Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Okay, I did read Cody and the Sprite story and WTH? The clerk randomly threw the change on the floor and then whacked him with a tire iron? Me thinks there was something else afoot and One Tooth Granny is looking to file a civil suit of some sort.

I don't think Granny was looking for a civil suit in the Family Dollar case....the original. Star-Telegram story isn't online, but this page reprints it in full. It appears that the cashier was bantering with Cody Goodnight while waiting for the computerized cash register to come back online and got angry when Cody failed to respond to him. He threw Cody's change on the floor, and when Cody bent over to pick it up, the cashier mistook his deaf-speak guttural words as a racial slur and clobbered him with a crowbar. (Doesn't everyone keep a crowbar on hand for just such an emergency?)

I wish Cody could have made his beef with Grandma Becky clearer, that bit about her calling "15 times" after her daughter died and making Toby cry. Or something like that. As it was, I got the impression that Granny Toofless had poisoned his mind about this ex-wife over the years, and he unquestioningly went along with whatever she said. 

• Love 1

I notice in the halterview Granny Battleax's first words were that the other Maternal Granny only wanted Toby to get her hands on the child's Social Security/Disability checks!  I'm thinking that's what's keeping Granny Battleax afloat.  I tweeted to Judge Judy that I hoped she'd followed up on Toby - maybe the award from yesterday's case will allow other Granny to retain counsel and get custody. 

• Love 4

CarolinaGirl

I notice in the halterview Granny Battleax's first words were that the other Maternal Granny only wanted Toby to get her hands on the child's Social Security/Disability checks!  I'm thinking that's what's keeping Granny Battleax afloat.  I tweeted to Judge Judy that I hoped she'd followed up on Toby - maybe the award from yesterday's case will allow other Granny to retain counsel and get custody

Bingo!  Of course Granny Battleaxe wanted his SSI check, I do hope this case gets a follow-up.  And a POX on Granny!

• Love 2

Saw a gentle, kind side of JJ today on the repeat. Mr. Gouge, who had a daughter with skanky YOUNG thing, being raised by Mr. G's sister. He seemed a simple man, kept very good records,and was just trying to do right by his child and the child's mother. Loaned her money, and just wanted it repaid. She was a piece of work - claiming the money was a gift because he was in loooooove with her. Gag. Judy reamed her out for taking advantage of it, and then very gently explained to Mr. G not to give her any more money, not to give anyone any more money, and then awarded him the cash. I think she was going to go off on him, until she started asking questions and learned a little more about him. Very glad that she seemed to read things correctly. He seemed very sweet, and I wonder what the girl's plan was in starting up with him and getting pregnant. Just weird.

Followed by one of my faves - the "best friend" who gladly took money because her friend was so well off, and it surely must have been a gift!  JJ yelled at (baited?) her for having a gaggle of kids (5) without being able to afford them. She was doing okay, holding her own with JJ, until she lost it and said, "She loaned me the, er, um, gave me the money..." and JJ cut her off with a smirky "Judgement for the plaintiff." ha. Kinda like the book bag boys who said "There was no earpiece in the bag!"  Love it when defendants lose the case for themselves.  One of the things I love most about JJ - she seems able to ferret out the BS pretty well, and so very smoothly.

"Tuwalla Goodnight."  heh, Milz!!

• Love 3

WTH with the lady with the poodle?  To me, it sounded like she was trying to double-dip with the costs. Right? She got several months' free rent, she collected more money elsewhere, and I think the defendants may have said that they gave her some money already.  And she wanted reimbursement for having to go to a surgical vet 20 miles way?  Oh please.  I have to drive that distance to get to Target, and it's no biggie.  If it was one of my beloved dogs, I'd drive hours for a good surgeon.  Reimbursement for "40 miles round-trip"--get over it.  

Oh, and Neighbor Sonia was confused about life.  I did see that Byrd's pencil magically turned into a pen.  Damn, Byrd, can't you even have a sharpened pencil at the ready?  He probably dulled it while doing his crosswords and seek-n-finds....today's cases were not that lively.

• Love 3

I liked the twist that the father-in-law's towing fees were incurred when he himself took a screwdriver and removed the plates.  Cretin.

He was a total asshole, in every way, so much so that I can't even snark properly on his huge sullen daughter and her ripped jeans, or the defendant, even though they got married, had a kid yet can't even afford to buy an $800 beater car.

Poodle lady was some piece of work, as JJ would say. The crocodile tears? Oh please, never consider acting as a career. She leaves her 4 dogs running loose, yet takes zero responsiblity for an incident she didn't even see. Defendant was right. She's a psycho.

Best Witness of the Year: Sonia! Not sure I'd take her word for anything, since she's lived there for 5 years yet has no idea where her front door is. Let's hope there's never a fire.

Gotta love the chutzpah of  the scamming "Daphanie", who gets paid for her 14 year old, non-working Jag, yet wants more money.  I had no sympathy at all for Mr. Lopez, a middle-aged man who buys a car, sight unseen, on EBay and pays in full without even sitting in the car and turning the key, never mind getting it checked out. How is it possible? Does advertising on EBay or Craigslist automatically confer unimpeachable integrity on all who place ads to sell their shitty junk and lemon cars? Both of them got what they deserved - zip! Actually, I'd probably be tempted to scam Mr. Lopez myself. He all but has a bulls-eye on his back.

