Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: She’s One of Them Now

So I was wrong, the doctor did not betray the crew. I wonder if he dies. I cannot believe that those seers are still around. They must be desperate to risk the Raza's wrath to go after Nyx.

So based on the preview, they are time travelling? Okay.

Fun episode.  I enjoyed the Five stuff.   Everything about her storyline this episode worked for me.  

Android was funny as well.  

I didn't really care for last episode but this one more then made up for it.  It did what this show does well.   Adventure heist missions with a bit of comedy added to the side.  

• Love 1

I liked how Three was convincing Five to leave them, then Four pointed out that she was already gone. Hilarious. This show could do with a bit more humor.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

I liked this episode, too, especially 4 being so deadpan.  "I have to dislocate both shoulders" - not his.  Couldn't those Seers see a better clothing design for themselves?  Those jackets/aprons/booties are ridiculous. 

• Love 5

Fun seeing Talor/David Hewlett's character again.  Loved how he played off the crew, especially Android.  That said, since it seems like his "capture" is going to put Kris Holden-Reid's character back on Raza's tail, they might want to consider disguising themselves or something, if they're going to keep pulling crimes like this.

The heist was pretty fun.  I figured it was going to end with at least one of the clones biting it, but it being Five having to kill both Four and Three, was great.  I just hope they keep questioning her about what happened, and she finally admits it, because I can just see the look on their faces, even if they were all clones.  Of course, I'm sure Alicia is to have more tricks up her sleeve, and more attempts at bringing them down.

The stuff with Nyx and the doctor kind of bored me, until the Seers suddenly showed up and shanked him.  I wonder if he's done for, or someone will find him in time.

So, they now have device that is suppose to allow them to travel around the galaxy even faster, but 

Spoiler

judging from next week's preview, it might actually be time-travel too?  If so, this might be a way to bring back One.  Who knows?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, SimoneS said:

So I was wrong, the doctor did not betray the crew. I wonder if he dies. I cannot believe that those seers are still around. They must be desperate to risk the Raza's wrath to go after Nyx.

I am thinking it is too soon and he didn't get the coup de grace like One did so I am guessing he gets treated in time.

• Love 2

The timing was all weird. It seemed inevitable that one of the bodies would have its brains fried when the villain sent a pulse through the subspace connection. It was plausible to think Boone and Ashida (? somehow I'd thought it was Testsuda?) got out in time, but not all. It's really like they meant Emily/5's clone be her sole surviving form, then changed their mind too late to fix the script. The physical jeopardy of main characters is rarely that enthralling because series rarely kill off popular regular cast, anyhow. 

Nyx' prolonged shout out to Devon about show themes, and Devon's prompt agreement about how you still have to pay, suffered terribly from the absence of any notion that rehabilitation is moral. This is someplace we really really miss One, who was pretty much the only character into that. Hard to have a dramatic conflict without a character with a different viewpoint. As for things being a matter of choice...look, Devon clearly would choose not to want drugs so desperately. Any notion of free will that assumes people can freely choose what they want is just morally backwards. That sort of thing is great for blaming poor people for being poor, sick people for being sick, promiscuous people for getting laid, etc. but I've never seen much else good to it. The criminal Raza crew essentially died when their memories were wiped. Punishing these people is not a moral act in my opinion. It's like insisting on punishing the mentally ill even after they've been treated. 

Varrick's witless speech about how somehow Raza zipping around the galaxy evened the playing field with the corporations not only made no sense as a strategy against the corporations. It also made no psychological sense. Varrick is the only one with any experience with a rebel movement and he hated, hated, hated rebels to the point he slaughtered them personally. (One with a different relationship to the corporations might have provided a different angle?)

Won't miss Devon or Nyx, but doubt the issue will really arise. 

The previews suggest an alternate reality to my eyes. The other Raza will probably have Marc Bendavid as Jace Corso and all the others as their original selves (except maybe Emily/5, who might have been spaced?) Still not a fan of Corso, who is just tedious and unconvincing to me. The prospect of his return inspires some trepidation.

