't know which is more profitable, but I'm pretty sure they attract a different type of customer. From what little I know of the location, and what they showed, it seems like a logical change to me.

• Love 3

Howard was a squirrely little guy, and I really wondered about all of his "vacations".  He kind of reminded me of Marty Feldman, but without the googly eyes.

I think trying to get Howard out of the business would be a disaster, though.  Although Robyn divorced him, she still considers him her best friend, and I think she'd lose interest in the business if he was no longer around.  I've known couples like this in the past; they seem totally dis-functional, but they're actually much stronger together than apart (why, I have NO idea!).  They actually thrive on their dis-function and, over the years, have carved out a way to make it work for them.

I thought Marcus' design team did a great job on this one.  The final result looked like a store I'd actually drop in and visit, and I'm not a kitchen supply kind of guy!

• Love 3

Howie answers the question of what would happen if Dustin Hoffman's Ratso Rizzo character and Marty Feldman's Igor had a baby.  Toss in Joe Pesci's Leo Getz for the annoyance gene.  What a dick (TM Marcus).

I totally agree with Josiah Bounderby. That 4000 sq feet will be chock-a-block full of dollar store crap in a few months.  I bet Howie even gets rid of the beautiful fixtures and reclaims the front window.  There is no way that guy changes his habits. He will never give up his vacations (did he say he goes on a 2 week vaca every month???) Marcus would have been better off to buy out Howie and work with Robyn. 

Would commercial chefs/restaurateurs really shop in that kind of space?  NYC must have 10's of thousands of restaurants. I know there are big box stores specifically for commercial kitchens, so wouldn't they be able to offer better selection, higher volume and lower prices than Howie's smaller space?

My mom and I are planning a trip to NYC this spring and Chelsea Market is on top of both our must see lists.  I wonder if Bowery Kitchen Supply will still be there? 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Josiah Bounderby said:

The store is going to slowly revert back towards junky and crammed. Howard will get this deal on a couple of pallets of super-cheap stuff. That will find a home in the store. 20% of it will sell over Christmas. 80% will stay. The SKUs will be in the system and if anyone took time to do an analysis they'd see that it needs to go, but no one will take the time to do that.

The store will chug along with a combination of moving inventory with good margins and dead inventory. It will be New Yorkier than ever. It will be much more profitable but have some of that old overstuffed Manhattan craziness. Marcus would hate it but won't have time to mess with this.

Of course it will.  

26 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Would commercial chefs/restaurateurs really shop in that kind of space?  NYC must have 10's of thousands of restaurants. I know there are big box stores specifically for commercial kitchens, so wouldn't they be able to offer better selection, higher volume and lower prices than Howie's smaller space?

Maybe if they're in the neighborhood already and need something quick.  The Food Network studios are also in Chelsea Market and there appears to be some connection between the two. But most of this store's business is probably to tourists paying 20% more than they would pay for the same thing outside of Manhattan.

• Love 3

When I was in college, I worked for a very busy catering service. From time to time, I'd go with the owner to a restaurant supply store, an enormous space in a dingy part of town, to replace the sorts of things caterers use up or wear out on a regular basis.  The place was stuffed with restaurant equipment, from huge freezers to crystal champagne goblets, all randomly sitting on the floor or piled on open metal shelving. Eighteen gallon stock pots sat next to cartons of latex gloves. Very fine knives from brands that chefs coveted and Williams Sonoma never touched, were up on magnetic racks next to every other metal utensil one could imagine. The owner would sell to the public, if any were brave enough to walk in past the dirty windows crammed with cheap crockery and massive butcher boards, but he didn't want or need the sales, and if you came at a busy time you'd be ignored.  If you were in the trade, you knew to come with a list of what you wanted. There'd be a brief discussion of available options, and maybe you'd take a look at a few alternative objects the owner suggested, but mainly he 'd grab the list, call his minions to assemble the stuff and take your money.  In my experience, this is more or less the model for restaurant suppliers with a brick and mortar space.

