Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

I loved the Oscar de la Renta dress Carrie wore during the photo shoot, as well as the styling with the red lip and red flower in her hair. They should've had her be sent that one--she looked beautiful, and it had that more classic look she'd talked about associating with Big. The Vivienne Westwood one they went with was too voluminous for my taste, and it sort of looked wrinkly? I didn't get the wow factor. And the bird was dumb. It was just all so overdone.

Agreed on Charlotte's dresses! I especially loved her second one. It was simple and unique.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

And let’s also not pretend that Big jilted her at the altar—he had last minute stage fright about getting married in a big pomp&circumstance wedding...then immediately snapped back into his senses.

How I saw it, Big did jilt her at the altar. She was standing inside waiting for him, (she was late due to traffic) and he said “I am not coming.” That’s being jilted at the altar. If the other person is standing in their wedding attire at the venue and you tell them you are not coming inside and there will be no wedding- that’s clearly “jilting them at the altar” to me. 

Big changing his mind 10min later- maybe he expected her to beg him to change his mind? Maybe he was being an immature baby, I dunno but it was pretty self centered to expect her to just keep standing there. 

23 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Sorry, it takes 2 to tango and after the way Carrie treated Aidan...the wedding fiasco was her karma.  She should have followed her instincts and not accepted his proposal.

I could understand a 20 something being swept up in the wedding, believing he was being sincere and being blindsided.  However, Carrie was a 40 something that had been doing the make up and break up with Big for 10+ years.  Her instincts had told her this would happen and she didn't listen to them.  And don't get me started on her actions in the 2nd movie.

I do think Carrie treated Aiden like crap- and yeah karma is a bitch. Not even just the cheating (she did confess that to him), but the getting back with him, keeping Big around, accepting his proposal when she knew she didn’t want to marry him etc etc. 

Big leaving her at the altar was a bit of that karma but I don’t blame her for being upset. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, HawkeyeLo said:

I loved the Oscar de la Renta dress Carrie wore during the photo shoot, as well as the styling with the red lip and red flower in her hair. They should've had her be sent that one--she looked beautiful, and it had that more classic look she'd talked about associating with Big. The Vivienne Westwood one they went with was too voluminous for my taste, and it sort of looked wrinkly? I didn't get the wow factor. And the bird was dumb. It was just all so overdone.

Agreed on Charlotte's dresses! I especially loved her second one. It was simple and unique.

You mean this one? This was very nice. 

On 1/29/2021 at 11:24 PM, BlueMoon81 said:

I don’t get what Big did “wrong” at the Hamptons party, and never have. I understand Carrie’s feelings of shock and disappointment, but Big didn’t do anything wrong by getting into a relationship with Natasha—he and Carrie were broken up, and they hadn’t even been in contact in at least a couple of months (time for him to go to Paris, his deal to fall through and to meet Natasha). Should he have asked Carrie’s permission to date someone new, before he did?? He didn’t even know Carrie would be at that Hamptons party, and certainly didn’t plan to introduce her to Natasha in that awkward way. This is what I mean about the mythology of the show, in terms of Big. Carrie is the one who broke it off with Big. I get that seeing the ex with a new person is rough (I’ve been there before too), but the ex isn’t to blame for me being uncomfortable with them finding someone new...I am 

No Big didn’t do anything wrong. Your ex not liking you as much as you like them doesn’t make them a horrible human being. I think at the end of the day Carrie was WAY more into Big than he was into her, and in her mind that made him a jerk. I don’t blame Carrie for breaking up with Big before he went to Paris because it was clear the relationship meant way more to her than it did to him and they weren’t on the same page- no point for her to keep investing emotionally in him/them. That doesn’t mean he was forever obligated to be single. 

8E6A7397-0DDE-4ACB-82B9-9F09B13A4AC0.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 1/29/2021 at 5:21 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I remember Miranda feeling guilt over her venting to Big about marriage, etc..leading Big.to ditch Carrie. She confided this to Charlotte, who correctly said that.Big was always weird/hesitant about marriage and it wasn't her fault.  And she was correct in saying not to tell Carrie about it at the time (when they got to Mexico).  I truly think Charlotte was right.

I loved her and Miranda's friendship.