• Love 3

On the "Toby" Goodnight convo. I remembered the kids name b/c of Roots. Have been traumatized by that name ever since poor Kunta Kinte.

I work in a doctor's office, and, unfortunately, I see this all the time. Girlfriends who 1. make doctor's appointments for Loser, 2. fills out the paperwork for him while Loser sits there texting, 3. goes into the exam room with Loser and tells the doctor why Loser is there,  or 4. brings Loser's children to the doctor, taking over parent responsibilities for Loser's children.

This had me howling for few minutes. Applause!!! This describes the end of my teens' and beginning of 20's. And I can attest 2 the fact that that is exactly how that circlejerk of loserdom works. Can also attest to the fact that as soon as she gets some street smarts, self esteem, and life experience, the losers will b a thing of the past that she can laugh about.

Sidenote. Those kinds of losers' will simply replace her w/the same young model over and over again, until they can no longer find, or attract that model. What happens after that? Don't know what they do...

The answer is yes.  Brain injury in the form of trauma or invasive surgery can have the same effect as having a lobotomy.

A person who has had a lobotomy is childlike, more carefree and emotionally labile.  Twitches or tics would also not be uncommon as a result of brain injury. 

That was my assumption in my original post on that case. She was an a-moral bitch before the neurological issues, but inappropriate reactions and a "loss of etiquette" are hallmark's of brain injuries.

Saw a gentle, kind side of JJ today on the repeat. Mr. Gouge, who had a daughter with skanky YOUNG thing, being raised by Mr. G's sister. He seemed a simple man, kept very good records,and was just trying to do right by his child and the child's mother. Loaned her money, and just wanted it repaid. She was a piece of work - claiming the money was a gift because he was in loooooove with her. Gag. Judy reamed her out for taking advantage of it, and then very gently explained to Mr. G not to give her any more money, not to give anyone any more money, and then awarded him the cash. I think she was going to go off on him, until she started asking questions and learned a little more about him. Very glad that she seemed to read things correctly. He seemed very sweet, and I wonder what the girl's plan was in starting up with him and getting pregnant. Just weird.

Followed by one of my faves - the "best friend" who gladly took money because her friend was so well off, and it surely must have been a gift!  JJ yelled at (baited?) her for having a gaggle of kids (5) without being able to afford them. She was doing okay, holding her own with JJ, until she lost it and said, "She loaned me the, er, um, gave me the money..." and JJ cut her off with a smirky "Judgement for the plaintiff." ha. Kinda like the book bag boys who said "There was no earpiece in the bag!"  Love it when defendants lose the case for themselves.  One of the things I love most about JJ - she seems able to ferret out the BS pretty well, and so very smoothly.

"Tuwalla Goodnight."  heh, Milz!!

I remember this old one well. And it was 1 of those rare ones where u go "awe", she can be sweet when she wants to be.

And that 2nd case that lady really did feel entitled to the money just because "she does fine...she has a BMW". Bitch please!

Best Witness of the Year: Sonia! Not sure I'd take her word for anything, since she's lived there for 5 years yet has no idea where her front door is. Let's hope there's never a fire.

As usual, I haven't seen my episodes yet. But it's posts like these that make me want to risk a speeding ticket when I drive home from the office. I have no idea what you're talking about in the above post, AngelaHunter, but I can't wait to find out! Hopefully, I can find my front door on my way in.

JJ should be sponsoring this forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one who only still watches so I can enjoy the snark here.

• Love 5

The case with the poodle lady was funny. Sonia was not a reliable witness, but I honestly think she was confused. The owner seemed a little crazypants in that she had been paid almost $5000 with what seemed like very little work. I mean, I know it was probably scary and trying to get the poodle the care it needed, but between the owner and the people giving her all that money, I mean, yeah. Consider yourself lucky, sweetheart. Don't try and get double-paid even after you've mostly been made whole. As cute as the poodle was, and seeing its little face was kind of breaking my heart, that woman might need a kid. I'm just saying. She quit her job to see after her poodle full-time. That's...a little much for a dog.

The case with the woman suing the guy whom she'd sold a lemon was stupid. It was also stupid that JJ didn't give him his money back because he's a grown man and didn't do due diligence. It also showed her naivete with regards to buying and selling cars online. He should've test driven the car before giving her any money, but if she made an assurance that it was a working car and it wasn't, he should get his money back. Penalizing him for buying a car online was bullshit.

• Love 3

Very glad that she seemed to read things correctly. He seemed very sweet, and I wonder what the girl's plan was in starting up with him and getting pregnant. Just weird.

Mr. Gouge/Gooj sparked my overactive curiosity, so I googled him.  Something seemed "off" about his act, and the age difference also grossed me out.  Well, let's just say that he's not too sweet.  He's a registered sex offender for committing an offense against a young child.  Ugh, people are no damn good.

• Love 2

He should've test driven the car before giving her any money, but if she made an assurance that it was a working car and it wasn't, he should get his money back. Penalizing him for buying a car online was bullshit.

He wasn't being penalized for buying a car online. He was being penalized for buying a 14 year old car "AS IS" and not checking it out in even the most rudimentary or casual way. It's buyer beware and all used cars are sold as is unless there's a warranty. Saying the car runs is not a warranty.

