Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

It would have been a fun montage if all the outfits were memorable ones we’ve seen on the show. It went to ridiculous levels when her friends were wearing the clothes, who were nowhere near her size.

That really would have been more fun.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2019 at 9:16 AM, Melancholy said:

I really agree with all of this. Absolutely, Cynthia Nixon had much better chemistry with Blair Underwood than David Eigenberg.

It really is funny how everyone sees something different because Robert bored the ever-loving crap out of me and I saw nada between him and Miranda, chemistry wise. The only scene I liked with them was the scene mentioned above post-breakup when Robert finally had a spark to him.

• Love 4

Certainly Robert was good looking and had a good career, but there really wasn’t much to him, which I’m sure they did on purpose to try to get us to want Miranda back with Steve.  I felt sorry for Debbie, I thought she was super nice.

• Love 4
On 3/12/2019 at 7:23 AM, ByTor said:

Certainly Robert was good looking and had a good career, but there really wasn’t much to him, which I’m sure they did on purpose to try to get us to want Miranda back with Steve.  I felt sorry for Debbie, I thought she was super nice.

I know we were supposed to find Debbie annoying, loud and tacky but I thought she was adorable. She seemed to give off a lot of fun, positive, happy energy which I think a guy like Steve needs. 

I've been rewatching again lately. It's amusing how an older me sees so much of the show differently than I used to. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I know we were supposed to find Debbie annoying, loud and tacky but I thought she was adorable. She seemed to give off a lot of fun, positive, happy energy which I think a guy like Steve needs. 

I've been rewatching again lately. It's amusing how an older me sees so much of the show differently than I used to. 

I liked her too and thought she and Steve were a great couple.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I agree. Miranda seemed annoyed by Steve more often then times when she seemed to like him.

Even when Debbie was going on about the nose bleed game seats they were in there was a funny playfulness about it. Steve was embarrassed but she wasn't purposely putting him down or humiliating him. Miranda always seemed annoyed by him. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, Miranda had way more good vibes for her friends than Steve. He might’ve grown to resent her a little bit.

I just saw the second movie yesterday and I have a question. Well, several. For one, Charlotte said her youngest daughter Rose cried all the time. Rose was two, almost three. I don’t know much about babies but is that, uh, normal? Like, babies can be fussy and cry a lot for various reasons. But I thought by two they’re kind of coming out of that. Like, if a two year old is crying all the time doesn’t that mean something might be wrong. I don’t mean emotionally, but physically? 

And also, can someone explain why it was such a big deal that Big suggested two nights off? I get why it wouldn’t work for every couple, but it seemed to me Bug was just being pragmatic. Carrie was annoyed by Big wanting to lounge around watching TV, and Carrie needed time to write, so why not give each other two days to do your own thing? Either that, or Carrie stop being so butthurt about the man wanting to chill. 

And third, the whole “Harry might cheat with the nanny” storyline was beyond ridiculous. I’ve already said I’m in the minority who didn’t like Harry — smarmy, bare-assing white furniture, leaving tea bags all over the place, he can eat pork and sleep with Gentiles but when it comes time to marry he had to marry a Jewish woman, wanting to watch the game while having Shabbas dinner that Charlotte labored over — but to top all that off, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Charlotte ain’t nobody trying to fuck Harry but you. In fact part of the only reason you got with him is because he doted on you while you were on the rebound. I know the movie made the hot Irish nanny a lesbian, but even if she wasn’t, she wasn’t throwing it at Harry.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 6
On 4/4/2019 at 9:01 AM, 27bored said:

Yeah, Miranda had way more good vibes for her friends than Steve. He might’ve grown to resent her a little bit.

I just saw the second movie yesterday and I have a question. Well, several. For one, Charlotte said her youngest daughter Rose cried all the time. Rose was two, almost three. I don’t know much about babies but is that, uh, normal? Like, babies can be fussy and cry a lot for various reasons. But I thought by two they’re kind of coming out of that. Like, if a two year old is crying all the time doesn’t that mean something might be wrong. I don’t mean emotionally, but physically? 

And also, can someone explain why it was such a big deal that Big suggested two nights off? I get why it wouldn’t work for every couple, but it seemed to me Bug was just being pragmatic. Carrie was annoyed by Big wanting to lounge around watching TV, and Carrie needed time to write, so why not give each other two days to do your own thing? Either that, or Carrie stop being so butthurt about the man wanting to chill. 

And third, the whole “Harry might cheat with the nanny” storyline was beyond ridiculous. I’ve already said I’m in the minority who didn’t like Harry — smarmy, bare-assing white furniture, leaving tea bags all over the place, he can eat pork and sleep with Gentiles but when it comes time to marry he had to marry a Jewish woman, wanting to watch the game while having Shabbas dinner that Charlotte labored over — but to top all that off, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Charlotte ain’t nobody trying to fuck Harry but you. In fact part of the only reason you got with him is because he doted on you while you were on the rebound. I know the movie made the hot Irish nanny a lesbian, but even if she wasn’t, she wasn’t throwing it at Harry.

Some toddlers whine, cling, throw tantrums, cry a lot for attention or due to frustration from not being able to communicate the way they want to. The terrible twos are terrible and can last a while. Each kid is different of course. I think Charlotte was just an overwhelmed Mommy dealing with a toddler that was more difficult than her first child. 

Honestly, I didn't understand that! It seemed like a silly plot line to make Carrie well, more Carrie. I didn't understand what the writers were thinking with either movie actually. 

I liked Harry. But yeah, I get that too! I don't understand why they went there either. I can't explain the movies. Both seemed like very weak, atrocious storylines for the sake of movies. They could've, should've been better. 

• Love 2

The first movie was so much better than the second, although I still watch them both over and over.  I did think Rose (the toddler) cried A LOT and Charlotte was very overwhelmed.

(And really, who bakes cupcakes in a vintage white pencil skirt?!)

In the cases of both Carrie and Charlotte, they were initially ok with their situations (Carrie and Big spending time at the old apartment, and Charlotte with the hot nanny) until they got together with the girls, expressed their opinions.  Seeds of doubt were planted.  I can see how someone who is somewhat insecure would feel the way they did.

• Love 2
On 4/4/2019 at 8:01 AM, 27bored said:

I liked Harry a lot. And wouldn't someone who maybe didn't have a lot of money (especially in NYC) might want to latch on to a rich man? If there is a boatload of money, looks aren't quite as important. 

• Love 2
On 4/5/2019 at 4:09 PM, LemonSoda said:

Some toddlers whine, cling, throw tantrums, cry a lot for attention or due to frustration from not being able to communicate the way they want to. The terrible twos are terrible and can last a while. Each kid is different of course. I think Charlotte was just an overwhelmed Mommy dealing with a toddler that was more difficult than her first child. 