I feel like Miranda confessing to Carrie right as Carrie had her moment of clarity about her role in the wedding fiasco, owning up to getting caught up in the wedding and acting like her “happy ending” should be the big event of the year, is another example of how everyone coddles and enables her. Charlotte was right: even if it wasn’t a good idea to tell your friends that marriage ruins everything the night before the wedding, it wasn’t Miranda’s fault and she shouldn’t have said anything, especially not to absolve Carrie or Big of their mutual narcissism.

Although in fairness to Big he just wanted a simple civil ceremony, which wasn’t unreasonable considering it was his third marriage. And Carrie was fine with it until everyone once again enabled her vanity saying she was entitled to the big wedding of the century.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Although in fairness to Big he just wanted a simple civil ceremony, which wasn’t unreasonable considering it was his third marriage. And Carrie was fine with it until everyone once again enabled her vanity saying she was entitled to the big wedding of the century.

Yes- and if they had both been emotionally mature adults they would’ve discussed that, and maybe met somewhere in the middle. Perhaps fewer people but a traditional ceremony/reception and a chance for Carrie to shine in whatever dress she wanted. Or a private ceremony and a big reception later on. 

But no- neither one actually opened their mouths and talked about what they wanted until the wedding was due to start..... 

I shouldn’t be surprised they ended up together, they were both immature. 

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Charlotte was right: even if it wasn’t a good idea to tell your friends that marriage ruins everything the night before the wedding, it wasn’t Miranda’s fault and she shouldn’t have said anything, especially not to absolve Carrie or Big of their mutual narcissism.

Yup yup she was!

Also- what did Big expect to happen when he told Carrie that he wasn’t coming? Did he expect her to say “Okay, let me go home and change and let’s have lunch?”

Brady was born in 2003, if this revival show sticks to real time- he will be heading off to college. I think it would be interesting to see how Miranda and Steve relate to each other now that their son is grown. Didn’t Chris Noth also say he was done? Would the series have Carrie be a widow?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

^ lol

I thought Charlotte was a really pretty bride. Both times!

574a6130d0eff2a74f6a2db1862140b6.jpg

\

Charlotte looked beautiful in both dresses. I do love Miranda's wedding dress too. She looked really beautiful. Carrie looked great in the Oscar De La Renta dress.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

How I saw it, Big did jilt her at the altar. She was standing inside waiting for him, (she was late due to traffic) and he said “I am not coming.” That’s being jilted at the altar. If the other person is standing in their wedding attire at the venue and you tell them you are not coming inside and there will be no wedding- that’s clearly “jilting them at the altar” to me. 

Big changing his mind 10min later- maybe he expected her to beg him to change his mind? Maybe he was being an immature baby, I dunno but it was pretty self centered to expect her to just keep standing there. 

I do think Carrie treated Aiden like crap- and yeah karma is a bitch. Not even just the cheating (she did confess that to him), but the getting back with him, keeping Big around, accepting his proposal when she knew she didn’t want to marry him etc etc. 

Big leaving her at the altar was a bit of that karma but I don’t blame her for being upset. 

4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes- and if they had both been emotionally mature adults they would’ve discussed that, and maybe met somewhere in the middle. Perhaps fewer people but a traditional ceremony/reception and a chance for Carrie to shine in whatever dress she wanted. Or a private ceremony and a big reception later on. 

But no- neither one actually opened their mouths and talked about what they wanted until the wedding was due to start..... 

I shouldn’t be surprised they ended up together, they were both immature. 

Yup yup she was!

Also- what did Big expect to happen when he told Carrie that he wasn’t coming? Did he expect her to say “Okay, let me go home and change and let’s have lunch?”

All this. Carrie's flaws and mistakes do not excuse what Big pulled. Who more or less says "I can't do this." and then a bit later says "Just kidding sweetheart, let's get hitched!" Carrie could behave crazy, but she had every reason to be an emotional mess over being jilted. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

All this. Carrie's flaws and mistakes do not excuse what Big pulled. Who more or less says "I can't do this." and then a bit later says "Just kidding sweetheart, let's get hitched!" Carrie could behave crazy, but she had every reason to be an emotional mess over being jilted. 

My mom was a bridesmaid at in a wedding where the groom didn’t come- this was the 1960s. A groomsman came in and whispered to the brides’ mom where the women were all gathered in the church, the brides parents took her aside and told her in the priest’s office. The Dad went out and said to the guests “there won’t be a wedding today, please go onto the reception and enjoy the food and drinks- it’s all been paid for”. My mom was 20yrs old and in SHOCK. 