Transferring Moss' goofiness to Anthony Lemke, as with the "password" joke (see how funny the silly man is!) and his presumed sexiness (see how awed Android is by his massive dick!) isn't really working for me. Marcus Boone as ordinary decent criminal as compared to Jace Corso, Portia Lin, the supposed mass murderer Griffin Jones and the power mad blood simple Ryo Ashida was a good character I thought. 

• Love 1

Hm, I wonder if Devon is dead or they'll save him with time travel or something. If he is dead, it would be weird, we already got a shocking death this season, and the set-up with a possible romance and his drug dealing thing (which wasn't exciting in the least but hey) would be wasted.

Liked the little caper with Three, Four and Five. I think this is the stuff the show does best, TBH. The prison escape in episode 2 was probably one of my favorite sequences of the entire run.

Android commenting on Three's looks felt weird and OOC to me.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 3

I enjoyed that very much, probably my favorite episode in the last few weeks (although I have really liked the whole season in general). This show has a real gift for heist episodes, it allows for a lot of good adventure and comedy, and the actors seem to really enjoy doing them. 

Fours deadpan reactions around Three is always fun, plus with the addition of Five. I am with Three, Five looked adorable in her teeny weeny scientist outfit. She was just swimming in it! Also, Three has NOT signed up for taking on the corporations. That made me chuckle. 

I liked the stuff with Devon and Nyx, even if it wasn't super exciting. Since we left him bleeding and not dead, I am pretty confident he will be fine. Glad he didn't betray the rest of the gang. I like the guy, and not just because I find the actor to be extremely cute. Well, not JUST that. 

I like that we are establishing more reoccurring characters, and fleshing out the world more. Good stuff, show. 

• Love 5

I enjoy Five "I can be helpful too" episodes.  This one was a really good one.  I loved when Three asked Five what he could do to help and she asked him to pass her some cookies.  Four's reactions was funny as well.  

Five and Three are tied for 2nd place favorite character on the show.  Android is number one.  This was also a funny episode for her.  I loved her checking out Three for being "Snug" I think it was in those transportation outfits.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

Why was Five's hair still blue (or green, or whatever) in clone form? The way they learned that One wasn't who they thought he was was when they did the clone travel thing, and his clone was a different person because it was based on DNA, not physical alterations. So why did the cloning replicate hair dye this time? Or is the blue hair actually genetic?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Android is number one.  This was also a funny episode for her.  I loved her checking out Three for being "Snug" I think it was in those transportation outfits.  

Ever since she got the emotion chip she's been singling him out to mess with, like when she chided him for not complimenting her on her new look and the little slap on the ass she gave him on the way out to her initial solo mission. For a supposed hardass he's really easy to rattle. It's fun to watch.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Why was Five's hair still blue (or green, or whatever) in clone form? The way they learned that One wasn't who they thought he was was when they did the clone travel thing, and his clone was a different person because it was based on DNA, not physical alterations. So why did the cloning replicate hair dye this time? Or is the blue hair actually genetic?

That's a really good point.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Three had the cut on his face as well. I'm assuming the pod also scans the person's appearance so that the clone can be given the same haircut/style, height, weight, etc. In an earlier episode this season there was a poster referring to Travel Transit 2.0. Perhaps they've been upgrading things. Genes may tell you a lot but there is also much that is developmental. However, when the genes and one's external appearance diverge so greatly, as in One, it seems that the system defaults to a projection of the genome (or at least version 1.0 did).

The Raza getting a drive upgrade gave me a flashback to Blake's 7 when the Scorpio got a new stardrive.

• Love 3

Heist episodes are always fun and this one was no exception. Surprising amount of humor and fun little beats like Two just smiling and saying 'thanks' when Six and Three went to get Chalckek after he performed his little Ramayana-inspired escape (he!). I also enjoyed the Android trying to help Nyx adjust and then switching to intimidating robot when Chalckek questioned her update.

