Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Judy didn't allow his appearance to prejudice her against him.

I just can't understand why anyone would have his face so ridculously disfigured that way. Unless he's a tattoo artist, his job opportunities are severely curtailed.

Other than that, today was a parade of useless, mouth-breathing, ignorant, knuckle-dragging true wastes of valuable oxygen with so little brain power it's amazing they remain alive today.

• Love 7

I found an article about JJ and read this:

“I have to ask them if they have teeth,” Houston has said. Most of the litigants, she explains, don’t have a full set of teeth, so the show buys them a pair for their appearance—or paints their teeth if they’re rotten and discolored from drug use. They might also take them to a hairdresser or barber, and they provide clothes that look nice but not too nice.      http://priceonomics.com/the-hypocrisy-of-judge-judy/

Dear Lord, does that mean the people we see on the show are cleaned up??  I am afraid to see what they looked like before that!

• Love 11

Most of the litigants, she explains, don’t have a full set of teeth, so the show buys them a pair for their appearance—or paints their teeth if they’re rotten and discolored from drug use

Holy... but I don't really believe it. We've seen some incredibly wrecked grills here. Slappy White had zero teeth and no one gave him any.

• Love 3

The woman quoted extensively in the article worked on other (unnamed) court tv shows, not Judge Judy.  The woman actually added that Judge Judy tries to be above the other court shows.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, NYCFree said:

The woman quoted extensively in the article worked on other (unnamed) court tv shows, not Judge Judy.  The woman actually added that Judge Judy tries to be above the other court shows.

I don't place much credibility in this article. The title is "The Hypocrisy of Judge Judy", yet the producer they quote admits she never worked on Judge Judy. The article being quoted is from 2012 http://www.aol.com/article/2012/08/15/confessions-of-a-reality-tv-producer/20297553/?jwp=1 . Sorry, there are court tv shows and then there are court tv shows. Some are admittedly cheesy scripted reenactments with lousy acting which I wouldn't watch even if that was all that was on, others I enjoy watching pretty much daily. So here this article brings in someone to fill the role of an expert witness, yet she prefaced her article by saying "Ever watched Judge Judy or The People's Court? I haven't worked on those shows specifically but they're the most popular so I thought I'd use those as examples." Sorry, if the producer being quoted says they never worked on the show, and even refuses to say what show she did work on, why are they quoting her? Just who is being hypocritical here?

Edited by SRTouch
Clarification
  • Love 7

Did you guys see the hallterview today -- the woman whose friend loaned her almost $8,000?  She says [paraphrasing] it's her own fault, for offering to loan me money she couldn't afford to lose.  !!!

• Love 11

OMG! Was that Lady loans Gina and Steven Davis case new? I don't remember it! What an atrocious pair of grifters those two are. And I got all confused when Grifter Gina Davis kept referring to a "campaign." I had to rewind a few times to make sure I didn't miss anything -- and I didn't. But the Google machine knows all and tells me that Steven Davis-R is running for state senate in California! I guess his appearance on Judge Judy was such a smash hit that he deleted his Facebook accounts but his Twitter is still up with a few comments from viewers of the show.

I mean, holy shit! The balls of these two! This article is about his appearance on the show and contains this money quote:

“I did not go on this show to be any kind of rock star, by any means,” said Davis, 45, of Stockton.

You are a delusional shit monster, Steven Davis-R and I am unsurprised you chose politics to continue your future fleecing endeavors.

Thank you Giant Misfit, for finding the details of the co-defendant's campaign.  When you state, as a defense, "there was nothing in writing" you pretty much out yourself as a grifter.

• Love 4

Gina Davis has a mean little face, and she's old enough, as Abe Lincoln put it, to be responsible for it.

The article indicates that the Davises went on the show intending to lose, just so they wouldn't have to pay, but you think they'd have at least put on a show that didn't make them look like petty grifters.

• Love 6
(edited)

I was unable to read the stupid article!  My browser is being awful tonight, can someone please pm me the details of the Steven and Gina Davis story?  I don't need any video or pictures, just a gist of what happened.    If it shows that they intended to lose, I will be writing them a very stern letter!

Edited by Brattinella
I forgot to ask nicely.

And that article (great find!) also has this gem:

“I had no idea there was a cap on it for $5,000,” Davis said. “We didn’t actually know that until the day we were in the studio.”

He vowed to pay Camello the balance. “Absolutely. I’m not that kind of person.”