If the bridesmaid can be in shock, I can certainly understand how the bride, standing in her dress, waiting to walk down the aisle can be in shock (even if she’s in her 40s). Big didn’t even get out of the limo and ask to speak to her privately off to the side! He was hiding in the car. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

My mom was a bridesmaid at in a wedding where the groom didn’t come- this was the 1960s. A groomsman came in and whispered to the brides’ mom where the women were all gathered in the church, the brides parents took her aside and told her in the priest’s office. The Dad went out and said to the guests “there won’t be a wedding today, please go onto the reception and enjoy the food and drinks- it’s all been paid for”. My mom was 20yrs old and in SHOCK. 

If the bridesmaid can be in shock, I can certainly understand how the bride, standing in her dress, waiting to walk down the aisle can be in shock (even if she’s in her 40s). Big didn’t even get out of the limo and ask to speak to her privately off to the side! He was hiding in the car. 

Wow, that poor young bride! I haven't been through something like this, but it just sounds like one of the worst experiences to go through. You're shocked, brokenhearted, and humiliated all at once on what is supposed to be such a special, happy, once-in-a-lifetime occasion. If I ever got cold feet just before walking down the alter, I'm going through with the wedding and worrying about it later. Jilting someone is incredibly cruel. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Wow, that poor young bride! I haven't been through something like this, but it just sounds like one of the worst experiences to go through. You're shocked, brokenhearted, and humiliated all at once on what is supposed to be such a special, happy, once-in-a-lifetime occasion. If I ever got cold feet just before walking down the alter, I'm going through with the wedding and worrying about it later. Jilting someone is incredibly cruel. 

Or tell them the day before! Dont let them get dressed and standing at the venue. 

I definitely think a cancelled wedding is better than a divorce. And it takes a lot of gumption to call off an engagement when the invitations had been sent etc, but the allowing them to get dressed in their attire and have them standing waiting for you seems especially cruel to me. 

I don’t think Big wanted to be cruel to Carrie, but he likely had no business being married to anyone because it didn’t occur to him how DEEPLY that would hurt? He couldn’t get out of the limo and ask to speak to her in private? “I’m not coming”- like a pouting child. And then he looked surprised when she hit him with the flowers. I don’t condone violence but I couldn’t really blame her for that one. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Or tell them the day before! Dont let them get dressed and standing at the venue. 

I definitely think a cancelled wedding is better than a divorce. And it takes a lot of gumption to call off an engagement when the invitations had been sent etc, but the allowing them to get dressed in their attire and have them standing waiting for you seems especially cruel to me. 

I don’t think Big wanted to be cruel to Carrie, but he likely had no business being married to anyone because it didn’t occur to him how DEEPLY that would hurt? He couldn’t get out of the limo and ask to speak to her in private? “I’m not coming”- like a pouting child. And then he looked surprised when she hit him with the flowers. I don’t condone violence but I couldn’t really blame her for that one. 

Yes, there is a difference between canceling prior to the wedding, although the more notice, the better. Lots of people break their engagements. Unless there's some extreme circumstance, like you just found out the person you're about to marry had an affair with your best friend, leaving someone you're supposed to love waiting for you at the venue is inexcusable imo. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

Just watching the second episode with Barclay the modeliser who records women while having sex with them... Dark! What a different time. 

That was so creepy. That’s one of my fears with random hookups- cameras filming you ugh. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

That was so creepy. That’s one of my fears with random hookups- cameras filming you ugh. 

Mine too! I love Samantha, but I can't relate to how carefree she was with hookups. There are SO many creepy men out there ladies. We are every bit as entitled to sex as men are, but safety is a legitimate concern. A friend of mine was actually recorded by a man she dated for awhile. She found out from a guy friend who was shown the footage by the creeper ex. My friend did not have the best decision making with men, but she is an intelligent person and had the experience with a guy she did know, not a random from or bar or anything. I know if it could happen to her, it could happen to anyone. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Mine too! I love Samantha, but I can't relate to how carefree she was with hookups. There are SO many creepy men out there ladies. We are every bit as entitled to sex as men are, but safety is a legitimate concern. A friend of mine was actually recorded by a man she dated for awhile. She found out from a guy friend who was shown the footage by the creeper ex. My friend did not have the best decision making with men, but she is an intelligent person and had the experience with a guy she did know, not a random from or bar or anything. I know if it could happen to her, it could happen to anyone. 

