Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Sparks Fly

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

? I am the only one who watched? I am not used to being first. 

The idea of an alliance is to keep it secret as long as possible, I fell the girl alliance will fail since they don't understand that and they are not the majority. 

• Love 3

Worst flash challenge concept of all time. "let's use car batteries to fry designs onto a canvas". How can you give someone a legitimate critique after failing with that medium? Doesn't make any sense and has little to do with artistic ability. 

I remember a previous contestant once saying that they thought watercolor tattoos were the ugliest tattoos of them all, and it's not super hard to disagree with that assessment. I thought that Nikki and Kelly had nice tattoos. Sketchy and Eric's weren't incredible but were more or less aesthetically pleasing. Kevin's was weird but I oddly found myself liking it. But wow- Sirvone and Tito produced some putrid tattoos. Not super mad that Sirvone was sent home because Tito is likely next. As a matter of fact, can we just skip ahead to Team Nunez being Nikki, Kelly, Eric, and Sketchy? I know they are only narrowing it down to 5 before changing things up but its pretty obvious that those 4 are the only ones on the team that will last long term. 

Still hate the female alliance edit that the show is for some reason force-feeding the audience. They even mentioned "battle of the sexes" in the preview for this episode. Which would be totally fine if, oh I don't know, this season was actually a battle of the sexes. Gia and Ryan speaking out during judging the past 2 weeks has rubbed me the wrong way. Even the cockiest, most arrogant Dbags (of which there have been many) kept their mouths shut during someone else's critique. Who knows whether others are similarly speaking up or not in a similar fashion, but the edit of the show certainly wants you to think that the girls are the only ones doing it. The thing is, I'm all for a girls alliance. There have been numerous "bro" alliances (Joey and Jime, Scott and Matty, etc) that no one ever complained about. It's just a shame that it's being portrayed through such a sinister and immature angle. I'm a grown man, I don't care about this elementary school playground boy vs girl crap. 

Looking forward more to Team Peck next week. I personally believe the competition for the final 5 is tougher to predict on his side. I think  Ryan, Mike, and Gian are the best, and it's sort of a toss up between Nate, Boneface, Gia, and Matt, for the other 2 spots. We'll see

• Love 5

I'm on record as being against the stupid non-tattoo flash challenges, but until I see Peck's and Nunez's own electrical art, they can blow me with their criticisms.

And what's next? Let's have the tattooists do needlepoint! You have five hours to create a combined new school/Japanese style image of the grand canyon on this 6' x 6' piece of alligator skin! An ink master should know how to spin the thread first.

I didn't understand the reasoning behind the skull assignments but didn't care, either.

50 minutes ago, Inkmaster0345 said:

Gia and Ryan speaking out during judging the past 2 weeks has rubbed me the wrong way. Even the cockiest, most arrogant Dbags (of which there have been many) kept their mouths shut during someone else's critique.

Yeah, what the hell? Unless they are specifically being asked to comment, keep it zipped everyone.

• Love 3

They really hit a new low with the flash challenge.  One person figured out how to make it work.  The rest of them were barely holding on.  They didn't need to waste time pretending to deliberate.  Kevin absolutely had the best piece.

There have always been easier and harder canvases, but it seems particularly extreme this season (or I have a terrible memory - just as likely).  Every challenge there are one or more people who want a tattoo that cannot be completed well in 6 hours.  I miss Josh and his ability to convince canvases to get something that could be done well in the time and within the challenge.  Kelly did not look happy when Miss I'm-having-a-bad-day-so-give-me-an-easy-canvas started talking about how her tattoo was better. 

The editors did a weird cut from Tito pursing his lips to a shot of Dave.  It made it look like Tito was blowing a kiss to Dave.  That would change the dynamic.

• Love 2

I personally don't care if my fabulous tattooist cannot draw with batteries and wires--or for that matter, pump his own gas, win a hot-dog-eating contest, double-dutch jump rope, land a plane in distress, clean a gutter, do a Russian split, rob a Target, trim my hair, knit a scarf, play a xylophone, solve crimes, or churn butter...and anything else that has nothing to do with giving me good tattoos! (Though I am enjoying picturing him doing some of these things.)

• Love 11

I realize I'm probably alone in my opinion, but I did not like Nikki's water color heart at all.  That large dark hole in the center shading the separation between the aorta and pulmonary artery...  The tattoo looks like it will fade quickly and leave that big dark circle in the center.  

Ink_Master_Gallery_805_nikki_simpson.jpg

• Love 3

Worst flash challenge ever. I like that they mix it up with different methods, but this one was absolute stupidity. Maybe if they had more time it could have worked. Giving them a few hours to work with that? I don't know what they were thinking. Most of them looked like elementary school drawings, some worse.

