Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Episode 3

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I won't lie; I got emotional with the reunion between Ross and Francis. Seeing Francis happy and hopeful, and Elizabeth happy with him, made me happy. But Ross -- I don't think I've liked him less. That pass at Elizabeth felt out of left field -- what, because she isn't pining for him? He's been a jerk to Demelza, and his concession at the end about the baby didn't redeem him, yet anyway. I understand that he's got various worries, but why has he stopped considering her? He used to discuss things, and now he's back to issuing edicts and calling her a scullery maid. Not to mention accusing her of interest in the soldier and basically not caring enough to do anything but leave her alone with him. Kind of wanted to punch him.

• Love 11

At least this episode finally pulled in the community of people around the Poldarks and focused -- at least a bit -- on them all. However, it is missing the richness of the previous series which had been doing that all along. Because this one hasn't been doing that, I could barely remember that Capt. McNeill ever was in the show. So, I thought Ross' comment to Demelza about the Captain's attraction was out of left field. Furthermore, where has it been shown that Demelza had any expertise with cows? They never set that up because they left the scenes out where Demelza previously meets the Bodrugans and advises them on their cow's ailment. McNeill's admiration and Bodrugan's lechery are two factors that kind of play against Ross still mooning over Elizabeth but it's harder to see that when they leave things out.

Speaking of Elizabeth, she's much more sympathetic here, such that I wouldn' t be surprised if some are rooting for Ross and Elizabeth.

I did like the scenes with Caroline and Dwight. And, they did put a little comedic twist to Jud's "death" and Prudie's mourning. However, it would've been funnier if they played the latter it a bit broader.

ETA: If some of these comments lead this message to be better placed in another thread, please let me know. It's just difficult to discuss this episode's problems without discussing previous manifestations of the story.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 3

Hilarious recap.

Francis is owning this season.  He may be the best actor on the set.   I loved his joke to his little boy about being blinded by the Warleggan livery.

Thank heavens Jud was just resting! When I thought he was dead I was all, "Not right, not fittin', not proper!" He's been my favorite comic relief   since he played Smallweed in "Bleak House."  I believe I was more bereft than Prudie.  I would love to have seen the moment he walked into the pub and everyone ran screaming.

I hate all the lecherous toffs thinking they can come on to Demelza because of her background.  I also hate Ross for drooling and looming over Elizabeth.  Nice way to act the first time you're back in their house, Ross.  Not to mention stabbing Demelza in her two most vulnerable places, Elizabeth and "scullery maid."  That last part wasn't just sexual cheating behavior it was deeply disloyal in a different way. I'll have a hard time forgiving this.

It's a rare episode that makes me like George better than Ross.  George was mighty pretty in his ruffled boxing shirt.

• Love 11

I can't stand Ross mooning over Elizabeth, ugh, she's not even that pretty; Demelza is like a million times cuter and she's a real "ride or die" woman.

I can't stand George either; I'd love it if he fell hard for some empty headed heiress who drains his bank account by making him spend all his money on her, and then she leaves him for a wealthier man.  George is just such a slimeball. 

• Love 1

Hilarious recap.

Francis is owning this season.  He may be the best actor on the set.   I loved his joke to his little boy about being blinded by the Warleggan livery.

Thank heavens Jud was just resting! When I thought he was dead I was all, "Not right, not fittin', not proper!" He's been my favorite comic relief   since he played Smallweed in "Bleak House."  I believe I was more bereft than Prudie.  I would love to have seen the moment he walked into the pub and everyone ran screaming.

I hate all the lecherous toffs thinking they can come on to Demelza because of her background.  I also hate Ross for drooling and looming over Elizabeth.  Nice way to act the first time you're back in their house, Ross.  Not to mention stabbing Demelza in her two most vulnerable places, Elizabeth and "scullery maid."  That last part wasn't just sexual cheating behavior it was deeply disloyal in a different way. I'll have a hard time forgiving this.

It's a rare episode that makes me like George better than Ross.  George was mighty pretty in his ruffled boxing shirt.

Word. Ross was pretty much the worst in that scene with Elizabeth. After all that he & Demelza have been through, it felt like a huge betrayal. I was hoping that she was going to confront him (hopefully by quoting his "scullery maid" comment back to him) when they spoke afterwards.

• Love 5

Yes that's why I said in the previous thread that 'this' Ross doesn't make sense and for me the season is a bit incoherent because of this ( as it's so centered on Ross the character). Filling out the blanks with the books helps.  