• Love 2

Mr. Gouge/Gooj sparked my overactive curiosity, so I googled him.  Something seemed "off" about his act, and the age difference also grossed me out.  Well, let's just say that he's not too sweet.  He's a registered sex offender for committing an offense against a young child.  Ugh, people are no damn good.

Ugh, indeed.  That's the pits.

//quickly stomps on rose-colored glasses//

• Love 3

I was just wondering, since you're such a good sleuth, do you think it would be possible to find out anything about the deceased mom? I'm curious about her and how she died!!!!

I did find a notice in the Dallas-Fort Worth newspaper website of one Melissa Lane who died of cancer in 2012 at age 32. The full obit is archived and payment is required to view it, so I'm not sure if this is Toby's mother.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dfw/obituary-search.aspx?daterange=99999&firstname=melissa&lastname=lane&countryid=1&stateid=57&affiliateid=321

The whole thing is so very sad. If Judge Judy could help Grandma Becky with this, I would be her #1 fan for life.

• Love 2

The kid should be lucky to be called Toby. Some more creative parents would choose something like "Tuwalla" .

Milz, "Tuwalla" sounds like a boutique organic juice blend sold at Whole Paycheck...I mean Whole Foods!

The Goodnight family beverage of choice appears to be Sprite --  followed by rolls, bacon, and a lungful of Granny Battleaxe's Marlboro fumes.

Run, Toby, RUN! I hope you can get out of there!!

• Love 2

That's a pecular thing, Intocats; my father also died in 2012, and his obituary is STILL there, in full, at that legacy.com website.  We didn't pay for it, either.  Do you have Melissa's full name?

ETA:  Now that I am thinking about this, legacy.com is a GREAT SCAM!  All those newspapers, filled with obituaries, and they all get funneled into the legacy site, FOR PAY!  Wow what a cash cow for them!  Bastards.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 3

He wasn't being penalized for buying a car online. He was being penalized for buying a 14 year old car "AS IS" and not checking it out in even the most rudimentary or casual way. It's buyer beware and all used cars are sold as is unless there's a warranty. Saying the car runs is not a warranty.

Of course it's not a warranty, but if you sell under the impression that it is a working vehicle, you don't get to ex post facto be like "oh, well, it was sold as is". I think he should've been given his money back if she told him before she took his money that the car was in working order. JJ would've reimbursed him his money if he wasn't able to register the car..."as is" wouldn't suffice. But it's okay to stiff the guy on it not working? Doesn't make sense.

• Love 2

Great JJ three-fer repeat today from 2011!

The last case was golden! "Entitled Erika" Gephardt, whose "Su dinero, mi dinero" attitude toward her best friend landed her in front of the formidable JJ!

Erika received a $2000 loan from her best friend to fix up her home so she could rent it out in order to relocate for her husband's new job in another city. She promised to pay it back when her husband received his signing bonus.

Entitled Erika didn't repay her friend because --

"She has only two kids, I have FIVE!" "She drives a BMW!" "She has childcare and weekly housecleaning!"  "I can't have a job...my KIDS are my job!"  Yada yada yada.

After swearing up and down to JJ that the money was given to her, not loaned, Erika's tongue slipped and uttered the "L" word!

"Judgment for the plaintiff in the amount of $2000"  Giggles all around from the gallery...Entitled Erika threw up her hands.

Love this sweeps week!!

(edited because: in my excitement, I typed three f's in plaintiff!)

Edited by Intocats
  • Love 6

Milz, on 06 Nov 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

I work in a doctor's office, and, unfortunately, I see this all the time. Girlfriends who 1. make doctor's appointments for Loser, 2. fills out the paperwork for him while Loser sits there texting, 3. goes into the exam room with Loser and tells the doctor why Loser is there,  or 4. brings Loser's children to the doctor, taking over parent responsibilities for Loser's children.

Those kinds of losers' will simply replace her w/the same young model over and over again, until they can no longer find, or attract that model. What happens after that? Don't know what they do...

I do.  I saw it all the time when working for the Child Support Enforcement Division. 

Those guys get one young thing after another until they hit their mid 30's, then they hit a dry spell long enough to convince them that it's going to be too hard to find any more young girlfriends.  Suddenly they're all over the lonely unattractive and usually overweight woman who's been alone enough to be happy to take over for daddy of the year.  The bonus for daddy?  Their kids are usually all in school by that point so the new girlfriend can keep her job and start helping to support his family.  After a time, a lot of them 'lose' their job and then girlfriend gets to pay for everything.

• Love 4

Great JJ three-fer repeat today from 2011!

The last case was golden! "Entitled Erika" Gephardt, whose "Su dinero, mi dinero" attitude toward her best friend landed her in front of the formidable JJ!

Erika received a $2000 loan from her best friend to fix up her home so she could rent it out in order to relocate for her husband's new job in another city. She promised to pay it back when her husband received his signing bonus.

Entitled Erika didn't repay her friend because --

"She has only two kids, I have FIVE!" "She drives a BMW!" "She has childcare and weekly housecleaning!"  "I can't have a job...my KIDS are my job!"  Yada yada yada.

After swearing up and down to JJ that the money was given to her, not loaned, Erika's tongue slipped and uttered the "L" word!

"Judgment for the plaintiff in the amount of $2000"  Giggles all around from the gallery...Entitled Erika threw up her hands.

