Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

On 1/7/2021 at 5:03 PM, GodsBeloved said:

For me, I agree no other actor can replace Chadwick's T'Challa. However, I do believe that another actor can successfully create their own T'Challa, that their T'Challa can be on par with Chadwick's T'Challa. 

That is a perfect way to put it even though I don't think they are going to go that route. Because I also kind of think that saying that no other actor could do the character justice is kind of insulting to every other actor who could be suitable to play T'Challa.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That is a perfect way to put it even though I don't think they are going to go that route. Because I also kind of think that saying that no other actor could do the character justice is kind of insulting to every other actor who could be suitable to play T'Challa.

I don’t think anyone is saying no other actor can do the character justice but the reality is they would be replacing Chadwick’s T’Challa in people’s minds. It will automatically invite comparison which does a disservice to the character and whatever actor was chosen. Recasting now is setting up everyone to fail. 

10 minutes ago, Dani said:

I don’t think anyone is saying no other actor can do the character justice but the reality is they would be replacing Chadwick’s T’Challa in people’s minds. It will automatically invite comparison which does a disservice to the character and whatever actor was chosen. Recasting now is setting up everyone to fail. 

Wouldn't there be comparisons either way. If Black Panther 2 comes out and there is no T'Challa there will be certainly be a lot of comments and comparison to how much different the movie would be if he was part of it.

6 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Wouldn't there be comparisons either way. If Black Panther 2 comes out and there is no T'Challa there will be certainly be a lot of comments and comparison to how much different the movie would be if he was part of it.

Of course. It’s going to tricky to move forward without him but recasting gives a very narrow path to success. It really doesn’t matter if it can be done but if the audience will accept it. 

The circumstances didn't allow Chadwick Boseman to sign off on his own successor the way Andy Whitfield did Liam McIntyre on Spartacus, which is really the only way I could have seen recasting the role this soon working. I think going the T'Challa-less route risks much less in terms of people being outraged over disrespect at his replacement, and also avoids risking a new lead who doesn't work. The remaining Black Panther actors have all proved how good they are in their roles.

A decade or two down the line, when all the current actors except Paul Rudd have aged out of their roles, maybe Marvel will remake the movies or reboot the continuity for new stories and there will be a new T'Challa actor just as there will a new Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Isn't his all moot? Feige has already said they aren't recasting T'Challa. 

Comics fans are petitioning for their favorite Black Panther 

Not that they can't tell a great story with the other characters of Wakanda, but it's a little odd to have a sequel without the title character.

Off the top of my head, the only(?) time that's been attempted recently is The Huntsman: Winter's War, that came after Snow White and the Huntsman. But even then, they still had the Huntsman.

32 minutes ago, Trini said:

Not that they can't tell a great story with the other characters of Wakanda, but it's a little odd to have a sequel without the title character.

Off the top of my head, the only(?) time that's been attempted recently is The Huntsman: Winter's War, that came after Snow White and the Huntsman. But even then, they still had the Huntsman.

Black Panther is a title as much as King is. It would be like a series on the Yankees with the first movie on Babe Ruth and the second on Reggie Jackson 

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Yes; is that what they are going with, though? So far, it doesn't sound like it.

What have you heard? Based on what Fiege has said the script is still being written. I didn’t think anyone had any details on what was planned. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

What have you heard? Based on what Fiege has said the script is still being written. I didn’t think anyone had any details on what was planned. 

Just the quote that I posted earlier in this topic:

On 1/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, Trini said:

Update on Black Panther 2:

https://deadline.com/2021/01/marvel-kevin-feige-interview-wandavision-black-panther-2-chadwick-boseman-black-widow-disney-1234670774/

FEIGE: So much of the comics and that first movie is the world of Wakanda. Wakanda is a place to further explore with characters and different subcultures. This was always and initially the primary focus of the next story. We’re not going to have a CG Chadwick and we’re not recasting T’Challa. Ryan Coogler is working very hard right now on the script with all the respect and love and genius that he has, which gives us great solace, so it was always about furthering the mythology and the inspiration of Wakanda. There’s also the task of honoring and respecting the ongoing learnings and teachings from Chad as well.

It sounds - to me - like T'Challa/BP not going to be in it, or not in it much, and it will focus on other characters and Wakanda.

[ETA] And I'm going with the assumption that they are not killing off T'Challa, so he'll still hold the Black Panther mantle.

Edited by Trini
LOL - of course this didn't merge the one time I wanted it to!

This is an extended piece from today's Variety. I'm including a few excerpts, but the entire article is worth the read with comments from new Dean of the Fine Arts College, Phylicia Rashad, author Ta-Nehisi Coates and Disney's Bob Iger.
Howard University Names Newly Re-Established College of Fine Arts for Chadwick Boseman

Chadwick Boseman was best known to audiences for his work onscreen, playing iconic figures like Jackie Robinson, James Brown, Thurgood Marshall and the Black Panther. But offscreen, he was known as a proud Howard Bison.