The nifty little graphic explaining what the blink drive actually does (well sort of ) was great. I felt like Three and was glad to get some visual help. But of course the thing does not work properly. Which brings me to my first quibble with this episode. Five said the drive could be installed in any ship. Would it not have made more sense to perform the first test run on the Marauder with only one pilot (Six and his hero complex come to mind) and not risking the Raza and the whole crew (sans Devon and Nyx) if the thing goes kablooye? And my second quibble - those damned seers are back and their precog-abilities still suck yet we're supposed to think they're awesome enough to fly under everybody's radar. Ah, well - I hope the Raza deals with them soon and for good.

I'm exceedingly not moved by Devon's fate. He was/is just another Doc with shaky hands trope and I really wish the show had given him a less predictable background trauma and more of a personality.

Spoiler

Ugh, I hate alternative reality plots. But I prefer it to time-travel so there's that.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I liked this episode, too, especially 4 being so deadpan.  "I have to dislocate both shoulders" - not his.  Couldn't those Seers see a better clothing design for themselves?  Those jackets/aprons/booties are ridiculous. 

They do make them distinctive though, which is always important for a TV-show, especially when recurring characters are concerned.

17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Fun seeing Talor/David Hewlett's character again.  Loved how he played off the crew, especially Android.  That said, since it seems like his "capture" is going to put Kris Holden-Reid's character back on Raza's tail, they might want to consider disguising themselves or something, if they're going to keep pulling crimes like this.

It struck me as a careless mistake that the Raza went back to the same Space Station, something they have never done before. I guess they did not consider the possibility that Calchek's disappearance would be investigated, and by a top GA inspector at that. And while docking under a false registry is fine, the appearance of the ship should be camouflaged in some way. Maybe the CGI budget just doesn't allow for that kind of thing.

9 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Yes, it was good to see that Kris Holden-Reid has a recurring role. I like that the GA officer as their Javert. The crew needs a clever nemesis.

Kierken (Holden-Reid's character) is one of the best things to happen to this show. I'm guessing he (or his men) might find Devon and save him; it would give another connection  with the Raza. And another angle on the behaviour of its crew.

8 hours ago, Raja said:

I am thinking it is too soon and he didn't get the coup de grace like One did so I am guessing he gets treated in time.

He wasn't dead yet when the camera left him, and with Nyx on the one hand, and Kierken and his men on the other hand, there are two "named" characters who could find him and have him treated.

3 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

Three had the cut on his face as well. I'm assuming the pod also scans the person's appearance so that the clone can be given the same haircut/style, height, weight, etc. In an earlier episode this season there was a poster referring to Travel Transit 2.0. Perhaps they've been upgrading things. Genes may tell you a lot but there is also much that is developmental. However, when the genes and one's external appearance diverge so greatly, as in One, it seems that the system defaults to a projection of the genome (or at least version 1.0 did).

The Raza getting a drive upgrade gave me a flashback to Blake's 7 when the Scorpio got a new stardrive.

I'm also guessing it's the 2.0 thing, in-universe. The production-team may simply not have been able to combine shooting Jodelle both with and without dye in a relatively short span of time (DM episodes are shot chronologically, so the entire episode has to be shot in a limited time frame).

28 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Heist episodes are always fun and this one was no exception. Surprising amount of humor and fun little beats like Two just smiling and saying 'thanks' when Six and Three went to get Chalckek after he performed his little Ramayana-inspired escape (he!). I also enjoyed the Android trying to help Nyx adjust and then switching to intimidating robot when Chalckek questioned her update.