Oh really, now? But you ARE the kind that lets TV pay your debts in exchange for national embarrassment....

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Trini said:

And that article (great find!) also has this gem:

Oh really, now? But you ARE the kind that lets TV pay your debts in exchange for national embarrassment....

What horrible people!  It was a great article! Thanks!

• Love 2

But the Google machine knows all and tells me that Steven Davis-R is running for state senate in California!

I wondered what form of campaign he was running - the long purple scarf campaign? 

And what??? about the guy who sold the salvage car - he's a RAPPAH! and a RAP PRODUCER?? All I could think about was he belonged in the movie Napoleon Dynamite helping Napoleon and his brother Kip (the cage fighter) throw some ham over the fence to Tina the Llama. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

And what??? about the guy who sold the salvage car - he's a RAPPAH! and a RAP PRODUCER?? All I could think about was he belonged in the movie Napoleon Dynamite helping Napoleon and his brother Kip (the cage fighter) throw some ham over the fence to Tina the Llama. 

A hard-of-hearing rap producer!

• Love 6

Well, I know when I'm researching candidates before an election, seeing "lost $5000 case on Judge Judy" would absolutely encourage me to give that person my vote.

And yeah, that outfit was something else. Jeans (to court), sweater vest, and a hipster scarf. Guess someone's trying to appeal to a bunch of different demographics there.

• Love 5

Beauty salon owner tells cops she thinks the minister at a storefront church/help center is a drug dealer. Her evidence? She doesn't have any, but somehow I think it's highly relevant that they're from North Carolina, she's white, and he's black.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Green dreads girl was stoned out of her mind.

The two of them were just awful.  Buy a comb, you kids!  They played house for a few months and now they're back living with their mommies and daddies. Every time Miss Moonface opened her mouth she sounded like a cow in labor. The landlord was wrong, but I really wanted them to lose.  At least they only got $300.

And I could have done without dreadlocks boy mentioning they were "half naked" when the landlord walked in.  Ewwwwww. 

• Love 3

I HATE Judy today on this 12 yr old boy hired to walk the man's ancient poodle!  What a judgmental and HORRIBLE attitude she had!  He had walked that dog for a couple years, and he took it into HIS HOUSE where it hid under the couch.  Then, the kid YANKED the dog out by the leash! The poor dog needed surgery from that incident, and didn't survive. In what universe is that NOT the kid's fault?? GAH!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I HATE Judy today on this 12 yr old boy hired to walk the man's ancient poodle!  What a judgmental and HORRIBLE attitude she had!  He had walked that dog for a couple years, and he took it into HIS HOUSE where it hid under the couch.  Then, the kid YANKED the dog out by the leash! The poor dog needed surgery from that incident, and didn't survive. In what universe is that NOT the kid's fault?? GAH!

I disagreed with both of her decisions today.  The couple who were suing the 'wedding planner' deserved something.  She left before the event was over..wtf?  $1500 was ridiculous - the good old 'pain and suffering' - but maybe $100 seems fair.  And JJ was acting like the couple were cheapskates, breaking down the planner's hourly rate.  The planner set the rate, not the couple.

I guess it's a fine legal line in the dog case. The guy hired the boy - granted, it was for popsicles and cookies and a dollar here and there - but obviously he must have trusted him to do the job.  Her soccer-ball-through-the-window analogy cleared it up a bit for me, but I don't understand why it's wrong to sue the kid's father.  The kid - who seemed like a fairly responsible 12 year old - doesn't have that kind of money.  JJ was hinting through that tone in her voice that 12 is too young to walk a dog which is ridiculous.  Neither plaintiff nor defendant ever explained exactly what happened.  I don't think it mattered because her mind was already made up.

• Love 4

What really hit me about the 12 yr old boy was that HE WAS LYING.  He quoted the plaintiff as saying "Take her to new places".  Really?  A very old and fragile looking dog?  PLUS he said he was with his friend when he was called over; did the friend accompany him on the dog walk?  Did HE hurt the dog?  Why was the dog hiding??  I am just furious with this.

• Love 4

I don't know what happened with the dog. Owner was too damned lazy to get off the porch and walk his own dog - which certainly didn't need massive amounts of exercise -  and started having the kid do it when kid was around nine years old. Personally, I would never, ever have let a child walk any of my dogs. There's too much liability involved, too many variables. Dog could run out on the road, kid could panic, a loose dog could charge at them, kid could get hurt, dog could die, etc. Kids can walk their own dogs, and if anything happens it can't be blamed on anyone other than the parents. Someone wants to employ a 9 - 12 year old kid to care for a living creature, that's fine, but you get what you pay for. JMO.