I see. Even Charlotte being overwhelmed and needing a break — while living in a huge Park Avenue apartment she didn’t have to pay for, not working, and having a nanny — struck me as pat. I don’t know. It just seems like Rose was whooping her ass and not the other way around and that bothered me. They weren’t that stressed out. They had time to go to Connecticut for Stanford and Anthony’s wedding, so I mean...I don’t know. 

On 4/12/2019 at 4:39 PM, libgirl2 said:

I liked Harry a lot. And wouldn't someone who maybe didn't have a lot of money (especially in NYC) might want to latch on to a rich man? If there is a boatload of money, looks aren't quite as important. 

Yeah, possibly. But even that’s assuming a lot in Harry’s case. There are plenty of well to do lawyers in NYC. The hot nanny had options if that’s what she was going after. And it’s not even just the attraction level; Harry seemed old enough to be her dad. It just wasn’t happening.

• Love 2
On 4/17/2019 at 8:11 AM, 27bored said:

Yeah, possibly. But even that’s assuming a lot in Harry’s case. There are plenty of well to do lawyers in NYC. The hot nanny had options if that’s what she was going after. And it’s not even just the attraction level; Harry seemed old enough to be her dad. It just wasn’t happening.

People tend to overlook A LOT for money. Look at Mick Jagger: He just had freaking heart surgery and yet his latest girlfriend is pregnant or just had a baby. The guy is 77 with tons of other kids!

And look at the woman who married and had kids with 77-year-old Tony Randall before he dropped dead.

Looks and age tend to take a backseat when $$$$$$$$$$$ is in play.

• Love 5
On 4/17/2019 at 8:11 AM, 27bored said:

I see. Even Charlotte being overwhelmed and needing a break — while living in a huge Park Avenue apartment she didn’t have to pay for, not working, and having a nanny — struck me as pat. I don’t know. It just seems like Rose was whooping her ass and not the other way around and that bothered me. They weren’t that stressed out. They had time to go to Connecticut for Stanford and Anthony’s wedding, so I mean...I don’t know. 

I agree on that. I've never understood how or why those with so much help get overwhelmed. I understood Miranda being frazzled from her work even with Magda's help but Charlotte? I think it's just her high strung, princess personality.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:39 PM, libgirl2 said:

I liked Harry a lot too. He seemed really nice. I didn't like him was sitting on furniture naked. That's just weird and gross. Throw some underwear or shorts. The other thing which I do hold against him was his behavior during Charlotte's first Shabbats (sp?) dinner. It was her very first one and she was working so hard. He blew it off and kept trying to watch a game or something on TV. The show seemed to act like it was Charlotte's fault. When no it was Harry's. He ends up saying something when she gets mad and tells him she gave up Jesus for him like it was too much pressure to have his girlfriend give up her own faith for him. Which could have been interesting and would be a lot to handle and kind of stressful. What if after all her hard work you break up? But they never give us any signs that Harry feels that way or anything but very supportive. Until suddenly its the first Shabbat dinner and he's more interested in the game or something. The rest of the time I like him. He loves Charlotte and does the perfect picture and things to make her happy. Which is why I have hard time buying that he would ever cheat on Charlotte. He loves her so much I can't see him ever cheating on her. Charlotte was worrying over nothing. Then again I still think its wildly out of character for Steve to have cheated on Miranda. Feeling neglected sure, Miranda putting work ahead of her family sure. But cheating? Nope. Not Steve.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

I agree on that. I've never understood how or why those with so much help get overwhelmed. I understood Miranda being frazzled from her work even with Magda's help but Charlotte? I think it's just her high strung, princess personality.

That part I don't really understand either. I understand from Miranda since she works a lot of hours because of her job, Steve's hours at the bar, has an aging mother-in-law with issues. It makes more sense. For her to need help and feel frazzled. She has a lot on her plate. But Charlotte? Charlotte doesn't have a job! She's not the main breadwinner in her family, she doesn't have to work so she doesn't, she has all the time in the world to always meet up with her friends and do what she wants, and has help. But she's stressed. From what? I agree I think its just her personality. But also her need or what for things to be perfect, or the perfect scenes. Like the outfit she wore to bake with her daughters. Who wears a white dress to bake with little kids? Well, Charlotte does because she wants the perfect scene. Then gets upset when something gets on it. Wow, who would have though that would happen when your baking little kids? Its really hard to be sympathetic to Charlotte when she doesn't really seem to have any problems.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked Harry a lot too. He seemed really nice. I didn't like him was sitting on furniture naked. That's just weird and gross. Throw some underwear or shorts. The other thing which I do hold against him was his behavior during Charlotte's first Shabbats (sp?) dinner. It was her very first one and she was working so hard. He blew it off and kept trying to watch a game or something on TV. The show seemed to act like it was Charlotte's fault. When no it was Harry's. He ends up saying something when she gets mad and tells him she gave up Jesus for him like it was too much pressure to have his girlfriend give up her own faith for him. Which could have been interesting and would be a lot to handle and kind of stressful. What if after all her hard work you break up? But they never give us any signs that Harry feels that way or anything but very supportive. Until suddenly its the first Shabbat dinner and he's more interested in the game or something. The rest of the time I like him. He loves Charlotte and does the perfect picture and things to make her happy. Which is why I have hard time buying that he would ever cheat on Charlotte. He loves her so much I can't see him ever cheating on her. Charlotte was worrying over nothing. Then again I still think its wildly out of character for Steve to have cheated on Miranda. Feeling neglected sure, Miranda putting work ahead of her family sure. But cheating? Nope. Not Steve.

Unfortunately this is something SATC did with male characters that I only fully noticed after my first series rewatch a few years ago. I understand the need for plots, conflicts. But I don't know why the writers did some of the things they did with male characters that the more time passes it seems very sloppy. I can't see Harry doing something like that after all the pressure to get her to convert. The hairy back and embarrassing to Charlotte jokes in the Hamptons? Yes. But not watching baseball after she went through all of that for him. 

Of course the Steve we first met was intelligent then turned in to a whiny, cartoon watching idiot. Big for all his money, power and charisma was acting like a tween obsessed with Carrie and hanging out in cheap hotels? Someone that wealthy would've bought a hideaway apartment or something and wouldn't care that a divorce would cost him a lot. Also maybe it's my age now but when I watch the show now I sometimes question Carrie's qualities, redeeming qualities, why the other women are so loyal to her and of course what makes all the men over the years so crazy for her. 

I don't know how to double quote posts but as for the baking outfit that was Charlotte being Charlotte. So much of her was image. Which I found sad and would've liked to see her break out of. It seemed that way when she fell in love with Harry and honestly I liked that storyline because in my own life the ones I've truly fallen in love with who were great to me weren't my "type". I thought life with Harry would get her away from putting so much in to that perfect image. I think the movies were poorly written. I was hoping they would continue to show the emotional growth and continued maturity of the characters. When I saw what Charlotte was wearing to bake all I could think about was the early episode about the baby shower with her perfect life, future husband, baby name lost in a box. Seeing the baking scene, where she ended up made me sad because I wanted a different path for her. 