Love this sweeps week!!

(edited because: in my excitement, I typed three f's in plaintiff!)

The hallterview in that case made me sad because Entitled Erika's friend said she still hopes they can be friends someday. She was probably the best friend Entitled Erika will ever have, and Miss Entitled blew that friendship over $2,000. I suspect if Erika had even offered to pay a portion of that loan (er, gift), her friend would have been happy. She made her friend feel like a sucker, which is why she got sued and embarrassed on national TV.

I don't always agree with JJ's "My America" schtick, but I agree with her comment about this case. One person having success doesn't entitle another to a portion of it. Erika chose to have five children, and one of the ramifications of that is that she may not be able to afford all of the things her friend, who only has two, can afford. One's life isn't necessarily better than the other; they just made different choices. That her friend made choices that left her with more disposable income doesn't entitle Erika (heh) to borrow from her and not pay it back.

Here's a personal anecdote: My sister and her hubby have six kids. They support them with no financial assistance from the government or our family. They both manage to work full-time (so it can be done), and their children are well taken care of. I have no children. I have a nicer house than my sister, a fancier car than my sister, and have traveled more extensively than my sister has. And you know what? Neither of us would trade our lives for the other's. She loves being a mom and has six great kids and a really cool hubby to show for it. I go to her house and can tolerate the chaos for about two or three hours tops and then retreat to the sanctity and quiet of my own. She comes to my house for Sunday football games and, after a few hours, is ready to return to her chateau of chaos. My point is that different people make different choices, and how dare Entitled Erika begrudge her friend for having made different choices than she did.

• Love 11

Milz, "Tuwalla" sounds like a boutique organic juice blend sold at Whole Paycheck...I mean Whole Foods!

The Goodnight family beverage of choice appears to be Sprite --  followed by rolls, bacon, and a lungful of Granny Battleaxe's Marlboro fumes.

Run, Toby, RUN! I hope you can get out of there!!

Okay, what about "Havah" or "Wotta"  or "Itza"?

• Love 2

did she actually quit her job

Really???  IMO this makes no sense.  I know people love their pets like their children but to give up your job.  I don't get it.  My granddaughter was hit by a car a couple of years ago. She suffered a broken leg and  three ligaments in the knee of her other leg were torn.  She had three surgeries and was in the hospital for three weeks.  Since she was away at college when this happen my daughter and son-in-law had to go to Lansing to be with her.  They took time off from work and when she came home (in a wheelchair because of the surgeries) family and friends relieved them so they could go back to work.  Quitting their jobs was never given a thought.  She's doing fine now back in school and working hard (with two gainfully employed parents).  People make strange decisions ....  I know this sounds judgmental, so I apologize to anyone I've offended with this OT rant.

• Love 4
Okay, what about "Havah" or "Wotta"  or "Itza"?

Goodluck N. Goodnight

Thanku N. Goodnight

or should unfortunate child have been a girl

Goodnight, Nurse

Goodnight, Gracie

Truly Toby, despite not being a very good name for a cricket, is an OK name compared to what could have been. 

• Love 1

Really???  IMO this makes no sense.  I know people love their pets like their children but to give up your job.

I am the biggest sap when it comes to injured animals but even I wouldn't have quit my job - maybe I would have taken a few days off (I went to work a few days after knee surgery with a walker and last week showed up at work right after having a root canal with my mouth still numb) and then kenneled the dog in a secure location (like a bathroom) with newspaper on the floor and had people check on him during the day. There are dog sitters that will come during the day. 

Thank you for warning me about Entitled Erika - now I won't have to be yelling at my TV set because my ire will be defused. 

• Love 1

I know people love their pets like their children but to give up your job.

I think it was clear from the "I HAD to quit my job!" and the annoying croc tears that she's insane and I really think she expected to be compensated by the defs. for her insanity.  I love my pets dearly and would do anything for them, except lose my income. That makes no sense by anybody's standards.

I have a friend whose dog needed care each day after surgery. She didn't QUIT HER JOB. She hired a vet tech who wanted to make a little extra money to come in each evening while my friend worked and do whatever needed doing.

• Love 2

Bunny Eared Hell Hound - Another dog bite case!  Now we have adults that sign up to take dogs for walks twice a day for a dog's overly long life span, rain or shine, snow or sleet, that are passing on the responsibility of picking up canine feces, putting them into bags, and walking the dog and its steaming pile in a bag until the next public garbage receptable onto their children.  Never mind that the dog weighs the same as the child.  The most pathetic plaintiff of the year had a photograph as a defense.  Yes, a photo of his raging devil-beast wearing novelty bunny ears, and shouting out: "could this dog have done what he's being accused of?" or some such.  Schmuck.  Like that's going to fool anyone.  I bet he thought he was a real Renaissance man blurting out to JJ: "Do you want me to play back the tape?"  Shut up, knucklehead, only JJ has the right to utter this sacred sentence from her altar.  May you burn in hell with your cannibalistic Cerberus.  We here do not suffer such tomfoolery as talking back to JJ.  You did not endear yourself.  Imbecile.

