Type keyword(s) to search

HM Queen Victoria In The Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Thanks for the forum Silverstormm!

Since no discussion has started here so far... What would be a good place for informative recaps/reviews/comments about the series? I'm looking for something that would tell me if real-life Victoria really did call Lord Melbourne "Lord M", for example, but not spoil me about what's coming... I'm basically looking for Vanity Fair's OJ Simpson v. the People fact-checking articles, Monarchy edition!

I tried googling a bit, but as five episodes have aired already while I have only seen the pilot, even seeing titles was a bit spoilery...

I'm welcoming suggestions! :)

Edited by GinnyMars
  • Love 1

Just a bit of a quibble, the King or Queen are always his/her majesty, HRH is reserved for other members of the royal family who aren't the monarch. 

On 9/22/2016 at 5:31 PM, GinnyMars said:

Thanks for the forum Silverstormm!

Since no discussion has started here so far... What would be a good place for informative recaps/reviews/comments about the series? I'm looking for something that would tell me if real-life Victoria really did call Lord Melbourne "Lord M", for example, but not spoil me about what's coming... I'm basically looking for Vanity Fair's OJ Simpson v. the People fact-checking articles, Monarchy edition!

I tried googling a bit, but as five episodes have aired already while I have only seen the pilot, even seeing titles was a bit spoilery...

I'm welcoming suggestions! :)

That would be really interesting, but I don't think there are any articles like that. However, Victoria's diaries are all on this website, so it might be really fun to follow along that way! You can browse the journals by date, and since most of them are written in Victoria's hand, you'll be following along without getting spoilt. 

And for the record, Victoria did call Melbourne Lord M

Edited by doesntworkonwood
  • Love 2

Thanks, dwow!

I also found this, a summary that has the right names and dates plus pretty screencaps, and this blog, but neither tells you anything about the real events. The comments might prove more interesting; for example, I saw this comment about Victoria's relationship with Lord M on a recap for ep 2:

Spoiler

its a fun series but PLEASE don't treat it as real history.As Sonya says, Melbourne was sixty and fat and there was NEVER any indication from Victoria's diaries that she saw him as anything other than a much trusted Father figure. Rufus Sewell portrays him as goodlooking and charismatic with a smouldering hot sexual tension between them .Jenna Coleman is also too tall, thin and pretty to portray an 18 year old Queen Victoria. There is also evidence to suggest that she didn't care two hoots about the poor and she never pardoned The Chartists.Never mind, there is a long history of historical books, films and TV shows that are blatantly historically inacurate because the real story wasn't judged to be exciting or sexy enough. There are still good historically accurate, more serious dramas out there if that's what you want. Just treat this as fiction and enjoy!

I'll post back if I find more...

As palace-bound melodramas go, “Victoria” is perfectly easy to watch, as long as you don’t mind that it never for a second feels as if you were watching something that could actually have taken place in the mid-19th century. Central to this effect is the casting of Jenna Coleman as Victoria. She plays the queen in much the same way she played the Doctor’s companion on several seasons of “Doctor Who” — spunky, sharp-edged, thoroughly modern. She’s immensely likable, and not in the least believable as a historical monarch.

NYT: Review: Thoroughly Modern ‘Victoria,’ Still Nursing That Crush

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 1

I'm wondering if there's any historical truth to her crushing on Lord M. She lost her father, was isolated from family, so for her to see him as a father figure.

Not everyone was happy about the young queen, so if her critics called her "Mrs Melbourne", it might make sense they would try to start salacious rumors. Really no different from several of our presidents and other heads of state who have received justly or unjustly a fair amount of lampooning.

On 1/29/2017 at 0:31 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

I'm wondering if there's any historical truth to her crushing on Lord M.

According to her great-great grandson she was indeed "quite infatuated" with him.  

First of a two-part documentary in which Prince Michael of Kent traces the story of the idyllic love match between his great-great grandmother, Queen Victoria, and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coberg.Shot at various locations including Windsor, Balmoral and Sandringham, the film charts both the private and public lives of Victoria and Albert. 

(edited)

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post, but Dame Judi Dench is reprising her role as Queen Victoria in Victoria & Abdul.  I saw the trailer for the first time yesterday. 

Got to love the lines "I would like a mango!" and "I'm EMPRESS OF INDIA, so have ONE SENT!" 

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 3

Got to love the lines "I would like a mango!" and "I'm EMPRESS OF INDIA, so have ONE SENT!" 

That looks good!  Wonder if it will be shown in the US.  Probably only in art theaters.  Sigh.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Here is something funny - we here in the US are getting the new season now on PBS. Meanwhile, there is not even an air date set for UK viewers!

If I was an UK Victoria viewer I wouldn't be amused, ha.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-01-11/victoria-series-3-uk-air-date-delayed-us-release-drama-first/

Wow, how bizarre!  I was actually getting ready to message one of my British friends, thinking she would have already seen S3, to ask if Ernst was scheduled to be in any future episodes.  That could have been awkward!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I wonder if this is just speculation.  It would suggest a big time jump is coming.  I couldn't picture it happening any time before Albert's death.

I agree and think it will be Coleman and Hughes until the time of Albert's death.  The final sentence of the article indicates at least another season.

Coleman confirmed she will be back for season four, which will begin filming later in the year and air in 2020. 

• Love 2