Obviously I put too much thought and concern in to these fictional characters. But I did want more for each of them. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

Unfortunately this is something SATC did with male characters that I only fully noticed after my first series rewatch a few years ago. I understand the need for plots, conflicts. But I don't know why the writers did some of the things they did with male characters that the more time passes it seems very sloppy. I can't see Harry doing something like that after all the pressure to get her to convert. The hairy back and embarrassing to Charlotte jokes in the Hamptons? Yes. But not watching baseball after she went through all of that for him. 

Of course the Steve we first met was intelligent then turned in to a whiny, cartoon watching idiot. Big for all his money, power and charisma was acting like a tween obsessed with Carrie and hanging out in cheap hotels? Someone that wealthy would've bought a hideaway apartment or something and wouldn't care that a divorce would cost him a lot. Also maybe it's my age now but when I watch the show now I sometimes question Carrie's qualities, redeeming qualities, why the other women are so loyal to her and of course what makes all the men over the years so crazy for her. 

That's something I didn't notice when I watched as teen that I noticed when I rewatch the show as adult. There's a lot of sloppy writing. Why did they dumb down Steve? It was unnecessary. He was interesting when he was a bartender but read literature. They had enough differences between Miranda and Steve given their different careers. I liked the idea of Miranda falling for a blue collar worker. But they turned him into man child any time they wanted Miranda to break up with him. Its very jarring when in one episode their happy and Miranda's even happy to do his laundry and in the very next one he's driving her crazy and acting like a child. I can't see Harry doing that after all Charlotte went through either.

Carrie's really the hardest one to watch. In the beginning she was interesting. She had an interesting job, went to clubs and stuff. But she became obsessed with Big and did crazy things. Like stalking his mom and ex-wife. Those are crazy things to do. But they are never treated that way. Same with her need to push Big to commit and tell her she's the one when they haven't been dating that long. As the series goes on she gets worse treats everyone like crap. Its really hard to understand why Big keeps coming back to her. Its hard to understand why she still has friends. She's treated each one like crap and done things that most people would end a friendship over. But that never happens. For some reason  Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha will always drop everything to run to Carrie to help her no matter how small her problem is. They never get tired of how she'd treated them or constantly turning the conversation back to her. Same with guys how does she still keep finding guys willing to date her? Wouldn't they have heard about her at some point and stay away from her? 

I don't know how to double quote posts but as for the baking outfit that was Charlotte being Charlotte. So much of her was image. Which I found sad and would've liked to see her break out of. It seemed that way when she fell in love with Harry and honestly I liked that storyline because in my own life the ones I've truly fallen in love with who were great to me weren't my "type". I thought life with Harry would get her away from putting so much in to that perfect image. I think the movies were poorly written. I was hoping they would continue to show the emotional growth and continued maturity of the characters. When I saw what Charlotte was wearing to bake all I could think about was the early episode about the baby shower with her perfect life, future husband, baby name lost in a box. Seeing the baking scene, where she ended up made me sad because I wanted a different path for her. 

I would have liked to see her break out of that too. I really thought we were going to get that with Harry. She tried hard to have the perfect life with Trey and it didn't work. With Harry it seemed like she was changing from that. Not putting so much stock in perfection. Because she grew, learned from her mistakes and had a great life. A husband who loved her, a beautiful apartment and two adorable daughters. But so much of her growth disappeared from the movies. Then again so did Samantha's and Miranda's.

Obviously I put too much thought and concern in to these fictional characters. But I did want more for each of them. 

So do I. For these characters and so many others. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

People tend to overlook A LOT for money. Look at Mick Jagger: He just had freaking heart surgery and yet his latest gielfriend is pregnant or just had a baby. The guy is 77 with tons of other kids!

And look at the woman who married and had kids with 77-year-old Tony Randall before he dropped dead.

Looks and age tend to take a backseat when $$$$$$$$$$$ is in play.

Yeeeah, I hear you, but I'm still not rolling with the hot nanny and Harry boinking. In those examples there's a ton of money and also fame, so there's that "this guy could have a million women but he chose me" thing. Harry was a well-to-do, middle-aged attorney, with an attractive wife and two kids. And, on his face, not particularly charming. He obviously won Charlotte over while she was on the rebound, but I just couldn't see that happening. Obviously it could in a literal sense, but it wasn't such a possibility that Charlotte had to ruin her free luxury trip to Dubai by worrying about it because she was away.

10 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's something I didn't notice when I watched as teen that I noticed when I rewatch the show as adult. There's a lot of sloppy writing. Why did they dumb down Steve? It was unnecessary. He was interesting when he was a bartender but read literature. They had enough differences between Miranda and Steve given their different careers. I liked the idea of Miranda falling for a blue collar worker. But they turned him into man child any time they wanted Miranda to break up with him. Its very jarring when in one episode their happy and Miranda's even happy to do his laundry and in the very next one he's driving her crazy and acting like a child. I can't see Harry doing that after all Charlotte went through either.

Carrie's really the hardest one to watch. In the beginning she was interesting. She had an interesting job, went to clubs and stuff. But she became obsessed with Big and did crazy things. Like stalking his mom and ex-wife. Those are crazy things to do. But they are never treated that way. Same with her need to push Big to commit and tell her she's the one when they haven't been dating that long. As the series goes on she gets worse treats everyone like crap. Its really hard to understand why Big keeps coming back to her. Its hard to understand why she still has friends. She's treated each one like crap and done things that most people would end a friendship over. But that never happens. For some reason  Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha will always drop everything to run to Carrie to help her no matter how small her problem is. They never get tired of how she'd treated them or constantly turning the conversation back to her. Same with guys how does she still keep finding guys willing to date her? Wouldn't they have heard about her at some point and stay away from her? 

I would have liked to see her break out of that too. I really thought we were going to get that with Harry. She tried hard to have the perfect life with Trey and it didn't work. With Harry it seemed like she was changing from that. Not putting so much stock in perfection. Because she grew, learned from her mistakes and had a great life. A husband who loved her, a beautiful apartment and two adorable daughters. But so much of her growth disappeared from the movies. Then again so did Samantha's and Miranda's.

Kudos to both of you. I said something similar on the old TWoP boards and I've definitely said it about Girls: these female-centric shows love to make male characters do things either a guy wouldn't do (...I know, but I'm just saying) or that guy wouldn't do based on his character thus far, just to make a point about the female character.

I don't see Aiden just breaking up with Carrie because she wouldn't marry him on the spur of the moment, even after he's bought her apartment and the one next door to make a home for them. I don't see Aleks inviting Carrie to Paris and then ignoring her for her two weeks while they install his stupid ass light installation. I don't see Big jilting Carrie, telling her, and then changing his mind thirty seconds later. It was just a lot of "let's make these characters do dumb shit just because".

• Love 3
15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked intellectual Steve who was willing to challenge Miranda and call her out on her BS. When they removed the interviews, put more focus on Carrie and Carrie's crazy it became an entirely different show. S1 Carrie had a lot of potential. It killed me watching The Carrie Diaries where teenage Carrie was more mature than thirty something Carrie. I know it's a broken record but the Charlotte handing her ring over to save Carrie really annoys me more now because I've been there. 