Adorable Destroyers of Cars - Cutest kid to ever be on television.  Nicest plaintiff ever.  Does she bake cookies everyday and invite all the kids to come after school and tell her about how their day went?  Is her house made of gingerbread?  Are her shingles licorice?  How dare the defendant imply that this fairy godmother of the streets should falsely accuse that darling little devil on a red bike!

Crashing Lies - I have to watch this one again to figure out why JJ ruled against the plaintiff so quickly towards the end, it reminded me of the "but there was no earpiece" case except I didn't get it.  Put on your thinking caps on, fellow previouslies!  In any event, I believed the plaintiff that she pretended to have been driving the car to save her friend's her mom's wrath and the horrible punishment of having her graduation party cancelled.  Mind you, and accident is an accident, the kids are punished enough already.  But then to sue the friend who took the blame for you?  I hated fat mom's smug smile and knowing nods the whole time through.  Maybe she put her daughter up to it and she had to keep up the charade.  In the hallterview, it looks like the punishment of party cancellation had gone through anyway.  What's up?

A Pox On Both Your Houses - So your boyfriend cheated on you, you left him, that doesn't mean you get to sue him for assaulting him and leaving him to pay the whole rent etc.  Worth it to see Byrd finally lose it.

• Love 4
Milz, "Tuwalla" sounds like a boutique organic juice blend sold at Whole Paycheck...I mean Whole Foods!

You had it right the first time. I've had to turn so many tricks just to get some organic flaxseed it's not even funny. I stand right next to the potted plants outside the store ringing a bell like the Salvation Army people, except I'm saying "y'all know a bitch got bills".

• Love 5

Really???  IMO this makes no sense.  I know people love their pets like their children but to give up your job.  I don't get it.  My granddaughter was hit by a car a couple of years ago. She suffered a broken leg and  three ligaments in the knee of her other leg were torn.  She had three surgeries and was in the hospital for three weeks.  Since she was away at college when this happen my daughter and son-in-law had to go to Lansing to be with her.  They took time off from work and when she came home (in a wheelchair because of the surgeries) family and friends relieved them so they could go back to work.  Quitting their jobs was never given a thought.  She's doing fine now back in school and working hard (with two gainfully employed parents).  People make strange decisions ....  I know this sounds judgmental, so I apologize to anyone I've offended with this OT rant.

I lost sympathy for her when she showed up at the defendants door and told them they owed her 13K and to "start selling stuff". The defendants seemed like nice people, if she was reasonable I'm sure they would have come to some agreement with her. I hit someone's dog a long time ago. It was off leash and running in the street, I had no way to avoid hitting it. It up and ran like the wind the lady owner in pursuit. I waited for 30 minutes for them to return to see if the dog was injured, then went on to work, a block away from the accident site. When I left work that day I saw the dog being walked (on leash) in the park across from work, this time by the husband , I approached him (big mistake) and told him I had hit his dog earlier that day and hoped it was okay. He started screaming at me and calling for someone to call the police (my boss did) and that his dog needed surgery (it was limping) and I was going to be arrested for leaving the scene of an accident etc etc.

The cops came and basically told me I was a fool to even have approached the guy, the dog was off leash and any injuries were his problem. Eventually the guy contacted my insurance carrier with a wild story of how I left the scene speeding  and taking the corner on TWO WHEELS!!!( he wasn't even there) but got nothing from them.

Ironically, had he been reasonable, my then younger more naïve animal loving self would probably have paid at least half the cost of whatever care the dog needed.

• Love 3

The unfortunate-looking taco girl was disliked by Judge Judy from the start.  I love when she hates a litigant immediately -- there's no warm-up time, it's just game on.  Taco Girl was so self-righteous when she said, with an angry, quivering voice, "I only took a break ONCE while working at Taco Cabana."  Well, it was one too many because you wrecked the car on that break.  Toaster Strudel is right about the smugness of the mom...I was hoping that JJ would have blasted her for pulling faces.  

The man who thought it was okay to have his child walk the 80-lb. Bull Mastiff/Easter Bunny was a lazy fool.  He looked like a slick character, and his "do you want to see the tape?" was so dickish.  I wish parents would not lie to other adults in front of their children.  I mean, in real life, it's not a huge deal to let a little white lie slip.  My grandmother used to make me ring the doorbell so she could get off of the phone with her talkative friend...no harm, no foul.  And I thank my dearly departed Gammy for teaching me that fib; I use it to this day.  It just bums me out when these adults take an oath (does Byrd hold a bible?  I don't even know.), and then they lie while their child is completely aware of the deceit.  I don't care if it's a TV show or not; they are setting a terrible and dangerous example.  

Omari was absolutely precious.  He was so attentive to JJ for the whole case -- I think he was mesmerized by her!  I want a Carla Jones as a neighbor.  None of my neighbors talk, and I'm too much of an introvert to make the first move.  She seemed so warm and friendly -- and another little neighborhood boy comes over to discuss his day with her...Love it!  Mom wasn't even convincing herself when she said,"Umm, my son doesn't lie."  Now come on.  I spent many years teaching little Omaris (and some bigger Omaris), and they can be quite skilled at bending the truth.  There were many times I had to fight the urge to laugh when they'd spout their fiction.  One year, one of my little guys and I laughed for a whole school year about the time he snuck food to recess and I asked him if he had secretly taken some of his lunch to the yard...he looked up at me with his big saucer eyes and strongly said, "No" with a mouth full of saltine crackers.   I had such a good laugh!