• Love 4

Mr. Plaintiff really liked the word combo "treats and popsicles" didn't he?  He must have said it no less that four times.

In my world, popsicles are treats.  And I agree completely with you AngelaHunter on the idea that Mr. Plaintiff was too damned lazy to walk his own dog.  Maybe he wanted to but if he did he wouldn't be able to say "treats and popsicles" as much.

I agreed with both decisions.  In the dog walking case, once you employ a minor you assume the risk that the kid will work out.  I worked at a Baskin Robbins when I was 15; if I broke something, would my employer be allowed to sue my parents?  A person whose window was broken by a kid assumed no risk and the parents are responsible for supervising their kids.  

The couple wanted to do their reception on the cheap, and yet be pampered.  The woman charged fairly little and left after being there for seven hours already.  Should the lady have shut the wedding party down an hour earlier to say "ok folks, time to stop dancing and pack up?"  They would have sued her for ending their reception early.

• Love 3
(edited)

The couple wanted to do their reception on the cheap, and yet be pampered.

I think the problem was that they were trying to suck 1500$ out of the def. I think I can see who'll be running the show in their marital bliss and it won't be the whiny Howdy Doody.

Mr. Plaintiff really liked the word combo "treats and popsicles" didn't he? 

And cookies. Don't forget the cookies. At my former job, people used to say, "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys."

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 4

Hiring the boy to walk his dog is not necessarily a sign of laziness.  My best friend has COPD and has a boy about the same age walk her dog because she just can't walk any distance without getting winded. He may have a good reason that he can't do it either.

And nobody forced the boy to take on the chore.  Maybe he enjoyed being with the dog and the treats were enough for him.

We really don't know exactly what happened to injure the dog.  It was just very sad for everyone.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you. The owner was responsible in not teaching the boy how to handle problems with the dog. My son was walking our beloved family dog on a leash. Our dog saw another dog and went after it. My son still had the leash and yanked him back away from the other dog. I heard the commotion and ran outside to see right at that moment the yanking. I clearly could see what could have happened, a seriously injured family dog whom we all love dearly.  Who would have been responsible if something did happened? It would have been me and I took full responsibility. I then taught my son how to handle our dog in a much better way when he wants to go after another dog. I would have felt awful for the rest of my life if something happened because I do believe my son was not fully responsible. A 12 year old boy can not anticipate what can happen. My son has always loved our dog and plays with him, sleeps with him and loves him and all dogs. He is very much aware now just how serious it could have been and is very careful.

The owner of the dog was responsible and as an adult could anticipate problems better than a 12 year old boy. In my mind this man is not a kind person. He could have helped the boy understand what happened and mourn the loss of the dog together. Instead he sues the father.

I think Judy saw it as a teachable experience for the boy...about love, kindness and forgiveness which the dog owner clearly had not.

• Love 4

The boy walked this particular dog for two years.  He had no troubles before.  I'm sure the dog owner taught him what and what not to do.  The 12 yr old (AND his buddy) are the true stars of this tragedy.  When you 'walk' a dog, particularly an older dog, you walk them in a familiar, comfortable route to the place of pooping.  For these two boys to take this tiny dog inside a house, what is the purpose of that?  The man didn't say anything about taking doggie inside. The dog-walker boy had a ready-made, pre-rehearsed LIE about how gramps wanted her walked 'someplace new'.  When boys of that age get together, sometimes they can pick on the smallest of the group for fun.  In this case, the smallest would be the dog.  I really would have asked "Why did you bring the dog inside, and why did she hide under the couch?  I know, this is the worst-case scenario, but not impossible.

BUT.  I don't suffer a SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE in any form, ever.

• Love 6

The owner was responsible in not teaching the boy how to handle problems with the dog. My son was walking our beloved family dog on a leash. Our dog saw another dog and went after it. My son still had the leash and yanked him back away from the other dog.