The nifty little graphic explaining what the blink drive actually does (well sort of ) was great. I felt like Three and was glad to get some visual help. But of course the thing does not work properly. Which brings me to my first quibble with this episode. Five said the drive could be installed in any ship. Would it not have made more sense to perform the first test run on the Marauder with only one pilot (Six and his hero complex come to mind) and not risking the Raza and the whole crew (sans Devon and Nyx) if the thing goes kablooye? And my second quibble - those damned seers are back and their precog-abilities still suck yet we're supposed to think they're awesome enough to fly under everybody's radar. Ah, well - I hope the Raza deals with them soon and for good.

I'm exceedingly not moved by Devon's fate. He was/is just another Doc with shaky hands trope and I really wish the show had given him a less predictable background trauma and more of a personality.

The episode was very fun and it was nice to see the Raza being effective again, allthough Five may be getting a tad overpowered (at this point, she has at least as much "superpowers" as Two and Nyx with her l33t hacking skills). What I love about DM is that it reconnects earlier elements; the return of Calchek, Reynaud, Kierken, the Seers, the keycard, the issues of the Android. The series is quite consistent if you watch it from start to most recent episode, no retcons.

The Marauder is not equipped with a FTL-drive, IIRC. It's an in-system shuttle that needs the Raza, or another ship with a large enough hangar, to move between systems. Hence, the test could only be done on the Raza itself. And the showrunners clearly wanted it that way, so they can pull off whatever episode will come out of the effect of the experiment.

Devon indeed is still a bland character, but the last minute of the episode made him somewhat interesting, even if only because he didn't betray the others. I'm surprised Nyx seems to be bonding with him.

9 hours ago, sjohnson said:

The timing was all weird. It seemed inevitable that one of the bodies would have its brains fried when the villain sent a pulse through the subspace connection. It was plausible to think Boone and Ashida (? somehow I'd thought it was Testsuda?) got out in time, but not all. It's really like they meant Emily/5's clone be her sole surviving form, then changed their mind too late to fix the script. The physical jeopardy of main characters is rarely that enthralling because series rarely kill off popular regular cast, anyhow. 

Varrick's witless speech about how somehow Raza zipping around the galaxy evened the playing field with the corporations not only made no sense as a strategy against the corporations. It also made no psychological sense. Varrick is the only one with any experience with a rebel movement and he hated, hated, hated rebels to the point he slaughtered them personally. (One with a different relationship to the corporations might have provided a different angle?)

Reynaud ordered to sent the pulse to only one of the pods, and just at around that time Five shot the clones of Four and Three. The Raza got lucky and the pod chosen was apparently not the one of Five.

Five's clone was never meant to be surviving, as the clones still decompose after a few days. And while it's true regular cast is rarely killed off, One's fate is still fresh in memory.

Varrick did not hate the rebel movement, he hated that he got duped into complicity for blowing up lots of civilians on an entire space station. When he learned the GA knew about that and let it happen anyway, he turned on the GA, too.

Being involved with rebels who hate the corporations would mean he would have been exposed to their way of thinking, and after seeing the corruption (of corps and of the GA) in action while on the Raza and in Hyperion-8, it's not out of the question he would come to believe the goals of the rebels were allright - just not the means used by the General.

Zipping around with a drive like that would be an enormous advantage; as stated in the episode, a warfleet would become invincible as it could be anywhere at once from the perspective of the enemy (a great multiplier of force towards an enemy who has to spread out his own fleet to protect key installations and worlds from an enemy that can appear anywhere at any time, with all of his forces). For the Raza, it means they can go anywhere they want too (possibly without worrying too much about fuel, allthough the use of the "blink" drive is presumably not free either) and get out whenever they want. Tracking the ship down becomes impossible, and they themselves can strike anywhere at any time.

Two things I noticed about the episode:

-Reynaud wanted Five taken alive (forbidding her henchmen to send a pulse to the other two pods, which would have surely hit Five's pod) and she was even willing to risk Five escaping. Her comment "she reminds me of a young me" won't harm the speculation that she is related to Five.

-why Reynaud needed the card so badly was explained; it was a one-of-a-kind prototype that she had stolen. What was not addressed: who made it in the first place, and would that person/organisation not be able to make more?

