Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

46 minutes ago, missmansfield said:

Why are the lash extensions so expensive?  I was shocked to get a price of $175.00 when I inquired about them.

It's literally one to two thousand dollars to get certified typically. It truly is an art. You can get certified but you still have to really work to hone your craft and be great at it. think of every set of eyes, every client preference, not to mention the quality of the products used. 

Each set takes a couple of hours, and you definitely get what you pay for. You don't want someone who is forced to meet a quota (like at the chains, Amazingl Lash for one), rushing around your eyes with super glue lol. It's an investment for sure. We've all seen bad lashes. Bad lashes are a commitment for a month or so. Who wants to risk it! 

Did you check out the reputation of the business who quoted you? That's something to consider as well. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

When we closed, we did a walk through beforehand, and they had left the Disney princess switch plate so we brought it to her and the Mom was so thankful. It was so cute.

Awwww you're so nice!!

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

It's literally one to two thousand dollars to get certified typically. It truly is an art. You can get certified but you still have to really work to hone your craft and be great at it. think of every set of eyes, every client preference, not to mention the quality of the products used. 

Each set takes a couple of hours, and you definitely get what you pay for. You don't want someone who is forced to meet a quota (like at the chains, Amazingl Lash for one), rushing around your eyes with super glue lol. It's an investment for sure. We've all seen bad lashes. Bad lashes are a commitment for a month or so. Who wants to risk it! 

Did you check out the reputation of the business who quoted you? That's something to consider as well. 

Yep, and after I wrote my comment I remembered the $175.00 was for their Christmas holiday special, so it is even more than that usually.  I have a lot of beauty services done but I am going to skip this one!!!

6 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Awwww you're so nice!!

Well thank you. Any decent person would have done the same. Anyone who stands between a girl and her Disney characters has some serious karmic retribution to reap. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, missmansfield said:

Yep, and after I wrote my comment I remembered the $175.00 was for their Christmas holiday special, so it is even more than that usually.  I have a lot of beauty services done but I am going to skip this one!!!

Every person has to decide what they can and cannot afford. If you don't think you'd value it, no sense in investing in it. But you investigated it for a reason, so I bet you'd be giddy after your first set.  

The beauty of broadening my skill set is that there are clients like you who invest in certain services and some in others. I make money off all of you lol. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, QuiteCalM said:

Every person has to decide what they can and cannot afford. If you don't think you'd value it, no sense in investing in it. But you investigated it for a reason, so I bet you'd be giddy after your first set.  

The beauty of broadening my skill set is that there are clients like you who invest in certain services and some in others. I make money off all of you lol. 

I had a friend who had her lashes done and never looked back...she's been doing them for 4 years and LOVES them. I have lashes that actually hit my glasses so think of all the money I am saving;) You are a real artiste!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Rosiemac said:

I had a friend who had her lashes done and never looked back...she's been doing them for 4 years and LOVES them. I have lashes that actually hit my glasses so think of all the money I am saving;) You are a real artiste!

OMG I'm SO jealous!! You lucky girl. 

Well, I have to practice but I'm really enthusiastic about lashes!! 

• Love 1

@QuiteCalM can you just fix my whole face? I can't even apply eyeshadow without looking like a stripper at a d-list facility. Forget contouring, I did that once and looked like a contestant on RuPaul's Drag Race or whatever it's called. I have no effing clue how to do anything pretty 

• Love 6

So don't think I'm weird y'all, I have a newborn. keep my lack of sleep in mind here. I dreamed we had a Forum Family Reunion where everyone brought a covered dish and wore nametags with our screen names and real names listed and we partied like Amy Reese on calendar shoot (allegedly). 

I'm having a thought for reals though, when we all get together to see @QuiteCalMs DCC bathroom, she can fix our eyebrows while we socialize and go round and round about the Cassie/Taylor incident, why we think Hannah and Chelsea really were cut, and if Tasha/Yuko are good or bad. Maybe CMT can film us! Call it DCC Fan-ily Feud, Steve Harvey can host. I'll bring some brownies and wine. 

• Love 9
50 minutes ago, Oklahomama said:

@QuiteCalM can you just fix my whole face? I can't even apply eyeshadow without looking like a stripper at a d-list facility. Forget contouring, I did that once and looked like a contestant on RuPaul's Drag Race or whatever it's called. I have no effing clue how to do anything pretty 

Are...are you me?

