Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Playing Politics: Living Life in the Shadow of the Budget Showdown - A Critique

Laurel continues to investigate the death of esteemed Dr. Daudier (Michael Potts), while bugs infect more citizens of Washington, D.C. Rochelle Daudier (Nikki M James), the deceased doctor’s daughter and Gustav Triplette (Johnny Ray Gill), an eccentric genius, both encounter the bugs separately and begin to question exactly what is happening.

Sorry, Laurel, but I knew Gareth was playing you from the start.  He is just way too smart and savvy to have had any kind of phone conversation in front of someone across the party lines, like that.  At least you are still a rookie about this.  Luke on the other hand, really should have actually sat down and gotten full details about what was going down and how she got that info.  He's not as smart as he thinks he is.

Looks like we got new regulars this go around, between the doctor's daughter and whoever this guy is that saw his friend's explode in front of him.  Not sure what his deal exacly is, but it does look like he's pretty smart.

All the stuff with the girl with cancer and her father cracked me up, because I imagine that while exaggerated, that probably is what really goes through politicians minds in this scenario.  Sure, it's nice and all to help a girl in need, but make sure it can benefit your political party as well!  And Wheatus using their Atheism and suggestions that Lincoln might have been gay against them, is totally something I could see the Republican party doing.

Still not entirely sure if this show will work out, but I'm still getting a kick out of it.  And Mary Elizabeth Winstead is really a charming lead here.

• Love 4

Invasion of the body snatchers, with bugs instead of seed pods.

So far, I find no fault with the bug-Republicans' policy proposals. 90% of Washington burearacracy is bloated, self-serving, meddling waste, top-heavy with otherwise unemployed lawyers.

(edited)
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Still not entirely sure if this show will work out, but I'm still getting a kick out of it.  And Mary Elizabeth Winstead is really a charming lead here.

She's kind of carrying the load for me, although I'm also enjoying Gareth as her foil. The show doesn't seem to want me to root for or care about Luke or Red, and I don't. Nice that Laurel's office window looks out at an actual (statuary) horse's ass.

Loud slurpy/squisy noises, gross me out, so I looked away at whatever was happening in that closeup of the aliants Laurel stepped on.

Do we need a drinking game for each episode's infection tell? In addition to the song, we've had the repeated "four months at sea" phrase, then this time is was Forever Juice.

Is it too much to hope for a musical recap every episode?

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3
(edited)

The sci-fi element of this show seems  - to me - to add a bit too much complication to the already complicated DC shenanigans.

And where does this all end? A full blown ant-alien invasion?  These summer programs don't seem to have any clear indication as to whether they are supposed to be a limited series or ongoing. The new mindset seems to be "we will just keeping making more if the ratings don't suck badly enough", courtesy of 'Under the Dome' (shudder). 

So far, it's .. cute. mildly amusing. There does seem to be a slant towards the super-conservatives being the brain impaired victims. Will we see a liberal version of that? (Or have we already? I'm not paying super close attention.) 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

So far, it's .. cute. mildly amusing. There does seem to be slant towards the super-conservatives being the brain impaired victims. Will we see a liberal version of that? (Or have we already? I'm not paying super close attention.) 

Scarlett -- who can't seem to have sex (or kiss) with Luke without throwing up.  Here is a problem for me... what happens when those with ants in their heads are "cured'. Are they dead and will never be cured? That is kind of in the back of my head upsetting me every time an ant comes near an ear.  If they can clarify that those who get the ants can be saved...it might make things more enjoyable. I just really watch for Laurel and Gareth. I honestly was expecting more biting political humor.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shrewd.buddha said:

The sci-fi element of this show seems  - to me - to add a bit too much complication to the already complicated DC shenanigans.

And where does this all end? A full blown ant-alien invasion?  These summer programs don't seem to have any clear indication as to whether they are supposed to be a limited series or ongoing. The new mindset seems to be "we will just keeping making more if the ratings don't suck badly enough", courtesy of 'Under the Dome' (shudder). 

I believe I read somewhere that the Kings (show creators) have a four year plan. Whether or not they get four years/ stick to that plan is another story, but hey, it's something...

