Type keyword(s) to search

Finding Dory (2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. The film is a sequel to the 2003 film, Finding Nemo. Andrew Stanton, who directed the original film, returns as writer and director, alongside Angus MacLane as the co-director, and Victoria Strouse and Finding Nemo co-writer Bob Peterson as writers. The film features the voices of Ellen DeGeneres, Albert Brooks, Hayden Rolence, Ed O'Neill, Kaitlin Olson, Ty Burrell, Diane Keaton, Eugene Levy, Idris Elba, and Dominic West.

For most of the running time I was waiting for Hank the "septopus" to get one of those Pixar character monologues revealing how he lost his leg, why he's afraid of the ocean, etc.  Not required, as it turned out, but that seemed primed for greater detail later.

I quite liked it, on the whole.  Marlin and Nemo feel borderline superfluous in this, though they get a few nice character moments.  I know Stanton has said it was a big challenge to write the film around Dory considering she has little in the way of memory (though enough for the plot to go forward), but I think they pull it off.

L'il Dory managed to fall on the side of being adorably cute instead of insufferably so; I guess the underlying sadness of those scenes helps with that.

• Love 5

I love this so much! It was funny and sweet and adorable. Little Dory was so cute. Definitely stay until the very end for a cute little scene. And I also adored the short, Piper, that played before the movie. All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience. I would totally see it again and will most likely purchase the DVD when it comes out.

• Love 2

I loved Piper!. Probably one of their better shorts.

Of all Pixar sequels, I'd rank this second only to the Toy Story ones -- and miles an miles ahead of Monsters Univerity, which is so far ahead of Cars 2, that you can barely count them on the same list.

• Love 2

Saw this in a theater full of families...

The collective gasp of 'omgcute!' when we first see little Dory was only matched by the moan that rippled through the parents when the trails of shells were revealed. I mean...

The new characters were great. Bailey and Destiny were terrific. Bailey rediscovering his echo-location just made me laugh! "Yes! My amazing gift!!"

And, of course... the otters! "They're so cute!" "Cuddle party!"

• Love 5

I won't lie: I got emotional when Dory found her parents.

DIED laughing when the truck crashed in the ocean to " What A Wonderful World".

Overall, Great sequel. I didn't Finding Nemo needed a sequel, thank you very much, but Pixar pulled it off fairly well. Lil Dory and Hank were definitely the standouts, and the sea lions too. I swear, the one that kept trying to climb on the rock had an Angry Birds-looking face.

Was happy to see the Tank Gang again, although I'm baffled  that they survived a whole year floating around in those plastics bags, though I guess they could live on the algae buildup. LOL all that trouble just to get caught again....but hey, a marine rehab is a big step up from a dentist's office. Besides, if all went well, they'd just release them back into the ocean eventually.

• Love 3

The animation in Piper was crazy good. Other than the cartoon nature of the animals it looked like a real beach.

Also loved how the end credits started at the bottom of the ocean and finished at the surface.

But my favourite part was Marlin saying he can't swim them across the ocean but he knows a guy. Then again my favourite part on Finding Nemo was the whole running plot bit of Nemo asking his dad how old sea turtles are, Marlin finding out then telling Nemo when they are reunited.

• Love 2

I agree baby Dory was really, really cute.  But me along with the other adults I talked to agreed that this movie wasn't as good as the first.  I mean, I thought it was okay, but I wasn't that wowed by it.  It's making money though....

• Love 2
On 7/4/2016 at 7:14 PM, snickers said:

I agree baby Dory was really, really cute.  But me along with the other adults I talked to agreed that this movie wasn't as good as the first.  I mean, I thought it was okay, but I wasn't that wowed by it.  It's making money though....

I agree. Everything was perfect but it just didn't effect me as much as Nemo. I was tearing up while watching this but never cried. For Nemo I was crying. Baby Dory is the cutest thing, and Bailey and Destiny were really funny. Ahhh Hank!!!

Man . . . not much feedback here, and I heard the movie has overtaken Captain America: Civil War as the top-grossing movie this summer. Cut to Disney execs furiously jacking it.

Man, there are a lot of "special needs" creatures in the ocean. That's my takeaway from the movie. Very sweet stuff, and Ellen didn't bug that much as Dory. I think the seals/sea lions are my favorite new characters, even if their shtick was based on the sea gulls. "OFF! OFF! OFF! OFF!!!" When I went to Epcot with my mother, they had mechanical birds that went "MINE! MINE! MINE!!" How long before a Disney park brings those two/three to the masses?

• Love 1

Let me just start out by saying Gerald was my favorite. His face just cracked me up and when he finally got his moment I the rock I laughed so damn hard. Baby Dory was precious and I loved all the new characters. Dory trying to say Open Ocean but getting it wrong was hilarious. I cried a few times during the movie. The moment that really got me was seeing all the shells that the parents had placed around the house. This movie was so well done and it didn't have many of the cliches I thought it would have. The short before the movie was adorable times 10. I just wanted to reach through the screen and cuddle that bird. 

• Love 3

I enjoyed this movie. I thought it was cute and sweet and funny. But it wasn't amazing, or moving, or a movie I thought about for the rest of the day, the way Finding Nemo was. 

One of the things I really missed in this one was the sense of setting. In Finding Nemo, the ocean and specifically the ocean around Australia was like a character in the movie. A huge part of the journey was the (gorgeously animated) ocean and all the creatures who lived in it. I felt like that aspect was entirely lacking in this movie. The marine center was beautiful, but it definitely didn't have the wonder or majesty of the ocean that I thought was a big part of what made the first movie magical. Also, I was jarred when they realized they were going to California--maybe my sense of geography is off, but I thought California was a very long way from Australia. In Nemo you could suspend disbelief that fish could travel from one part of Australia to another with help from friends, but Australia to California? That seems a bit far-fetched, even within a fictional animated movie. 

I also just didn't find this movie as emotionally resonant as the first. It had amazing moments, like the trails of shells, but I think the emotional beats in this one weren't hit the same way. And the actual storylines they went for--parents trying to raise a special needs child and then looking for her when she's parted from them and the fact that families are more than just who you're related to--are very powerful. It's a bit surprising that I didn't feel more emotional about it. That said, I'm sure it was incredibly meaningful and almost like a love letter to parents who have children with needs like Dory. The conversation between Dory's parents about how she could ever be independent was particularly relatable. 

Well those under sea currents make wonders I guess, they just ride them so they can cross the ocean on them with little effort, I suppose it takes some days from Australia to California thru the north equatorial current...