Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Wild, Wild Westerly

• Start Topic

Not nearly as much fun, this one felt more like shuffling characters into place to set up other stories. I don't want Pree gone (as soon as I saw his bar, I knew he wouldn't be back on Lucy), I don't like the special agency-in-the-agency plot, and I couldn't be more bored with Pawter. At least we had Alvis. And the cool bit with breaking loose from the restraints at the beginning.

I think I'll like it better on second watch but first time through? Meh. (It was practically a Teen Wolf ep 2 of any season loss of quality for me.)

• Love 2

Thank God Alvis lived! I was worried. Loved the scene of Dutch, D'Avin and Johnny saving him. 

So great seeing Pawter and Hills again. RIP, Hills (damn you, Jelco!)

Loved the clever way Johnny left the listening device with Pawter. Speaking of her, she keeps talking about how terrible her family is, so I'm guessing we'll meet them soon.

Dutch and Pree's goodbye hug ::sniff::

Shocked to see Turin again. Thought for sure he was a goner. And now I'm curious to see what his unsanctioned warrants involve. I don't see it ending well.

I think they've done a good job so far setting up the storylines for this season.

• Love 2
(edited)

Did I like Pawter last season? I think so, but Sarah Power kept droning out her lines in a flat, rushed way that made me stop believing her.

How do the residents of Old Town still have money to spend at The Royale and how is Pree getting supplies?

The whole episode dragged for me, so maybe I just wasn't very engaged.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Probably not the best hour of Killjoys, but I liked the running humor of the dude-ripped-on-steroids getting his ass kicked by women and effeminate males.

Did I hear that right, Alvis saying there hadn't been any Scarbacks on Arkyn for over 200 years?  If so, then was that memory that D'avin saw from way back then, or a future-sight of upcoming events?

The Company guy was the "dickiest dick who ever dicked".

Since Dutch/Johnny might never happen, I could settle for Johnny/Pawter (Pawnny?  Johter??).   I could ship it.

• Love 5

Getting warrants so they can do what they want while pretending to be Killjoys? These guys are way too cool to worry about needing warrants for the money. They just do this stuff personal reasons or for their friends. No crusading over principles, much less politics, that sort of stuff is for pretenders.

About the only emotions felt in this episode were adoration for Dutch. And Pree decided to stay in his bar, which strongly suggests that the bombing of Old Town was more of an inconvenience than an atrocity. 

There were some funny lines of course. But there was one misstep. If Johnny is the one who knows CPR, he does the chest compressions and the lung inflations. The boy doesn't just hand it off to the girl so he doesn't get cooties from giving the kiss of life. Why wouldn't they just have Dutch do the CPR?

I love how they keep dropping random facts about Pree, that make me really want to see a spin-off about his past life.  A warlord?!  John's reaction was pretty much what mine was as well.  I'm bummed that he's sticking around in Old Town and no longer with the gang, but I figured he couldn't leave his bar again.  It's probably one of the most important things in his life.  Hopefully, they'll get back to Old Town again soo.

Great see Alvis and Pawter again!  And Hills too, before he met his untimely end, at the hands/gun of this new Company man.  At least Alvis made it out, but it seems like Pawter is not a "guest" of the Company.  But John found a creative way to slip her a bug!  I'm sure she'll become a factor again very soon.

Speaking of returns, did not see Turin still being alive.  I remember his last scene was Khylen dragging him off, so I guess he saved him for whatever reason.  I love that he's still a major dick, but is now a dick who is on the gang's side, because they have the same goal... for now.

What was going on with Dutch and her reflection in the mirror not doing what she was doing?  Is she just seeing things?  Is something else going on, here?

Slower then last week, since I a lot of it felt like more set-up and catch-up, but I'm still enjoying the hell out of this show.  I already love almost all of these characters.

• Love 4

I think my biggest 'problem' with W,WW was that it felt very exposition-y, as compared to the usual balls-to-the-wall action and one-liners that are flying left and right in the usual 42 minutes of Killjoys runtime.  But if there has a to be an exposition-heavy episode in any of the 10 episodes that make a season, I'd rather get it over with quickly than putting up with it as the stretch run is ramping up to the finale.

• Love 1

It looks like this episode was setting up the season long plot.  I thought one of the many drawbacks of season 1 was there was no real plot and yet no real character development either.  These three people could have been anyone traveling around in space.  I didn't get a feel for what Killjoys actually were.  It looks like this season the show is trying to correct that and still tell an overarching storyline.   I always liked Pewter and her staying on the planet with the "bad guys" while still being able to communicate is an interesting way to keep her own the show and not be actually on the ship.

