Type keyword(s) to search

Antiques Roadshow (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just watched tonight’s episode where they update the values given in Baltimore in 2007. Back then a lovely Austro-Hungarian rock crystal watch was valued at $20k to $30k. The 2021 value is now $1k to $1,500! Wow, I don’t recall seeing THAT big of a decrease in valuation before. I’d love to know if the gentleman who owned it in 2007 still owns it and if he is aware of this update! 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Just watched tonight’s episode where they update the values given in Baltimore in 2007. Back then a lovely Austro-Hungarian rock crystal watch was valued at $20k to $30k. The 2021 value is now $1k to $1,500! Wow, I don’t recall seeing THAT big of a decrease in valuation before. I’d love to know if the gentleman who owned it in 2007 still owns it and if he is aware of this update! 

I'm watching now and a lot of items are drastically reduced. An exception was the one-of-kind bench by George Nakashima which went up about $20K, IIRC.

Although the Covid economy might explain the drastic value reductions, I am guessing a lot of the reductions are due to social media and other Internet and phone apps making owners of items seen in 2007 aware of their value beyond what they originally paid. 

• Love 2
Just now, shapeshifter said:

Although the Covid economy might explain the drastic value reductions, I am guessing a lot of the reductions are due to social media and other Internet and phone apps making owners of items seen in 2007 aware of their value beyond what they originally paid. 

In 2007, the market was peaking for a lot of things.  Then, in 2008, we had a severe market crash, driving down the value of a lot of stuff.  I think for some of it, it's also just a matter of changing tastes.  The people buying now don't have the same interest in various items that people did 14 years ago.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

In 2007, the market was peaking for a lot of things.  Then, in 2008, we had a severe market crash, driving down the value of a lot of stuff. 

Good point. Not just real estate. So these items were likely devalued then, and now again.

• Love 1

I do agree that there are many factors relating to decrease in values and that changing tastes and the way we live now play a big part in it. My folks had a lovely solid Mahogany dining room set in very good condition. The set was the table, 8 chairs, the China cabinet and a really large, heavy buffet. Not only do my sister and I already have our houses totally furnished, but I wouldn’t have the room for all of those pieces if i wanted them. So, I contacted a reputable antiques guy in our area to see if he had any interest and he said “I’ve got several barns of pieces like this that I can’t get rid of. Young people now all want IKEA, not pieces that they equate to their grandma.” So when we finally found someone who paid $800 for the entire set, we sold them. It killed me but you gotta be realistic about it and not be silly enough to pay storage on it. I have a few charming antique pieces that I love but I’m sure they will be given away for nothing when I’m gone. 

I will say that when I put all the Christmas decorations away the other day, I did box up my childhood ornaments separately from the other items and put notes with them to identify that they are from my childhood and some even older than that. If my heirs trash those Christmas items, I’m coming back to haunt them every year! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I will say that when I put all the Christmas decorations away the other day, I did box up my childhood ornaments separately from the other items and put notes with them to identify that they are from my childhood and some even older than that. If my heirs trash those Christmas items, I’m coming back to haunt them every year! 

Labeling them at least gives future generations a chance to make an informed choice. 

I was living thousands of miles away when my parents moved from Illinois to Hawaii in the mid 80s. My sister took a lot of furniture, and my mom kept photo albums and a few things, but most small stuff disappeared, including some Christmas ornaments that my mother said had come from Germany with her assimilated Jewish relatives who got out just before the rise of Hitler because "they saw the handwriting on the wall."

I wonder if the Christmas ornaments would have been of value because of the provenance -- and the same goes for yours.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Labeling them at least gives future generations a chance to make an informed choice. 

I was living thousands of miles away when my parents moved from Illinois to Hawaii in the mid 80s. My sister took a lot of furniture, and my mom kept photo albums and a few things, but most small stuff disappeared, including some Christmas ornaments that my mother said had come from Germany with her assimilated Jewish relatives who got out just before the rise of Hitler because "they saw the handwriting on the wall."

