Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Anyone watch Deadwater Fell starring David Tennant?

I watched the first episode but haven't finished it yet.

Has anyone watched Dead Still?  I saw the first episode but again, I haven't continued yet as it didn't really grab me like I thought it would.

• Love 1
(edited)

I started watching The Bay on Britbox last night. Female police officer who serves as a family liaison officer is involved in an investigation into 2 missing teens.

ETA: Finished it last night. Interesting in that the lead character was not particularly likeable. 

ETA: Just binged The Valhalla Murders on Netflix. Serial killer drama set in Iceland. Quite good. 

Edited by LisaM
On 5/30/2020 at 8:13 PM, LisaM said:

I'm watching Loch Ness on AcornTV - one season with 6-8 episodes. It centers around 2 female cops trying to solve multiple murders by a serial killer. 

I just finished it yesterday and thought the acting was good, but the story was just okay.  I was thrown off by Acorn showing there were 8 episodes, when it turns out there were only 6 and the last two were just behind-the-scenes features.  I was thinking, "Wow, this is going to be the rare show that solves the mystery in ep 6 and then has two more eps about how the crimes have affected the characters!"  Not so lol.  

But having subscribed to Acorn and to Britbox a few months ago, I must say it's made me quite the Siobhan Finneran fangirl.  I loved to hate her on Downton, and thought she was fantastic on Happy Valley, but I think it was seeing her do comedy in Benidorm that really turned me into such an admirer.  She can do anything, so I watch all her projects now.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:32 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Anyone watch Deadwater Fell starring David Tennant?

I loved Cush Jumbo in it, but the rest of it fell totally flat for me.  I know it's practically blasphemy to say this, but I've learned that I'm just not a big David Tennant fan.  I just don't connect with his acting for some reason.

On 6/3/2020 at 11:27 AM, LisaM said:

I started watching The Bay on Britbox last night. Female police officer who serves as a family liaison officer is involved in an investigation into 2 missing teens.

ETA: Finished it last night. Interesting in that the lead character was not particularly likeable. 

I really, really enjoyed that one.  The lead actress played a character on Grantchester that I think everyone else hated, but I really liked, so I was pleasantly surprised to see her in this. And I thought the supporting cast was great.  I'd be happy to see them do a second season.

My new favorite detective show, second only now to my beloved Vera, has become Scott & Bailey.  I binged all five seasons in about a week and totally fell in love with it.  I wasn't familiar with any of the main cast but now I adore Lesley Sharp and Suranne Jones.  I just started Doctor Foster, with Suranne (and to my surprise, Jodie Comer), last night.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

My new favorite detective show, second only now to my beloved Vera, has become Scott & Bailey.  I binged all five seasons in about a week and totally fell in love with it.  I wasn't familiar with any of the main cast but now I adore Lesley Sharp and Suranne Jones.  I just started Doctor Foster, with Suranne (and to my surprise, Jodie Comer), last night.

Have you seen No Offence? If not, I highly recommend it. Police drama featuring 3 strong female leads - very well done. It's at the top of my list. 

• Love 2

@LisaM I'm glad you mentioned No Offence because I've started it twice and just can't seem to get into it, even though it ticks all the boxes of things I usually like in a cop show.  I think the problem is that I can't figure out if it's a comedy or a drama (guess it's a dramedy?) and that's where I'm getting hung up.  But I see so many folks like you recommending it, I'm going to at least finish the first season and hope it grows on me.

1 minute ago, TaraS1 said:

@LisaM I'm glad you mentioned No Offence because I've started it twice and just can't seem to get into it, even though it ticks all the boxes of things I usually like in a cop show.  I think the problem is that I can't figure out if it's a comedy or a drama (guess it's a dramedy?) and that's where I'm getting hung up.  But I see so many folks like you recommending it, I'm going to at least finish the first season and hope it grows on me.

I look at it as a drama with some seriously outrageous moments. The character of DI Deering ranks right up with Vera as my favorite British cops. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LisaM said:

I look at it as a drama with some seriously outrageous moments. The character of DI Deering ranks right up with Vera as my favorite British cops. 

when I first started it, I didn't know what to make of her-- she seemed "ridiculous." But you then come to see that she is actually a force to be reckoned with. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, LisaM said:

46 minutes ago, dleighg said:

when I first started it, I didn't know what to make of her-- she seemed "ridiculous." But you then come to see that she is actually a force to be reckoned with. 

That all sounds really encouraging, I'm definitely going to keep going with it.  I'll report back when I finish S1 lol

On 6/8/2020 at 9:24 AM, TaraS1 said:

But having subscribed to Acorn and to Britbox a few months ago, I must say it's made me quite the Siobhan Finneran fangirl.

I loved her in Netflix's The Stranger. I've seen discussion about the possibility of a follow-up series focusing on her character and I'd definitely be up for that.

