Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: The Next Generation: Auditions #2

• Start Topic

Very interesting. I am so naive I never realized many of these children are on the "circuit". The wee girl ( 8 going on fetus) looked like toddlers and tiaras material.  How thrilling for the ballet dancer to get an actual critique from the Joffrey principal. Loved the dancer with the Cuban mom. Mom was lovely as well. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This week's tap girl>>>last week's tap girl.

The girl who danced to Bey had more spunk and attitude than actual hip hop skills. Academy fodder.

If we assume hypothetically, that we've maybe seen 4 or 5 of the eventual top 10 so far....then I'd go out on a limb picking the ballerina and the contemporary girl in the blue who was gumby-like and had crazy body control from tonight's episode.

I keep waiting for one of these auditioners to be the son or daughter of a SYTYCD contestant from the first few seasons. I can't believe there won't at least be one they spotlight...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
(edited)
50 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I keep waiting for one of these auditioners to be the son or daughter of a SYTYCD contestant from the first few seasons. I can't believe there won't at least be one they spotlight...

LOL! As much as that would be cool, I don't think any would be old enough. Allison's daughter Weslie just turned 8 a month or so ago and that's the only SYTYCD kid I know. Well, her and little London D'Umo, but he's only three :)

Unless there are any s1 kids or any contestants that had kids pre-SYTYCD

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 1

Um, kid, the hands under the chin and the big smile is sort of girlie.  Nigel won't like that.

Hip hop girl seemed to be more contemporary than hip hop.

Why did tap girl have that thing on her arm?

Ballet girl's Mom dances? Not very well.

Hated the music Ballroom girl danced to.

"White Camaro."  OMG

OK, I loved Alex Walton. Did they say how old he is?

Oh, no, the actual dreaded HMV from a pre-teen.  Eek.

I thought Latin dancer girl was too sexy for an 11-year-old.  It's not inappropriate for this old fuddy duddy.

Those vinyl leggings and arm the tap girl wore would be bad enough on a hooker but were totally inappropriate on a 10-year-old..  Sorry, another fuddy duddy here.  (And this is on the parents/trainer, not the little girl.)

And what the hell were whoever thinking putting on that way overly cute girl with the awful hair bow?  She is years away from ready.

• Love 2

JT was a little too much of a competition kid for me (which was not at all helped by the little segment with his mom). He has great flexibility but his technique was a little sloppy which was really noticeable during his fouettes a la seconde.

The girl who danced to Bey had more spunk and attitude than actual hip hop skills. Academy fodder.

Tahani has more training than just hip hop. Untrained 12 year old girls don't do a fouette into a double pirouette or a round off back tuck. She had great attitude and sass which made me think she was a competition dancer too. I was worried when she started talking about facial expressions but at least she gave us a good variety of facial expressions. It will be interesting to see just how trained she is once they move onto the academy.

Emma the tapper had a smartly choreographed routine but the old lady in me hated her costume. I used to wear pants like that in college to go clubbing so maybe not the most age appropriate for a little girl. But it was the bra top on a 10 year old that I really disliked. I'm okay with little girls wearing bikinis if they like two piece bathing suits so I can't really explain why the bedazzled bra on this girl bothered me. Putting the pants with the bra top just took it over the top for me. If she had worn only one or the other, I would have noticed and probably not liked it but wearing them together just made it look totally inappropriate for her age. There were lots of other girls wearing cropped tops that showed their abs or tank tops that showed their arms, so it's not just exposed skin that I object to.

Tia the ballerina might have been amazing or terrible but it was hard for me to tell since they spent most of her audition showing Nigel bringing Fabrice up to the judging table and then going to sit on the sofa with Tia's mom. At least she got some good comments from the Joffrey guy though. That must have been really exciting for her.

Leana the ballroom dancer was pretty good (based on my very minimal ballroom knowledge), Her flicks looked sharp (but I might have really low expectations after watching some of the celebs on DWTS).

Alex the farm kid wasn't my favorite audition so I wasn't sure why he got a standing ovation, but I appreciated that his audition was different from what else we saw this week.

I'm glad that they didn't give Ainslee the 8 year old a ticket. She is exactly the kind of competition kid I don't want to see this season with the constant faces and the unpointed toes.

Diana the 10 year old contemporary dancer had beautiful lines and technique and she was one of the only dancers who didn't dance like a kid. She has a very mature quality to her dance. Although she was very flexible it was nice to see that her entire routine wasn't dependent upon that because she also had really great technique, strength, and emotional depth. In the shots that were farther away, I wouldn't have guessed that she was only 10. One thing that's common with younger dancers (especially competition dancers and/or kids who are naturally flexible) is a flaily nature to their moves but Diana had such precision and control in her movements.

Daniela had such a beautiful face. If I thought they were doing to do this kid version of SYTYCD again, I would ask her to come back next year. She wasn't bad but I think that another year would really make a difference.

Normally I hate the filler stuff we get in between auditions but we got some interesting tidbits this week. There was the kid who wished his super power was farting and making people fall asleep. Then we had the things the kids said they would do with the $250K if they won (buy a hoverboard, buy a Bugati, add to their Louis Vuitton collection). On the other hand, maybe if we skipped all the "aren't they cute?" segments, we would have had time to see more of the kids who we saw get tickets. I guess yay that Enoch and Quinn were on tv at all. Neither of them impressed me in the five seconds we saw of their actual dancing but maybe I would feel differently if we had seen each of their entire audition dances.