In the elimination, I'm surprised they chose Nikki (who's starting to annoy me a ton) over Kelly. That wolf was one of the best tattoos of the season thus far. It was a little odd they both had the same color palette though. I personally would've sent Tito home if they were going by report cards, he's done nothing so far. At least Sirvone had a win.

Edited by Apatee
  • Love 1

I thought both were really nice, but I preferred Kelly's too...but I am partial to wolves.

It's weird--I like looking at nicely executed watercolor tattoos but I just don't want one. My tattoo guy suggested it for my most recent one and I loved it...but didn't want it. Same with black and gray (which he knows by now to not even bother asking).

• Love 1

Flash challenge was stupid. That had nothing to do with tattoos. I don't care if they knew how to use electricity on a canvas as long as they know how to put ink on my body, that is all I care about. And I would love to see Peck, Nunez and Dave do it and see wtf they come up with. Fuckers. This is why I hate Alex Trebec, he has the answers in front of him and acts like a Douche to the contestants when I would like to see how many answers her gets. Same for these judges, have them do the flash challenge and see what the hell they come up with. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Apatee said:

Nikki (who's starting to annoy me a ton)

She has a stank face on when she looses, when she is pissed, when she wins and when she is walking into the scene. Lighten up a bit. I'm also not a fan of the solid black tattoos that seem to be popular right now.

I have been wanting to add a watercolor tattoo to my stable of tats, either a watercolor Phoenix or watercolor under a sister symbol my sisters and I are getting. Kelly is the only one of the group I would allow to do any watercolor on me. Loved how she blended the colors.

I still have no idea how the game will be played once they have five from each team.

The flash challenge was a dud, did they not check it out ahead of time? I really just like seeing nice tattoos, I don't want to see all of this childish bickering and alliances. I also think by having this Nunez versus Peck season, the judges (minus Dave) are just not being fair. I'm so tired of the skull pick nonsense with people swearing vengeance if they get a bad pick. Just once, I would like the picker to say "Someone has to do the tattoo, who should I give it to then". I have never seen a watercolor tattoo before and the colors were lovely on most of them. I actually thought the tree of life was pretty cool but it didn't seem like a watercolor. I wish they could have some sort of rules that the clients (canvas) have to adhere to. Such as, if you want a tattoo free of charge, you cannot ask for something that will not allow the artist to complete the challenge. It's a damned if you do or don't kind of situation. If they don't give the canvas the exact thing they want, the judges complain about that, if they do give it to them and it doesn't fit the challenge, they get bitched at about that too.

I know they say a great tattoo wins out at the end of the day, but these artist are working under time constraints and trying to fulfill a challenge. I want way less complaining and bitching. 

• Love 1

Okay, it's official.  I hate the team concept.  I don't understand how they decided that Kevin won the flash challenge (which was insane) and that meant his team would be up for elimination?  Huh?  Did everyone do the car battery art work crap?  Or just Team Nunez?  Frankly, I can't even keep track of who is on what team.  I hate the team concept.

Ryan can STFU like yesterday.  When the judges are critiquing, no one other than the judges and the artist who did the tattoo should be talking.  

I am a female but I am totally over the female "alliance."  We know.  You chicks have an alliance.  Unfortunately so does everyone else competing, which may make some of you easier targets to take out.  I think it was Sketchy who pointed out to Ryan that she and Kelly/Nikki were NOT on the same team.  Good point. 

I don't like watercolor tattoos and this episode was a perfect example of why.  I didn't like any of the tattoos particularly.  I would have voted Kelly as the best over Nikki's heart but I generally dislike anatomical hearts as tattoos.  I may be the proverbial on the way to hell handbasket but I was secretly hoping that Nikki's self-promotion would cause a rift with her and Kelly.  Also couldn't stand her whining about how if she got a tough canvas, she would absolutely lose it.  Kevin made a mistake there in not giving her a difficult canvas.  No one who gets ridiculously overemotional and overreacts becomes Ink Master.  Ask Sarah Miller about that. 

I also would not have sent Sirvan home over his tattoo.  I would have gone with Tito, which is definitely weaker than Sirvan from what I've seen.

Looks like next week the females and their alliance get a wake up call.  

Still love Dave.  Still miss Josh.

• Love 3

In this set-up, with all the bullshit of the other team getting to screw you over, having people on the other side is the smartest thing to do. Your team can't do shit to you. The other team can. And the fact that the women were aligned definitely worked to their advantage this episode. It was fairly clear that he didn't want to piss any of them off. Good for them. Playing the game helped Anthony and Christian last season. The game got Cleen to the end. Nothing wrong with playing the game you have been given. 

We have had people comment during judging before, so whatever. 

I didn't hate this flash challenge as much as the fucking sand castles. It was very similar to the leather challenge several seasons back. I wish they all had something to do with actual tattooing, but this wasn't even the worst one this season. 

Loving the women sticking together. Seen too many women in too many industries fucked over by the boys' club. Watched Nunez fuck over too many talented women on this show. Love women who don't crumble when the boys start pouting about not being catered to. Fuck 'em. 