That is so creepy OMG eeeewwwwww.

I loved Samantha too-violence can happen to anyone and its never the victims fault, but personal safety is a consideration you have to weigh, especially if you have no way to judge the person's character (you haven't spent a lot of time with them and don't know their social circle etc.). Again sexual assault and violence can happen to ANYONE, but I think it was really unrealistic how cavalier Samantha was going to unknown men's homes- they never even had her discuss safety considerations or her walk about of a situation because of a "bad feeling" or check in with friends etc. I am glad they didnt "punish" Samantha by putting her in a violent situation, but just to pretend it wasnt a thing? Also her never having had a HIV test? That I dont believe at all, she could've gotten one once every 1-3yrs when she went to get her Pap smear/annual exam.

• Love 6

We’ve had Enough Sex and the City 

Her perspective on the show as someone who loves it while recognizing it’s flaws is one that matches mine.  Some shows are so much of their time that they don’t translate well in the present.  Also it drives me crazy that Carrie is so ignorant and prudish about sex when it’s her job to be a sex columnist. 

I still think waiting ten more years and doing a show from the perspective of Brady, Lily, and Rose with a fresh diverse writing team could be interesting.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

Her perspective on the show as someone who loves it while recognizing it’s flaws is one that matches mine.  Some shows are so much of their time that they don’t translate well in the present.  Also it drives me crazy that Carrie is so ignorant and prudish about sex when it’s her job to be a sex columnist. 

The only way they could pull this off is if they have the ladies grow and evolve- as people do they live and gather more experiences. Within the run of the show we saw Charlotte grow and evolve as a person. 

I loved this video. Thank you.

• Love 4
On 1/31/2021 at 6:19 AM, HawkeyeLo said:

That was my favorite out of the two as well. 

• Love 5
On 1/27/2021 at 2:42 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Revival?  That's what they call Will and Grace.  There's other shows that have come back too like Mad About You.  

The Comeback did one season, and then came back ten years later without missing a beat. I wish they’d go to the well again.  The Conners could have been great, but too much emphasis on annoying Sara Gilbert and everyone is still poor and miserable. It’s all about the cast. A great cast is timeless. 

• Love 1
On 1/31/2021 at 7:19 AM, HawkeyeLo said:

Yes, the de la renta was beautiful. The Westwood one had a weird sharp boob area and the bird. It also made her look ancient. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also her never having had a HIV test? That I dont believe at all, she could've gotten one once every 1-3yrs when she went to get her Pap smear/annual exam.

That episode bothered me a lot. It was so poorly written and very unrealistic for a sex-positive person like Samantha to have never had an HIV test, especially considering it was the early 2000s by that point. Charlotte, perhaps I could see, but not Sam. I could only imagine the battles Kim Cattral may have fought on the set for the integrity of her character portrayal.

Even Blanche Devereaux discussed how she would get tested when she’s been with a man, and The Golden Girls was at least 10 years ahead of this show. And certainly far more progressive in its thinking by comparison.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Not4Me said:

That episode bothered me a lot. It was so poorly written and very unrealistic for a sex-positive person like Samantha to have never had an HIV test, especially considering it was the early 2000s by that point. Charlotte, perhaps I could see, but not Sam. I could only imagine the battles Kim Cattral may have fought on the set for the integrity of her character portrayal.

Even Blanche Devereaux discussed how she would get tested when she’s been with a man, and The Golden Girls was at least 10 years ahead of this show. And certainly far more progressive in its thinking by comparison.

Me too. I just don't believe that Samantha never had herself tested. If anything she'd test herself once a year or so. She's never been shown that she doesn't give a crap about her health. She grew up during the AIDs crisis. I really wish they had treated it more like a routine thing.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

We’ve had Enough Sex and the City 

I still think waiting ten more years and doing a show from the perspective of Brady, Lily, and Rose with a fresh diverse writing team could be interesting.   

I have no desire to watch a show about the kids. And People seem  to be criticizing it when it hasn’t even come out. Of course it won’t be the same. The whole point of it was that they had a cast that was magical. I think it will be even better than before, unless they introduce characters just to be woke like the annoying Darlene kid from Roseanne/ Connors. It’s all about chemistry. Seinfeld could reboot today and be great. But of course Jerry Stiller would be missed. 