Speaking of having a good laugh - I also loved seeing Byrd crack up over "a pox on both your houses."  But JJ had no time for his laugh break.  She just barked, "WHAT?!" at him, and gave him a 'back to business' look.

• Love 7
QuoteQuote

A Pox On Both Your Houses - So your boyfriend cheated on you, you left him, that doesn't mean you get to sue him for assaulting him and leaving him to pay the whole rent etc.  Worth it to see Byrd finally lose it.

In an otherwise ho-hum assault, throwing things, fucking savages case, watching Byrd really crack up did indeed make it all worthwhile. I cracked up right along with him.

QuoteQuote

The most pathetic (defendant) of the year had a photograph as a defense.

Pathetic is right. Poor "Hailee", with this insecure, short-armed, passive-aggressive little muppet as a dad, refusing to take responsibility and coaching his daughter to lie. What kind of parent lets a little child walk a huge dog he's had for only 3 months? He deserved an even worse tongue-lashing than he got.

QuoteQuoteI hated fat mom's smug smile and knowing nods the whole time through.

Me too. Hated. Sorry this quote thing got all messed up.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

- I have to watch this one again to figure out why JJ ruled against the plaintiff so quickly towards the end, it reminded me of the "but there was no earpiece" case except I didn't get it.

Something happened with someone texting the taco joint. The person that answered the phone knew that JJ was calling and faked that the witness couldn't come to the phone. JJ said what is "Oh because why"? So the person answering was briefed on the lie hence "Oh because". Then they realized they were suppose to be in the dark about the call and said "Why?" JJ then just strung her along cuz she amuses herself like a cat with a mouse.

I had to watch it twice. That's my theory

• Love 5

I am the biggest sap when it comes to injured animals but even I wouldn't have quit my job - maybe I would have taken a few days off (I went to work a few days after knee surgery with a walker and last week showed up at work right after having a root canal with my mouth still numb) and then kenneled the dog in a secure location (like a bathroom) with newspaper on the floor and had people check on him during the day. There are dog sitters that will come during the day. 

Katy, the Double-Dipping Dog Lady, may not have liked her job very much and her dog's injury could be the excuse she was looking for to quit and get sympathy.

Could anyone tell...was this a condo or townhouse complex? How in the holy heck can someone house FOUR dogs in their condo (even small dogs)? A friend of mine fosters a specific medium-sized breed of dog. He currently has five of them in a large house with a huge backyard, and says that is really too much dog for the space.

I will have to say, that little dog was adorable.

Edited by Intocats

Catching up on a few cases.

Next we move on to the epitome of first world problems, an understaffed spa!  Oh no!  The ladies had to get their massages in sequence rather than simultaneously!  Their cuticles weren't attended to!  Their nail color was freshened up by unlicensed nail techs!

I was not surprised when pampered JJ sympathised with the plaintiff's wrenchingly tragic predicament and ruled in her favour. Especially since the spa owner's answers were very incoherent (to be frank, she seemed to be under the influence of a very effective substance). And even though something was also off with the plaintiff, but the defendant could not manage to bring anything forward that could weaken the customer's story and compensate for the spa's failure to provide the apparently expected service.

JJ started out trying to be patient with the deaf son but he was incoherent and childish, so back off to his seat he was summoned.

I thought he came across as functionally dependant on his loathsome mother to help him through the simplest aspects of daily life, thus his unwillingness to contradict her. As others said, I am not certain that the other grandmother's motives are completely pure, but she certainly was much more presentable as a human being than the one who oversees that poor child's schooling (or lack thereof).

The owner was totally emo with this dog, did she actually quit her job and expected the neighbors to cough up 13K instead of $50 for euthanasia, which would have been the reasonable option?

But you do not understand; she is not just a pet owner, she is a "pet parent" an these are her baaaabies. And who would not make every sacrifice, including one's job, for their widdle childwen, human or not?

Seriously, I would not be surprised if her transparent act as an overemotional and fragile victim has worked for her in the past and earned her the sympathy of some gullible people; after all, the property owners did give her a sizeable amount of money for her supposed sufferings, but maybe that was just to wave away any prospect of a lawsuit. And I wonder who is more emotionally dependant on the other (and scarred from it): the dog or its owner (sorry... its "pet mommy").

Sonia needs a refresher course on the layout of her own home because in case of a fire, she will head for the wrong side of the house looking for the door.

I believed the plaintiff that she pretended to have been driving the car to save her friend's her mom's wrath and the horrible punishment of having her graduation party cancelled.

The mother looked like a nasty piece of work, with a temper to be feared. No wonder the daughter did not want to tell her the truth. I think Judy ruled so quickly in the end because she may have interpreted that virago getting in touch with Theresa the supervisor as an attempt to put pressure on a potential witness.

As for the dog-bite-dog case, the defendant certainly came across as a sleazeball, ready to excuse anything his precious bunny-eared mutt could do; his holding up the picture was really a pathetic attempt at putting forward a defence. I am sorry for his daughters, not only because they have to be raised by him but because he probably gave them a long explanation about how he was the real winner in the case (if the award was paid from the producers' funds, I suppose he was indeed a winner because he is not liable for further payments).

Omari was absolutely precious.  He was so attentive to JJ for the whole case -- I think he was mesmerized by her!

