Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: The Club

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I've suspended disbelief a few times with this show...nobody caring about Paper Boi shooting someone, the Dodge guy driving with no pants, the invisible car tonight...but I cannot abide a club scene where Knuck if you Buck is playing and nobody is fighting, knocking shit over, or shaking their dreds. Major misstep LOL.

Hilarious otherwise though. The janky promoter disappearing through the trick wall was everything.

• Love 11

They were on fire tonight.  That promoter giving Earn the slip, the invisible car actually being real, and Earn just vomiting on the floor mid-sentence, I was laughing too hard.  But the "Wendy's Double Stack" line had me wheezing.  I'll miss this show when it's on hiatus.

I really liked the bartender.  It was nice to see someone real among all the crazy (hello, strange guy rubbing his nipples) and I'm glad she called Earn out on his crap.  I wouldn't mind seeing her again, and I was thought she was giving Earn her number, not just a note about the fake wall.  I think Earn and Van are still together, but Value did a great job of establishing Van as a character in her own right, meaning she doesn't need to be Earn's girlfriend to still have a place in the series.

I cackled at Darius being so offended at the security guard turning him away.  Of course he'll just go home and play video games.

• Love 6

I think the nipple rubbing guy was Justin Bieber.

Its impossible to describe this show to people. I just tell them to watch. 

It's so insightful in it's humor. The smallest moments are brilliant and hilarious--Darius' conversation with the bounce being one and Earn's with the bartender--just great moments. I call them moments because it doesn't feel like acting because the show is so immersive.

Please give them all the Emmys

• Love 5

I really liked the small bit with the bartender too.  It defines so much with so little effort and yet doesn't get bogged down trying too hard.  Moments like these add and don't distract at all. 

Loved loved the invisible car peeling away after the shootout.  That and the secret door scene were both fantastic.

This was the perfect way to follow last week's brilliance for me.  I was a bit worried about that.  Instead I found the slight shift back to a story telling style without telling one in the usual way, yet again, was spot on. 

And I loved how literal they were about the guy buying up the bar for everyone but since he's leaving, we're done here. 

• Love 4

I was never a club guy, but I loved the running meta commentary on why people go to the club. Along with pretty much everything else. 

I felt bad that Darius missed the invisible car.  Details, I'm pretty sure he was eating the cereal advertised during 'Montague'. 

(I still have the network theme music for B.A.N. running through my head.)

• Love 2

I think I laughed the hardest I've laughed in a long time when the invisible car went by plowing people down.  So unexpected.  So hysterical. My god, I am giggling thinking about it even now.

And was that Baby Huey's Hard Time I heard ?  Love that song!

• Love 3

This wasn't one of my favorites but I did love parts.  The invisible car, Darius, the Super Secret Wall Door, and especially, Earn vomiting mid-sentence and not missing a beat.  The bartender pinged my "perfect cool girl" annoyance meter, but that might be because I am very attached to Van and find her to be so much more relatable and a good match for Earn.

This was the first time in the series that I had a problem with the language.  Lord knows I've been known to drop the F-Bomb now and again, but the constant use of the "N" word and the pervasive use of the "B" word to describe women bothered me.  I was really tired of it by the end of the episode.  Maybe its realistic (my clubbing days are at least a decade and then some in my rearview mirror and my Atlanta clubbing days never began), but, I don't know, it just took some fun out of the episode for me.

Edited by Deanie87
Cleaning up my language!
  • Love 4

In college dudes like Ern would be my boyfriend and I'd have someone like Paperboi as my sidepiece. [hangs head]

Someone called this episode baccalaureate. I think that's the most precise description but not expansive enough

• Love 2

This show just fascinated me. Its insightful and full of very true to life moments and observations, but also very surreal. I mean, the sketchy promoter guy literally disappearing through a reversing wall? A peacock in a leather jacket? A god dang invisible car?! There is really nothing quite like it on TV right now.

The subtitles were cracking me up. So did the guy buying up the bar and leaving, followed by everyone awkwardly standing around, and Darius just going home to eat cereal and play video games. 

I liked the bartender as well. I would like to see her again. I am pretty sure Earn and Van arent really together now, so I think it could be ok. 

• Love 3

Lord knows I've been known to drop the F-Bomb now and again, but the constant use of the "N" word and the pervasive use of the "B" word to describe women bothered me. 

The language doesn't bother me because I find it (unfortunately) realistic and not excessive (and I've never actually gone to clubs), but you know what I DID notice? That guy that was quoting Paperboi's song lyrics at him (and someone really needs to start a Tumblr or something called Paperboi Reacts to Stuff) awkwardly substituted "N-word" for the real word, but had noooooooo problem dropping the actual "B-word" in there. I don't know if the writer(s) did that intentionally, but I thought it was very, very interesting.