Howard University announced today that the newly re-established college of fine arts, led by Dean Phylicia Rashad, will be named the Chadwick A. Boseman College of Fine Arts in honor of the late actor and distinguished alumnus.
Boseman’s wife, Simone Ledward-Boseman, also shared her support for the move. “I am extremely pleased that Howard University has chosen to honor my husband in this way and elated that Ms. Rashad has accepted the role as Dean,” she said. “Chad was a very proud Bison — both Howard and Ms. Rashad played integral roles in his journey as an artist. The re-establishment of the College of Fine Arts brings this part of his story full-circle and ensures that his legacy will continue to inspire young storytellers for years to come.”
The reestablishment of the independent fine arts college was a long-held dream of Boseman’s, who graduated in 2000 with a BFA in directing. While he was a student, Boseman led a protest against the College of Fine Arts’ absorption into the College of Arts & Sciences, which he referenced during his powerful commencement address in 2018, where he spoke about challenging the powers that be and finding your purpose.
Famed author Ta-Nehisi Coates was a fellow student during those years, working as a reporter for the Hilltop newspaper. “One of my outstanding memories of him as a public figure is of him being one of the leaders of the protest to preserve the College of Fine Arts, which we knew even at that time, had turned out so many alumni like Donny Hathaway, Roberta Flack, Phylicia Rashad and Debbie Allen,” Coates tells Variety. “That was very present to us. We were all mourning when they shut it down.”

For Coates, looking back on that protest in 1997, as Boseman and his fellow students led a three-day sit-in at the administration building, not only represents Boseman’s leadership skills, but his long term dedication to Howard’s students past and present. And renaming the college of fine arts for Boseman continues that legacy.
In addition to renaming the college for Boseman, The Walt Disney Company’s executive chairman Bob Iger will lead fundraising efforts to build a new facility for the college and an endowment in the “Black Panther” star’s name.

“Chadwick Boseman was an extraordinarily gifted, charismatic and kind-hearted person whose incredible talent and generous spirit were clearly reflected in his iconic performances, including as King T’Challa in ‘Black Panther,’ and in his tireless commitment to helping others,” Iger said. “Through his tremendous example he inspired millions to overcome adversity, dream big and reach beyond the status quo, and this College named in his honor at his beloved Howard University will provide opportunities for future generations of artists to follow in his footsteps and pursue their dreams."

• Love 3

The political scientist in me hopes that Wakanda upgraded their constitution with regards to succession. 

The lack of a "no body, no death" clause really caused problems.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Bob Iger: COVID Dealt Movie Theaters a “Severe Injury That Maybe Doesn’t Heal”
BY ALEX WEPRIN     JANUARY 27, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/bob-iger-2022-interview-movie-theaters-streaming-1235082447/

“If we had tried to mine all the data that we had at the time, to determine whether we should make a superhero movie that was about, essentially, an Afro-futuristic world with a Black cast, the data would have said don’t do that, and Black Panther never would have been made,” he said.

Edited by tv echo
22 hours ago, tv echo said:

Bob Iger: COVID Dealt Movie Theaters a “Severe Injury That Maybe Doesn’t Heal”
BY ALEX WEPRIN     JANUARY 27, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/bob-iger-2022-interview-movie-theaters-streaming-1235082447/

My area was mostly good last year. I saw Shang-Chi and Eternals in cinemas. However, I saw Mortal Kombat at home, due to a bad patch. Then Ghostbusters, and Matrix, because trouble has returned. So if we beat this thing once and for all, I would happily return to the cinema. All that's needed is for everyone to act sensibly.

Damn. I may as well ask for a pet unicorn.

• Love 5
On 1/13/2021 at 8:32 PM, Bruinsfan said:

The circumstances didn't allow Chadwick Boseman to sign off on his own successor the way Andy Whitfield did Liam McIntyre on Spartacus, which is really the only way I could have seen recasting the role this soon working. I think going the T'Challa-less route risks much less in terms of people being outraged over disrespect at his replacement, and also avoids risking a new lead who doesn't work. The remaining Black Panther actors have all proved how good they are in their roles.

A decade or two down the line, when all the current actors except Paul Rudd have aged out of their roles, maybe Marvel will remake the movies or reboot the continuity for new stories and there will be a new T'Challa actor just as there will a new Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.

I'm more than sure that's probably what's going to happen.

Sebastian Stan Reflects on the Crazy Way He Got 'Cast' In Black Panther
By Russ Milheim   February 02, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/black-panther-cast-sebastian-stan 

During an interview with Esquire, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier star Sebastian Stan confirmed the crazy way he was cast for Black Panther's post-credits sequence.

The segment started with a title card that read:

"Sebastian learned he was going to be in Black Panther while standing at baggage claim with [Marvel Studios president] Kevin Feige after a flight, where Feige offhandedly mentioned it."
"Completely true. I think it was on the set of Captain America: Civil War, and he goes, 'Oh yeah, by the way, we're gonna have you come in early next week. You're gonna do the scene with Ryan Coogler'. It's always been like that, by the way. It's always been off-handed. Even getting the role back in the day was sort of off-handed."

Edited by tv echo