Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Hazed And Confused

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

That was a jam packed episode. I had all kinds of comments while watching it, but then something else would happen and I would get side-tracked. I do remember that Ashleigh said something that made me question if she really was a recovering addict or just saying something she thought a recovering addict would say, but forgot what it was to ask here. I don't know why she would lie about it, it was just something that struck me as odd. 

I'm really glad they aired the seizure and his talking head detailing the complete lack of action by the guards. The Sheriff should be embarrassed. He should also be embarrassed over the hazing, substance abuse, and out-of-control behavior of the inmates, but that would require taking action. Like most jails, they are probably operating without enough staff to make a strong showing in the pods. But when someone bails, it will be because they are (rightly) afraid for their safety as a result of his lackluster procedures and he will be spouting off how they were scared. 

Monalisa is a blowhard. I'm tired of hearing about how bad her daughter must be feeling. It sounds like she thought her daughter was going away to summer camp and is just now realizing it was jail. I'm a big proponent of alternative sentencing and think mandatory minimums are a failure of our criminal justice system, but the more I hear her whine, the less sympathy I have for her.

Then there is the correctional officer (forgot her name) suddenly being ready to fight the people on the top floor for being loud, when she was quaking in her boots last episode. That kid who has been in jail since she was eleven will not think twice to beat her down. I think that is the story I would like to hear; I wonder if there was some missed intervention for her that would have resulted in her not becoming a menace to society, or is she a psychopath who was caught early? They should send Monalisa to find out, so that she can feel even better about how her daughter is not that bad while she downplays her daughter's crimes.

• Love 6

JFC!  Ashleigh, if you want your husband to talk about your experience in jail then fucking tell him that.  Don't expect him to predict that that's the reason you're calling.  When he makes it about himself after you call HIM after he just did a job training thing, don't get pissed off and start acting like a stereotypical bitch who is on the rag.  I was hoping this reality show wouldn't seem so scripted, but you have basic archetype characters.  There's the pissed off mama bear, the scary black man, the hipster douche, the bitch, the medic, urban person, and they guy with too much anxiety who couldn't even make it into a pod.  I don't even know what Sherri is but she comes across as a white knight to me, protect m'lady in order to able to touch her further on.  Sorry I spend too much time on tvtropes...

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Christina said:

Then there is the correctional officer (forgot her name) suddenly being ready to fight the people on the top floor for being loud, when she was quaking in her boots last episode

From personal experience, continued lack of sleep really messes with your head and makes you do things you may not normally do.  They are all at their wits end.  I do not understand AT ALL why the guards don't shut that shit down as soon as the lights go off.  They are yelling so loud it could probably be heard in the next county.  Do all the guards go home at night or something?  What the hell kind of jail IS this?

As far as Zac goes, that was pretty crappy of him to talk about his big, comfy bed and luxury car but maybe he thought taking her out of the situation by describing these things would help?  He was totally in the wrong, but I don't think he realized how bad it was because of Ashleigh's breezy "fine, how are you?" opening.  She should've immediately said that she needed his support.  My husband also misses subtle hints so I need to be very upfront with what I need from him. 

I feel for Brian.  I knew as soon as I saw his introduction that he was not cut out for this.  They could just sense it and fed off it.  If I were him, I would've been quaking in my boots (flip flops).  I won't blame him for backing out now because he's been made as an easy target and they will never stop.  His hemming and hawing over his answers totally pegged him as not belonging there (who doesn't know their court date???). 

I am also sick of Monalisa.  Between her "cutesy" interviews with the camera ("I got this from beauty sleep"), to her interviewing every addict there.  I don't understand why SHE isn't suspected of being a reporter or rat of some sort.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, GenL said:

From personal experience, continued lack of sleep really messes with your head and makes you do things you may not normally do.  They are all at their wits end.  I do not understand AT ALL why the guards don't shut that shit down as soon as the lights go off.  They are yelling so loud it could probably be heard in the next county.  Do all the guards go home at night or something?  What the hell kind of jail IS this?

I think this is a small county jail; not real prison (like the show that follows this one), where the inmates have actually been found guilty.  These people either couldn't afford bail, or were denied bail and are not waiting for their court dates.  These folks are just thrown in a large room and left to their own devices.   There also may not be enough money collected from taxes to pay  correction officers, and if their salaries are low, then maybe some of them have an incentive to do things like smuggle drugs into the jail.

But I think these folks need something to do, and they need more judges so people don't have to sit around in places like that waiting for their court date.

I thought it was funny that young guy thought Quintin was a serial killer when he met him. 

• Love 2

Maybe Quintin should stay with the strong silent thing so people leave him alone! I continue to be surprised that some people are questioned so intently when they arrive. I can see asking What are you in for? but then it seems like they ask endless questions about court dates, details etc. I think it would be so much easier if they had some of these "white collar" looking guys just say they are in for a DUI. Lots of average Joe's get DUI's. I don't know if it's because they would get out quicker or have a quicker court date? Most DUI's bail out but I'm sure some are broke and can't do it. 