Re: Suranne Jones, I don't know if it's a new addition or if I just hadn't noticed it until now, but A Touch of Cloth starring her and John Hannah is available on Amazon Prime. As an American, some of the references went over my head, but it's so packed with gags that missing a few didn't hinder my enjoyment. Recommended if you're in the mood for a sendup of British crime dramas.

• Love 1
On 6/8/2020 at 9:24 AM, TaraS1 said:

But having subscribed to Acorn and to Britbox a few months ago, I must say it's made me quite the Siobhan Finneran fangirl.  I loved to hate her on Downton, and thought she was fantastic on Happy Valley, but I think it was seeing her do comedy in Benidorm that really turned me into such an admirer.  She can do anything, so I watch all her projects now.

She was one of the stars of Loch Ness - which I watched on Acorn a few days ago. I purposely watched it after having seen the actress in The Stranger. I was unfamiliar with her work before that show. 

23 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I loved her in Netflix's The Stranger. I've seen discussion about the possibility of a follow-up series focusing on her character and I'd definitely be up for that.

Re: Suranne Jones, I don't know if it's a new addition or if I just hadn't noticed it until now, but A Touch of Cloth starring her and John Hannah is available on Amazon Prime. As an American, some of the references went over my head, but it's so packed with gags that missing a few didn't hinder my enjoyment. Recommended if you're in the mood for a sendup of British crime dramas.

I loved Siobhan in The Stranger, too.  (*Hated* the character of the stranger, though lol). And she's in A Confession, with Martin Freeman and Imelda Staunton, which is a limited series showing on Britbox right now.  It's based on a real crime and I'm through the first two episodes right now, which are quite good.

I definitely want to check out A Touch of Cloth - thanks for letting me know it's available!  I definitely don't get British humor most of the time, but if it's a parody of crime shows, I think I'll like it.

4 hours ago, LisaM said:

She was one of the stars of Loch Ness - which I watched on Acorn a few days ago. I purposely watched it after having seen the actress in The Stranger. I was unfamiliar with her work before that show. 

You should definitely check her out in Benidorm - which is the only British comedy I've watched that made me laugh out loud.  The first few seasons are so funny, especially the family of her character.

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I tried watching A Touch of Cloth but couldn't. What I did find on Prime that was great was The Unforgotten. (I may have mentioned this show before, and apologize if I have.)

I just finished Unforgotten a couple of weeks ago and it's so well done (Nicola Walker and Sanjeev Bhaskar are fantastic), but I almost found it a little too dark and depressing, even though I typically enjoy that sort of thing.  So many of these kinds of shows seem to have storylines dealing with dementia and that's just something too painful for me to watch.

• Love 1

Finished Season 1 of Trapped on Amazon Prime. Icelandic mystery with subtitles set in a remote fishing village suddenly plagued with murders just as a storm makes travel impossible. Highly recommended. Starting Season 2 tonight. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, LisaM said:

Finished Season 1 of Trapped on Amazon Prime. Icelandic mystery with subtitles set in a remote fishing village suddenly plagued with murders just as a storm makes travel impossible. Highly recommended. Starting Season 2 tonight. 

I started it (watched maybe 5 minutes) but the lead in or trailer or whatever the first X minutes were--- didn't grab me. So it gets more interesting?

12 hours ago, dleighg said:

I started it (watched maybe 5 minutes) but the lead in or trailer or whatever the first X minutes were--- didn't grab me. So it gets more interesting?

Definitely. I would give it at least through Episode 1. 

(edited)
On 6/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, Enigma X said:

I tried watching A Touch of Cloth but couldn't.

It's comedy in the vein of Airplane and Angie Tribeca. I enjoy that kind of silliness sometimes, but can see how it wouldn't work for others.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:09 PM, Irlandesa said:

Has anyone watched Dead Still?  I saw the first episode but again, I haven't continued yet as it didn't really grab me like I thought it would.

I haven't seen Dead Still yet, but judging by the lack of discussion about it, am guessing it's not great.

Has anyone watched Freud on Netflix? I stumbled across the trailer last week, but haven't heard anyone talking about it. It looks stylish, but I didn't get much from it beyond that.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 1

I think Trapped, especially Season 1, is excellent.  It's just so atmospheric. 

I've enjoyed the Harlan Coben adaptations (I've seen The Five, No Second Chance and The Stranger) mainly because they're basically one and done mini-series: a season long mystery that is solved and we don't revisit the characters.  So this weekend I'm going to check out The Woods which is a Polish adaptation of one of his books.

I'll have to check out A Touch of Cloth. (Oooh, seeing that Julian Rhind-Tutt is in it makes me wish Keen Eddie were streaming somewhere. )

If you like parodies of cop shows, A Year of The Rabbit is worth checking out. 