My dog was attacked by another dog that was being walked by a girl about 11. The two dogs barked at each other and then the bigger dog (pit mix, of COURSE) broke free and attacked my dog (a pug), grabbed him by the neck and shook him. The girl FROZE. I started yelling at her to run to a neighbor's house and knock on the door and ask for help (meanwhile I'm beating the dog on the snout trying to get him to let go). Luckily my much smaller dog suffered minor injuries (except for the ring of bite marks around his tail where the big dog snapped and caught him as he was trying to run away). A few days later after I had called animal control, the guy shows up at my house WITH HIS DOG to try and convince me the dog was friendly. Some people just don't get it. That girl should have never been walking a dog she couldn't control. 

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Some people just don't get it. That girl should have never been walking a dog she couldn't control. 

I'll go a step further, and say people should not have a large powerful dog that they cannot control. To lose control of such a dog in a public place is borderline criminal - and as much a disservice to the dog as anyone (or animal) the dog might scare or attack. To go along with that, the dog should not be out in public with someone who can't maintain control if the dog gets excited. The friendliest, best family dog in the world could decide to attack if it feels threatened, it feels it needs to protect "its" family, or just decides to go hunting the neighbor's cat. Control should be maintained over all dogs - even chihuahuas. The difference between a pit bull and a chihuahua is the amount of damage that can be done if they're out of control.

• Love 5

It would have been me and I took full responsibility.

Well, I guess you'll never be a JJ litigant, then.

When boys of that age get together, sometimes they can pick on the smallest of the group for fun.

Very true, and you can't expect absolute responsibility or compassion from kids or that they'll respond properly in an emergency, which is why I always walked my own dogs.

Hiring the boy to walk his dog is not necessarily a sign of laziness.  My best friend has COPD and has a boy about the same age walk her dog because she just can't walk any distance without getting winded. He may have a good reason that he can't do it either.

JJ asked him if he had any kind of disability. He said he didn't, so I had to assume he was just too lazy to take his elderly, tiny dog for a short walk.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Well, I guess you'll never be a JJ litigant, then.

Very true, and you can't expect absolute responsibility or compassion from kids or that they'll respond properly in an emergency, which is why I always walked my own dogs.

JJ asked him if he had any kind of disability. He said he didn't, so I had to assume he was just too lazy to take his elderly, tiny dog for a short walk.

That is true, but when JJ asks a litigant if he has any kind of disability, they KNOW it is a loaded question if they have even seen the show before! You get short shrift if you claim welfare, disability, workman's comp, or SS and her wrath is kinda legendary.

• Love 1

Ah reruns - usually I don't recap reruns, just sort of half watch them and let them run in the background. Today, though we had the better episodes. FIRST CASE: feuding long time rural neighbors. For years these idiots have managed to get along, but then one neighbor has a hissy fit about the other's dog coming to visit - don't know why the dog decided to visit or why it bugged the guy. Anyway, the feud starts over the visiting dog, with the visited neighbor threatening to shoot the dog if it comes back. It takes a couple months, but eventually the guy has puts up a kennel and new fence and manages to keep dog at home. Then we have the next battle in the feud. There's a bunch of trees along the fence line between the properties, and no one really knows where the real property line is. The dog owner decides to post NO TRESPASSING signs, but accidently puts at least one sign on the wrong side of the line. When the other neighbor sees the sign on HIS PROPERTY, he confronts the guy with a bunch of cursing and carrying on (though he claims he just wanted to take a picture of three sign). Now the feud starts in the courtroom. During the confrontation the dog owner tackles the other guy, on the disputed property, but after a survey was done it turns out the dog owner was in fact on the other's property. When he tackled the guy he hurt him enough to send him to the ER. Defendant was clearly in the wrong, but no matter how JJ asks he just spend his tell and won't accept responsibility. While JJ tries to get the defendant to accept responsibility, the plaintiff is like a little boy raising his hand needing to go to the bathroom. Although the defendant may have thought he was on his property the fact remains that he tackled the guy on the plaintiff's property causing injury. So he's going to lose. But, he's filed a countersuit for a false restraining order and harrassment. SORRY DUDE, you assaulted the guy on his property and caused injury, so the application for a restraining order was justified, and my only question is to wonder why it was denied.

SECOND CASE:  all about a bad breakup. Couple lived together for six months, and during that time dude bought a car. He thought he was being cute outing in her name to save on insurance. When they breat up, she gets spiteful and won't give him the title and cancels the insurance. A year later, he has a wreck in the uninsured car, and they're coming after her because she's the legal owner and she's suing the dude. JJ says nope, if plaintiff had done the right thing and given him title to his car instead of acting spiteful nobody would be after her, so she dismisses the case.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Quof said:

Where the hell does Kizzy live that renter's insurance is $318 per month??? I pay less than 1/3 of that to insure my house and contents. 