• Love 1

This is all so sad.  I remember when SYTYCD forums were filled with passionate commentary and the show was filled with beautiful dance.  This . . . this is just so sad.  Maybe it will get a little better once we get the all stars mixed in but at this point I almost wish it were cancelled.  I loved this show so much.  Yes, it started going downhill when Nigel started manipulating everything to get the winners he wanted but in the beginning?  It was magical.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

This week's tap girl>>>last week's tap girl.

If we assume hypothetically, that we've maybe seen 4 or 5 of the eventual top 10 so far....then I'd go out on a limb picking the ballerina and the contemporary girl in the blue who was gumby-like and had crazy body control from tonight's episode.

Well last week we did have the pupil of a former SYTYCD contestant.  Lukas was trained by Victor Smalley, not an all star, but a contestant all the same.

The show is tedious and makes me sad.  Are there some talented kids?  Yeah.  But after putting in 13 years as a dance mom myself, including competitions, I've seen it all already.  I came to the show to see the next level on my television screen, mature and capable artists performing high level choreography.  I watched years of wunderkinds snap, crackle, popping their way through routines with some skills but the emotional depth of the spoon you would eat that bowl of cereal with.

• Love 1

I thought these auditions were kind of meh.  

I recognized Tate McRae in the preview for next episode though, and I'm excited to see her dance.  Hopefully they actually show it.

I liked Diana, the 10 year old contemporary dancer and that's about it.  The tap girl might have potential.  I didn't like her tap solo but I can tell that she has other training.  The ballet girl was better than last week's ballet girl when it comes to pointe but still not that great.  It looked like the girl that did the jive was pretty good too but I don't know how versatile she is.

5 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Well last week we did have the pupil of a former SYTYCD contestant.  Lukas was trained by Victor Smalley, not an all star, but a contestant all the same.

The show is tedious and makes me sad.  Are there some talented kids?  Yeah.  But after putting in 13 years as a dance mom myself, including competitions, I've seen it all already.  I came to the show to see the next level on my television screen, mature and capable artists performing high level choreography.  I watched years of wunderkinds snap, crackle, popping their way through routines with some skills but the emotional depth of the spoon you would eat that bowl of cereal with.

Both Ricky and Derek from last season were also trained by Victor Smalley.   I also know what you mean about watching the next level.  As my user name suggests, I'm also a dance mom.  I've watched lots of competition kids and I got bored watching after awhile.  I was happy when my daughters switched to ballet studios (even though I sat through YAGP competitions).  They did ballroom competitions too but I didn't get sick of that.

9 hours ago, sofiah said:

I recognized Tate McRae in the preview for next episode though, and I'm excited to see her dance.  Hopefully they actually show it.

I hope so too! Although it seems that they haven't really been showing as much of the more known ones from the competition circuit. I'm wondering if they're keeping them for more of a surprise for later. I guess if we don't see much of her now we can at least look forward to seeing her in the Top 10! (If the rumours I've heard are correct she's in the Top 10.)

Those vinyl leggings and arm the tap girl wore would be bad enough on a hooker but were totally inappropriate on a 10-year-old..  Sorry, another fuddy duddy here.  (And this is on the parents/trainer, not the little girl.)

I was kinda appalled.  I was thinking of all the old perv guys recording this and watching it over and over.  I don't think that Mom made the best decision there.

Ballerina girl had a heart-breakingly beautiful face.  (So did the Joffrey principal!!)

Boy with orange bowtie and suspenders did not look 10 of course, but he also acted about 6.  He is going to regret being seen walking hand in hand with his Mom (unless he's home schooled)

NIGEL YOU HAD TO INCLUDE THE LITTLE GIRL PUKING HUH?  THAT WAS NECESSARY?

IE: Face Pulling-- Don't most dance schools for young kids teach 1/2 hour of dance and 1/2 hour of face pulling and sassy-acting in every one hour class??

15 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I wish Nigel would find a new term besides 'face pulling', or is that what it's literally called in competitions?  I know the kids know what he means but it sounds like he's ridiculing them

In the cheer world it's called "facials" I think.  Or, maybe that's just what I call them.  lol

I remember when my daughters did competitions, the judges always pushed for more facial expressions.  I hated them because they always seem exaggerated to me.  Another reason why I hate competition dances.

• Love 2

I've decided to keep up with the KidSYTYCD thru this forum because I am curious.  I'm not TPTBs target group anyway.  I tried watching Dance Moms but it just didn't work for me.  I'm sure KidSYTYCD is a little different from Dance Moms but they both have the main focus--kid dancers. 

Wonder if anyone knows the viewer ratings?  I have a feeling it will get better and better because of the young ones increase in idle time.  Kids are really loyal to their own.   Hopefully it will be something they can enjoy and root for.  I doubt if the "older" viewers will enjoy it.  Oftentimes, they didn't enjoy the late teens and early twenties.  So I don't see how they can enjoy contestants with less experience, maybe as much as 10 years.  But I guess you do have to change your requirement for the show.  You'll have to see it as  really good for a kid.  So maybe they will enjoy it as much.  Or maybe being precious will be enough.

18 hours ago, movement said:

I've decided to keep up with the KidSYTYCD thru this forum because I am curious.  I'm not TPTBs target group anyway.  I tried watching Dance Moms but it just didn't work for me.  I'm sure KidSYTYCD is a little different from Dance Moms but they both have the main focus--kid dancers. 

Kid dancers isn't the focus of Dance Moms.  Obnoxious women is the focus of Dance Moms.  :-)

• Love 2
22 hours ago, smlait said:

Kid dancers isn't the focus of Dance Moms.  Obnoxious women is the focus of Dance Moms.  :-)

Oh OK.  I only saw Dance Moms a couple of times.  I saw the bickering Moms and AL but what I saw it was mainly about the treatment/portrayal of the girls and their routines.