The bartender pinged my "perfect cool girl" annoyance meter,

Me too. Was she supposed to be deep? Were we supposed to think she was dropping truth bombs on Earn? First off, she looked about 15 years too old to be playing the Cool Knowledgeable Girl Who Keeps It Real. Second of all, Earn wasn't exactly walking around trying to be above it all. He was there to work. She didn't know that, yet proceeded to make all kinds of assumptions about him anyway. Third, she was wearing a bra and some kind of goddamn bustier, so ... who's really the pretentious try-hard there?

Huh. I guess she pinged my annoyance meter more than a little. 

• Love 2

Do we know if this was filmed near the Lindbergh Marta Station? It looked suspiciously like a film set up I was watching over the course of a few days several months ago, but then again they were going for the generic club look (and succeeded!).

The character I really REALLY liked was the woman that Paper Boi was talking to and then when he realized that Darius left he was trying to get her phone number and she was just like "You can follow me on Instagram...I have a boyfriend." I enjoyed what she said about him getting what he wanted out of her, conversation and attention from a pretty girl for the night (she worded it better). No one has mentioned her on here yet and I just thought her couple of lines were very, very powerful (and awesome).

My goal for when the show is on hiatus, since I recognize many of the filming locations is to start paying attention to all of the filming stuff I see around town (I'm a runner, we see a lot!)

On 10/20/2016 at 4:12 PM, Deanie87 said:

This was the first time in the series that I had a problem with the language.  Lord knows I've been known to drop the F-Bomb now and again, but the constant use of the "N" word and the pervasive use of the "B" word to describe women bothered me.

Okay, the invisible car was kind of awesome. And Darius' delivery of "This is meaningless," then bouncing to enjoy cereal and couch time at home.

But -- I have a problem with this series. It seems like I'm the only black person, or woman, who does. Sitting down and being assaulted with the N word while watching a show is NOT entertainment - especially when it's being spouted by people who look just like me. Just not cool.

Those of you who aren't familiar with Childish Gambino aka Glover - he's got a lot of identity issues/internalized racism going on, and I don't appreciate how my community is being used as a backdrop for Gambino/Glover/Earn to work them out.  All that aww shucks, "I just don't scare people like YOU, Paperboi, which subtly means waah, I'm not the menacing black boogie man like you, and therefore have no social currency among these people here in the inner city. Gosh darn.

Glover, just stop it dude.  Embrace your beta maleness, and swag it out. Stop trotting out your geek boy issues by subtly shading the supposedly "cool black guys club" you wanted to be a part of, but weren't. It's like this show is his vehicle to say 'YEAH, well look at me NOW."

He's sure clever though, I've got to give it to him - for reinforcing cliched stereotypes for your viewing pleasure. The shady Nigerian - check.  A shooting breaks out at a hip-hop club - check, because of course! Didn't you know violence, hip-hop, and a large gathering of black folks go together like glowing lemon pepper chicken wings and homophobic jokes? When will the watermelon make its cameo?

Do some research on your boy Glover, when he gave the rap game a try before acting. His topics include "not being black enough," constantly fetishizing Asian women, and being a raging misogynist.

I might continue to watch solely for Darius, but this show is too problematic for me. Hanging out on the Black-ish and Luke Cage forums are better for my soul. And this is coming from a chick who enjoys novel comedies - Black-ish, Baskets, You're the Worst, Better Things, Drunk History, and even The Real Husband's of Hollywood, for chrissake.

Edited by Jade Foxx
clarity
  • Love 1
On 10/21/2016 at 4:26 PM, justjen said:

Do we know if this was filmed near the Lindbergh Marta Station? It looked suspiciously like a film set up I was watching over the course of a few days several months ago, but then again they were going for the generic club look (and succeeded!).

The character I really REALLY liked was the woman that Paper Boi was talking to and then when he realized that Darius left he was trying to get her phone number and she was just like "You can follow me on Instagram...I have a boyfriend." I enjoyed what she said about him getting what he wanted out of her, conversation and attention from a pretty girl for the night (she worded it better). No one has mentioned her on here yet and I just thought her couple of lines were very, very powerful (and awesome).

My goal for when the show is on hiatus, since I recognize many of the filming locations is to start paying attention to all of the filming stuff I see around town (I'm a runner, we see a lot!)

I'm pretty sure that it was shot at Club Rio in Marietta.