There have to be people as excited as I am about this. 

49 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

There have to be people as excited as I am about this. 

If I thought it would be done well I would be excited. But the second movie makes me question whether that would even be possible.  The first movie had some really good parts but it also had some parts that really showcased some of the series flaws.  Carrie being coddled and Miranda being made to look like the bad guy just to name two.  I liked Charlottes' story what there was of it.  And now that I know more of the backstage feelings I  understand why Samantha (KC) was off in LA for most of the movie. But the second movie was just a mess.  As most of us posters have said if the show portrays the characters as having evolved over the past 10 years then there might be some good story there. But if it's just going to show them 10 years older and still living the same lives then no I don't have high hopes for it.

• Love 5

If Kim Cattrall was part of it I would be really excited!  Alas, I find SJP really smug about the whole thing, marching on without her (which is totally my own projection).

Obviously I'll watch, but Samantha is just so damn integral to the SATC experience for me.  

If anyone is interested, "Curb Your Enthusiasm" Season 7 was kind of a reboot of "Seinfeld", with a lot of the same cast, and Jerry Stiller did appear.  It was very good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

If Kim Cattrall was part of it I would be really excited!  Alas, I find SJP really smug about the whole thing, marching on without her (which is totally my own projection).

My projection is SJP wants to prove that she was/is the star of the show.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I'm still sad the girls weren't all one big, happy family. I really enjoyed all the characters and all the actresses. I know we've gone over the drama, but I don't remember if we ever got the full scoop of what went on. "Cruel" is a strong word to call someone. I don't think I've seen Cynthia or Kristin say anything about the feud, but they do get along with SJP. Kim's mentioned being older than the other women and not being mothers like the rest, so I can see her possibly not having animosity towards the two other ladies, just no friendship either due to life differences. 

• Love 3

Slide 2 is the real tea!  Slide 21 as well.  Kristin says her part somewhere in there, after Kim refused to do SATC3.  

https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/g17765125/timeline-sarah-jessica-parker-kim-cattrall-sex-and-the-city-feud/?slide=1

Whoop, this one's no longer true!

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 9.42.02 PM.png

Rereading the comments of Jason Lewis licking SJP's boots, now I don't feel so bad about that story I posted.  I even deleted the meaner comments about his appearance because I felt so bad.  LOL!

Kim's comments on Slide 35 are good too.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Slide 2 is the real tea!  Slide 21 as well.  Kristin says her part somewhere in there, after Kim refused to do SATC3.  

https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/g17765125/timeline-sarah-jessica-parker-kim-cattrall-sex-and-the-city-feud/?slide=1

Whoop, this one's no longer true!

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 9.42.02 PM.png

Rereading the comments of Jason Lewis licking SJP's boots, now I don't feel so bad about that story I posted.  I even deleted the meaner comments about his appearance because I felt so bad.  LOL!

Kim's comments on Slide 35 are good too.  

Thanks so much! It's interesting the women sort of say mixed things about being friends and adoring each other, but I know I've had coworkers whom I really cared about and considered friends and wanted to see good in even if we clashed at times. Sometimes you like people more as time passes, but sometimes you see their true colors and realize this person never had your back and was no friend. I've also experienced when someone says how much they consider me a friend and how much they like me, yet they're incredibly cruel. 

Another thing I find interesting is that Cynthia and Kristin apparently didn't like Kim negotiating for more money. Did they both think SJP was the star/producer and how dare Kim expect more than those two? I am also curious about SJP being a cruel person/bully/hypocrite. Those are strong words. Is it because SJP thought she was the star and of course she should get paid more? Is it because SJP is a mean girl in real life? I don't recall SJP ever being publicly cruel or harsh about Kim. I also saw where Kristin said she's the type who'd get food and eat alone in her hotel, and Kim's the type to dress up and go to the hotel restaurant, yet Kim was said to be the one who felt like the outcast on set. 

One reason I thought Kim should be paid more is for all the sex scenes. I'd personally hate doing them, and if I did, I'd sure as heck want more money for it. SJP never did any nudity or anything graphic. I never judged her for this like some people did, because like I said, I wouldn't want to do them either, but I definitely think risqué work should be higher paid. 