There were some subtle changes in Charlotte with Harry in her life. One of my favourite outfits ever is when Charlotte was in the grocery store looking at the fish. She's in Levi's, a Ralph Lauren tweed jacket and carrying a LV bag. But it's a quirky bag. It was a cherry blossom bag. Charlotte carrying a very trendy bag with cherry blossom cartoon characters on it? This showed she was willing to take new chances and risks. It was very subtle but it worked! Even the RL corsets she wore around that time were very UnCharlotte. 

I hate that they took away Samantha and Miranda's growth. 

5 hours ago, 27bored said:

Yeeeah, I hear you, but I'm still not rolling with the hot nanny and Harry boinking. In those examples there's a ton of money and also fame, so there's that "this guy could have a million women but he chose me" thing. Harry was a well-to-do, middle-aged attorney, with an attractive wife and two kids. And, on his face, not particularly charming. He obviously won Charlotte over while she was on the rebound, but I just couldn't see that happening. Obviously it could in a literal sense, but it wasn't such a possibility that Charlotte had to ruin her free luxury trip to Dubai by worrying about it because she was away.

Kudos to both of you. I said something similar on the old TWoP boards and I've definitely said it about Girls: these female-centric shows love to make male characters do things either a guy wouldn't do (...I know, but I'm just saying) or that guy wouldn't do based on his character thus far, just to make a point about the female character.

I don't see Aiden just breaking up with Carrie because she wouldn't marry him on the spur of the moment, even after he's bought her apartment and the one next door to make a home for them. I don't see Aleks inviting Carrie to Paris and then ignoring her for her two weeks while they install his stupid ass light installation. I don't see Big jilting Carrie, telling her, and then changing his mind thirty seconds later. It was just a lot of "let's make these characters do dumb shit just because".

Yes! You could tell Harry was very devoted to her and wouldn't even go there. It was a very weird plot to me. Big or even Steve with a nanny? But Harry? No way. 

Ah, I'm very grateful for this place but I miss TWoP and all the conversations there. Girls? Ugh that's another show I could rant about for hours. I don't understand the need for female centric shows to dumb down men or change their entire personalities for the sake of a storyline or to show how awesome someone is. 

I'm with you. I can't see Aiden doing that. I could kind of see Aleks in Paris not devoting every moment of his day to shower affection on Carrie because he's in to his work only because there was a short storyline about it in New York. But there's so much they could've done with Carrie in Paris that didn't involve shopping or being sad. I remember around that time the girl in Paris books started coming out. A lot of them said the same thing, that it was hard for them to make female friends and when they did it was usually with a fellow expat. There was so much they could've done with Carrie in Paris but didn't. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

I liked intellectual Steve who was willing to challenge Miranda and call her out on her BS. When they removed the interviews, put more focus on Carrie and Carrie's crazy it became an entirely different show. S1 Carrie had a lot of potential. It killed me watching The Carrie Diaries where teenage Carrie was more mature than thirty something Carrie. I know it's a broken record but the Charlotte handing her ring over to save Carrie really annoys me more now because I've been there. 

There were some subtle changes in Charlotte with Harry in her life. One of my favourite outfits ever is when Charlotte was in the grocery store looking at the fish. She's in Levi's, a Ralph Lauren tweed jacket and carrying a LV bag. But it's a quirky bag. It was a cherry blossom bag. Charlotte carrying a very trendy bag with cherry blossom cartoon characters on it? This showed she was willing to take new chances and risks. It was very subtle but it worked! Even the RL corsets she wore around that time were very UnCharlotte. 

I hate that they took away Samantha and Miranda's growth. 

Yes! You could tell Harry was very devoted to her and wouldn't even go there. It was a very weird plot to me. Big or even Steve with a nanny? But Harry? No way. 

Ah, I'm very grateful for this place but I miss TWoP and all the conversations there. Girls? Ugh that's another show I could rant about for hours. I don't understand the need for female centric shows to dumb down men or change their entire personalities for the sake of a storyline or to show how awesome someone is.  

I liked Steve challenging Miranda too. It was really interesting to watch. Miranda was interested. She'd never really been challenged by any man. This time it was a bartender. 

I hate that they took away their growth. Samantha's and Charlotte's too. They had come so far. I wanted to see what happened next, what came next. Instead it just disappeared.

I'm with you. I can't see Aiden doing that. I could kind of see Aleks in Paris not devoting every moment of his day to shower affection on Carrie because he's in to his work only because there was a short storyline about it in New York. But there's so much they could've done with Carrie in Paris that didn't involve shopping or being sad. I remember around that time the girl in Paris books started coming out. A lot of them said the same thing, that it was hard for them to make female friends and when they did it was usually with a fellow expat. There was so much they could've done with Carrie in Paris but didn't.

I can see Alek too for that reason too. He was working. And he told Carrie that he would be working and be busy. But Carrie didn't want to hear it or care. Its possible she underestimated how busy he would be. But I lean towards she didn't want to hear or care. She assumed she was getting the romantic Paris. Moving to Paris to live with her boyfriend/lover and he'd show her around Paris, take her to all the best clubs and dote on her, what she got was the reality of moving to another country with someone she didn't really know to well or loved, who worked and had to work a lot of hours leaving her alone with nothing to do and doesn't know anyone. There was a lot Carrie could have done. But she chose not to. Which seems in character. She's used to being catered too, having friends drop everything to spend time with her, go to clubs and lunch and stuff. She would have to get up and get out and making friends. She doesn't really do that because she's used to being cater too and still expecting the fantasy she has in her head.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked Steve challenging Miranda too. It was really interesting to watch. Miranda was interested. She'd never really been challenged by any man. This time it was a bartender. 

I hate that they took away their growth. Samantha's and Charlotte's too. They had come so far. I wanted to see what happened next, what came next. Instead it just disappeared.

I can see Alek too for that reason too. He was working. And he told Carrie that he would be working and be busy. But Carrie didn't want to hear it or care. Its possible she underestimated how busy he would be. But I lean towards she didn't want to hear or care. She assumed she was getting the romantic Paris. Moving to Paris to live with her boyfriend/lover and he'd show her around Paris, take her to all the best clubs and dote on her, what she got was the reality of moving to another country with someone she didn't really know to well or loved, who worked and had to work a lot of hours leaving her alone with nothing to do and doesn't know anyone. There was a lot Carrie could have done. But she chose not to. Which seems in character. She's used to being catered too, having friends drop everything to spend time with her, go to clubs and lunch and stuff. She would have to get up and get out and making friends. She doesn't really do that because she's used to being cater too and still expecting the fantasy she has in her head.