I wonder if the Christmas ornaments would have been of value because of the provenance -- and the same goes for yours.

I can promise you that the ornaments that belonged to your German relatives would have great value. Yes, since we are on the Antiques Roadshow forum, they’d have monetary value, but would have an even greater historical and religious value. But even more meaningful is that it sounds like your relatives escaped just in time. That is priceless. Thank you for sharing this. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am waiting for someone to mention a Neo Geo System. If you look online, the system could range from $500-$2,500. It really was that expensive and the games itself are also a pretty penny to pay as well. It isn't not an antique, but it would be awesome to mention it one time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Antiques Roadshow Celebrity Edition #1 - Featuring comedian Jay Leno, actress S. Epatha Merkerson, author Jason Reynolds, Olympic figure skater Nancy Kerrigan, and pro golfer Dottie Pepper,

I give someone credit for coming up with something different after all these years, but these  five "celebrities" can't take up the whole hour, can they?  I wonder how else they will fill the time... and if I was watching the preview closely enough, Nancy Kerrigan was asking how much her own skating costumes were worth, which doesn't surprise me.  

Edited by Mermaid Under
1 hour ago, Mermaid Under said:

I give someone credit for coming up with something different after all these years, but these  five "celebrities" can't take up the whole hour, can they? 

My guess would be that each person is going to have multiple items appraised. 

• Useful 1

That was fun.  I think they could probably do an entire show on Jay Leno's house.  He has some amazing stuff.  I did find it disappointing that we didn't see more of his real personality - he kept seesawing between his TV character and a lower-key, more likable (to me, anyway) person.  The peacock story was great.

I had no idea who Dottie Pepper was, but what an impressive athlete she was, back in the day.  

I was a little bummed that Jason Reynolds ended up paying too much for some of his items.  I wanted him to find the one, stellar bargain that blew us all away.

It's very moving how S. Epatha Merkerson collects memorabilia that depicts her culture in such a degrading way.  It was nice to see her light up when the appraiser was explaining the various connections to her final item.  Also, how cute is her relationship with her co-star?

I remember the entire saga around the 1994 Olympics vividly.  I really found Nancy Kerrigan so likable (and she looks damn good for 51, holy cow).  It was a bit naive of her to think that the reason that she was on the cover of Life was due the dress (beautiful though it was).  Sadly, I think racism played a part in that, too.  I'm glad she had her good memories of Albertville to sustain her over the next Olympics.  Also, the appraiser handled it perfectly - so tactful and kind.  And how perfect that she has her Albertville flag hanging in the basement, because, why not.

I'm looking forward to the next show and really want to commend the producers for finding a format that's new and works well in the pandemic era.

• Love 1

We had severe weather in my area (DirecTV cut in and out) so I missed most of Jason Reynolds’s segments. I am an unabashed sports geek and loved the Dottie Pepper and Nancy Kerrigan parts. I watch golf every week and adore Dottie. She’s a great golf commentator. Jay Leno said he bought his house with everything in it so I wasn’t interested and he clearly he had no connection to the items. He’s all about his cars. And that’s ok. My favorite was S. Epatha Merkerson and her collection. From the few items we saw, she has collected for years and those items mean something to her.  I, too, applaude the show for branching out and thinking of new ways to keep us AR fans interested. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

In last night’s episode, I was familiar with only Carla Hall (hootie hoo!) and Marc Brown. In fact, I just contributed to Mr. Brown’s wealth yesterday. I volunteer at the local school and in order to encourage the first graders to keep reading during the summer, I ordered each of them a plush Arthur doll as a reading buddy...so you’re welcome, Mr. Brown! 😀 We’ll give them the dolls on the last day of school, which thankfully is 13 days away! 