• Love 2

I don't think that it is a good idea to have two new characters bonding. I like Nyx and want her to spend more time with Four. Five seems to have a crush on Devon. Let him confide in her.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I don't think that it is a good idea to have two new characters bonding. I like Nyx and want her to spend more time with Four. Five seems to have a crush on Devon. Let him confide in her.

Considering that, this episode established that Nyx is not aware of her brothers' suicide. And with the seers looking for her, I guess that Four's advice may come out sooner rather than later. I think Nyx will find out within the next couple of episodes and then it remains to be seen how her relationship with Four will be affected.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Wouter said:

Reynaud ordered to sent the pulse to only one of the pods, and just at around that time Five shot the clones of Four and Three. The Raza got lucky and the pod chosen was apparently not the one of Five.

Five's clone was never meant to be surviving, as the clones still decompose after a few days. And while it's true regular cast is rarely killed off, One's fate is still fresh in memory.

Varrick did not hate the rebel movement, he hated that he got duped into complicity for blowing up lots of civilians on an entire space station. When he learned the GA knew about that and let it happen anyway, he turned on the GA, too.

Being involved with rebels who hate the corporations would mean he would have been exposed to their way of thinking, and after seeing the corruption (of corps and of the GA) in action while on the Raza and in Hyperion-8, it's not out of the question he would come to believe the goals of the rebels were allright - just not the means used by the General.

Zipping around with a drive like that would be an enormous advantage; as stated in the episode, a warfleet would become invincible as it could be anywhere at once from the perspective of the enemy (a great multiplier of force towards an enemy who has to spread out his own fleet to protect key installations and worlds from an enemy that can appear anywhere at any time, with all of his forces). For the Raza, it means they can go anywhere they want too (possibly without worrying too much about fuel, allthough the use of the "blink" drive is presumably not free either) and get out whenever they want. Tracking the ship down becomes impossible, and they themselves can strike anywhere at any time.

Ah, the part I didn't get is that somehow they could send a pulse to an unused pod. Forgot anything about the clones dissolving too. 

As to Varrick, the space station was also a military base. You can't blow up part of a space station. Varrick murdered all the revolutionaries near him and went to great lengths to kill the General. As to this being some sort of principled disagreement over methods of struggle, I'm sorry, I can't see how you conduct a space navy war against corporations. Suppose I want to take down Goldman Sachs. If I get a really snazzy supertank do I rumble up to HQ and blow up everybody there? What about their lawyers? What about their friends in political office?

Using superRaza against corporations is even worse than using bombing for humanitarian interventions: The collateral damage is almost certainly going to be much worse in the short run than the everyday bloodshed of the system. Revolutions are made by masses of people, not just marching in parades, or even grabbing guns, but in strikes, expropriations and the massive hard work of organizing a replacement system...not by aerial bombardment (or spacial, in the case of the Raza.) But supposedly Varrick hates revolution because it kills innocents (as if business as usual doesn't?) It would make more sense for Varrick to made a deal with mad dog Ryo to conquer Zairon, decree the liberation of humanity and then go conquer the galaxy to enforce it. Personally I think it would be doomed to fail because that's just war, not revolution. But given Varrick's previous murderous assaults on revolutionaries for killing civilians in the struggle, suddenly advocating a mass campaign guaranteed to kill many, many civilians makes zero sense to me.

PS I believe the she who is now one of them is Emily/Five, space brigand. As this raid proves.

Edited by sjohnson
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Yeah, since most of the cast seems to be mapped fairly directly to Firefly characters, he had potential to be a "Simon." One was the closest to that type previously -- the rich kid who lands among a crew of thieves while on a personal mission -- but Devon is actually a doctor, so he was a good Simon candidate. I'd been wondering if maybe he was a Simon who got caught instead of actually freeing his sister and getting away, and that was why he was in prison, so he'd have a personal reason for rebellion. Him being the drug-addicted doctor with shaky hands who killed someone on the operating table is so boring.