Even Samantha. I'm a huge Kim fan which I know isn't popular in the SATC world but I completely understood when she said she was fighting for her character, good content. I hate the way her growth was taken away too. All of that to leave Smith for a simple temptation? Ugh! They could've went the opposite way. What usually kills most age gap relationships? The desire for a family. What if Smith had wanted to be a Father? Could you see Samantha tackling motherhood? The adoption process? That or the struggle of should we become parents would've been very interesting to watch. Especially now that it's more normal to see women choosing motherhood later in life. 

I remember when the last episode first aired wondering if Alek could have done more to introduce Carrie socially so she wouldn't be so bored or lonely which I still don't understand how anyone can ever be bored there but then wondered if anyone there loved him enough to tolerate her. She wanted the full fantasy. Ugh

I think Alek was a waste of Baryshnikov. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Even Samantha. I'm a huge Kim fan which I know isn't popular in the SATC world but I completely understood when she said she was fighting for her character, good content. I hate the way her growth was taken away too. All of that to leave Smith for a simple temptation? Ugh! They could've went the opposite way. What usually kills most age gap relationships? The desire for a family. What if Smith had wanted to be a Father? Could you see Samantha tackling motherhood? The adoption process? That or the struggle of should we become parents would've been very interesting to watch. Especially now that it's more normal to see women choosing motherhood later in life. 

Yes, Samantha had so much growth. I hated that they took that away. Samantha had come so far. She and Smith were a great couple. They went through so much together. If they were going to break them up I can see the age difference being a problem or him wanting kids and her not. I wouldn't even have minded if Samantha realized she was meant to be single or wanted a relationship where they are allowed to see other people. That would have been fine too. But that's not what they showed. They showed a busy Smith and Samantha wanted to bang the neighbor while constantly going back to New York. She got even worse in the second movie. I can see why Kim doesn't want any part of a third movie after seeing what happened to her character in those two movies. 

I remember when the last episode first aired wondering if Alek could have done more to introduce Carrie socially so she wouldn't be so bored or lonely which I still don't understand how anyone can ever be bored there but then wondered if anyone there loved him enough to tolerate her. She wanted the full fantasy. Ugh

I think Alek was a waste of Baryshnikov. 

It was a waste of Baryshnikov. I wish they had brought him on earlier in the series and for Charlotte since she was interested in his work and she would have loved the romantic dates Carrie hated. Maybe Aleks could have done more to introduce Carrie and maybe he should have or maybe Carrie could have waited until after he was finished to come to Paris. Then he would have been free to show her around Paris and introduce to people. I don't know had anyone could be bored there. I have a long list of stuff I'd love to see if I ever visit Paris and it would probably take a year or more. But would it have worked or lasted? Probably not. Sooner or later something would happen to burst Carrie's fantasy. 

• Love 3

What bugged me about Paris was that Carrie did have a chance to make some friends, she had those people in the book store who threw the party for her.  It seemed ridiculous that someone as experienced  as Aleks was so scared about his display being a flop that he needed Carrie to drop her plans to hold his hand.  But since their plot demanded that he was, I don't understand why, when he walked away from her after he got raves for his lights, she didn't immediately run over to her party.  Or even dumber, she said she couldn't get in touch with anybody to let them know she would be late or wouldn't be able to make it, but obviously she knew where the party was, she couldn't have called the restaurant to get a message to them?

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, ByTor said:

What bugged me about Paris was that Carrie did have a chance to make some friends, she had those people in the book store who threw the party for her.  It seemed ridiculous that someone as experienced  as Aleks was so scared about his display being a flop that he needed Carrie to drop her plans to hold his hand.  But since their plot demanded that he was, I don't understand why, when he walked away from her after he got raves for his lights, she didn't immediately run over to her party.  Or even dumber, she said she couldn't get in touch with anybody to let them know she would be late or wouldn't be able to make it, but obviously she knew where the party was, she couldn't have called the restaurant to get a message to them?

That never made any sense to me either. Aleks was too experienced to be that scared plus he never really seemed like the time that would be scared that his display would be a flop. There's no reason why Carrie couldn't have left right after he walked away and made it to the restaurant. And yes, why didn't she call the restaurant and leave a message that she was going to be late or they had to reschedule? Things happen and they were big enough fans to have the party for her but not big enough fans to handle her being late or needing to reschedule? That makes no sense.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That never made any sense to me either. Aleks was too experienced to be that scared plus he never really seemed like the time that would be scared that his display would be a flop. There's no reason why Carrie couldn't have left right after he walked away and made it to the restaurant. And yes, why didn't she call the restaurant and leave a message that she was going to be late or they had to reschedule? Things happen and they were big enough fans to have the party for her but not big enough fans to handle her being late or needing to reschedule? That makes no sense.

Both of you are spot on! I think that was unfortunately typical inconsiderate Carrie behavior though. 

As for introductions I remember other posters on the old forum saying basically well Carrie is a 40 year old or near 40 writer who has worked the social scene her entire adult life in NYC so what would give Aleks the thought he'd need to hold her hand and entertain her every day. 

Some artists have that neediness. To give it to him last minute? Bad writing. Between that and the slap? What a waste of Baryshnikov! What a waste of Paris! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LemonSoda said:

Both of you are spot on! I think that was unfortunately typical inconsiderate Carrie behavior though. 

As for introductions I remember other posters on the old forum saying basically well Carrie is a 40 year old or near 40 writer who has worked the social scene her entire adult life in NYC so what would give Aleks the thought he'd need to hold her hand and entertain her every day. 

Some artists have that neediness. To give it to him last minute? Bad writing. Between that and the slap? What a waste of Baryshnikov! What a waste of Paris! 

Exactly! Carrie easily could have gone out and explored the social scene of Paris on her own. Like she had for her entire career and adult life. Nope, she just sits in hotel room pouty. She goes shopping once and that's it. In Paris. Shopping and social capital of the world? The place she always wanted to go? Explore writing options in Paris. 

I agree some artists have neediness but that's never been something we've seen of Aleks. I hate that because its so out of the blue and so is the slap. Both are wildly out of character of Aleks. So Big looks better when he comes to "rescue" Carrie. Once again Carrie doesn't have to figure anything out for herself. They could have had her come to the realization she should have had. Which she made a mistake. That just up and moving to another country with a man she didn't know very well and wasn't in love with was a mistake. Then break up with Aleks and return home. That would have been a great ending to the series for Carrie. She returns home and for once shows some maturity and takes responsibly for her decision and fixing it. If they had to throw Big into. Have them run into each other or something. But finally have Carrie, the last of the four finally show some growth.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Some artists have that neediness. To give it to him last minute? Bad writing.

2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I agree some artists have neediness but that's never been something we've seen of Aleks.

If anything, he was typically quite confident.  Bad writing indeed!

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, ByTor said:

If anything, he was typically quite confident.  Bad writing indeed!

I really liked his character until Paris. I liked that he stood his ground instead of bending for Carrie, showing her different sides of things. The way he told her he was busy but she busted in on him anyway. Or when speaking about his friend who died from cancer. 

