Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E26: Mini Mayhem

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

OK, the Paul-LA thing was weird, but there was an even odder moment that made me scratch my head.  When Brynn was giving her "mini" a pep talk before their number, she asked mini who her favorite star was.  The kid (can't remember her name, but she's one of the "-anna's") said, "Selena".

Brynn: "Oh, Selena Gomez?"

Mini: "No, just Selena.  The person who killed her is named Yolanda.  That's my mom's name, so..." 

Brynn: .......um........

What the Hell is that about???? First of all, the 7 year old is comparing her mom to a psycho stalker killer, and herself to a young superstar who was gunned down. Second, Selena was murdered in 1995, 14 years before this -anna walked the Earth.  Why would she know about that sad tragedy?  What kind of mother is Yolanda if her daughter associates her with a deranged, desperate to be famous hanger-on...oh wait.  Never mind, now I see it, mini -anna.  Only 8 or 9 more years before you can file for emancipation, so good luck riding out the wave of crazy!

Jess looks more cartoon-y every week, and now she's encouraging Bow-Bow JoJo to do the same with her "character" Paul-LA.  Maybe Jess and JoJo should look into theater-based studios.  I think JoJo is a better actor than dancer and her mother should let her concentrate on that instead.

When did Kira turn into a full-on basket case?  Every week with the shoving and shrieking...is there a Nanny on site to care for her baby so he doesn't have to deal with her rage-o-holic episodes?  Kalani is such a pretty dancer and I wish she could do more age appropriate dances rather than Abby's ABC-123 choreography.

I see Kendall is still sucking lemons before she appears on camera.  Jill is doing that kid a big disservice by making her continue this farce.

• Love 2

I think I crossed a bridge with this episode.  I found myself rooting for the minis, and mostly taking the mini mom's side.  I usually tolerate Jill pretty well, but I'm getting increasingly irritated.  I praised Jess for stepping up two weeks ago, but I can't look at that smug stink face anymore.  Jess needs to realize that besides Brynn, JoJo is the newest dancer.  In fact, none of the kids are original, except for Nia.  Holly got down in the mud with the other mom's a few years again.  And I've never liked Kira - she's mean, lacks impulse control, and seems to have an anger issue.  I suspect Kalani runs that household, and that's why she's always been so mature.  How she's managed to stay sweet and kind with that harpy for a mother, I'm not sure.  But I bet she's a mother to her brothers.

Now I'm not necessarily liking the mini moms - requesting their makeup be done was OOT.  And I have a VERY hard time believing they don't know how to the minis' hair and makeup, which they've been doing all along.  And yeah, some of those moms need to tone down their makeup, but they're still knew at applying makeup for on camera.  The elite moms have been doing their makeup for years, and with the exceptions of Holly and Ashley, they're not doing too hot.

And either Abby's had a lobotomy, is on massive tranquilizers, or is completely checked out.  She's strangely had no problem with many things she usually freaks out about.  And it was ridiculous to criticize Elli for crying in the wings.  Perfect precious Maddie cried quite a few times in the wings.  Not to mention shoving her sister - hard - in the wings, out of anger.  And Maddie was older than eight.

• Love 4

I'm ashamed that I know this... Ok so the Paul-la thing... Is Jojo's alter ego on YouTube. It's kinda a "thing" these people on YouTube (or Youtubers as they call themselves)do. One of the more popular examples is Miranda Sings, who is played by Colleen Ballinger. I've never watched Jojo, it doesn't seem funny to me but to each their own I guess.

Who gives a shit about these "solos" done in abandoned school auditoriums weekend after weekend? They go to one of these dubiously-sponsored competitions every week. Like, beyond the worthless trophy/title they always seem to win, what is the point to this? Just go to auditions. 

Jessalyn's picture should be next to the phrase "lipstick on a pig." Ain't no amount of makeover in that shotgun to distract from that face, dear. Pau-La. it completely tracks that these dizzy broads think such an insipid display is the height of creativity. Obnoxious, trying too hard, dimly educated, untalented, speech impeded. Seems fairly close to Jojo. What an actress. 

The mini-moms look like what got caught on a rake when dragging the bad side of a nowhere town for fools. 

Nia and Kendall and their hideous beast mothers are just sad now. To push their awkwardly smiling, perpetually nervous in front of sixty people spawn to compete with talent on an international level is cruel. Of course they don't have any self-esteem! How could they?

And the moms just don't have a second to help with make-up but sure seem to sit around and bitch a lot. 

Is it normal for parents to just sit and watch their kids rehearse? Seems weird to me.

• Love 4

Yep, its not unusual to find parents just hanging out waiting for their kids to finish rehearsing. Its also not unusual to find some that drop their kids off and come back a couple of hours later. It depends on a lot of things (atmosphere and facilities at school, the location, etc.). Where I live lots of families transport by public transit, so its not unusual for the parents of the younger kids to just hang out and wait for them. Usually kids start self-transporting between 10-14 and then its pretty unusual to see more than 1-2 parents hanging out waiting for class to end, especially on the weekends when parents have other things they can/want to do. 