Omari may have been the one to benefit most from today's cases; he learned that telling the truth is the best policy.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 4

Omari may have been the one to benefit most from today's cases; he learned that telling the truth is the best policy.

Little Omari could give lessons in honesty to his parents, who clearly didn't want to do the right thing.  I loved the kind-natured plaintiff, Carla Jones. I wish she lived in my neighborhood!

• Love 5

]Could anyone tell...was this a condo or townhouse complex? How in the holy heck can someone house FOUR dogs in their condo (even small dogs)? A friend of mine fosters a specific medium-sized breed of dog. He currently has five of them in a large house with a huge backyard, and says that is really too much dog for the space.

I think the woman said that they were "cottages."  

Could someone please recap the Taco Cabana Car Crash Caper? I actually had to have real life today, and missed that episode. It sounds like a doozie!!! I'm getting bits and pieces. Very intrigued by the possibility that JJ made a phone call to someone who had been tipped off?! Hmmmmm

Bunny Eared Hell Hound (tm Toaster Strudel) - no kidding.  Sadly, only got to watch that episode. Yick. Lucky his daughter didn't need stitches from falling, or knocking teeth out, etc.

Watched a repeat today of a bunch of unlikeable teens who had a spitting and "obscene gesture" contest. Took up the whole half hour, and I couldn't even keep up. JJ earned her $$ for sitting through that one. Can't believe it made it through production to be shown. Snooze.

Very tired of dog bite cases.

• Love 2

Judge Judy was absolutely adorable w/Omari. It really wasn't that big of a damn deal. Mom just pay the nice neighbor. Geez. Your son made a mistake. No big deal. Just put on your big girl panties and realize kids lie. Even to good mothers. They are not horrible. They are just kids. They get scared, and they lie. It happens. And on the real. Mom better get ready b/c that sweet little boy is going to lie to you again at some point. Hopefully she will think about this and realize she was wrong. And be more able to handle "lying" better next time.

• Love 5

I know JJ prides herself on catching people in a lie, but does anybody else think she's a little extra about it? Well, it's Judge Judy, so yeah she's extra. But I mean, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you look for in a case is the part that seems true and the part that seems untrue, suddenly everybody is a liar. It seems like every case just becomes an episode of Lie to Me. It just seems like every case is mostly just an exercise to see if she can catch a lying liar telling lies, and it's like, at a certain point, the cases are more about her old wealthy white lady temper tantrums than about the litigants.

• Love 2

The mother looked like a nasty piece of work, with a temper to be feared

And an outfit to be mocked. Nice capri pants, lady.

I was somewhat annoyed to not have actually seen the dreaded "Judge Judy Makes a Phone Call" segment.

As for the Mastiff-mix bite case, that guy was a T-Rex'd arm tool. I wonder if when he went to get his haircut he told the barber to make sure he gave him a cut that would make him look like a bigger douchebag than he already was.

I am getting tired of the "no car insurance" cases. I have driven cars and paid car insurance for more than 30 years and never once did the insurance lapse. Who ARE these people?!

And an outfit to be mocked. Nice capri pants, lady.

I was somewhat annoyed to not have actually seen the dreaded "Judge Judy Makes a Phone Call" segment.

As for the Mastiff-mix bite case, that guy was a T-Rex'd arm tool. I wonder if when he went to get his haircut he told the barber to make sure he gave him a cut that would make him look like a bigger douchebag than he already was.

I am getting tired of the "no car insurance" cases. I have driven cars and paid car insurance for more than 30 years and never once did the insurance lapse. Who ARE these people?!

We call them litigants!

There are a lot of uninsured and underinsured drivers out there. That's why it's important to adequately insure your own vehicle. Unless you have a car you can afford to replace with cash in the event of an accident, full coverage is imperative. In most states, uninsured coverage is just for bodily injury, not property damage. So it's a good idea to carry comp and collision as well. Also, the less valuable the car is, the lower the premiums will be.

Edited by teebax

RE:  The dog mother who had to quit her job and Sonia who needs help getting in and out of her house:

Did anyone else think that the layout of cottages and common space was the weirdest damn thing you'd ever seen?

Also, the less valuable the car is, the lower the premiums will

One would think. Our two vehicles get older every year, and our insurance goes up every freaking year. We've always wondered why the opposite isn't true.

• Love 1

Could someone please recap the Taco Cabana Car Crash Caper?

Plaintiff: Mayra's mom

Defendant: Thai Johnna

JJ interrogates Mayra first.  She tells some confused story that skips the actual accident entirely, just some vague before and after, so JJ backs up and starts again to flesh it out in chronological order.  We find out that Thai Johnna asked to borrow Mayra's car (her mom's actually) to run some errands.  Mayra refused, so Thai Johnna stole her keys and took the car without permission.  Add some extraneous information that Mayra's shift was longer than Thai Johnna's.  JJ asks Mayra if she lent Thai Johnna the car before.  She says that she once did to drive to the bank which is across the street (maybe they live in Salt Lake City where "across the street" is a couple of miles).  Now JJ doesn't believe Mayra that she would lend the car once, but not the next time.  Mayra explains that away saying that there was talk that Thai Johnna was borrowing cars too often.  JJ asked Mayra if she had seen Thai Johnna borrow someone else's car.  The answer was "no."