I liked Season 1 Big who seemed aloof and funny. Until they changed him around the time of the affair. I liked Aiden too. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, LemonSoda said:

I really liked his character until Paris. I liked that he stood his ground instead of bending for Carrie, showing her different sides of things. The way he told her he was busy but she busted in on him anyway. Or when speaking about his friend who died from cancer. 

I liked Season 1 Big who seemed aloof and funny. Until they changed him around the time of the affair. I liked Aiden too. 

I liked all three too. I liked Big in season one he was aloof and funny. In the pilot he seemed interesting and the way he answered at the end about love. He also seemed to regret that he messed up with his wife. I hated him after he married Natasha and from then on. Complaining about her and chasing after Carrie. Them ending up together always came off more like by that point they deserved each other. I liked Aiden, he was down to earth, nice and friendly. I liked Aleks too for the same reasons.  I liked him telling her he was busy and when he talked about his friend who died of cancer too. I liked that he was up front about not having anymore children. He was interesting until Paris when they suddenly changed his character. Another thing I liked until Paris was Carrie no longer went running when Big called. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I understand Carrie was worried about Samantha, but I thought she was over the top when she chastised Aleks every time he talked about his friend who died.  He never once said anything negative about  Samantha's chances, he was just relaying his experience as a friend of someone with breast cancer.  And if he didn't say "my friend who died," a natural question to ask would be "How is she doing now?" so the fact that she died would have come out anyway.  

Prior to Paris, I also liked the way he was with Brady, not getting upset when his (I imagine) very expensive vase smashed.  I think we were supposed to start disliking him when Carrie had her friends over for dinner, but my reaction was just the opposite.  They acted so damn boorish, especially when you consider that they barely knew him.  Samantha can't have a conversation about anything not involving sex?  Steve, who read classic literature and from his bartending/owning experience should be able to read a room, can't think of a pianist other than Billy Joel?   Sorry, if I were him I would have said to Carrie at the end of the night "Wow, I can't believe you voluntarily spend time with these assholes." 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked all three too. I liked Big in season one he was aloof and funny. In the pilot he seemed interesting and the way he answered at the end about love. He also seemed to regret that he messed up with his wife. I hated him after he married Natasha and from then on. Complaining about her and chasing after Carrie. Them ending up together always came off more like by that point they deserved each other. I liked Aiden, he was down to earth, nice and friendly. I liked Aleks too for the same reasons.  I liked him telling her he was busy and when he talked about his friend who died of cancer too. I liked that he was up front about not having anymore children. He was interesting until Paris when they suddenly changed his character. Another thing I liked until Paris was Carrie no longer went running when Big called. 

In many ways it felt like Pre-Paris Aleks had all the qualities in a man she had been seeking all along. He was upfront, funny, intelligent and as I said before didn't bend over backwards. When she pretended to not be herself on the phone I cringed that someone her age with that much life experience who writes a sex column is acting like a twelve year old. 

Forgot to mention Berger earlier. He seemed to share her emotional immaturity and issues. It's a shame they didn't develop that character more because it could've given Carrie the opportunity to show some growth as a character by being someone else's support system. I think the post it note ep is hilarious because she's calling out someone else's immature antics when she's just as bad.

35 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I understand Carrie was worried about Samantha, but I thought she was over the top when she chastised Aleks every time he talked about his friend who died.  He never once said anything negative about  Samantha's chances, he was just relaying his experience as a friend of someone with breast cancer.  And if he didn't say "my friend who died," a natural question to ask would be "How is she doing now?" so the fact that she died would have come out anyway.  

Prior to Paris, I also liked the way he was with Brady, not getting upset when his (I imagine) very expensive vase smashed.  I think we were supposed to start disliking him when Carrie had her friends over for dinner, but my reaction was just the opposite.  They acted so damn boorish, especially when you consider that they barely knew him.  Samantha can't have a conversation about anything not involving sex?  Steve, who read classic literature and from his bartending/owning experience should be able to read a room, can't think of a pianist other than Billy Joel?   Sorry, if I were him I would have said to Carrie at the end of the night "Wow, I can't believe you voluntarily spend time with these assholes." 

Totally! I know she was concerned about Samantha but it was as if someone else's feelings, friendships, losses didn't matter which yeah typical Carrie. But I was shocked how dismissive she was toward his own loss, feelings. Aleks was great with Brady, better than all of them were actually lol He seemed to encompass the great qualities she claimed to be seeking all of the time while dating, complaining about men. Steve ugh it's like the writers went out of their way with that. With his bar experience he would know better. Lol after that dinner I'd question not only why are you friends with those but why am I with you? You acted like an idiot when I asked you out, you're rude and cynical without reason, you don't respect anyone's time or feelings. I could go on lol 

• Love 2

Carrie was always my least favorite of the women.  I think the idea of Carrie didn't match up with the the writing of Carrie.  She was supposed to be the star of their quartet but honestly I thought she was the sidekick.  Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte all had great success when we first met them.  Carrie who had some fame as a sex columnist struggled to pay her bills.  I think we were supposed to find it cute that she had thousands of dollars worth of shoes but had to use credit to buy tomatoes.  I found it irresponsible.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I think we were supposed to find it cute that she had thousands of dollars worth of shoes but had to use credit to buy tomatoes.  I found it irresponsible.

She also went from splurging on shoes to splurging on everything.  For example, when she was seeing Berger but doing the phone sex thing with Big, Big said something about one of her dresses, and she said "The Fendi or the Gucci?"  It's one thing to buy a $400 pair of shoes, but quite another for the clothing that costs many times that.

• Love 4
On 4/20/2019 at 5:59 PM, LemonSoda said:

One of my biggest disappointments was when they broke up Smith and Samantha. They worked so hard to be and stay together. She had to break up with him because she couldn't fool around with the hot neighbor? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

One of my biggest disappointments was when they broke up Smith and Samantha. They worked so hard to be and stay together. She had to break up with him because she couldn't fool around with the hot neighbor? 

And because he bought her that ring she wanted to buy for herself at that auction 🙂

• Love 2
8 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Carrie was always my least favorite of the women.  I think the idea of Carrie didn't match up with the the writing of Carrie.  She was supposed to be the star of their quartet but honestly I thought she was the sidekick.  Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte all had great success when we first met them.  Carrie who had some fame as a sex columnist struggled to pay her bills.  I think we were supposed to find it cute that she had thousands of dollars worth of shoes but had to use credit to buy tomatoes.  I found it irresponsible.

Exactly! It was cute the way the real CB would talk about her shoes but they took the slave to brands thing way too far. I think it would've been very different if they stuck to the original character more like CB. 

Sometimes when writing Carrie made beautiful points, sometimes wrote very poignant things that made my eyes water. I could never imagine the Carrie we were given to be that deep. Not that everyone with deep thoughts need to discuss them or even constantly showcase their intelligence. But I couldn't believe Carrie would even think of these things.

