Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: House Hunt

Jess has been distracting herself from her renewed romantic feelings for Nick by throwing herself into new hobbies while he's been away in New Orleans with Reagan. Winston attempts to keep up his long-distance relationship with Aly. Meanwhile, newlyweds Cece and Schmidt go house hunting.

I found this episode to be pretty good and laughed out loud quite a few times. Glad the show's back. Winston (and Furguson) are my absolute favorites..  Winston: "And now for the third time in my life, I'm going to go cancel a boat purchase." LOL

As someone who is currently in the process of buying a house, the Cece and Schmidt stuff drove me bonkers. Let's buy a house and not pay cash and get it the same day! And that's really all they could afford? They are going to put more money into renovating that hole than if they had bought a semi-decent place.

One thing I wonder is where they are going with this Jess/Nick storyline. I was in the minority and didn't mind them when they were a couple, but I definitely do not want to watch Jeff pine after him all season.

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 3

House hunting / buying on tv is always so far from reality that I have to wonder if anyone involved has ever lived in anything but an apartment.

(Not that their apartment situation is ultra realistic.)

I wonder why they didn't move CeCe and Schmidt to the apartment next door. Maybe it's still occupied, but I don't think we're getting anymore Alexandra Daddario, so that's really a minor point. 

• Love 2

Zooey directed this show for what it's worth. To me Jess still seems like the weakest part of the show, especially since it's been all relationship stuff for her since she went to Jury duty (flirting with the DA).

Some of her best stuff was interacting with the teachers at the school. I hope we get to see more than, who is she dating now.

This show is definitely running out of steam. Don't get me wrong, I still love all the characters. But the whole Nick/Jess thing was a big mistake, the show improved somewhat when they ended it, but now for some reason they're going back to that well. Clearly they don't know what else to do. 

The show also tends to overly rely on Schmidt's mispronunciation of words, like "coupon." It was funny at first but the gimmick feels stale now. 

Tim Bagley (who played the loan officer) has officially been in every show, ever.

33 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This show is definitely running out of steam. Don't get me wrong, I still love all the characters. But the whole Nick/Jess thing was a big mistake, the show improved somewhat when they ended it, but now for some reason they're going back to that well. Clearly they don't know what else to do. 

The show has been running on fumes (sorry, mixing our metaphors) for... two and a half seasons now?

Nick-Jess has been the endgame from very early on, so I take them going back to it as a sign that they're planning to end the show soon.

Tim Bagley is one of those guys who, every time I see him in something, I have to look him up to see what I know him from. Yes, he's been in EVERYTHING! I'm not really sure what his point was here - they went out of their way to create this weird character with weird mannerisms and weird personality, got two jokes with him, and we'll probably not see him again. It's the sort of role you'd cast a big guest star for, but I'm not sure he fits the bill.

56 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Nick/Jess throughout season 2 was the peak of the show IMO, but clearly they don't know what to do with them once they're together. Definitely time to call it.

15 minutes ago, ae2 said:

Nick-Jess has been the endgame from very early on, so I take them going back to it as a sign that they're planning to end the show soon.

This is my assumption, too. I don't think they'd be going back to this well if they thought they were continuing beyond this season.

• Love 2

I totally forgot this came back last night so it was kind of a surprise it was on my DVR. 

Anyways. I agree that this show doesn't really know what to do anymore with the characters so I hope it's the last season because i don't know what else they can do? We are going to spend a good amount of time with Nick and Jess circling back to each other and after that, who knows. I kind f liked when they were together but then I think the show was like "uh oh we don't know what else to do with them.. breakup!" And then their breakup episode happened and they fought over that baby gift or something. It didn't make sense.

I hated it when they got Nick/Jess together so not looking forward to their reconciliation which seems imminent. But it also does feel like maybe this might be the last season. Another season after this? I couldn't imagine what that would involve, but they have dragged some shows on that have long outlived their humor.  I adore Winston. That is all! The boat line had me crying for like 5 minutes! Like what! How? Why? Oh Winnie the Bish, never change.

The process of Schmidt/CeCe buying a house was so contrived. It might be fun to watch the gang help them remodel and maybe start spending time over there. Given LA real estate prices, I can only imagine what a place like that would cost. It's frightening. What does CeCe do again? Is she still bartending? Their finances have to be interesting but this is a tv show so it's all good!

• Love 1

I really like these characters and I enjoyed the season opener,  but I too feel that it's time to wrap things up. The Schmidt-CeCe wedding would have been a natural closer had they simply implied that Nick/Jess had a future and let us figure out what happened next. Instead I guess we'll get another season of them dancing around each other until in the end they both decide that it's Meant To Be, which will no douybt coincide with Schmidt and CeCe finally moving into their rehabbed house and Winston (and Furguson!) moving out of the loft and in with Aly, and everyone lives happily ever after.

Cece's finances have been a curious item for me. In season 1 or 2, I remember she had a very expensive car, though it was never alluded to. She was just opening it after the club, or some such. In her modelling days she also wore some incredibly nice clothes, but she lived in the Model apartment.

Given that she's working at the bar now, and going to school I'm doubt she has much income though she may have some savings from her modelling days. Schmidt seems like the type of guy who earns a healthy salary but spends it all immediately.

5 hours ago, stagmania said:

Nick/Jess throughout season 2 was the peak of the show IMO, but clearly they don't know what to do with them once they're together. Definitely time to call it.

This is my assumption, too. I don't think they'd be going back to this well if they thought they were continuing beyond this season.

I agree. It bothers me to no end when shows finally get characters together just to have them break up. Show should've waited to get them together or left them together. 

22 hours ago, Wouldofshouldof said:

Jake looked good - I think he lost a little weight.  And Winston's shirt did look like a pj top!

I thought the same thing!

"I smell coyote babies." I love you Winnie the Bish!

On 9/21/2016 at 3:06 PM, msani19 said:

Given LA real estate prices, I can only imagine what a place like that would cost. It's frightening. What does CeCe do again? Is she still bartending? Their finances have to be interesting but this is a tv show so it's all good!

It's just as difficult to get a fixer upper here in L.A. because you are up against developers/ flippers who have access to endless amounts of cash. It took my husband and I a year in which time we put in something like 8 offers. We were outbid every time until we bought a house that had already been (cheaply and badly) renovated. But, it's a TV show so, shrug...

I agree that this show should have ended last season. I really don't think Nick and Jess belong together. It seems sad that she just wants it because she's bored/ everyone else is doing it. I expect more from her character than that.

• Love 1