She was lying.  Maybe $318 a year, but not $318 a month.

What's the CRP she was talking about?  Confirmed Rent Payment? 

I was confused.  Didn't they say the basement was "raw" -- unfinished?  So why put a TV and a playroom down there?  Especially on a mostly concrete floor, with damp issues. 

And who doesn't replace their living room set every year?  [rolleyes]  You do that if you're buying cheap crap that won't last.  But it looked like the new sofa was almost $1800.  Or was that for the whole set?

JJ was whack.  The landlord never accused Kizzy of deliberately moving the downspout.  The damages should have been mitigated somewhat, if the landlord kept telling her to keep the downspout attached and she neglected to do it.  I had to laugh at JJ "calling somebody" to come and re-attach her downspout.  It ain't rocket science. 

• Love 5

Van repo: Can anyone explain why an adult with functioning brain cells would sell a car to a total stranger for payments, and keep the car in his name? Plaintiff reminded me of a former litigant, "LaTownsend", who said, "Just because I didn't pay for it doesn't mean he can take it back." Def is such a big,dumb fool that in the hall he says, "I would do it again." Don't learn from your mistakes, do you?

Then we had one of the cases of the type I really hate - "Destiney"(sic) 19, suing her odd-looking boyfriend, with whom she thought it was a great idea to have a baby, for shit bought at Walmart and assorted other nonsense. Just because you both look 40 doesn't mean you're mature. BORING.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

She was lying.  Maybe $318 a year, but not $318 a month.

What's the CRP she was talking about?  Confirmed Rent Payment? 

I was confused.  Didn't they say the basement was "raw" -- unfinished?  So why put a TV and a playroom down there?  Especially on a mostly concrete floor, with damp issues. 

And who doesn't replace their living room set every year?  [rolleyes]  You do that if you're buying cheap crap that won't last.  But it looked like the new sofa was almost $1800.  Or was that for the whole set?

I was surprised JJ let her get away with the lies and attitude - kept wondering what else was in the statements that made JJ willing to put up with it. Perhaps that was something in the paperwork about her complaints to the health department that put the landlord in a bad light. Continuous interruptions and attitude, lies about cost of insurance, inflated claims of damages, etc, I was surprised JJ awarded her anything. I'm not even prepared to say anything was damaged except some cardboard boxes. Supposedly she was using the basement as a kids' playroom, so I assume they were down there often. In the video she says she just got home from the gym to a flooded basement. What flood? All I saw was a little water along the basement walls. Unless she just let her stuff sit the water, what was damaged besides a few cardboard boxes. Sorry, too many lies coming from the plaintiff, she has no credibility in my eyes.

JJ was whack.  The landlord never accused Kizzy of deliberately moving the downspout.  The damages should have been mitigated somewhat, if the landlord kept telling her to keep the downspout attached and she neglected to do it.  I had to laugh at JJ "calling somebody" to come and re-attach her downspout.  It ain't rocket science. 

It was funny to hear about JJ calling somebody to report her downspouts, but I can believe it, seeing as how she sometimes comes up with things that are from a different world. The landlord lost some credibility blaming the detached downspout on her and/or her kids. If he can't figure out how to screw the pieces together with a couple self tapping screws, maybe she's right about the house being a dump.

• Love 4

Kizzy had paid rent (for the most part) AND had receipts for some stuff. Since that's such a rarity, I didn't mind JJ cutting her a little bit of slack.

The landlord lost some credibility blaming the detached downspout on her and/or her kids. If he can't figure out how to screw the pieces together with a couple self tapping screws, maybe she's right about the house being a dump.

Yeah, I thought there was something a little fishy about the landlord and/or his son's story about how the downspouts kept falling off and they kept telling her to put them back on. 1) I don't believe that they were off every time whoever went to mow the lawn, and 2) to be totally honest, if one of my downspouts became detached, I'm wondering how much time would pass before I noticed. I guess it would depend on where the detached piece ended up for the one near where I go in and out. (The answer for the one on the other side of the house would be "I'd probably never notice".) And in the past, when we knew there was a bad storm coming (Hurricane Sandy, for example), while we did a bunch of things to prepare, I really don't think "checking downspouts" was on the list.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

It was funny to hear about JJ calling somebody to report her downspouts, but I can believe it, seeing as how she sometimes comes up with things that are from a different world. The landlord lost some credibility blaming the detached downspout on her and/or her kids. If he can't figure out how to screw the pieces together with a couple self tapping screws, maybe she's right about the house being a dump.