Loved Carla’s granny’s purses! What a lovely, stylish lady! And Carla’s mom is darling. Their reaction to the high chair was cute. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed this one a little more than the first two celebrity episodes.  Christian Siriano was fun.  Soledad O'Brien seemed like she was announcing/reading the news; nothing about her interactions with the appraisers seem particularly natural.  I don't remember her being that way when she was on Finding Your Roots.

• Useful 1

Mo Willems! yes, please! I love him and his characters so much. Thank you, Antiques Roadshow, for profiling this adorable author. I volunteer at an elementary school and we have had so much fun with elephant and piggie and also pigeon. I went as piggie one Halloween at school. We all love his characters. Everyone wants to check out elephant and piggie books. Love, love, love him! 

Soledad: love your dog and table. More dog please.

Christian Soriano: love you so much darling! I watched him during his Project Runway days and had no doubt he would be such an incredible success. Those pieces in his showroom, the pieces in his home! ❤️I love you, but where are the dogs you referenced when you talked about your sofa? More dogs, please! 

I like Crazy Rich Asians but will have to watch again for this actor. I enjoyed the movie very much.

• Love 1

Never heard of the cartoonist, and I was distracted by how red and inflamed his chin (above his facial hair) looked. As valuable as vintage 'Lucy' stuff is, I can only imagine what a comic strip with Charlie featured would have been worth.

I admit, I got a bit of schadenfreude out of Soledad O's fake African artifacts. She's half Scots-Irish, wonder if she collects anything Celtic? Ha.

Have loved Christian Siriano since Runway, and it gives me a ridiculous amount of joy to see  how well he's doing. Runway visited his NYC store in 2019, and I was so impressed, but that gorgeous modern house in Connecticut is even more mind-boggling. (Although decor-wise, I thought the living room was a hodge-podge).

I watched the second celebrity hour last night. I'd never heard of any of them, though I recognized Arthur, I was unfamiliar with the author.

Really enjoyed Carla's items. The purses that had been her grandmother's were cool; wish I still had a couple of my mom's old purses.

The others were not as interesting to me. I did like the Al Hirschfeld art.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying the reruns from years past that they're showing lately, especially when items are reappraised for current value.  It's nice to see people just talking in close proximity without masks or seeming uneasy due to their absence...

• Love 3

I wondered if the Antique Roadshow could still travel to those predominantly red states where they now have that new Delta Varient now? Even when Guy Fieri traveled to those states in the past for his show called Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, I always wondered if they could still do that now? I mean, when you watch these shows from several years or so, what a different world it was then. I still wonder if these shows and others like it could still do the same thing they love so much....

(edited)
10 hours ago, letter8358 said:

I wondered if the Antique Roadshow could still travel to those predominantly red states where they now have that new Delta Varient now? Even when Guy Fieri traveled to those states in the past for his show called Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, I always wondered if they could still do that now? I mean, when you watch these shows from several years or so, what a different world it was then. I still wonder if these shows and others like it could still do the same thing they love so much....

Oh please don’t drag the forum for this totally charming show down with political qualifiers of “red” states or “blue” states. We all know that the filming has been impacted by the virus, so can’t we just leave it at that? I think the show’s production team is based on the east coast and it’s probably easier to film there right now. Isn’t anyone else sick of labels?

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Oh please don’t drag the forum for this totally charming show down with political qualifiers of “red” states or “blue” states. We all know that the filming has been impacted by the virus, so can’t we just leave it at that? I think the show’s production team is based on the east coast and it’s probably easier to film there right now. Isn’t anyone else sick of labels?

I am so sorry. Please forgive my ignorance. I know they have not filmed  since the pandemic happened. I am just wondering if they could bring big crowds like they use to or would that take time? 

(edited)
7 hours ago, letter8358 said:

I know they have not filmed  since the pandemic happened. I am just wondering if they could bring big crowds like they use to or would that take time? 