• Love 1

I'm now halfway through Trapped Season 2. So far, it is not as good as Season 1 - which was great - but I am enjoying it nonetheless. 

Has anyone seen Rebecka Martinsson on Acorn? Season 2 will be released in July so I'm wondering if Season 1 is any good? I am starting to get hooked on these Scandinavian mysteries. 

I remember enjoying Rebecka Martinson, but I binge so many shows that I honestly can't remember it. 

I liked Airplane, so any similarities that A Touch of Cloth may have to it is not why I could not get into it.

13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

. (Oooh, seeing that Julian Rhind-Tutt is in it makes me wish Keen Eddie were streaming somewhere. )

So miss Keen Eddie! Such a great show that should’ve lasted more than one season - damn you Fox 😠

• Love 2

Am in the middle of Deadwind on Netflix. Set in Finland, the protagonist is a female detective who is recently widowed and is caring for 2 kids. Murder and mystery ensue. It was slow to start but has picked up and the mysteries are becoming more complex. 

Just wanted to let @LisaM and @dleighg know that I only have a three episodes of No Offence left and I'm so glad your recommendations made me hang in there with it!

It took me until about episode 5 of S1 to get into it, but it has really turned out to be such a great watch.  I love Viv - what a fabulous character!  Dinah is probably my least favorite of the regulars, but it's still a fun supporting cast.  I think everything I've ever seen Paul Ritter (Miller) in has him playing the same kind of character (like on Vera) but I just adore him.

• Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Just wanted to let @LisaM and @dleighg know that I only have a three episodes of No Offence left and I'm so glad your recommendations made me hang in there with it!

It took me until about episode 5 of S1 to get into it, but it has really turned out to be such a great watch.  I love Viv - what a fabulous character!  Dinah is probably my least favorite of the regulars, but it's still a fun supporting cast.  I think everything I've ever seen Paul Ritter (Miller) in has him playing the same kind of character (like on Vera) but I just adore him.

Great! It's definitely my favorite British mystery show. 

The character of DI Deering (Viv) ranks as one of my all-time top characters - right up there with Vera. So well written and the actress is terrific. I really enjoyed the supporting cast - each one brought something unique to the mix. I still cannot believe that TPTB opted not to continue the series. What a mistake.

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, LisaM said:

I still cannot believe that TPTB opted not to continue the series. What a mistake

I'm doubly sad that Acorn didn't decide to revive it the way they did with Agatha Raisin.  Acorn is great with its mystery content but I still prefer the shows they acquire vs. the shows they produce on their own.

• Love 2
On 6/12/2020 at 12:43 PM, Irlandesa said:

So this weekend I'm going to check out The Woods which is a Polish adaptation of one of his books.

If you were able to watch it, what did you think? Next weekend will be devoted to Dark season 3, so I'm looking for something to watch in the meantime.

24 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

If you were able to watch it, what did you think? Next weekend will be devoted to Dark season 3, so I'm looking for something to watch in the meantime.

It was okay.  It was only six episodes. It was not as good as The Five or even The Stranger yet it shared some plotlines with both. 

And it kind of ended on a cliffhanger which I guess the book does as well. The mystery is more or less solved but (vague spoilers about what kind of thing isn't shown)

Spoiler

You don't get the full denouement that we usually get, IMO. 

• Useful 1

I am in the middle of Season 1 of Bordertown - a police drama set in Finland. The protagonist is a genius detective with Sherlock-type abilities to figure out clues that nobody else can put together. So far, it's been almost too dark for me but I'll keep going. 

For any fans of Dark, Black Spot  ( a French series) is another good series on Netflix. It's not time-travel , but it has a supernatural element. It was kind of creepy, but I really got hooked.

I must be drawn to darker series because I loved Bordertown, The Valhalla Murders. and The Woods.

I'm currently watching Trapped on Amazon Prime which I started watching after a recommendation here,  and am enjoying that quite a bit. Same with Missing, I watched after a recommendation here and really loved that series too. Even though I was getting confused because I was watching Batpiste on PBS at the same time. I kept mixing the stories up. 

1 hour ago, Jolie said:

For any fans of Dark, Black Spot  ( a French series) is another good series on Netflix. It's not time-travel , but it has a supernatural element. It was kind of creepy, but I really got hooked.

I must be drawn to darker series because I loved Bordertown, The Valhalla Murders. and The Woods.

I'm currently watching Trapped on Amazon Prime which I started watching after a recommendation here,  and am enjoying that quite a bit. Same with Missing, I watched after a recommendation here and really loved that series too. Even though I was getting confused because I was watching Batpiste on PBS at the same time. I kept mixing the stories up. 