I think what Bowery had going for it that Marcus missed, was that it was giving something of the trade experience to the general public (and maybe giving some actual service to the trade, although probably not that many restauranteurs relied on the store for anything substantial.)  I think people who like to cook enjoyed wandering through the confusion, maybe spotting something they wanted or hadn't realized they needed, and thinking they were getting deals because the place looked "wholesale."  I think all the organization he imposed on the store diminished its appeal (at least as far as the appearance goes; the organization of the finances was a great idea.) But if Marcus is determined to take on Sur La Table/Williams Sonoma/ Pottery Barn, I guess he took the right first steps.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 7

There was a good show going before it derailed with personal drama. (Again.) I want to hear more about space optimization and product selection.

I also think Robyn should be grateful that Howard fit so naturally into the villain role. Because between between the notebook-over-digital records, the love of a one-off Robot Coupe, and the "I don't remember all the vendors but I remember the biggest ones" I'm certain she could have gotten a different edit.

22 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

I think what Bowery had going for it that Marcus missed, was that it was giving something of the trade experience to the general public (and maybe giving some actual service to the trade, although probably not that many restauranteurs relied on the store for anything substantial.)  I think people who like to cook enjoyed wandering through the confusion, maybe spotting something they wanted or hadn't realized they needed, and thinking they were getting deals because the place looked "wholesale."  I think all the organization he imposed on the store diminished its appeal (at least as far as the appearance goes; the organization of the finances was a great idea.) But if Marcus is determined to take on Sur La Table/Williams Sonoma/ Pottery Barn, I guess he took the right first steps.

Was just coming to post this.  I much preferred  the old Bowery...I would have spent hours rummaging through all the junk, trying to squeeze down the narrow, over-merchandised aisles, blowing dust off glassware, and finding stuff I never knew existed.  The new store is nice, but nothing special.  Old Bowery reminded me of a giant Fishs Eddy before it became "Fishs Eddy".  That place was a mess, but boy...was it fun to shop in.

I know I stand alone in this, but Howard's penchant for vacations didn't bother me at all.  I would love to take 2 weeks off every 2-3 months.  It's not like everything fell apart when he wasn't there.  In fact, his staff was probably thrilled that he wasn't.  However, what is it with owners who just don't show up for meetings with Marcus?  It seems like the past few episodes have featured this disrespectful behavior. 

Edited by Albino
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I totally agree with Josiah Bounderby. That 4000 sq feet will be chock-a-block full of dollar store crap in a few months.  I bet Howie even gets rid of the beautiful fixtures and reclaims the front window.  There is no way that guy changes his habits. He will never give up his vacations (did he say he goes on a 2 week vaca every month???) Marcus would have been better off to buy out Howie and work with Robyn. 

Every other month, but still. I'm sure he sees it as one of the perks of owning his own business, while all the employees who probably get two weeks total per year give him serious stink-eye. Someone who goes on vacation during the ramp up to the reopening because he "always" goes somewhere that time of year won't change.

Once again, we have an episode that's an odd mix of "this place really needs help" with "I'm not sure Marcus grasped which part of it had been working". When they animated the diagram showing the original layout of the shelves vs the straight-line grocery store style, Marcus said it was better because you could go straight to what you wanted. Which is fine in a grocery store where you know what you want, but all my local Sur La Tables have the odd angles that pretty much force you to have to cover the whole store, and the fun of that is wandering around and discovering something you never knew you needed.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

Every other month, but still. I'm sure he sees it as one of the perks of owning his own business, while all the employees who probably get two weeks total per year give him serious stink-eye. Someone who goes on vacation during the ramp up to the reopening because he "always" goes somewhere that time of year won't change.

Once again, we have an episode that's an odd mix of "this place really needs help" with "I'm not sure Marcus grasped which part of it had been working". When they animated the diagram showing the original layout of the shelves vs the straight-line grocery store style, Marcus said it was better because you could go straight to what you wanted. Which is fine in a grocery store where you know what you want, but all my local Sur La Tables have the odd angles that pretty much force you to have to cover the whole store, and the fun of that is wandering around and discovering something you never knew you needed.