The link I posted above states for each scheduled city: "CLOSED SET! FILMING BY INVIATION ONLY"

Note: The ALL CAPS is copied from the Antiques Roadshow website; it’s not me shouting or anything. I suppose it is the AR folks wanting to be clear. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, letter8358 said:

So does that mean limited crowd or something? The usually have a crowd of people walking in lines or so.

I don't know, but to me it sounds like it might just be the people whose items were selected for the show.
Maybe they're doing the pre-selecting via some combination of online submissions, phone calls, Zoom, and then for those who get to the final interview before selection, perhaps individual appointments?

On 8/5/2021 at 3:58 PM, shapeshifter said:

I don't know, but to me it sounds like it might just be the people whose items were selected for the show.

I looked at the Antiques Roadshow website.  This year, they are doing closed productions at five different sites:

Wadsworth Mansion, Middletown CT, August 10;

Omni Mount Washington Resort, Bretton Woods, NH, September 2

Hempstead House at the Sands Point Preserve, Sands Point NY, September 14;

Colonial Williamsburg, Williamsburg VA, September 28;

Grounds For Sculpture, Hamilton NJ, October 6.

Instead of people just showing up with tickets, the show instead had a contest where people sent in pictures of their items and explained why they were special and they would like them appraised.  The producers then picked selections for each filming site and only those people chosen will get to show up and be filmed. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, all4mom2 said:

"Tearjerkers" is a good compilation. 

I always love the sisters with the Tiffany lamp who burst into tears when they hear the value of the piece.  I don't think it is ever said, but I always imagined it was a situation where their mother had recently passed away and this was kind of her gift to them from beyond the grave. 

• Love 3

Yes!  With almost every one of them, their first words after learning the value were about the person who passed the item along to them and how happy they would be.  They were crying as much for their loved ones as they were about the money.

• Love 4

"True Colors" shows a 1956 David Klein TWA Poster (the MOMA has one) that was originally featured on Antiques Roadshow back in 2009 (Season 25 Episode 24, starting about 17 minutes in) .

The person who brought it in said her friend/coworker gave it to her as a gift after paying very little for it (maybe a dollar? I don't recall that detail).
The AR curator repeatedly stated that revealing its value could cause trouble between the friends. The owner of the poster laughed and said she had agreed to split the value with the friend, and even repeated it with another laugh, emphasizing that she was declaring it on national TV.

So.
In 2009, the poster was valued at $2,500 - $3,500.
But now, in 2021, it is valued at      $7,000 - $10,000.

I wonder if they're still friends.

• Useful 2

Missed that episode, unfortunately, but I DO prefer these "best of" shows to the previous attempts to film during a pandemic: people standing isolated in masks and/or the celebrities mugging for the cameras with their one or two collectibles.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Is this show going to return in the normal form anytime soon? I’m tired of all the reruns

January 3, 2022 is the first episode of the new season.  They filmed at Wadsworth Mansion in Middletown, CT.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

So did anyone see the new episode Monday night?  What did everyone think?  So happy it's back but I wanted to talk about the Feedback Booth.  They've changed it a bit.  Now it features people who were on the episode talking about their items that were appraised in more detail.  IDK, I think I prefer previous seasons where different people were shown with items that weren't appraised as high a value and they were simply discussing their time on the show.  *shrug*  

• Love 6
On 11/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, txhorns79 said:

Wadsworth Mansion

Hour 3 is on now. I am totally smitten by the older gentleman who played a few bars of "Misty" on his antique custom jazz guitar.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:16 AM, Dirtybubble said:

They've changed it a bit. 

I guess the definition of "antique" has changed a bit--both for purposes of the show and in general.

• Love 2
On 1/6/2022 at 10:16 AM, Dirtybubble said:

IDK, I think I prefer previous seasons where different people were shown with items that weren't appraised as high a value and they were simply discussing their time on the show.  *shrug*  

I believe for this season, they pre-selected people to appear at each event due to Covid, so they don't have all the people who typically show up at the event, but do not get an on-air appraisal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2022 at 8:57 PM, txhorns79 said:

I believe for this season, they pre-selected people to appear at each event due to Covid, so they don't have all the people who typically show up at the event, but do not get an on-air appraisal.