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Erasing all her personal growth and maturity over something so stupid. Bad writing. Even the L.A. situation. With today's technology many agents, industry types skype. She could've lived and worked anywhere. Many actors and agents do. 

2 hours ago, ByTor said:

And because he bought her that ring she wanted to buy for herself at that auction 🙂

What confused me about that is while I got the point of it, in the past Samantha was never shown to be offended by gifts from men that she could afford herself. She had no problem with the rich old man minus the way his body looked, she accepted all the financial perks and gifts of being with Richard. All of the sudden she's upset a man who supported her through cancer bought a ring she wanted for herself that she wanted to buy with her own money she earned as his manager? I don't get it 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, ByTor said:

She was over the top with that. She kept getting mad and interrupting instead of letting Aleks say what he was going to say. He had an experience that he thought might help. Unfortunately, if not breast cancer most of us do have an experience or a few with cancer. I liked hearing what he had to say. And she was so dismissive about his friend. Who does that? 

13 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

In many ways it felt like Pre-Paris Aleks had all the qualities in a man she had been seeking all along. He was upfront, funny, intelligent and as I said before didn't bend over backwards. When she pretended to not be herself on the phone I cringed that someone her age with that much life experience who writes a sex column is acting like a twelve year old. 

Forgot to mention Berger earlier. He seemed to share her emotional immaturity and issues. It's a shame they didn't develop that character more because it could've given Carrie the opportunity to show some growth as a character by being someone else's support system. I think the post it note ep is hilarious because she's calling out someone else's immature antics when she's just as bad.

Totally! I know she was concerned about Samantha but it was as if someone else's feelings, friendships, losses didn't matter which yeah typical Carrie. But I was shocked how dismissive she was toward his own loss, feelings. Aleks was great with Brady, better than all of them were actually lol He seemed to encompass the great qualities she claimed to be seeking all of the time while dating, complaining about men. Steve ugh it's like the writers went out of their way with that. With his bar experience he would know better. Lol after that dinner I'd question not only why are you friends with those but why am I with you? You acted like an idiot when I asked you out, you're rude and cynical without reason, you don't respect anyone's time or feelings. I could go on lol 

Pre-Paris Aleks was perfect. He was exactly what Carrie always said she wanted and honestly what she need. He was a great man, he listened, he was honest and straight forward, he was great with kids, he liked her column, and was nice to her friends. 

Good point about Berger. He was as emotionally mature as she was. Its too bad that she couldn't have realized that and learned from it. It is funny to have her calling out Bergers immaturity even though we have an entire series and two movies full of her immaturity. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

12 hours ago, ByTor said:

She also went from splurging on shoes to splurging on everything.  For example, when she was seeing Berger but doing the phone sex thing with Big, Big said something about one of her dresses, and she said "The Fendi or the Gucci?"  It's one thing to buy a $400 pair of shoes, but quite another for the clothing that costs many times that.

Mine too. The idea of Carrie was interesting. A woman who writes a sex column, and goes to clubs and stuff with her friends and writes about it and the guys they meet, loves labels and shoes. In the beginning she was interesting watching her trying to have sex like a man with no emotions and exploring different ideas and relationships. But what she morphed into was the emotional maturity of a teenager, who did crazy things crazy as in get a restraining order, constantly had to be the center of everything, had to make everything about her, and ended up treating everyone like crap. She never matured, she never learned from her mistakes, she never even acts like she's made any mistakes. Everything that went wrong in relationships, its never her fault. For someone who wrote a sex column she was so uninformed and judgmental. The shopping and shoes was fun. Having it turn out that she blew all of her money on clothes and shoes? How is that sympathetic? She wasn't broke because she lost her job, had a medical problem or expense pop up. She's broke because she blew all her money on shoes. She's a woman in her 30s not some teenager. The second worse part about that is we don't get to see Carrie get herself out of it and start making better decisions. No, we get to see her show up at Charlotte's apartment and go off on her for not offering to loan her any money and badge her into giving up her engagement ring. What about that is great? Wonderful? Nice or likable? Her shock that Aiden and Natasha maybe saying not nice things about her. She actually can't believe the woman who's husband she had an affair with and the guy she cheated on and treated like crap could possibly say anything bad about her. What's great about that? What's sympathetic about that? Or once again likable? And yet she's still treated like and acted like she's center of the universe, the precious snowflake, and everything she does and says is funny, clever, right and the best. She can treat her friends like crap and never worry about losing them. They really turned her character for the worse. Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte each got better over the seasons. Carrie just got worse. And she never got better.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

3 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Exactly! It was cute the way the real CB would talk about her shoes but they took the slave to brands thing way too far. I think it would've been very different if they stuck to the original character more like CB. 

Erasing all her personal growth and maturity over something so stupid. Bad writing. Even the L.A. situation. With today's technology many agents, industry types skype. She could've lived and worked anywhere. Many actors and agents do. 

What confused me about that is while I got the point of it, in the past Samantha was never shown to be offended by gifts from men that she could afford herself. She had no problem with the rich old man minus the way his body looked, she accepted all the financial perks and gifts of being with Richard. All of the sudden she's upset a man who supported her through cancer bought a ring she wanted for herself that she wanted to buy with her own money she earned as his manager? I don't get it 

I hated Samantha and Smith's break up too. They were really great together. Samantha grew so much. He was there for her when she had cancer. He shaved his head for her. I don't understand either why she was upset that he bought her the ring she wanted. She never would have been before. Or why it was such a problem that she worked in LA and traveled to New York given what her job was. Agents travel all the time on behalf of their clients, with clients or looking for new opportunities, etc. Samantha was excellent at her job in the series. That disappeared too. We saw her find Smith and turn him into a star. She had been right the whole time. It was fun to see her do her job and well. It was fun to watch her fall in love. I still love her helping to get the nun into the doctor too. That was the coolest Samantha moment ever.

Sometimes when writing Carrie made beautiful points, sometimes wrote very poignant things that made my eyes water. I could never imagine the Carrie we were given to be that deep. Not that everyone with deep thoughts need to discuss them or even constantly showcase their intelligence. But I couldn't believe Carrie would even think of these things.

Sometimes she really could. But yes it was hard to imagine the Carrie we got could be that deep. She never really came off as that intelligent which is fine. But also she never really ended up having any interests beyond shopping, clothes, and clubs. She never seemed to read beyond poems into anything else. History, mysteries, literature, anything.  I've wondered many times how she managed to get that deep when she never seemed to go beyond her bubble. Which is also odd for a writer. Most read all kinds of stuff and do tons of research even column writers. She didn't seem to have an interest in the world, politics, current events, or anything. Its not a bad thing but it doesn't seem like she'd have much to say to the guys she dated especially Big and Aleks and seems odd given her career choice. She never even thought about writing for anyone else until she was broke. You'd think she would have been trying to write for various magazines and other publications. Or come up with a book idea on her own.

• Love 3

She can treat her friends like crap and never worry about losing them. They really turned her character for the worse. Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte each got better over the seasons. Carrie just got worse. And she never got better.