6 minutes ago, spazette said:

So don't think I'm weird y'all, I have a newborn. keep my lack of sleep in mind here. I dreamed we had a Forum Family Reunion where everyone brought a covered dish and wore nametags with our screen names and real names listed and we partied like Amy Reese on calendar shoot (allegedly). 

I'm having a thought for reals though, when we all get together to see @QuiteCalMs DCC bathroom, she can fix our eyebrows while we socialize and go round and round about the Cassie/Taylor incident, why we think Hannah and Chelsea really were cut, and if Tasha/Yuko are good or bad. Maybe CMT can film us! Call it DCC Fan-ily Feud, Steve Harvey can host. I'll bring some brownies and wine. 

I'll bring the Bota Boxes!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Oklahomama said:

Oh, girl, me too.  I'm dying for lashes because I think they will distract from the rest of my face.

On the few occasions I went to a dance in high school, I would have my makeup done at one of the counters in the mall and every single time, I came away from the experience looking like a clown (NOTHING IS SCARIER THAN A CLOWN) that had smoked too much weed.  Needless to say, the experiences have scarred me.  These days, I have 2 kids, a man child for a husband and a full time job.  I don't have the time for makeup!  I have never worn blush in my life, I occasionally use eye shadow but not eyeliner and I stopped wearing lip gloss in college (Chapstick for the win, people!).  I wear a tinted BB cream everyday to work and I apply it with my fingers.  THE HORROR.  A wee bit of bronzer (even in the winter - is that allowed?) and mascara.

So, basically, I too need help.  From anyone.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Oklahomama said:

Girl, I've seen your face. You're doing JUST fine, whatever you're doing lol! You could easily get by at a formal event with just a set of lashes, a tinted CC cream and a gloss. GO baby!

8 hours ago, spazette said:

I think this is an amazing idea.

5 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

Girl, I've seen your face. You're doing JUST fine, whatever you're doing lol! You could easily get by at a formal event with just a set of lashes, a tinted CC cream and a gloss. GO baby!

I think this is an amazing idea.

Might I recommend the Tarte Amazonian Clay CC cream. That's what I'm wearing on my face now and it's sheer but just about covers the redness I have on my cheeks and the leftover sunburn on my nose.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Ante said:

Oh, girl, me too.  I'm dying for lashes because I think they will distract from the rest of my face.

On the few occasions I went to a dance in high school, I would have my makeup done at one of the counters in the mall and every single time, I came away from the experience looking like a clown (NOTHING IS SCARIER THAN A CLOWN) that had smoked too much weed.  Needless to say, the experiences have scarred me.  These days, I have 2 kids, a man child for a husband and a full time job.  I don't have the time for makeup!  I have never worn blush in my life, I occasionally use eye shadow but not eyeliner and I stopped wearing lip gloss in college (Chapstick for the win, people!).  I wear a tinted BB cream everyday to work and I apply it with my fingers.  THE HORROR.  A wee bit of bronzer (even in the winter - is that allowed?) and mascara.

You just described my daily makeup. But I do shape my brows and throw on a gloss.

giphy.gif

Your cosmetics counter thing CRACKED me up. I had mine done for prom back in the 80s by a counter girl. BIG diff between a counter girl and a makeup artist who is allowed to choose her lines she uses and usually has more experience, education and in my case, a license that I have to maintain.

I LITERALLY looked like a clown for prom. Washed it off and did my own LOL. I was doing prom makeup last month (can you believe girls not get professional artists to do their makeup!?! FOR FUCKING PROM?) and the moms and I were laughing about 80s cosmetic counter makeup. I think mine was from Ultima. Which doesn't even exist anymore. Ugh. Memories.

3 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Might I recommend the Tarte Amazonian Clay CC cream. That's what I'm wearing on my face now and it's sheer but just about covers the redness I have on my cheeks and the leftover sunburn on my nose.

I'll have to get my hands on a sample! Right now I use the Dermalogica redness relief when I have a ruddier client and I like it but I feel like it could be better. Thanks for the referral!

Edited by QuiteCalM
2 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

I'll have to get my hands on a sample! Right now I use the Dermalogica redness relief when I have a ruddier client and I like it but I feel like it could be better. Thanks for the referral!

Tarte is my favorite and they don't test on animals! I have the amazonian clay foundation as well as the water foundation, but I like the water foundation better so I'm trying to sell the clay foundation.