Oh you're probably right!

Still I love the show and I never thought I would get used to a new host or should I say voice over host.  I was totally bummed when Mark wasn't there anymore and I missed seeing him on the show but this new lady....enh *shrug*

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Oh I love to see a bunch of already wealthy people living on  the Gold Coast, find even more treasures of worth. And I am sick of seeing the outfuckingrageous mansions built by robber barons. I need a break from this show. Get back to the “little people”. Sorry for the rant, But I can’t be the only one sick of the display of the fortunate people. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Oh I love to see a bunch of already wealthy people living on  the Gold Coast, find even more treasures of worth. And I am sick of seeing the outfuckingrageous mansions built by robber barons. I need a break from this show. Get back to the “little people”. Sorry for the rant, But I can’t be the only one sick of the display of the fortunate people. 

I think they switched two or three seasons ago from doing events in convention centers to using some local place of interest.  Aside from the celebrity Antiques Roadshow they did last year, I don't know if we are given any idea of the relative wealth of the people coming in to ask about their items.   

• Love 2
On 1/25/2022 at 10:54 AM, chediavolo said:

And I am sick of seeing the outfuckingrageous mansions built by robber barons.

You mean you didn't enjoy the charming down-to-earth story of the man who built a castle, then built an even bigger second castle when his wife said the first one was too small? It's so relatable!

• LOL 4

I really enjoyed Antiques Roadshow's new compilation episode, pun-ishly named, "Musical Scores" (get it? "scores"?), which can be streamed here: pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/watch/episode/2624-musical-scores

It seemed maybe they included a bit more footage of the owners' reactions, but I'd have to find an original to compare, unless someone here just knows.

They estimated value showed the value of the item at the time it was originally included in a broadcast, and then the 2022 value.
I wonder if inflation contributed to the increase in (most of) the values or if the 2022 values were computed before recent inflation figures were available.
It seemed to me that there were more increases than shown in the past few years, but, again, I'd have to research it, unless maybe that's already been reported somewhere.

The 2022 amounts are shown here: 
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/appraisals/?category_OR__slug=&season_number_OR=&show_OR__slug=2624-musical-scores%3AMusical+Scores

-

• Love 1

I really do not like the announcer. She’s been doing this for a few years, so you’d think she’s be a little better at it by now. This should be the kind of soothing show that you can watch over and over again, but her voice is so unpleasant that I don’t watch each show more than once. I don’t understand why they would hire someone who is so bad at doing this job. 

• Like 1
On 5/31/2022 at 9:37 AM, MagicEyes said:

I really do not like the announcer. She’s been doing this for a few years, so you’d think she’s be a little better at it by now. This should be the kind of soothing show that you can watch over and over again, but her voice is so unpleasant that I don’t watch each show more than once. I don’t understand why they would hire someone who is so bad at doing this job. 

When she first came on I didn't like her at all.  I was a true blue Mark W. fan ❤️ But now I don't mind her as much.  She's just kinda meh to me.  And it bugs that they don't show the host like they did with Mark and whats-her-face on the UK show.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've been slowly catching up on this season's episodes, and saw the episode where the guest had brought in some items from his mother's time as a slave laborer at the Oberaltstadt camp in Czechoslovakia during WW2.  I think even the appraiser was close to losing it during the segment.  It packed quite a wallop, and was very touching.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I've been slowly catching up on this season's episodes, and saw the episode where the guest had brought in some items from his mother's time as a slave laborer at the Oberaltstadt camp in Czechoslovakia during WW2.  I think even the appraiser was close to losing it during the segment.  It packed quite a wallop, and was very touching.  

Do you know the official air date or the title of this episode? 

• Like 1