I loved Trapped and really enjoyed The Valhalla Murders. I have to FF through a few scenes on Bordertown because holding girls captive is not a good storyline for me. I do like the characters on Bordertown and am sticking with it to see where they go.

For something less dark but still quite good, I can recommend Balthazar - which I found thanks to a recommendation here. Good blend of humor, mystery and medium dark.

4 hours ago, Jolie said:

I love Black Spot and am disappointed there hasn't been any word on a third season, especially since season 2 ended on a cliffhanger.

• Love 1

One thing I do like about Bordertown is that the mysteries last between 1-3 episodes so if there's a mystery you don't like, you can pretty much skip an episode or two.  With things like Valhalla Murders (which I did like) and The Woods, you're in for the season if you want a resolution.

Has anyone watched Midnight Sun here?  It's on Hulu and it's about a French cop who goes to Sweden to investigate a murder of another French police officer. I watched one episode but haven't had the chance to watch the rest.

(edited)
17 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Has anyone watched Midnight Sun here?

I started watching it, but gave up relatively early. I'm afraid I can't remember why so my answer isn't terribly useful.

I like Branagh, but his Wallander was too angsty for me. I much preferred the Swedish version with Krister Henriksson.

Edited by krankydoodle
(edited)

Season 2 of Deadwind drops on Netflix on July 1. 

ETA: I started Cardinal last evening. It is on Hulu and stars Billy Campbell as a Canadian detective on the trail of a serial killer. There are 4 seasons. 

I have two episodes remaining in Season 2 of Bordertown. Except for the occasionally dark murder, I am really watching the characters grow and interact with each other. 

Edited by LisaM
On 6/22/2020 at 6:36 AM, LisaM said:

Season 2 of Deadwind drops on Netflix on July 1. 

ETA: I started Cardinal last evening. It is on Hulu and stars Billy Campbell as a Canadian detective on the trail of a serial killer. There are 4 seasons. 

I have two episodes remaining in Season 2 of Bordertown. Except for the occasionally dark murder, I am really watching the characters grow and interact with each other. 

+1 for Cardinal.  I found the first season to be the overall best, but I really liked how the overall story played out over the 6-episode run of each season.  Wasn't a fan of the completely open-ended finish to the series, but I'd rewatch (especially S1).

(edited)
On 5/21/2020 at 12:27 PM, Irlandesa said:

Another show I had somewhat forgotten about but people in this thread might enjoy (I apologize if I've mentioned it here before) was a one season show called Battle Creek that is currently living on Netflix.

On 5/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, dubbel zout said:

I vaguely remember this show. It had a good cast. There was some sort of Big Sekrit that never got resolved because the show was canceled.

I think this was in response to my post and if so, I just rewatched all the episodes and I can reassure anyone who'd want to watch the show that we do find out what the big "secret" is which is basically the backstory for one of the characters.  It ends on a smallish cliffhanger but I think the dialogue is meant to tell us that everything will work out. 

I just started Eurovision: The Story of Fire Saga and there are a lot of guest stars in it.  But I was extra excited to recognize the lead cop from Trapped in it.

Edited by Irlandesa
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:
On 5/21/2020 at 2:09 PM, dubbel zout said:

I vaguely remember this show. It had a good cast. There was some sort of Big Sekrit that never got resolved because the show was canceled.

I think this was in response to my post and if so, I just rewatched all the episodes and I can reassure anyone who'd want to watch the show that we do find out what the big "secret" is which is basically the backstory for one of the characters.  It ends on a smallish cliffhanger but I think the dialogue is mean to tell us that everything will work out. 

I just looked at the Battle Creek wiki page, and you're right, @Irlandesa, that there is something of a resolution. How did you watch the show? I might revisit it.

(edited)

I'm watching A Touch of Cloth after people mentioned it on here. I like shows like Angie Tribeca and really enjoy Suranne Jones, John Hannah and Julian Rhind-Tutt so I decided to give it a go.  It is silly fun. I may have to spread them around, though.  There's only so much of this I can take and each episode is 90 minutes.

13 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

How did you watch the show?

It's on Netflix (in the US, that is. I don't know about other countries.)

Edited by Irlandesa
On 6/27/2020 at 10:10 PM, Irlandesa said:

I'm watching A Touch of Cloth after people mentioned it on here. I like shows like Angie Tribeca and really enjoy Suranne Jones, John Hannah and Julian Rhind-Tutt so I decided to give it a go.  It is silly fun. I may have to spread them around, though.  There's only so much of this I can take and each episode is 90 minutes.

It's on Netflix (in the US, that is. I don't know about other countries.)

I didn't find it on Netflix, but it is on Amazon Prime.

(edited)

Just finished Season 3 of Bordertown. Hoping for Season 4. Quite an interesting main character. 

Going to start Season 2 of Deadwind and then move on to Marcella, which came highly recommended. 

Edited by LisaM