A friend of mine thinks SJP resented Kim for being "the hottest" of the characters, and that Kim resented SJP for being the star despite Kim's looks and fame prior to SATC. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I don't think it's ever a good idea to pay some members of an ensemble cast more than one another after the landmark decision of the 6 "Friends" to negotiate together.

However, SJP negotiated exec producer, so that kind of changes things, and the ideal "Friends" harmony could therefore not work on the show.

Kim, Kristin, and Cynthia should have banded together and negotiated more & equal pay - not to SJP - but at LEAST to each other.  Much stronger to band together as a unit, and harder for the producers to say no.

I find it MIND-BOGGLING that Kristin and Cynthia would not like this idea, or the idea of Kim wanting more money (if that is indeed true). MIND-BOGGLING.  I find it terrible when artists or employees in any situation are not paid what they're worth.  In any situation, be it television producers, the network, sports team owners, etc. the corporation is ALWAYS going to make more money than the worker and profit off of them exceedingly.  You can bet in most instances, we are all underpaid for our work.  After SATC became wildly successful in its 2nd or 3rd season (or whatever season - take your pick) I 100% think the women should have all wanted more money and if Kristin and Cynthia didn't then they're insane!

You don't show gratefulness to your employer by refusing to ask to be paid what you're worth, that's just nuts!  Maybe SJP is just that charming as exec. producer that she charmed these women into being grateful for having their jobs and being paid what they were already paid and don't ask for more.... but damn, that would seriously be insane behaviour.  

9 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

A friend of mine thinks SJP resented Kim for being "the hottest" of the characters, and that Kim resented SJP for being the star despite Kim's looks and fame prior to SATC. 

I think that Kim was the breakout star, the fan favourite.  I think it's very realistic that SJP would resent this because I've seen it on happen so many other shows.

I don't know if Kim would resent SJP for having the show based around her, because everyone knew that going in, didn't they?  But if SJP had a hand in not wanting Kim to get paid what she's worth, then of course Kim would resent her for that.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't think it's ever a good idea to pay some members of an ensemble cast more than one another after the landmark decision of the 6 "Friends" to negotiate together.

However, SJP negotiated exec producer, so that kind of changes things, and the ideal "Friends" harmony could therefore not work on the show.

Kim, Kristin, and Cynthia should have banded together and negotiated more & equal pay - not to SJP - but at LEAST to each other.  Much stronger to band together as a unit, and harder for the producers to say no.

I find it MIND-BOGGLING that Kristin and Cynthia would not like this idea, or the idea of Kim wanting more money (if that is indeed true). MIND-BOGGLING.  I find it terrible when artists or employees in any situation are not paid what they're worth.  In any situation, be it television producers, the network, sports team owners, etc. the corporation is ALWAYS going to make more money than the worker and profit off of them exceedingly.  You can bet in most instances, we are all underpaid for our work.  After SATC became wildly successful in its 2nd or 3rd season (or whatever season - take your pick) I 100% think the women should have all wanted more money and if Kristin and Cynthia didn't then they're insane!

You don't show gratefulness to your employer by refusing to ask to be paid what you're worth, that's just nuts!  Maybe SJP is just that charming as exec. producer that she charmed these women into being grateful for having their jobs and being paid what they were already paid and don't ask for more.... but damn, that would seriously be insane behaviour.  

I think that Kim was the breakout star, the fan favourite.  I think it's very realistic that SJP would resent this because I've seen it on happen so many other shows.

I don't know if Kim would resent SJP for having the show based around her, because everyone knew that going in, didn't they?  But if SJP had a hand in not wanting Kim to get paid what she's worth, then of course Kim would resent her for that.

I also never get when people say they don't want more money when they deserve it. I definitely believe in gratitude, but not shortchanging oneself. 

Yeah when I rewatch the show, I realize Kim made me laugh the most too. She has awesome comedic timing. I know a lot of Carrie fans IRL, but definitely a lot of Samantha ones too. Miranda seems to get the least love among my friends. 

Yes, it's really hurtful when you think someone's your friend and has your best interests, but isn't supportive of you. It's also extra annoying when said person is supposed to be a nice girl everyone else loves. If someone isn't all charming and smiley, I don't care. If someone doesn't want me to be paid what I'm worth, I most definitely have a problem. 