• Love 1

The "elite team" moms have zero self awareness as usual. I rolled my eyes at them complaining about the mini moms arguing amongst themselves. Really? Because they are so above that? Also they need to not act like their daughters are above dancing with the minis. An advanced dancer dances with anyone, even a beginner, without worrying about how they look or what they "win" at a fake competition. There is plenty to be learned by leading a younger dancer in a duet. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

... Now I'm not necessarily liking the mini moms - requesting their makeup be done was OOT.  And I have a VERY hard time believing they don't know how to the minis' hair and makeup, which they've been doing all along....

Should they have asked for a kind of "sample" (not even the full make-up, only on the left eye area, for instance. ETA : on only one mini !) in order to let them replicate, things would have been probably different... But not "Dance Moms Reality-TV" standard worthy, I guess...

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 1

The moms are ruining this season. All the show is now is about crazy demented mothers. What a bunch of bitter and nasty women. All contradicting hypocrites. The way they tear down and talk about each other kids is gross. More dancing and the girls, less of these awful mothers. Watching these primadonna hags quarrel over petty crap is getting boring.

That Paul-La whatever crap was so cringeworthy. What was that duet even about? Elliana not only deserved better, but she carried that shitty duet. Ashlee was right that duet was dumb down for JoJo. Elliana is an amazing dancer.

Is there a way to get rid of Jill or put a muzzle on her mouth. I hate this woman more and more with ever episode.

Pyramid made no sense. Nia on top?? Why? And JoJo second? Brynn and Kalani at the bottom. What a bunch of crap!

Kira is psychotic looney. What an angry, erratic woman. Get some anger management lady. Go back to being mute.

That obnoxious wannabe cow Jessalyn is the last person who should be telling somebody else to grow. Very annoying and childish woman who instigates every little  thing to stir up arguments and fights. This bitch acting like she's the queen bee now that Melissa left the throne.

Spoiler

I can wait until she and JoJo leave in two weeks.

They both immature and annoying. JoJo is the worst dancer on the elite team. JoJo can out dance Brynn???? Bitch please.... JoJo is a terrible dancer. Jessalyn is about as delusional as Jill about their daughters talent.

Spoiler

according to spoilers for next week's episode JoJo get's a solo and doesn't even place. LMFAO!!!! Can't wait to see Jessalyn's reaction.

I can't even get excited over the Elites group dances because I've seen this for YEARS. Can they try some new choreography? How was this no different than last weeks group dance or the Prince dance. The group dances were much more exciting and creative back in the first 3 seasons. Now they're just blah..... I'm glad it got 5th place. 

I'm over the name dropping of Maddie every minute. Give a fucking break already!

Edited by Drogo
Added spoiler tags.
  • Love 2

All these moms suck. I don't know why I watch.

What was with the Elite's lifting their dresses up during the dance? They did it twice and it looked really odd to me. And were they supposed to be Dorothy from Wizard of Oz?

I thought Brynn and the mini's dance was better than JoJo's, but I don't think Brynn sold the story Abby described at the beginning. It is funny that Ashley always complains about Brynn not being challenged, when Abby says how she gives Brynn dark characters to challenge her. 

I think the elite moms were really bitchy when the mini mom asked about the make up. I agree it was ridiculous for the mini moms to expect the girls to do it. I can understanding asking one of the elite moms to come give them tips or something, but asking the girls to stop prepping their dance was annoying. However, the elite moms could have been nicer about it.  

That part was obviously staged though. Those minis all had good make and all looked in sync. There's no way their moms have never used that kind of make up before.

• Love 1

So the mom's are completely aware of how ridiculous and hypocritical they are? "You guys always fight why aren't you like us who never fight among our team?!?!!" "Why do you guys care so much about yourself and not about the team!!!" Later: "WHAATTT how dare those duets only have the chance for a solo and not my daughter?!?!!?"

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, DoctorWhovian said:

So the mom's are completely aware of how ridiculous and hypocritical they are? "You guys always fight why aren't you like us who never fight among our team?!?!!" "Why do you guys care so much about yourself and not about the team!!!" Later: "WHAATTT how dare those duets only have the chance for a solo and not my daughter?!?!!?"

I forgot that part....when Abby separated out the duets in the dressing rooms, the remaining elite moms and the mini moms were on the same page bitching about the others. Nothing bonds people more than shared anger at someone.

4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

All these moms suck. I don't know why I watch.

What was with the Elite's lifting their dresses up during the dance? They did it twice and it looked really odd to me. And were they supposed to be Dorothy from Wizard of Oz?

I thought Brynn and the mini's dance was better than JoJo's, but I don't think Brynn sold the story Abby described at the beginning. It is funny that Ashley always complains about Brynn not being challenged, when Abby says how she gives Brynn dark characters to challenge her. 