Re. Store layouts...there is science behind how, why and where items are placed in stores.  Most layouts encourage customers to feel like they are "meandering" of their own volition, but truthfully most of us are being purposefully channeled or routed based on the positioning of display shelves and aisles.  IKEA is the reigning champion for making me feel as though I'm freely roaming when I am actually another rat in their delightful maze (and I am always rewarded with the opportunity to purchase a hot cinnamon bun at the end!).  But when I shop for leisure, I like to wander and look in every corner, especially if I know merchandise cycles frequently or if I'm in a new store. However, the science falls away if you never redesign your store displays or flip shelves around periodically.  Repeat customers will learn quickly where the items they want are and bypass all the other stuff.  If I am on a mission and want to get what I need and get out fast, I can be laser focused. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Albino said:

I know I stand alone in this, but Howard's penchant for vacations didn't bother me at all.  I would love to take 2 weeks off every 2-3 months.  It's not like everything fell apart when he wasn't there.  In fact, his staff was probably thrilled that he wasn't.  

In fact they said as much.

It adds up to 8 weeks per year. I haven't taken a vacation in years so it certainly sounds indulgent to me. But I think in Greece they call that "minimum wage". 

• Love 1

Ketzel and other posters have made me think that Bowery's appeal was indeed "looking wholesale" so some combination of wholesale warehouse-like chaos and nice retail experience is what the store needs to be a success. Because, fuck, nobody wants it to be Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn.

ALSO -- is that how you sell glassware -- clear glass crammed on shiny aluminum shelving against a neutral backdrop? How do you see anything?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ae2 said:

I loved the snarky old guy employee.

"Where's Howard?"

"Ah the age old question."

(Or something to that effect.)

Oh, my gosh, I loved snarky British guy.  When he and Howard were forced to stand outside the store and solicit customers, Howard said something about not liking it, and he said, "Nor do I."  It doesn't read well, but I literally laughed out loud at his phrasing.  It was priceless.

• Love 7

Howard is a hoarder. I wonder what his house looks like?

Maybe I'm too old, but I'm not sure "Bowery Kitchen Supply" is a great name outside of New York. When I hear "Bowery" I think of Skid Row, homeless drunks peeing in the gutter, and grime in general. I know that it's different in New York now, but I'm not sure many people outside of New York are really up on what neighborhoods are now cool and gentrified/gentrifying.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Peanutbuttercup said:

Maybe I'm too old, but I'm not sure "Bowery Kitchen Supply" is a great name outside of New York. 

Do that many people outside NYC know the name Bowery at all?

• Love 1
On 10/19/2016 at 9:23 AM, Albino said:

Was just coming to post this.  I much preferred  the old Bowery...I would have spent hours rummaging through all the junk, trying to squeeze down the narrow, over-merchandised aisles, blowing dust off glassware, and finding stuff I never knew existed.  The new store is nice, but nothing special.  Old Bowery reminded me of a giant Fishs Eddy before it became "Fishs Eddy".  That place was a mess, but boy...was it fun to shop in.

Yes BUT, 1) the store wasn’t make any money; 2) there was no sense in the ordering, inventory, etc., 3) Fishes Eddy and the store they went to on the show are great as stand alone stores. Chelsea Market is way too upscale and touristy for that kind of store. Marcus’s eye was on fixing the company. The “stuff” they had in that mess of a store wasn’t selling and they didn’t even know what they had. What retail store doesn’t do inventory?  And they have to hide money from Howard.  Marcus did the right thing for this store.  

The big restaurant store they went to is on Houston and LaFayette and is awesome.  That would be a great store to rummage.

• Love 1

Yeah, I kind of assume all of those crammed-full old-school hardware stores, and places like Bowery Kitchen Supplies, do fine, but if they were constantly on the brink, I guess not so much! So probably making it easier for people to buy more of what they want makes sense.  And I don't have any kind of comprehensive knowledge of what's in Manhattan any more, but there are a ton of new apartments on the West Side, right? So Chelsea Market may be the most convenient place for those people to buy glasses and paring knives, not just tourists passing through.  Like, when I lived on the UWS, I feel like I went to Surprise Surprise in the East Village for a lot of that kind of thing. 

On 10/19/2016 at 1:45 PM, Josiah Bounderby said:

ALSO -- is that how you sell glassware -- clear glass crammed on shiny aluminum shelving against a neutral backdrop? How do you see anything?

Not in California! One minor shake and poof!

I can't imagine it's all that sensible anywhere else, either, because that's one mistimed turn by someone with their hands full from a disaster. Make a nice display area with samples, and keep the glasses safe in boxes.

• Love 1