Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Institutional Knowledge

• Start Topic

For someone who's supposed to be so intelligent, Ryan is extremely impressionable. He's only been in there a few weeks and already someone who's in training to become a cop has turned against cops and the entire corrections system.

• Love 2

I was hoping for an Ashley/Ashleigh fight or as i call it a Ashfight.  

Doesn't Ryan know he can open a store on the outside?  Dude is one step away from becoming a real inmate.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

How many versions of Ashley are we going to see in this show?  We have Ashley the inmate, Ashleigh fake inmate and Zac's wife, Ashlee is Dion's girlfriend.  Dime store Daryl Dixon is in C-pod, he's cute but I want him to pull out a crossbow.   Ryan is not this season's Robert.  He actually seems intelligent and he hasn't been stuck in solitary.

• Love 4

Ryan isn't as bad as Robert, but he's also not as smart as he thinks he is.  I'm enjoying his thumbing his nose at the idiots running this jail, but if he truly wanted a career in law enforcement, he's tanking it.  If he truly had the maturity/mindset, he would have said "I'll tell you what I've learned when this is over -- I'm not jeopardizing myself right now by snitching on people who trust me.  Too much room for it to backfire."  Then when it was over he could have withheld whatever he chose, feigned a lack of memory, etc.  when it came to specific incidents.  

I can't wait for the reunion of THIS bunch.  Can you see Monalisa or Quintin rolling over and answering softball questions without fighting back (especially given the preview for next week)?  Sheri confuses me -- she could either become a total apologist (she wants her job in corrections back, so she'll temper her criticism once back in the real world instead of the raw "these people are incompetent" real-time reaction)... but she also has a feisty side.  Maybe together with Ashleigh and Monalisa she'll hold her ground.  

I'm liking Monalisa more -- she was right about that note.  Especially since she had recently triggered Ashley's ire. (And what was up with that?  Despite the dustup with ML, the real target seems to be Ashleigh and everybody agrees with that.  What made her Public Enemy #1? Rejected the hand of friendship?)

I don't even understand why a note was necessary.  Presumably they are interviewed every day.  And presumably every day they say they were up all night from the drug using harridans on the second floor.  Why couldn't a message get passed through the producers?  It wouldn't bring suspicion onto the production crew, because they're presumably pulling out all sorts of inmates (including Ashley herself), and any one of them could complain.  

I also don't know why they don't drug test.   Not sure what the intersection is between civil liberties and being in jail, but presumably the smallest bit of attention to the pod would indicate there were illegal drugs, and therefore if they were found in somebody's system, that's a charge.  

• Love 3

I gotta say, the previews for next week are so completely nauseating, I just dont know if I can watch--really gross, and I dont need a close up of raw sewage--Im just shocked to see people wearing shower shoes slogging through the mess....just simply awful......

as far as the episode last nite, a few thoughts.....

Ashley the mouthy young girl ( who is beautiful by the way) is not afraid to smoke, make out with another woman, threaten but not actually strike anyone? is hitting someone worse than illegal drug use?

I love how Ashleigh fought back-good for her.

Sheri seems like such a chicken-shit-I cant picture her as a CO......anyone else?? I like her though.....

• Love 2

I was really gratified that the recap featured all my moments of disbelief! In regards to the production crew telling the COs or the sheriff about illegal activity, there might be some sort of agreement that they don't repeat what inmates say/do in order to get more "real" footage. I don't know. That's the only way I can explain it. By the time it airs, many of these inmates will be gone.

I couldn't believe they just let the women sit at those tables. Shouldn't standard procedure be to empty the stupid cups on the tables? They didn't even sniff them. Either sexism is working in the inmates favor or there's something going on between these inmates and the COs. That was some slipshod S****, right there. I wonder how much the COs make, low salary is impetus to hang back and make sure not to do anything risky as well as a factor in taking bribes.

They should have pulled Dion. When I heard him say that, my stomach clenched. They have a psychologist on staff, right? Couldn't they pull him and have the psychologist talk to him. Oh, yeah, it's haaaaard to pull inmates without arousing suspicion, I forgot.

INMHO, Inmate Ashley is all show, no go. She's young, she's smart, she knows that to get out of that hell hole, even to a better jail/prison, she needs to stay out of trouble.

I swear, if I didn't know this was a real jail, I would think the entire thing was fake.

• Love 4

It's weird I went into this wanting to hate MonaLisa (the name alone made me want to hate her and that is soooo not her fault but still..,..)  but if anyone is getting something out of this experience it his her.   She seems to have a good grasp on what is going on (unlike Sheri who seems both competent and completely incompetent at the same time,) and isn't looking like she is about to go postal on ever girl in that place (unlike Ashleigh who is looking for a fight and if she isn't careful might end up in prison for reals)

Ryan has always seemed to me to have all the book smarts in the world but zero practical experience.  Sheldon Cooper goes to prison as an example.  It's not that he wouldn't eventually figure out a way to adapt it's just that he might forget that he's not exactly supposed to.  

Dion should have been removed from the program.  He's about ready to crack.  

• Love 2

Why on God's green earth are there any opaque containers in that jail? Commissary catalogs are full of clear headphones, clear TVs, clear clock radios, clear fans, clear power strips--but these inmates have opaque, possibly lidded, likely double-walled mugs? Someone ain't thinking right.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Ryan has always seemed to me to have all the book smarts in the world but zero practical experience.

