Type keyword(s) to search

S23: Marilu Henner: Taxiing Into The Finals?

• Start Topic

I love her and Don't think she's much more a ringer than Kristi or Meryl. I have wanted her on but I wanted her in a season with more Skaters, gymnasts, and dance trained "stars". I'm sure she was a last minute Derek's available partner. I will enjoy their work together though she is going to test Derek's need to micro manage every detail that is one of his strengths as a choreographer. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, oakgal said:

He would get Marilu Henner. She has so much dance experience and she's still in great shape. It's comical at this point.

To be fair, it's possible that she requested him as someone who would challenge her.

• Love 1

I just really hope they address the fact that she has a HUGE advantage on the show. I feel like Derek and his ringer partners is always downplayed, like "wow, Derek is just a really great teacher, to take someone with *cough* nodanceexperience *cough* and turn them into pros!" I'd rather she just say "I've been a dancer in the past, and I took/taught dance for years, but that was a long time ago and learning ballroom will be a fun challenge!"

• Love 6

She has that memory thing (not the medical term obviously) where she never forgets anything or dates (and can even remember weather on those days) They did a story on her and people like her on 60 Minutes years ago. It was fascinating. So even if she had no rhythm she would have no trouble picking up and remembering choreography.  

Derek could get me as a partner and people would try and find a way I was ringer. 

• Love 5

I would say as far as ringers, Derek has gotten three in how many seasons? Nicole, Shawn, and Nastia. He only won with one. The rest he turned in to ringers. 

Marilu's memory contributes to her "ringer" status more than her training due to her age. She won't need to practice as much.

Edited by DancingD

I think her history of choreography probably helps her more than anything but it's likely mitigated somewhat by her age.  

She does have exceptional memory but from what I understand it's autobiographical in that she can remember a lot about her life but that doesn't mean she has the kind of memory that can see a dance once, know the steps and perform it. Some who have her condition have that memorization ability while others don't.

If I were to watch, I'd be rooting for her.

• Love 1

She said on GMA that her memory is actually a problem, since Derek has the habit of continually changing choreography. I can see how that could be. Maybe he needs to adapt, set the choreo with Hayley, then teach it to Marilu.

I'm not sure that memorizing details about dates is the same thing as memorizing choreography. You can't memorize grace or style or rhythm. Besides, she is 64 years old. I wouldn't exactly call her a ringer.

Edited by boyznkatz
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I'm not sure that memorizing details about dates is the same thing as memorizing choreography. You can't memorize grace or style or rhythm. Besides, she is 64 years old. I wouldn't exactly call her a ringer.

I would, since the issue is that she's been training and dancing at a professional level since she was two, and even started teaching dancing at her parents' studio at 14.  It's why she hasn't been invited to be on the show before now -- the show itself considered her to be too much of a ringer.

Marilu slept with some of the guys from Taxi according to her on talk shows.  I watch alot of tv and read fan mags at the store. 

Not Danny DeVito or Andy Ksuffman.  For sure With Judd and Tony and the young guy who died from drugs later.  She had great tits then too. . 

Edited by Tosia
So much trivia, so little use for it.

Derek's doing a blog for, I think, TV Guide's website this season. He said they're doing a foxtrot to The Theme From Taxi (aka Angela) this week, though he also admitted he's having trouble making the foxtrot work with the song. So they're another couple getting an associated song outta the way early.

Poor Marilu. She'll have 64 equally memorable years. And she'll remember the details of every day of every one of those 64 years.  That's roughly 23.4k days of events.   Paraphrasing Chief Brody...We're gonna need a bigger show....

Know nothing about Marilu, but she strikes me as being about as much fun as a wet hen. Maybe it's because she has a lifetime of bad memories intruding on/overtaking the good ones. Whatever, I'm sure it's making Derek's job that much more difficult and less pleasant. On the one hand, I say, amen to that. And on the other, I say, bah, humbug. She's past her due date, but, unfortunately, this time, D's fans may be working against him!