How many passes for shitty tattoos does Tito get? Finally, someone suggested that he just might be overrated. You think? He's been one of the worst every week, but he gets to stay. 

• Love 8

I do love the watercolour style but as far as I am aware the jury is still out on how well they will age (which is what stops me from getting one).

How is it in a girl's alliance Nikki gets to self-promote over Kelly? That's just silly - they both knew they were safe so stfu Nikki.

I don't think that anyone has a problem with the female alliance. The problem is that the entire storyline has been overplayed and it's only the 5th episode. The women are sticking together to help one another out in a traditionally male dominated industry (and show). Great, no problems there. However my problem is that we never get a break from it. The episode preview advertised it as a "battle of the sexes" (isn't this season a battle of the teams?), there was talk of the alliance during the flash challenge, during the skull picks, and the girls have also been shown speaking out the past 2 eliminations. Yes people have spoken out in previous seasons, but never with the same degrading and condescending tone that Ryan used last night. Go back and find any previous judging interruption you want, I guarantee you her's was more blatantly harsh. 

Maybe the reason the show has been edited to emphasize this theme is because the team idea has been such a failure. These artists were placed on teams and then have done nothing but compete against their own team the entire time. In fact, assuming it's narrowed down to a final 4 which will then face off for the final 3 spots, about half of the overall challenges will be a team competing against itself--doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of being a team? 

If they want to talk about the female alliance the whole time, fine, but just do a battle of the sexes season. Edit the episodes differently so I'm not stuck listening to boys vs girls for the next 12 weeks. 

• Love 3
On 9/21/2016 at 9:10 PM, psychoticstate said:

I am a female but I am totally over the female "alliance."  We know.  You chicks have an alliance.  Unfortunately so does everyone else competing, which may make some of you easier targets to take out.  I think it was Sketchy who pointed out to Ryan that she and Kelly/Nikki were NOT on the same team.  Good point.

I don't mind the alliance, but I'm liking some of the people in it less and less. 

I don't think that they're actually on teams.  Sure, they're calling it a team, but there aren't team challenges.  These "teams" don't help each other in any way.  In fact, the "team" is nothing but the competition.  In a show like Survivor, sure they vote off people from their own tribe, but before that happens they do actually win or lose together, as a group.  Which means there's at least some debate about if they want to keep strong players in at the beginning... why would you keep a strong player in Ink Master?  It makes sense for them to aim at their own "team."  Maybe when it gets to top 10 the format will change so that these teams matter more.  Right now, when it comes down to it, it looks like the only difference between this season and the other seasons is that they're taking turns on which group is competing each week and one of the judges is going to go around bragging that they had the winner on their "team."

Just to be clear... I'd rather they just had a straight forward competition.  I'm not enjoying the whining or ridiculous comments along the lines of "how could you give that canvas to someone on your own team."

Edited by nemesis
  • Love 1

Honestly, I would not be surprised at all if the "girls" speaking out at judging are not the ONLY ones speaking out. But, of course, it's Ink Master, so we must edit to make females = bitches. It does bother me a bit they are actually acting like spoiled children, with that whole, why would you give ME that canvas? I loved what someone above said about coming back and saying, someone has to have it. OR, well, I'm trying to get rid of the strongest competitors, so you should take it as a compliment? I had been liking Ryan quite a bit, but she's getting on my nerves now and I've never totally cared about Gia or Nikki. That tat Gia has on her forehead makes me twitch, for some reason.

The whole team thing has me mystified, too. I don't even see the purpose of it. Maybe it's supposed to be more like The Voice? They're on teams but all they do is compete against each other. So I'm guessing it's that type of scenario.

Speaking of teams: Team Kelly!!

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2
On 9/22/2016 at 10:32 AM, Inkmaster0345 said:

Yes people have spoken out in previous seasons, but never with the same degrading and condescending tone that Ryan used last night. Go back and find any previous judging interruption you want, I guarantee you her's was more blatantly harsh. 

You're sure of that, huh? This entire show has been about being harsh. Men have been harsh and vicious for season after season, including at judging. Strong women do it, and it's suddenly a problem.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

You're sure of that, huh? This entire show has been about being harsh. Men have been harsh and vicious for season after season, including at judging. Strong women do it, and it's suddenly a problem.

It's always been a problem, have you not read these boards? People hate the douche bag attitudes this show portrays. You seem to have a bone to pick with men, as your post consistently bash the men in the show (or men in general).

Edited by Apatee
  • Love 1

I love watercolor tattoos, but I too have heard they don't have the staying power you'd want.  Having said that, I thought Kelly's was head and shoulders above the others. I don't know why the win was handed to Nikki. Hers was OK, and I could see it being the winner if Kelly's hadn't been there, but it was, and it was beautiful.

• Love 2