Quentin: Ryan is a smart guy, but he acts like he's smarter than most of humanity, and that attitude is going to bite him in the ass in here.

• Love 4

Ryan is going to get himself in a world of hurtin' if he decides to open a store.  He can't fight or he'll catch a real charge, so what's he going to do when someone doesn't pay him back?  Debate them to death?  He's setting himself up to get robbed and possibly get his ass kicked.

• Love 8

These COs are the ones who are supposed to be 'in charge.' Why don't they just ask the inmates where the drugs are? Or is that not how it works in jail?

1 hour ago, kassa said:

Took me a while but I assume "r*****."

Is that a curse word or is this show trying to be politically correct?

Sorry...I'm a little late to the party but I just watched this episode tonight. I'm still in shock over Ryan from last episode when he declined to tell the sherrif about what he had learned so far due to his "code of ethics" I'm seriously floored they didn't pull him right there and now he is saying how he has to start all over because they moved him.  Well so what! Your not telling them anything anyways you moron! And it gets even better...he wants to break the rules and open a store even though it is against the rules! Wtf???? Get him outta here! A waste of space!

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:10 PM, Radicalred said:

Ryan is going to get himself in a world of hurtin' if he decides to open a store.  He can't fight or he'll catch a real charge, so what's he going to do when someone doesn't pay him back?  Debate them to death?  He's setting himself up to get robbed and possibly get his ass kicked.

Good point.  I hadn't even thought about the rock/hard place he's in if someone stiffs him on the payback.

I was just amused that he noticed a store and decided to open up a store right next door.  It will be like a mini-mall!

Basically I thought this episode might have been to give the viewers a taste of the same boredom the inmates face.

How many times did the camera zoom in on The Drug Mug?  duh duh duh duuuuuuun . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . nope.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

These COs are the ones who are supposed to be 'in charge.' Why don't they just ask the inmates where the drugs are? Or is that not how it works in jail?

I've never seen it bleeped before, but it's more grossly offensive than other words they bleep, so if they want to add it to the list, so be it. If they were leaving curses in and bleeped it, that would be an awkward choice. They provide the subtitles, so it's not like they're even actually censoring/editing the person's statement.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 1

Ryan, thinks he's an inmate... but that boy is far from it.  Of all the places I've been locked down, that boy would have gotten handled real quick. His smart-ass know-it-all attitude wouldnt fly in G Count, or 1200 Baker. If he tried to run store as a new inmate,  he would have lost all his shit, lol. 

It's just funny to me to see all these participants complaining about the noise, not being able to sleep,  other inmates etc. If they were really in there for a case, and stated bitching about those things out loud, they would be told "bond out if you dont like it!" That phrase is said more than anything in jail. lmao 

• Love 5

Ryan is so arrogant is laughable. He's so bent on convincing everyone that he's so intelligent and over analyzing near meaningless shit.

Ryan trades biscuits and gravy for a danish: "I've become a part of the political system. I've become a part of the economy of this pod. I can use this to gain respect and change my position in the hierarchy,

• Love 5

Ryan is starting to make a lot of mistakes but I still like him. I liked that he refused to snitch at that time. I think he's learning that, despite what his preconceived notions were in regard to them, the inmates are people who also deserve respect. When he agreed to do the show he may have thought these are just a bunch of criminals and it will be easy to work with Tweedledee and Tweedledum. Now, after making friends with a couple of inmates, the tables have turned. To me that shows a sort of compassion and understanding, not to mention a certain willingness to stand up for the less fortunate, that we need more of in the world. Ryan isn't just some jackass that the system can use as their little bitch so that they can get intel. He totally told that dickhead to suck it and I think it's hilarious.

Now all that being said, I don't think Ryan is all there when it comes to social skills so I have to give him a pass on the store idea. He's starting to overthink things and he may end up getting into some trouble. I'm looking forward to seeing how that will influence his willingness to bend over for the jail staff. He may start snitching soon if his plans don't unfold like he thinks they will. But I think if he does it will be out of fear. 

I absolutely do not see the similarities between Ryan and Robert. At the start of the season, I could see how it seemed that way. But after the first episode it is obvious that Ryan is actually a decent person who is really trying. Robert was just a weirdo. They're nothing alike.

i like Monalisa now. She had no trouble telling Ashley and Sheri that she was not down with the note passing. And then she promptly separated herself from those two. Smart move. Sheri is an idiot. If it was such a fucking emergency, why didn't she put the towel around her neck so that she could talk to somebody. I mean, how stupid can you get. 

I wish our Ashley would beat the hell outta that little girl Ashley who thinks she runs the place. I know she has it in her. She's got some anger built up and I'd like to see her take it out on that bitch's face if I'm being honest.

• Love 7
On 10/8/2016 at 10:35 PM, woodscommaelle said:

It's a slur, like the n word against blacks or the f word against gay people.  Many people these days are starting to say the r word instead of r******* when they are talking about it being used as a slur.  A lot of people still say "hey, you r*****!" or "that's r*******" when they think someone is doing something stupid.  I think overall it's not considered as awful as the n word or f word, but it's worse than just saying "that's gay" or "that's lame" when you mean something is dumb and that's why it's censored.  I think that "you're r*******" and "you're lame" should be considered as bad as the f word, because both are actively used to discriminate against a group of people.