I think the elite moms were really bitchy when the mini mom asked about the make up. I agree it was ridiculous for the mini moms to expect the girls to do it. I can understanding asking one of the elite moms to come give them tips or something, but asking the girls to stop prepping their dance was annoying. However, the elite moms could have been nicer about it.  

That part was obviously staged though. Those minis all had good make and all looked in sync. There's no way their moms have never used that kind of make up before.

I thought they exposed their underwear three to four times.  And they supposedly choreographed it themselves?

Regarding Brynn and dark characters, I wonder if Abby's thinking of Chloe and how she excelled with the dark stories.  Difference is, Abby seems to love Brynn.  Although I suspect Abby treats her well to agitate the other elite moms. 

And it's still Jill and Jessa acting like they've always been around, and that they didn't have the same issues as Ashley is now from the other moms. But that's why hazing continues right? "It happened to be me, I hated it and asked for it to stop, but now that it's not happening and someone new is here that i can do it to, why not?"

• Love 4

The thread wasn't open yesterday when I came here - but most have already posted my sentiments exactly. I do think Brynn and Lilly's dance was far superior to Jojo and Ellianna's. Elliana is a wonderful dancer but I just can't get into her - I don't know why.

The elite dance - I thought I saw those dresses before - but I didn't even understand the dance - so beautiful and refined one minute then they looked like they were going to a ho down the next. I thought the minis were awesome and think it's a mistake for them to leave the show. Although I don't like the moms - I do enjoy the girls and would like to see them grow.

• Love 1

The reason this team came in 5th and won't score higher than that in a real competition is that they are officially behind the curve. They used to be a group of above average minis in Pittsburgh, a B level market at best. But now they are a very ordinary group of juniors/teens in LA and there is absolutely nothing special about them as a group. If you took the best team in this age group from every comp studio in SoCal and they wouldn't be in the top 500.

Of the girls who are left, I think Kalani is the total package. She has technique, grace, and artistry. Next on the pyramid is Brynn, who has beautiful technique and just needs time to mature. Third, believe it or not, is Nia. She will never be one of these posy leg extension dancers, but that's okay. There is very little call for that in the professional world. She is doing better at blending in and is a good workhorse. Next is JoJo, who is continuing to improve but right now is average. Last by a lot is Kendall. Ugh, her hunched shoulders, enormous clumsy feet,and vacuous expression make me cringe. She always looks like she is going from move to move with no connection or flow. I guess she proves that if you put in enough hours, you can learn some tricks, but I just have no interest in watching her.

Someone please explain to be how last week's canceled walker dance was boycotted for not being serious enough for competition but this stupid Paul-la dance was received so enthusiastically.

So the group dance was "End of the Road" and they wore Dorothy costumes so was the original music Yellow Brick Road related? The underwear thing bugged me and after the first few times was distracting. Again, a very ordinary dance.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Law Mom said:

The reason this team came in 5th and won't score higher than that in a real competition is that they are officially behind the curve. They used to be a group of above average minis in Pittsburgh, a B level market at best. But now they are a very ordinary group of juniors/teens in LA and there is absolutely nothing special about them as a group. If you took the best team in this age group from every comp studio in SoCal and they wouldn't be in the top 500.

I've been singing that song since episode one.

I could find no innocent reason for a group of teens lifting their skirts to expose what was underneath.  It seemed so random and useless and no relevance to the rest of the dance.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 3

JoJo was royally shown up by her mini partner. And how can these mums moan on and on about how they "shouldn't be dancing with minis" after they tore apart Kaylee Quinn (who is far superior to JoJo talent-wise) for looking vaguely put out by the same thing? 

JoJo's technique is awful. She honestly dances the EXACT same way as my 10 year old daughter who takes 3 hrs of dance a week recreationally and is considered just 'fairly good' in our average dance school. JoJo's mother is a dance teacher and she supposedly dances 7 days a week... she should be far better than this. She doesn't even perform/hit it the way she used to... not in a way that's above average. She is a recreational dancer through and through. 

I am so disappointed that they've decided to axe those minis, I'm finding them so much more enjoyable than the teens. I notice they're really promoting them at the moment on Facebook etc... why, when they're going to be gone in a couple of months? Honestly I think they're the best thing that's happened to the show for several seasons, finally some new life. Ugh, oh well. We'll have to keep watching Kendall it seems.......

• Love 4

I am just a casual viewer of this show, and I just watched this episode.  The moms are disgusting!  How can this show be good for ALDC? I would never take my kid there, if she were a dancer, to be treated bad and to subject myself to the catty moms.  Ick. 

The girls themselves seem to be sweet.  I think that is wonderful.  Don't be like the moms! What an embarrassment! 

I also thought the skirt lifting in the group dance was inappropriate,and unnecessary.