Yeah, it was probably a dump.  Guy has "approximately" 12 properties, all maintained by him and his son.  Painting basement walls isn't usually enough to stop water seepage.  $1100/$1200 month rent in the Mpls-St. Paul area is pretty reasonable.  It won't get you something really nice, but it should be livable.

I think the downspout wasn't attached with screws because he had to mow under it.  So the downspout has to be moved every time the landlord mows.  Nice of the landlord to do the mowing!

• Love 3

I will preface this with saying I know nothing about basements, construction, etc.  I'm not sure if this case involved a high water table, but my question is: Is there ANY WAY to actually FIX a basement that has flooded?  Even once?  I do know I would not stay in a concrete basement that was actually wet or had been wet.  Anyone know?

• Love 2

Is there ANY WAY to actually FIX a basement that has flooded?  Even once?  I do know I would not stay in a concrete basement that was actually wet or had been wet.  Anyone know?

I live in a place with a high water table and a driveway that slopes towards the house, and in heavy rains my basement would flood. It doesn't because of the simple addition of a sump pump, which most people around here have. Daddy and Sonny (Dumb and Dumber) never thought of that, I guess, or are too cheap to do anything but "spray" something or other that won't stop water.

My basement flooded once when the old sump pump broke, but after the floor dried out - I used two fans and opened the windows -  it was fine.

• Love 3
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I will preface this with saying I know nothing about basements, construction, etc.  I'm not sure if this case involved a high water table, but my question is: Is there ANY WAY to actually FIX a basement that has flooded?  Even once?  I do know I would not stay in a concrete basement that was actually wet or had been wet.  Anyone know?

We lived in a split level when I was growing up, and the lower level...which had a bedroom, office, living room/den, laundry room and half bath routinely flooded during hard rains.  It looked just like the pictures Tizzy showed in court:  seeping in from the floor.  My mom put in a sump pump, but we would still get a few puddles during downpours.  When we prepped the house to sell, we put in French drains around the perimeter of the entire floor which ended the problem, but they're pretty expensive.  Plus we had to put in a new floor, subfloor and dry wall since there was mold everywhere.

That basement looked awful...only a stupid person would place toys and TV's directly on a dank basement floor.  Oh wait...Tizzy isn't stupid, according JJ. 

Edited by Albino
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Quick answer, yeah you can fix a leaky basement. Like AUNTIEPAM said though, I wouldn't put much faith in a spray on sealant like the landlord and son used. Depending on the age of the house, and where they're located, there could be several types of drainage systems around the base of the house - or even a French drain system inside with a sump pump to get rid of the water. My understanding is that to fix it right you probably need a professional, and you might be paying through the nose. I think that was part of why JJ was kind of dismissive towards the landlord's DIY "repair". We really didn't hear enough to know why the basement leaks, so there's no way to tell what would have to be done. 

• Love 4

I don't believe for a minute that JJ knows any of her neighbors.  I'm sure she just cruises by them in and out of her penthouse apartment as the doorman holds the front door open for her and hails a cab.

I lived in a newly-built split level in Germany that had been built by my landlord and his father-in-law.  My roommate and I lived in the lower floor and the landlord and his wife lived on the top floor.  One day, I just happened to be home and it started POURING rain.  The rain water started coming up out of the toilet and the bathtub and flowing all over the floors throughout the house.  Fortunately, in most German houses, each room has its own door, and I closed off all of the doors leading into the hallway and stuffed towels everywhere.  The flooring was carpet tiles.  I went running upstairs to my landlord, and the next day he and his father-in-law were digging a bypass trench and they replaced all of the carpet tiles.

• Love 2

What flood? All I saw was a little water along the basement walls

I have been flooded by hurricanes, water lines 11" up from the floor. What this plaintiff had was really minor flooding, more seepage than flooding, just some standing water on the floor, not more than 1/4" deep. The sofa she claimed was destroyed would not have been affected by the "flooding" we saw documented, and she showed pictures of the toys damaged which only showed a couple of cheap ass toys. The landlord really should have brought in real professionals to deal with the problem, but the plaintiff was a money grubbing liar and JJ fell for it.

• Love 7