• Love 2

I wonder if getting tidbits about Pree's past is turning into a running-gag this season, that would be hilarious. I'm glad we got Pawter and Alvis back, the later complete with major crisis of faith. And from the tinkling music when they first met to Dutch being the one delivering the kiss of life we might be in for another variation of ye old love-triangle (I don't mind, the show has been pretty good about romantic shenanigans so far).

Glad we got Turin back too, he's a fun character and Jelco is definitely someone you can love to hate. I do hope they take care of him and his wonderwall ASAP.

Alvis claiming that Scarbacks haven't been to Arkyn for over 200 years seems to add weight to the assumption that D'avin's vision was indeed a trip to the past i.e. a memory. Khlyen being alive 200 years ago wouldn't surprise me. As for Dutch: maybe current Durch is the reincarnation of past Scarback-killing Dutch (that might throw a wrench in any Dutch-Alvis hookup) and her 'hallucination' in front of the mirror is the first symptom of unconscious regression? Seems unlikely as the show has never dabbled with reincarnation so far but I'm currently reading a mystery about reincarnation so I'm just seeing reincarnation plots everywhere.

Much of this episode was devoted to catching up with characters and events missing from the first episode and preparing the ground for this season. Maybe not as exciting as last week but still pretty enjoyable. And it also delivered on the humor-front. I loved Gared getting his ass kicked by everybody he tried to intimidate but my favorite was:

Jelco tracked the shit out of us; we'll shit the track out of him.
That makes no sense.
Because I'm angry.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Loved the clever way Johnny left the listening device with Pawter. Speaking of her, she keeps talking about how terrible her family is, so I'm guessing we'll meet them soon.

We did meet her mother last season who was rather snippy with Johnny.  But my reading is that her mother still loves her (she keeps her supplied with Jax) she is just keeping it waaay on the down low so plausible deniability.

38 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I wonder if getting tidbits about Pree's past is turning into a running-gag this season, that would be hilarious.

I thought of this as well.  He was a Warlord?  I love it.  I am enjoying learning more about Pree and think that just because he is back on Westerley doesn;t mean they aren't going to pull the trigger on him later.  He presents as a bar owner full of sexiness and ennui, but he is badass obviously and I have an inkling  haven't yet seen the full of it.

8 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

It looks like this episode was setting up the season long plot.

This was my thought as well.  it really felt like a, let's set up all our chess pieces on the board and make a few moves to get the feel of the opposition.  I tend not to like these types of episodes but it is good to get it out of the way early on so we can get to the meat of the story. 

• Love 3

I didn't feel very engaged by this episode. For some reason the main characters annoyed me by attacking that guy then demanding Davin be added back on the team and being so roid ragey about it all and acting like it was anticlimatic when they got what they wanted after being rude and violent.

Eh. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Pree's real name is Prima Dezz --- and not only was he a Warlord, but a Warlord with a full head of white hair.  And he's only 38.

Still hate the new opening credits.

Yeah. I was very 'what the fuck is this' in the season opener, and I hate it even more the second time around.

18 hours ago, wayne67 said:

I didn't feel very engaged by this episode. For some reason the main characters annoyed me by attacking that guy then demanding Davin be added back on the team and being so roid ragey about it all and acting like it was anticlimatic when they got what they wanted after being rude and violent.

Eh. 

I think I'm done with Killjoys, tbh. I watched till midway this episode, and then stopped. Did we always have the cheery, isn't this hilarious, hyuk hyuk music while people were committing suicide?

And then the music gets even funnier during the exposition of "I pushed the red button, and 7 people died horribly!" And it got so loud I could barely focus on the dialogue.

The hell happened to this show? I mean, I enjoyed the Dark Matter episode more! WTF?

Ugh. Disappointing.

• Love 1

The new credits still suck. But I love the rest of the show, so I can deal with it.

This was clearly a set up episode, getting everyone into the laces they need to be at for the rest of the season to happen. I liked it alright, but it was a step down from last week. Last week was so much fun, and this week just kind of happened. It was nice seeing Alvis and Pawter, and Hill, before he met his demise. Poor guy. 

I do have to say, as much as I love this show, I find the follow up with Old Town to be a bit of a cop out to last seasons epic, tragic ending. It seemed like the whole town was going to be destroyed, and we would have to start all over again this season. This season, however, the bombing was bad, but not really the massive mess that it seemed like last year. I mean, Prees bar is still pretty much totally fine! Its clear that things are bad there, and people were tragically killed and are being treated badly, but it seems like something that can still be fixed by the end of the season. 

The characters are still a lot of fun though so I cannot be too upset. 