I also think Three is awfully tropey -- the bad boy jerk with a heart of gold who has a sad backstory based on tragedy during childhood.

4 hours ago, Wouter said:

It struck me as a careless mistake that the Raza went back to the same Space Station, something they have never done before. I guess they did not consider the possibility that Calchek's disappearance would be investigated, and by a top GA inspector at that. And while docking under a false registry is fine, the appearance of the ship should be camouflaged in some way. Maybe the CGI budget just doesn't allow for that kind of thing.

Perhaps but we don't know enough about the Dark Matter universe. The Raza type ship hull might be the equivalent of the Firefly hull from the show and Serenity movie. For wanted criminals and feared mercenaries they do seem to go anywhere without the fear that a one of a kind ship would give them away.

2 hours ago, sjohnson said:

PS I believe the she who is now one of them is Emily/Five, space brigand. As this raid proves.

I was trying to figure that one out. With SyFy replaying the "kill them all" as the tagline for its promotion Five being the she just seemed off, But then Nyx really didn't do much to be one of us.

11 hours ago, sjohnson said:

As to Varrick, the space station was also a military base. You can't blow up part of a space station. Varrick murdered all the revolutionaries near him and went to great lengths to kill the General.

Using superRaza against corporations is even worse than using bombing for humanitarian interventions: The collateral damage is almost certainly going to be much worse in the short run than the everyday bloodshed of the system. Revolutions are made by masses of people, not just marching in parades, or even grabbing guns, but in strikes, expropriations and the massive hard work of organizing a replacement system...not by aerial bombardment (or spacial, in the case of the Raza.) But supposedly Varrick hates revolution because it kills innocents (as if business as usual doesn't?)

As far as I recall, the goal of the rebels (as told to Varrick and at least one other member of the rebel cell) was to capture a GA cruiser, which they accomplished. It was not needed to also make a statement by blowing up the station and everyone on it (and it had no military function as far as I recall, a GA cruiser can call at a civilian installation, too). Everybody who works for the corporations is a target, according to the General, and he admitted this only after duping Varrick (and at least one other guy). Varrick was rightly murderously angry after that, he did not sign up for mass murder on this scale. He shot the leader of the cell (who was aware of the real intentions and thus guilty of mass murder) and then he was in a firefight with the remaining members.

I don't know where you get the idea that the Raza would suddenly be going for orbital bombardment; in 20 episodes of the show, the Raza has only used its onboard guns once in an offensive operations (the initial attack on the "freighter" of the seers). For the rest, they have been used only in defense (against the Seers, against Reynaud's ship in this episode and IIRC against 3 attacking Ferrous ships in S1, if they were even fired then). Most of the time, the Raza avoids combat. Supposedly, the ability to appear and disappear without warning would be used to mount the kind of raids that they have been doing for most of the show. 

8 hours ago, Raja said:

Perhaps but we don't know enough about the Dark Matter universe. The Raza type ship hull might be the equivalent of the Firefly hull from the show and Serenity movie. For wanted criminals and feared mercenaries they do seem to go anywhere without the fear that a one of a kind ship would give them away.

I was trying to figure that one out. With SyFy replaying the "kill them all" as the tagline for its promotion Five being the she just seemed off, But then Nyx really didn't do much to be one of us.

While I guess there may be more ships like the Raza out there, it cannot be quite equivalent to a Firefly class ship from the show of the same name. Serenity was an unarmed, rundown and relatively small freighter. The Raza, OTOH, is armed and manoevrable, enough to give the average corporate warship pause and enough that a fight against a GA cruiser is not seen as complete suicide (referring to the S1 finale, when Two wants to fight when she realises the FTL engines haven been sabotaged so they can't run).