Letting people undress and try to make physical contact with prisoners, letting women do drugs and race around the pod screaming all night-all on camera. The Sheriff cannot say he doesn't know this stuff is going on. Prisoners who get no sleep and have nothing to do are going to get up to all kinds of craziness. He doesn't need these undercover  people to know this stuff. Considering the cameras are catching a lot of things (not all) and the producers are doing interviews with actual prisoners, why do they even need the undercover people? 

• Love 5

this is where I question production and the fakery i see--they had a first season, where they took a lot of "intel" from these folks and supposedly were making changes...yet last nite they taped women fooling around, smoking pot and doing whippets and running around all nite and NOONE but the producers saw or heard this????

My other question is, why the hell isnt a guard stationed in the pod at all times???? 2 women can just sit in the stairs and make out and noone does anything?? yuk and ugh.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

this is where I question production and the fakery i see--they had a first season, where they took a lot of "intel" from these folks and supposedly were making changes...yet last nite they taped women fooling around, smoking pot and doing whippets and running around all nite and NOONE but the producers saw or heard this????

My other question is, why the hell isnt a guard stationed in the pod at all times???? 2 women can just sit in the stairs and make out and noone does anything?? yuk and ugh.

Im guessing the changes werent implemented until after they finished filming completely.

From what Mr Jadecorleone has told me (former corrections officer), there are some guards that do their job and there are some that as long as the inmates arent trying to kill each other, they dont care what the inmates do. And the inmates very quickly pick up on it and take full advantage. He had at least 3 fellow CO's who were like that and all three ended up being fired (two for getting involved with inmates and one for sleeping on the job)

• Love 1

The noise in there would drive me fucking insane.

"I can't believe you're eight.'

"I can't believe you're gone.'

Daughter is pissed. Rightfully so. Sheri reminds me of the way Amber from Teen Mom talks to her daughter (drawing a blank on he name).

Sheri's pigtails make her seriously look nuts.

Not at all interested in MonaLisa trying to learn about what it's like for her daughter in jail.

Eww Zac. You suck. I liked you last season.

Brian needs the fuck outta there. 

The lack of an ambulance for the seizure guy is messed up.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 4

I'm leaning more and more to this show being highly scripted.  Brian and Chris were both in the classification section and Brian never picked up on Chris walking around the pod with a towel around his shoulders and then being quickly removed from the pod?  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Norasuke said:

We last saw that psychologist when he interviewed Robert to see if he was ready to leave seg, right?

We did see him last season, but I thought it was earlier than that. Didn't they have Robert see the psychologist because they were (rightly) concerned that he might be fucking crazy?

Edited by Quilt Fairy
8 hours ago, Fable said:

I'm leaning more and more to this show being highly scripted.  Brian and Chris were both in the classification section and Brian never picked up on Chris walking around the pod with a towel around his shoulders and then being quickly removed from the pod?  

He may have. They just didn't show it. That's probably what gave him the courage to bounce so quickly. Although, my memory is spotty. Is classification only one room. Meaning, were they definitely together. I honestly don't remember. 

7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

What should Brian have done to prevent becoming a target? (Aside from not doing the program at all. I mean.) How should he have reacted to the thrown kisses and the guys sitting next to him and touching him? Or was it too late by that time?

I think it was too late. There is just something about him that they picked up,on instantaneously as soon as he walked in. There was nothing he could do. Maybe if he hadn't sat right out in the open, like Ryan said, it may have helped. 

I stil wonder what Sheris daughter thinks, where is her mom......it was so heart breaking...its almost better to leave like zac and ashley did when the baby is so young, i think this kid is going to remmeber her mom took off for 2 months. and for what? we know its for money and possible fame. it was just sad:(

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:37 PM, woodscommaelle said:

The lack of an ambulance for the seizure guy is messed up.

And then they load him in a wheelchair when he's still out of it.  I was expecting him to do a dive and crack his head open.  The second CO wasn't even prepared for it.  They looked like complete morons.  I hope the woman who dove off the second tier in a suicide attempt sues.  That's the only way improvements will happen.

• Love 2

When I was in County Lockup, folks who had seizures were mocked by the Correction staff for allegedly faking. Fortunately, we had a girl there that was a nurse who prevented a few deaths. The COs hope you die. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Nanu160 said:

When I was in County Lockup, folks who had seizures were mocked by the Correction staff for allegedly faking. Fortunately, we had a girl there that was a nurse who prevented a few deaths. The COs hope you die. 

Wouldn't that just be extra paperwork for the CO's? I would think they'd work even harder to avoid any incidents on their shift.  Seemed counterproductive for them to ignore the possibly dying man in the corner.

But then we all have that coworker who goes abovery and beyond to avoid doing real work while you marvel at how it would be easier to just do the work.

• Love 1