• Love 6

Cynthia and Kristin sounded more frustrated that Kim got the extra money not that she asked for it. It sounds like they misplaced their anger of not being paid what they felt the deserved at Kim rather then the powers that be.

They should have banded together, the fact that they didn’t probably shows they weren’t all that close to begin with. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

It sounds like they misplaced their anger of not being paid what they felt the deserved at Kim rather then the powers that be.

I wonder if they were told by penny-pinching execs that Cattrall's raise meant there was no money left for them, and they believed it because exec producer SJP backed it up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Yes, it's really hurtful when you think someone's your friend and has your best interests, but isn't supportive of you. It's also extra annoying when said person is supposed to be a nice girl everyone else loves. If someone isn't all charming and smiley, I don't care. If someone doesn't want me to be paid what I'm worth, I most definitely have a problem. 

There is truth there.  SJP had a reputation for being nice.  Not divaish at all. The surrogate who carried her twins lives in a town about 20 miles from where I live. When she delivered the babies at a local hospital it was reported that SJP and her husband Matthew Broderick simply arrived at the hospital and asked to see the surrogate. Very low key. No press. Just a normal couple there to get their newborns.  However I do think SJP thought she was the star of the show (and to be fair that was how SATC started and how HBO continued to promote it and SJP was submitted for awards as lead and the other three were considered supporting) and maybe didn't like Kim getting so much attention.  Actors are notorious for having big egos and big insecurities.  Another thing is Kim didn't build her life around SATC.  For her it was a job. But I think SJP wants to continue to be Carrie Bradshaw whether it's onscreen or off.  She is so identified with the role and I think she enjoys that.  When I see her in a role in something she filmed after SATC she always seems to be playing some version of Carrie.  She doesn't seem to have any interest in moving  beyond Carrie Bradshaw.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

But I think SJP wants to continue to be Carrie Bradshaw whether it's onscreen or off.  She is so identified with the role and I think she enjoys that.  When I see her in a role in something she filmed after SATC she always seems to be playing some version of Carrie.  She doesn't seem to have any interest in moving  beyond Carrie Bradshaw.

That's very true.  SJP has been posting Instagrams as "Carrie" since the last movie, promoting her shoe line, etc.  She never stops being "Carrie".

As soon as she got Exec Producer she got to tailor the show to exactly her preferences, I guess.  The show and her are kind of one and the same.  Maybe Kim trying to negotiate for more power, title, money etc. offends SJP because it's "hers".  And she didn't want to let Kim get too big!

A whole bunch of cast members on "The Office" negotiated producer titles, so I don't know why the women of SATC shouldn't try to do the same.  I don't begrudge Kim for wanting more.  People were obsessed with her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's very true.  SJP has been posting Instagrams as "Carrie" since the last movie, promoting her shoe line, etc.  She never stops being "Carrie".

It's ironic that the real life Carrie Candace Bushnell has moved on and the pretend Carrie has not moved on. I understand that Carrie Bradshaw was a role of a lifetime.  It turned SJP who up to that point had been an actress more known for boyfriends than her roles into a whole other league.  It turned her into a fashion icon.  It afforded her opportunities she probably would not have had otherwise.  So good for her.   But as much as I loved the show I just don't really have any interest in seeing Carrie Bradshaw anymore unless she has shown real growth.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I act as a hobby, and now and then I even feel deeply connected to some characters, even roles I studied but never got to play. For me it tends to be characters I relate to some way, those who had a vulnerability to them, not sure if that’s SJP. It’s definitely a unique experience playing such an iconic character for several years, on one of the biggest shows of all time. I’m sure Carrie will always be a part of SJP, even if for the reason it changed her life and made her a superstar, maybe not necessarily falling in love with a character. It also looked like a really freaking fun show to film, so I’m sure even if there was drama, doing the series would be a highlight of your life and hard to let go. Getting to be a single lady living it up in NYC, wearing all these designer clothes, all the glamour, good times, events. dates and friends, I think a lot of girls wanted to grow up to be Carrie. I guess I’d have a hard time letting Carrie go too. The end of an era can be pretty hard when it was really awesome. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah that's understandable but you would think that would make her more sympathetic towards Kim's desires to be compensated fairly, not less.