1 minute ago, heatherrrrz said:

Tarte is my favorite and they don't test on animals! I have the amazonian clay foundation as well as the water foundation, but I like the water foundation better so I'm trying to sell the clay foundation.

Yeah, unfortunately, Tarte is owned by KOSE, who does test on animals. I can't get into animal testing though, or I'll lose my damn mind.

2 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

Yeah, unfortunately, Tarte is owned by KOSE, who does test on animals. I can't get into animal testing though, or I'll lose my damn mind.

...I only bought Tarte because they don't test on animals...greatttt

20 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

...I only bought Tarte because they don't test on animals...greatttt

Yeah, while the individual companies under a parent company don't siphon funds to one another, the parent company does own stock, and therefore benefits from all its subsidiaries, even the ones that do use animal testing. Parent companies, unless they say so, don't care. Estee Lauder is a huge aminal tester. L'oreal, Clairol, Kose, to name a few.

1 minute ago, QuiteCalM said:

Yeah, while the individual companies under a parent company don't siphon funds to one another, the parent company does own stock, and therefore benefits from all its subsidiaries, even the ones that do use animal testing. Parent companies, unless they say so, don't care. Estee Lauder is a huge aminal tester. L'oreal, Clairol, Kose, to name a few.

ughh this sucks.

1 hour ago, Ante said:

See, I don't have kids and I'm not married so I guess that's why it's easy for me to perfect my brows and do my face in the morning. Lol I wear brows, concealer, powder, bronzer, highlighter, blush and mascara to work..you MAY get some eyeshadow on a good day. BUT..I have perfected my 10-minute "get me out the door" makeup just in case I have kids one day and still want to go out the house looking somewhat done lol

1 hour ago, QuiteCalM said:

I have a friend that uses Beauty Counter specifically because they do not test on animals and she loves how the products look. I have started using Limelight and love the coverage of the base and the colors are very pigmented. They do not test on animals either. It's a win win:)

• Love 1

Moni, I just bought dipbrow in Taupe. I asked the girl at Ulta if she thought Taupe or Blonde would be a better shade and I think the Taupe is really dark. What're your thoughts on my skin tone for which shade I should use? Maybe I'll attempt it tomorrow without already having the brow definer on and see if it's any lighter?

On 7/6/2017 at 0:30 PM, bigskygirl said:

Did anyone else feel the earthquake in Montana this morning. I live about 30 miles from where the earthquake happened, and I definitely felt it around 12:30 a.m. and a few aftershocks. Talk about scary and spooky. Minor damage and a no injuries reported so far.

My best gf has a summer place outside of Kalispell.  She woke out of a sound sleep; thought one of her dogs was having a seizure.  Sooo scary!

5 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

Moni, I just bought dipbrow in Taupe. I asked the girl at Ulta if she thought Taupe or Blonde would be a better shade and I think the Taupe is really dark. What're your thoughts on my skin tone for which shade I should use? Maybe I'll attempt it tomorrow without already having the brow definer on and see if it's any lighter?

Is it a powder? Do you have a light shadow? Dab both until you get the shade you want, use the back of your hand as your pallet and dab until you get the right color.

I am giving a makeup lesson tomorrow morning. Going to see if I can record it for yall!

• Love 3
19 hours ago, spazette said:

I'm in!  

10 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

Yeah, unfortunately, Tarte is owned by KOSE, who does test on animals.

What the hell?  I thought animal testing wasn't legal, what gives???

For CC cream I use IT cosmetics, the coverage is pretty good, but the pump tends to be inconsistent :(

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I'm in!  

What the hell?  I thought animal testing wasn't legal, what gives???

For CC cream I use IT cosmetics, the coverage is pretty good, but the pump tends to be inconsistent :(

lord no. It's legal. Immoral and unnecessary, but legal.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

I feel like their blond is darker than normal. I use blonde. I darken my hair to auburn and as it fades, I add some Ulta buttercream shadow (matte) over the dipbrow blonde and brush through with my swoolie. 

9 minutes ago, AnnMichele said:

I feel like their blond is darker than normal. I use blonde. I darken my hair to auburn and as it fades, I add some Ulta buttercream shadow (matte) over the dipbrow blonde and brush through with my swoolie. 

