Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E13: Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, Charlie Sheen, Christine and the Queens

• Start Topic

Graham is joined by Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones, who are all starring in the new Ghostbusters remake, as well as actor Charlie Sheen. Plus there is music from Christine and the Queens, performing Tilted.

It was odd to just have Sheen and Graham but a decent interview.  The rest was pretty good but I wish McKinnon had more to say and having never seen her in anything I really like Jones.   It's odd because the clips they showed here were actually pretty good but the commercials I've seen have been crap. 

Sheen is such a paradox. A messy and self-destructive life, but often his interviews are engaging and witty. I actually found him more interesting than the Ghostbusters couch (which is the reason I tuned in.)

• Love 1

This one was 45 minutes on BBC America. I saw an obvious cut during Charlie Sheen, and wonder how much was cut from the Ghostbusters couch, and if it was a lot, if it affected the quality of what we saw because it didn't seem quite there.

And speaking of Charlie Sheen, do we trust him?  Because his Donald Trump story, if true, is a good example of what he's all about, but I wouldn't want to be citing Sheen as my authority on anything.

I always FF through the musical acts but noticed some interesting looking dancing on this one and watched it and it was AMAZING. 

I don't like Charlie Sheen, didn't like him on the show, and thought the whole thing was a waste of [my] time. I dislike Trump as much as the next guy, but I'm skeptical of Sheen's story. 

Loved the Ghostbusters couch. I love all four women. Kate's Bieber impression is da bomb.

I even loved the musical performance, esp the dancing. Mesmerizing.

• Love 2

I think the problem with all four guests being from the same film is part of the appeal is usually everyone gets their own anecdote moment. And when they're all promoting the same thing you get what we saw here, where they were kind of talking and laughing over each other. So, everyone's funny, but the flow was kind of awkward and choppy.

McKinnon's Beiber is the best thing ever.

They all seemed a smidge jetlagged maybe? Which is entirely reasonable. Even when Graham asked if the flying all over for press was exhausting, their nonverbal responses were telling.

The red chair bit was a little too inside-joke for me. They were clearly amused. And I can see how that'd be funny if you were there/working on it, but it was underwhelming. Would've preferred an actual red chair story.

• Love 1

Leslie Jones makes me laugh so hard. Even her 'want my number?' in that commercial kills me. It was therefore super fun to see her crack up when Mckinnon was grooming her hair telling the 'Middleton' story.

Yes, please, let's give a wifebeater a 50th chance at public adoration. Fucking ugh.

• Love 1

I finally got around to watching it.  I think Leslie Jones is incredibly funny and her bit about her parents' reaction to her giving up her scholarship had me on the floor.  And they slimed the Red Chair!  It'll never be the same.

I always FF the musical numbers, and this time I FFd through Sheen, so it was really really short!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I always FF the musical numbers, and this time I FFd through Sheen, so it was really really short!

I strongly suggest viewing the musical guest.  I usually FF through them too, but Christine and the Queens is such a great act & Héloïse Letissier is such a great performer that I think you may enjoy this one.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm normally not that into the musical performanced and  ff through this one too. Only when I heard the people on the couch rave about it and Heloïse said 'I used to be awkward, now I'm awkward with style' did I check back - it was definitely worth it.

Never seen Leslie Jones until this week when someone posted her clip of commenting on GoT Battle of Bastards - she's definitely funny, hope her father finally agrees LOL!

The Sheen interview was okay I guess for what it was. I wasn't particularly fond of the idea but people like redemption stories. Norton handled it well and did actually bring up stuff I thought would not get touched upon - but all in all I could have done without it.

Edited by MissLucas

Sheen was softballed so much. And the audience ate it up, as they often do, because he's so charming.

I mean it's not like you can ask him outright "why did you have unprotected sex after you were diagnosed with HIV", but... I dunno. Treating him like he's a poor misunderstood victim?  Come on.

• Love 2

I do have some sympathy for him because he strikes me as being genuinely mentally ill rather than merely a self-destructive asshole. And when he finally drinks himself to death, ODs, gets gunned down by a pimp, or whatever it's going to kill not just him but Martin Sheen as well. But I still wouldn't want to spend any time around him.