Oh yes, I totally think Kim should have been compensated fairly. My post was more about understanding SJP having a hard time letting SATC/Carrie Bradshaw go. I'd probably struggle moving on too. I struggle moving on from the show as a fan. haha

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Oh yes, I totally think Kim should have been compensated fairly. My post was more about understanding SJP having a hard time letting SATC/Carrie Bradshaw go. I'd probably struggle moving on too. I struggle moving on from the show as a fan. haha

Me too.  I'm really sad that Kim won't be part of this.  I don't begrudge her any decisions, but just as a fan, that part will suck.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'd probably struggle moving on too. I struggle moving on from the show as a fan. haha

As I have said many times I absolutely loved the show but the movies IMO were just not up to par.  Carrie was always my least favorite character and I fear the revival will have her center stage with some B plots thrown to Charlotte and Miranda.  It is very difficult to continue a show build around four women when one of the women leaves.  Golden Girls (which became the Golden Palace) failed after Dorothy left. And Designing Women while it went on for two seasons after Suzanne and Charlene left it wasn't even close to being as good as it was with them there.  And as I keep asking are they going to show the reality of being women in their fifties?  There is menopause and everything that comes with it.  There is the realization you aren't 25 anymore.  Since Chris Noth  has said he doesn't want to be a part of it does that mean Carrie is single? And if she is does she date older or younger? Miranda and Steve will be facing an empty nest. Lots of couples divorce after the kids leave because then they have nothing in common anymore. I hope they keep Charlotte and Harry happy.  Realistically I think that is the couple that would still be going strong after 15 years.  

9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm really sad that Kim won't be part of this.

My question is will they address her absence?  Are they going to casually mention Samantha is living in Europe or will they just ignore the elephant that isn't in the room?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Golden Girls (which became the Golden Palace) failed after Dorothy left.

That's so funny, I've been watching GG and GP every night lately!  I quite enjoy The Golden Palace!  But yeah, it was a huge failure unfortunately.

1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

There is the realization you aren't 25 anymore. 

The women were never 25 on SATC 😄  Carrie is in her early 30s when Sex and the City starts.  Remember, she's 38 in the episode "Catch 38" in Season 6.

• Useful 2
11 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's so funny, I've been watching GG and GP every night lately!  I quite enjoy The Golden Palace!  But yeah, it was a huge failure unfortunately.

The women were never 25 on SATC 😄  Carrie is in her early 30s when Sex and the City starts.  Remember, she's 38 in the episode "Catch 38" in Season 6.

I used 25 because I know for me personally up until I hit 50 I mentally thought I was 25.  Our bodies age a lot quicker than our minds.

Recently a friend posted a meme that said something about our parents and another friend said I don't think that about my parents and the friend that posted the meme said no we are the parents.  LOL

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1

“In S2 they started pulling away from her version of Carrie and creating their own. I wish they would’ve kept some of CB’s Carrie in.”

“Carrie made me nuts in the series because she was so damn self absorbed and clueless, plus she was treated like this rareand magical unicorn, and that got tiresome.”

Ugh, this bugs me too. Almost everyone she met fawns over how beautiful she is, how her sex column was the most fantastic column EVER and how people even used it as their bible...ugh. Lady Bradshaw of the Bullshit Bagels was definitely the Donna Martin of the show.

• Love 5

“And Carrie realizes he was just unable to give what she wanted to her but was able to give it to this stick figure with no soul.”

I think in hindsight the real idiot stick figure with no soul was Carrie.

• Love 5

Don't know if this was posted before (it's from 2016) but apparently Darren Star wasn't a fan of how the show ended.

Another interesting tidbit from the interview, which was news to me?

"Star also revealed Lisa Edelstein, currently starring on Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce was next in line to play Carrie Bradshaw if Parker had passed on the role."

• Useful 3
7 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Don't know if this was posted before (it's from 2016) but apparently Darren Star wasn't a fan of how the show ended.

"Star also revealed Lisa Edelstein, currently starring on Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce was next in line to play Carrie Bradshaw if Parker had passed on the role."

Interesting! I'm curious how the show would have been with different actors. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I knew that. I think I read it in one of the SATC books that came out a couple years ago.

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Interesting! I'm curious how the show would have been with different actors. 

Well one thing is I don't think Carrie would have been a screecher. I like Lisa Edelstein. In her hands Carrie would have been more mature and I think would have had more of an edge.  If they had cast her I don't know if Cynthia Nixon would have worked as Miranda. They would have seemed too similar.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4