I'm going to see how it is today and if it's too dark I'll exchange for blonde. My mother compared my brows to someone and now I can't remember but it wasn't nice lol

On 7/6/2017 at 11:42 PM, Oklahomama said:

You don't need it Oklahoma.  You are quite lovely!

In my opinion, I think the squad was best in Season One to Season Five. I am not saying there was not standouts after Season Five, but to me, they lost their spark. They did lose a lot of their more popular and better dancers in a mass exit after Season Five. I am not excited about the girls as I was a few years ago. The rookies do not seem to have the fun, the spark and the wow factor the earlier squads had. I think they have been trying to replace the Jackie Bob, Brooke Sorenson, Nicole Hamilton, Mia Greenhouse with the newer rookies, but like I said I am not seeing it.

9 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

In my opinion, I think the squad was best in Season One to Season Five. I am not saying there was not standouts after Season Five, but to me, they lost their spark. They did lose a lot of their more popular and better dancers in a mass exit after Season Five. I am not excited about the girls as I was a few years ago. The rookies do not seem to have the fun, the spark and the wow factor the earlier squads had. I think they have been trying to replace the Jackie Bob, Brooke Sorenson, Nicole Hamilton, Mia Greenhouse with the newer rookies, but like I said I am not seeing it.

Completely agree. Season 1-5 I feel were the strongest squads. I also feel like the type of cheerleader they pick has changed. I can't decide if it's because I am getting older, but I feel like the squad gets younger and younger each year and the women aren't as mature as they once were. 

Season 6 was a HUGE change from the other seasons. I was extremely excited because that was the first year that they went to hour long episodes. The squad had much less of a spark that year. Now I'm rewatching all the seasons from the beginning and am currently on season 2. The women auditioning I believe wouldn't even be considered today. Jenn K i believed would have fit in with the squads from back then. She reminds me of vets from seasons 1-5. Jenn K has always seemed older (not in a negative way) and more mature than the rest of the squad. 

2 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

Has anyone tried arctic zero? @LaurenBrook

yup!! some are good, some are not lol  if you think halo top is 'icy' or 'yucky' you will NOT like artic zero ;)  

I love the 'chunky' flavors - cookie dough is so good and i like the snickerdoodle and brownie blast as well.  the only non chunky one i like is the cake batter but i mix sprinkles in usually lol 

but you def want to put it in microwave for 20 seconds first...that helps a lot. 

Congrats on passing. Do they have you do parallel parking? The only point I had taken off was not using my turn signal while pulling away from the curb after my parallel parking part of the test. For me the written test was harder than the driving test.The area where I took my test has railroad tracks near by so I had to wait for a train to go though and for traffic to start moving before I was able to make a left turn. I know they use to have MT Highway Patrol troopers do the driving tests. I cannot imagine what it would have been like to have a trooper sitting next to telling me what to do during the test. I also have not done any parallel parking since the test.

I took my test 10 years ago -yikes- and they didn't have me parallel park. They didn't even teach it in driving school.

Well I'm in England so I presume  it's different in the USA. Here you get told to do one of three manoeuvres; parallel park, reverse around a corner or bay parking. I got parallel park today. You can also be asked to do an emergency stop but I didn't get that. There's an 'independent driving' section where you get told to follow the signs for somewhere and then you have to work it out for yourself and the rest is just driving round with the instructor. 

1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

I took my test 10 years ago -yikes- and they didn't have me parallel park. They didn't even teach it in driving school.

I guess it depends on the state, my niece took hers about 10 years ago and she did have to parallel park.  I got my license in 1983, and if that were part of my test I don't think I'd be driving to this day, I completely suck at parallel parking!

• Love 1
Just now, ByTor said:

I guess it depends on the state, my niece took hers about 10 years ago and she did have to parallel park.  I got my license in 1983, and if that were part of my test I don't think I'd be driving to this day, I completely suck at parallel parking!

It must depend on the state. I lied, it's only been 9 years but still!

53 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Were you only six when you learned to drive then?  Because your photo looks a decade younger than this tidbit suggests.  

I'm in Maryland and ten years ago my brother got his license on just a small course with stop signs, parallel parking and a reverse 2 point turn, basically the equivalent of backing into a space. 3 years later when I came along, they added a road component and after the course you went on the street with real people! There were 5 or so courses they used and they would ask you to recall traffic signs as soon as you passed them. My course had a right turn on red. The anxiety!