Then she turns to Thai Johnna, who has a completely different story, which is laden with a multitude of trivial details that make her very believable.  The restaurant was slow, and the supervisor (Theresa) sent them both on breaks.  They went to Wal-Mart.  It was raining a lot.  In the parking lot as Mayra was making a turn to park, the car aquaplaned (Thai Johnna's word!) and they ended up in a pole.  Mayra was hysterical and the Wal-Mart employees came out to see if everyone was OK.  They suggested that Mayra not drive again because she was too upset.  Mayra asked Thai Johnna to take the blame for her.  She was afraid that her mother would whoop her and punish her harshly, but felt that her friend would be untouchable with regards to Mayra's mom's wrath.  Mayra drove the wreck back to Taco Cabana, and the story trails off.

JJ decides to call Theresa at Taco Cabana.  We don't see the call, but we see JJ coming out of chambers with steam shooting out of her ears and waving her finger angrily at Mayra.  I'm not sure what happened but it seems like JJ believed that the witness had been tampered with not to speak to JJ.  JJ asked "what is: oh because why?" but I'm not sure if that is something that was texted between the witness and Mayra, or some strange answer she got from her phone call.  She asked both girls if they were still working there.  Both claimed not to.  In her protestations Mayra blurts out that both girls, Theresa, and Mayra's mother were there together after the accident to look at the damage, and JJ threw everyone out.

In the hallterview Mayra complained that the big graduation party that had been planned for months had been canned because the car was wrecked - supporting the theory that Mayra's mother knew that Mayra was the one that wrecked the car.

Now that I think about it, JJ might have thought that they were scamming the show at Thai Johnna's expense.  Thai Johnna symbolically took the blame for her friend, but the car was probably uninsured for damages, and Mayra's mother decided to take Thai Johnna to Judge Judy so that the show pays for the car at no expense to Thai Johnna.  I don't think Thai Johnna was in on the scam at all, but Theresa was and that's why she didn't want to talk to JJ.

Mayra's mom punished Mayra, so she knew that Mayra wrecked the car, yet she was suing that poor Thai Johnna?  They were scamming the show for sure but we the viewers only knew this for a fact during the hallterview.  JJ must have figured it out during that telephone call somehow.  That's my guess but there may be better ones out there.

• Love 6

Thank you for saying it so much more colourfully than I did. bwahaha!

Excellent play-by-play, Toaster Strudel!

Toaster Strudel, that was magnificent. I knew you'd come through! The smoke shooting out of JJ's ears - I can see it so clearly! hee.  It certainly sounds like it was a scam (on Mayra's mom's part). Love that the plaintiffs nearly admitted as much before getting thrown out. Of course, they'll be famous back home now, so I'm sure they feel like it was a win-win all around. (except for the not getting money to fix the cars, part.)   Nice work. Thank you! 

Big round of applause for Toaster Strudel!!

I sometimes wonder if we won't see some of these folks back on, in a defamation case. Some of 'em would be justified, and probably win.

• Love 3
(edited)

Thanks guys but now you have to help me figure out what it was about both girls, Theresa and Mayra's mom examining the damage together after the accident that pushed JJ over the edge.  Not everyone is as smart as JJ!  Sad but true!

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 1

I think what happened is: Daughter wrecked the car with her friend as a passenger.  They came up with the story that Friend was driving so that Daughter could go to the party?  They HAD to inform Mom of the damage, why the Friend agreed to this is beyond me.

• Love 1

One would think. Our two vehicles get older every year, and our insurance goes up every freaking year. We've always wondered why the opposite isn't true.

Insurance goes up when rates go up, so it may go up every year, but it shouldn't by very much, unless your driving record or credit score changes.

My point is that it's less expensive for full coverage on an older car than it is on a new one.

• Love 1

Now that I think about it, JJ might have thought that they were scamming the show at Thai Johnna's expense.  

Whoa, Toaster Strudel -- completely brilliant observation!  

The unknowns in that case bug me.  Inquiring minds want to know.  

- Did Judge Judy actually speak with Theresa and scare the facts out of her?  Did Theresa actually avoid the call?  What the hell happened on that phone call?

- What was JJ referring to when she reentered the courtroom?  A text to Theresa?  

- Was the text "Oh because why?" or was it "Oh because y" and after the y, it cut off....and it was meant to say something like "Oh because you said you wanted us to go on break because it wasn't busy" (or some other fake detail).  

- Mayra mentioned having dinner with Theresa the week before taping.  So, if Mayra (and presumably, her annoying mother) were prepping Theresa to be their witness, then why all the shock and fear surrounding JJ's threats to call Theresa?  

- And, yes, why the abrupt ending?  

• Love 2

As I said earlier, I initially thought that JJ concluded that the mother had pressured Theresa into not testifying or perhaps lying, but she may have considered it was more a case of tampering with evidence or of collusion. All unforgivable actions in any court, even a fake one like hers.

They took time off from work and when she came home (in a wheelchair because of the surgeries) family and friends relieved them so they could go back to work.  Quitting their jobs was never given a thought.

The quivering dog lady would probably say that they clearly did not love her enough to make the right choice, as she so selflessly did for her pooch.

I still am not sure if she was a genuine kook or just plain manipulative with that fake vulnerability act.

It may also be a combination of both.

• Love 4