• Love 1

Overall I really liked this episode.  It was nice to see Francis in a happy mood.  I really felt for Demelza.   Ross was pretty cold.  I wish he would have known that Demelza overhead him and Elizabeth.

Every time I see the doctor I think for a second that it's Matthew Crawley.  And every time I see Caroline's uncle I think why is Tom Barnaby wearing that awful wig.

• Love 4

So who the heck is McNeill?  Was he a soldier with Ross in America? What's his connection to this show?  I have no recollection of this guy but apparently I am supposed to.  

I really don't like Caroline and her 'poor little rich girl' self pity.  Yes, I know women had no choice over their relationships or their financial futures, and it would suck to be stuck with Unwin,but I don't want her to end up with the doctor.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I don't want her to end up with the doctor.

I must woot-woot for any woman working to grab herself a molecule of agency.

This was not a good look for Ross, especially to people like me who only met the man last week.  Unfairly slut-shaming his wife for flirting, then:  hellooo there.

• Love 4

I felt like this was some twilight zone/opposite day episode:

• Francis is just so happy and enjoying life. Watching him play with his son was adorable. But he still worries me. 
  • Ross had too much to drink and was google-eyeing Elizabeth hard. He was also ignoring and disregarding Demelza.
  • Demelza was incredibly moody (and not in her usual fiery-spirit way). The reasons why are obvious though with al the crap she was dealing with.
  • George is learning how to box and I think it looks hilarious. He looks so awkward it's kind of adorable.
  • George's henchman Tankard is beginning to out-evil George by trying to straight-up murder Jud. He even has his own henchman now. 
  • Speaking of Jud, how is he still alive? He got nailed in the head and kicked viciously (it sounded like his bones were breaking). He should have several broken bones. But instead he's running around looking like a ghost. I actually would have been fine if he stayed dead.
  • i like the miners/servants as the cute/funny group they are when they hang out together. The wake/burial stuff was cute.
  • elizabeth still a queen
  • everything was darkly lit 
  • Love 2

The scenes with Jud and Prudie are hilarious. They do provide comic relief.

Francis has been finally acting like a decent person to his wife after making her miserable for years, drinking and going to houses of ill repute. His sudden change of behavior has made everyone happy. 

Ross was really terrible to Demelza. And then hitting on Elizabeth.

Don't care for Caroline, but I loved Horace!

• Love 3

I posted this yesterday in the wrong thread so I'm just dropping it here without having read other comments:

I just watched and boy, did I dislike Ross!  What a dirtbag!  And yuck! IMO Delmeza is way > Elizabeth.  So he's an idiot.  LOVE Francis.  Please let him stay happy!  

And I am not spoiled or a book reader, but is the entire show always about Warleggan after Poldark?  Because that's getting old quick.  I don't know if I can watch even for Aidan Turner if that's the entire story. 

• Love 3

I can't stand Ross mooning over Elizabeth, ugh, she's not even that pretty; Demelza is like a million times cuter and she's a real "ride or die" woman.

Actually, I believe both Heida Reed and Eleanor Tomlinson are very good-looking in their own way.  I find it hard to choose one over the other on who was the prettiest.

Edited by CTrent29

I'm not just sure where to put this but maybe here is as good as anywhere else.  Can someone tell me where and when Demelza learned to play the piano?  I highly doubt that was a skill she had before she met Ross.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Gizkok said:

I'm not just sure where to put this but maybe here is as good as anywhere else.  Can someone tell me where and when Demelza learned to play the piano?  I highly doubt that was a skill she had before she met Ross.

I'm not sure if the show has really delved into this, but I don't think it would class as a book spoiler to say that in the novels, she teaches herself up to a certain point - she finds an old spinnet tucked away in a corner of the library at Nampara and playing with it in stolen moments becomes one of her secret pleasures, during her kitchen maid years (in the book it is four years between Demelza coming to Nampara as a maid and marrying Ross to become mistress of the house). She is naturally musical - starts out by just playing with the notes to hear the sounds they make, then progresses to being able to pick out simple tunes, all by trial and error. After her marriage to Ross, the spinnet is moved into the parlour and Demelza is free to play to her heart's content. Later, when Ross's fortunes have improved, he pays an instructor to visit regularly so that she can have proper lessons and learn how to read sheet music. I think in betweentimes he gets her a beginner's primer, or something of the sort, as a Christmas present one year, to help her continue teaching herself (she also learns to read and write after coming to Nampara, largely self-taught with a bit of input from Ross). Basically, Demelza learning to play the spinnet is an ongoing part of her character journey in the novels!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2