The selfishness and constant inconsiderate antics on rewatch are so ugh. When Miranda needed help, Carrie could've called one of the other girls or at least told Miranda I have something to do so I'm sending my boyfriend. So many wasted opportunities for character growth. So many wasted opportunities for good storytelling. 

I wish they had kept more of CB in the character of Carrie. CB had a very diverse friend and social group, was scrappy and cared about writing where as Carrie always made it seem like an afterthought. Some elements of the real Big were shown like his interest in cooking but aside from that they messed up his character too.  

I hated Samantha and Smith's break up too. They were really great together. Samantha grew so much. He was there for her when she had cancer. He shaved his head for her. I don't understand either why she was upset that he bought her the ring she wanted. She never would have been before. Or why it was such a problem that she worked in LA and traveled to New York given what her job was. Agents travel all the time on behalf of their clients, with clients or looking for new opportunities, etc. Samantha was excellent at her job in the series. That disappeared too. We saw her find Smith and turn him into a star. She had been right the whole time. It was fun to see her do her job and well. It was fun to watch her fall in love. I still love her helping to get the nun into the doctor too. That was the coolest Samantha moment ever.

Sometimes she really could. But yes it was hard to imagine the Carrie we got could be that deep. She never really came off as that intelligent which is fine. But also she never really ended up having any interests beyond shopping, clothes, and clubs. She never seemed to read beyond poems into anything else. History, mysteries, literature, anything.  I've wondered many times how she managed to get that deep when she never seemed to go beyond her bubble. Which is also odd for a writer. Most read all kinds of stuff and do tons of research even column writers. She didn't seem to have an interest in the world, politics, current events, or anything. Its not a bad thing but it doesn't seem like she'd have much to say to the guys she dated especially Big and Aleks and seems odd given her career choice. She never even thought about writing for anyone else until she was broke. You'd think she would have been trying to write for various magazines and other publications. Or come up with a book idea on her own.

With the Nun was definitely the coolest Samantha moment ever! 

Exactly. I don't want to be broken record annoying but that's something that baffles me. For being a writer, Carrie showed no interests or hobbies that involved anything other than shopping. She didn't seem well read or that she'd have anything interesting to say, contribute to the conversations with the company the type of men she dated tend to keep around. Carrie only seemed to show depth when it was convenient. The real CB wrote for anyone and everyone she could.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

The selfishness and constant inconsiderate antics on rewatch are so ugh. When Miranda needed help, Carrie could've called one of the other girls or at least told Miranda I have something to do so I'm sending my boyfriend. So many wasted opportunities for character growth. So many wasted opportunities for good storytelling. 

I wish they had kept more of CB in the character of Carrie. CB had a very diverse friend and social group, was scrappy and cared about writing where as Carrie always made it seem like an afterthought. Some elements of the real Big were shown like his interest in cooking but aside from that they messed up his character too.  

With the Nun was definitely the coolest Samantha moment ever! 

I wish they had too. That would have made Carrie more interesting. Or at least had her grow like the other three did. They wasted so many opportunities. 

Exactly. I don't want to be broken record annoying but that's something that baffles me. For being a writer, Carrie showed no interests or hobbies that involved anything other than shopping. She didn't seem well read or that she'd have anything interesting to say, contribute to the conversations with the company the type of men she dated tend to keep around. Carrie only seemed to show depth when it was convenient. The real CB wrote for anyone and everyone she could.  

Me too. Most writers have a lot of different interests. Reading different books, different genres, exploring people and places and try new things because their interested in a lot of different things and also to try keep their writing fresh. They love that stuff! That's half the fun of writing. Their constantly on the look for anything new, and interesting to add to their stories or articles or to try a new genre. Its unusual to have one that's not interested in anything else. Carrie really wasn't. Except for the first few episodes we didn't see Carrie really research anything or interview other people. As much as she loves fashion she never once thought about writing for Vogue? Submitting articles to Cosmo? 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Her shock that Aiden and Natasha maybe saying not nice things about her. She actually can't believe the woman who's husband she had an affair with and the guy she cheated on and treated like crap could possibly say anything bad about her.

Or Nina Katz.  Yeah, Nina making that face was rude as hell, but could Carrie just chalk it up to that?  Nope, that's all she talked about.  And her friends listened every single time.  IRL at least one of them would have told her to STFU already!

I still love her helping to get the nun into the doctor too. That was the coolest Samantha moment ever.

Samantha getting that nun to see the doctor and when she took her wig off during the breast cancer speech are tied for my favorite Samantha scenes.

5 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

When Miranda needed help, Carrie could've called one of the other girls or at least told Miranda I have something to do so I'm sending my boyfriend.

I actually always gave Carrie a pass on that.  Carrie did tell Miranda she had a "work thing" (although she should have been more specific that it was a meeting with her boss), and Miranda dropped the phone before Carrie could say she's sending Aiden.  I'm sure this has something to do with the fact that I'm not wild about Miranda either, but I thought she was being awfully dismissive of Carrie's career, since she couldn't imagine that Carrie would have something else to do and not be able to drop everything to help her.

I hated Samantha and Smith's break up too. They were really great together. Samantha grew so much. He was there for her when she had cancer. He shaved his head for her.

The one Smith moment I hated was when he waited for Samantha to finish banging Richard so he could make sure she made it home safe.  And then he had to comfort her because she felt bad.  No way should he have been that much of a pushover.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Or Nina Katz.  Yeah, Nina making that face was rude as hell, but could Carrie just chalk it up to that?  Nope, that's all she talked about.  And her friends listened every single time.  IRL at least one of them would have told her to STFU already!

A normal person would have done just that. Chalked it up and ignored it. Nope not Carrie. She goes on and on and on. Really one of her friends should have told her to shut up. 

Samantha getting that nun to see the doctor and when she took her wig off during the breast cancer speech are tied for my favorite Samantha scenes.

Those were the two best. Samantha was so awesome in both of them

I actually always gave Carrie a pass on that.  Carrie did tell Miranda she had a "work thing" (although she should have been more specific that it was a meeting with her boss), and Miranda dropped the phone before Carrie could say she's sending Aiden.  I'm sure this has something to do with the fact that I'm not wild about Miranda either, but I thought she was being awfully dismissive of Carrie's career, since she couldn't imagine that Carrie would have something else to do and not be able to drop everything to help her.

I give Carrie a pass on that. Although she should have said she had a meeting. But I don't give her a pass for showing up the next day with her bullshit bagels just so she can complain about Aiden AND no cream cheese. That was crap. She couldn't even take a few minutes to ask Miranda how she was doing, how she was feeling and if she needed any help. Or bring the cream cheese.

The one Smith moment I hated was when he waited for Samantha to finish banging Richard so he could make sure she made it home safe.  And then he had to comfort her because she felt bad.  No way should he have been that much of a pushover.

I agree. I hated that he wanted. I hated even more that he ends up comforting her. It should have been the other way around. Smith should have been mad about that.

• Love 3