• Love 4

I also enjoyed Dark Matter more this week, but then, for some reason, I always felt like it had more potential than Killjoys, it just never realized it before. I still watch both, but Killjoys isn't quite as engaging as I'd want it to be. Also, me not remembering the events of s1 really puts a damper on things.

The "Dutch resuscitating Alvis" scene (combined with D'Avin watching) almost felt like a set-up for a love triangle which would make ZERO sense because I don't remember anything shippy or even especially emotional between them in s1. But then, I really don't remember much, even about Alvis' religion.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

The "Dutch resuscitating Alvis" scene (combined with D'Avin watching) almost felt like a set-up for a love triangle which would make ZERO sense because I don't remember anything shippy or even especially emotional between them in s1. But then, I really don't remember much, even about Alvis' religion.

The camera also zoomed in briefly on D'Avin when Dutch and Alvis hugged - that plus the 'we're the teamiest' scene at the beginning where D'Avin got firmly friend-zoned seem all to indicate the show will go there. Also: we were never given that much info about Scarbacks and their vows but I'd assume celibacy is part of the deal, by having Alvis suffering from a crisis of faith the writers paved the path both for a romance/hook-up and its ending. If we get spared any love-triangle shenanigans in the process I don't mind.

• Love 1

I wouldn't mind it if there were at least SOME hints about that in s1. But I genuinely remember nothing about Alvis' relationship with the team, he felt like an informant, mostly. If they go the romance route, it would feel like a full-blown retcon to me, and I hate retcons. It doesn't even help that I find Alvis hot.

Alvis talking religion to Johnny and Johnny listening was done a little last season. Continuing that would have been far more interesting than yet another person who hopelessly adores Dutch I think. Having everyone in love with Dutch doesn't make her more desirable. (And having her reject everyone just comes across as the show covertly playing to certain notions about what sex is appropriate for women.)

Well, it's not a given that anything happens between the two but some shipping is expected by certain parts of fandom and the show has to deliver. It's also possible they'll do that with Pawter and Johnny - some groundwork was laid in this episode for that too (even if the kiss was a ruse).

I agree that there's stuff I find more interesting - what's coming to the Quad? Who's the Lady etc. And yes, I found Johnny tentatively trying to find out more about religion intriguing and would like to see more of that. With Alvis on board for the time being that could also happen.

• Love 1

I'd take Johnny/Clara or even Johnny/Lucy over Johnny/Pawter TBH. The kiss was so out of the blue I was sure it was a ruse - and it was. I feel zero chemistry or interest between them. Plus, didn't Pawter sleep with D'Avin at some point? Awkward.

Khlyen and Dutch/Khlyen are my main draws at this point.

1 hour ago, FurryFury said:

I'd take Johnny/Clara or even Johnny/Lucy over Johnny/Pawter TBH. The kiss was so out of the blue I was sure it was a ruse - and it was. I feel zero chemistry or interest between them. Plus, didn't Pawter sleep with D'Avin at some point? Awkward.

Khlyen and Dutch/Khlyen are my main draws at this point.

My memory of last year is a bit hazy but I'm pretty sure they set up the Johnny/Pawter thing then.  They were eyeing each other and having the sort of conversations you would expect was seed planting.  I think that it was meant to balance the Dutch/D'avin stuff so that Johnny wouldn't seem totally monomaniacal about Dutch.

2 hours ago, Snarkette said:

I'm pretty sure that Johnny prefers circuits -- if you follow what I'm saying.

It's embarrassing to admit..but I don't follow. Johnny loves Dutch (and loves D'Avin like a brother,) but falls in like with the nearest plausible female every week.

30 minutes ago, sjohnson said:

It's embarrassing to admit..but I don't follow. Johnny loves Dutch (and loves D'Avin like a brother,) but falls in like with the nearest plausible female every week.

But none of them hold a candle to Johnny's first love which is none other than Lucy (the ship).

• Love 2

Yes. He was interested in the electrical engineer and the bio-mech girl. But nothing compares to his outright attraction to Wall and his love for Lucy. 

Johnny and Lucy. I ship them. 

• Love 1
(edited)

They definitely implied some past relationship between Dutch & Alvis last season. I just finished a S1 rematch and there was some subtle stuff at the beginning of the season, but it was strongly implied in the season finale (Dutch gets Hills to let her see Alvis by saying "you know our history, let me at least say good bye." Whether it was romantic or casual or just good gun-runnin' buddies is unknown - but both of their smiles when he says "are you really going to deny the last request of a sexy dying man" makes me think sheets were rumpled sometime in the past.

Edited by Kyrielle
Level 1 warrant for leaving out a word.
  • Love 5