• Love 1

I felt really bad for the photographer friend locked in the bathroom by Genius Grant Girl.  Those bugs creeped me out.

I like the chess guy who took his friend to the hospital. Show does a good job of getting me invested in new characters quick.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I like the chess guy who took his friend to the hospital. Show does a good job of getting me invested in new characters quick.

He was really well drawn, especially for as little dialog as he had. Watching smart people figure shit out is always appealing to me, in an aspirational way.

• Love 4

Well, watching smart people figure stuff out was the original appeal of THE GOOD WIFE, wasn't it? My problem with this show is twofold: one, I don't like horror; two, I was bored. I can't imagine four years of this. For one thing, the infestation is proceeding apace. How are the main characters going to avoid it?

At this point I'm thinking of a War of the Worlds strategy--probably because of seeing Laurel with the bug spray. 
Maybe the Kings think after the bugs have made everything crazy, D.C.ers will be happy just to be back to Repulicans and Democrats stonewalling each other.

Was there a window in the bathroom in Abbie's apartment? If not, maybe the friend could climb on the counter and exit via ceiling tiles. I would like to see her experience the threat without losing her brains.

• Love 1

The musical recap was the shit! Sorry not to offer any original thoughts but I feel mostly on the same page as others--I like the leads a lot, the plot is kinda meh so far but not bad enough to stop watching. We'll see what happens, I guess, but there isn't much else on now to divert my attention.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, BooBear said:

Scarlett -- who can't seem to have sex (or kiss) with Luke without throwing up.  Here is a problem for me... what happens when those with ants in their heads are "cured'. Are they dead and will never be cured? 

Considering that part of their brains "pop out" of their ears when the aliants move in, if they do get cured they are probably dead for sure.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Considering that part of their brains "pop out" of their ears when the aliants move in, if they do get cured they are probably dead for sure.

Unless maybe the ants replaced the popped out brains with a reprogrammed version of the samed part of the brain (causing it to popout because there's not enough room etc.). So then maybe if/when the ants all die, the replaced portion of the brain will get re-reprogrammed by the person's memories. But, then again, the show title is "BrainDead," but it seems too light of a show to end with that many dead people--or not.

• Love 1
On 6/21/2016 at 1:00 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I believe I read somewhere that the Kings (show creators) have a four year plan. Whether or not they get four years/ stick to that plan is another story, but hey, it's something...

This doesn't seem like a show that can last that long, The Good Wife was a legal procedural drama that gave it some longevity, while this is much more serialized.

I'm thinking a bathroom is the worst place for tiny alien bugs to stage a confrontation with a victim. Hard surface underfoot for stomping, and all sorts of cleaning chemicals caustic enough that they'd probably mess up even alien biology. (I can't imagine anything that breathes oxygen having a fun time being covered with foaming bleach, for example...)

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm thinking a bathroom is the worst place for tiny alien bugs to stage a confrontation with a victim. Hard surface underfoot for stomping, and all sorts of cleaning chemicals caustic enough that they'd probably mess up even alien biology. (I can't imagine anything that breathes oxygen having a fun time being covered with foaming bleach, for example...)

True, but it was quite an army of ants, which leave a lot for "canon fodder" or, to use the Vietnam War parlance: for the meatgrinder.

(edited)
On 6/21/2016 at 6:56 AM, lordonia said:

Is it too much to hope for a musical recap every episode?

OMG I loved that. " A southerner Republican a drunk"  I forgot about this show with all the real life political and other dramas going on. 

Do they have to get permission to use Hillary and Drumpf clips or is it considered fair use?

Edited by atomationage

Fair use, I think.  Back in the early campaign, I remember an instance where Ted Cruz's campaign was putting up clips of him speaking on various issues, with the intent that the SuperPAC could then use them for campaign ads without actually dealing directly with the Cruz campaign, which would be a violation of the election laws.  So, in effect, once you're out there, you're fair game, friend or foe, as long as it isn't libelous. Not that that would ever happen in a presidential campaign.

• Love 1