In effect, the Raza is a private warship of unknown origin. One would think this kind of ship isn't ubiquitous in the DM world. A class name is also never mentioned, "The Raza" tends to be spoken of in a way that suggests its one of a kind.

The "she's one of them now" was taken from the dialogue in the script, like all the titles of the S2 episodes (sometimes the lines end up in deleted scenes, as was the case for "welcome to your new home"). Admittedly, it happens to work very well for Five even though Devon was referring to Nyx when he spoke the line. Seems to be a double meaning in this case.

• Love 2

I think Six's line about going after the corporations with the blink-drive must be seen in context with Four's line about what an army equipped with those things could accomplish - i.e. differing motivations of individual crew-members.

Six sees it as a means to an end in going after the corporations. Two might agree but for her getting revenge for One and going after her creators will also factor in. How far away is Terra Prime? Four realizes that it would give him a massive advantage in a possible war against his half-brother (he still lacks the army so it's possible that for the time being he's willing to go along with whatever plans the rest of the crew has). Three is not a crusader for any of these causes - interestingly enough he's also the one who picked up that Reynaud must have stolen the blink-drive from someone else. (And that someone else will sooner or later show up and make him an offer.) Nyx hasn't had the opportunity to voice an opinion but I guess we all know how she would like to use the device.

Five, the Android (and possibly Three) remain the wildcards. If - or rather when - those differing motivations ever cause real conflict (provided they ever get the thing to work properly) they will probably be faced with conflicting loyalties.

• Love 1

The use of the blink-drive, once it works properly, may be the factor that leads to the betrayal that Milo predicted. If one of the crew members steals it to use it on another ship for their own purposes (or to sell it), that would count as a betrayal.

On August 13, 2016 at 4:14 PM, SimoneS said:

The purpose of those scenes wasn't really about building a bond between Nyx and Devon - it was about giving Nyx and Devon reasons to be off the Raza when the Blink Drive was tested. Since the episode description for next week says the Raza goes to a parallel universe, the writers would naturally want to get the non-original crew members off the ship for that plot. It is clearly going to be the original crew members encountering alt-versions of themselves, and that's a lot of characters running around without having Nyx and Devon too, who wouldn't add anything to that plotline. That said, I do think there was value in having Nyx and Devon bond, in that it was interesting to hear two non-originals give their POV about the originals without the originals around, and also because while I like Nyx/Four too, I don't want her turned into just Four's love interest, only having screentime with him. But the show has always been very good about that - Two was never reduced to being only One's love interest, either, nor any of the characters siloed into just one relationship (platonic or not). We see some combinations more often, but the writers do mix it up with everyone.

I liked the Android's scene with Nyx. Some people might have taken offense at the Android comparing the loss of a crew member to the loss of a brother, but Nyx took it in the spirit it was intended. It might be that she felt that the Android was doing the best she could to empathize and appreciated the effort, or she felt that One was family to the rest of the crew - either one speaks well for her. She's a good person. I don't think she'll be the one to betray the crew, even when she inevitably finds out about Four, because that was Four's doing entirely. She doesn't seem the type who would punish the whole crew for what Four did.

I also liked that it was Two, Six and the Android who were there to say goodbye to Five's clone and welcome back the real Five, as those are the three that Five is closest to. The show's so good about tracking these dynamics. It was cute earlier in the episode when Five was telling Two about how she was hacking whatever and Two was standing behind her smiling with pride.

I was a little surprised that there was no reference here to Two's trembling hand from the previous episode, given that it was the cliffhanger. Obviously there wasn't room for that plot in this episode, but I thought there'd be a quick nod, like maybe Two in her quarters flexing her fingers before going out to meet the rest of the crew. Or maybe something like that was filmed and then cut for time, like the scene of the Android giving Five the toothbrush was cut for time in an earlier episode.

• Love 4
On 8/13/2016 at 11:56 AM, Terrafamilia said:

Considering what happened to Scorpio, along with most of the B7s' crafts, this is not a Good Thing!