Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E10: Matt LeBlanc, Emilia Clarke, Kate Beckinsale, Dominic Cooper, Corinne Bailey Rae

• Start Topic

The guests on Graham's sofa are Matt LeBlanc, one of the new hosts of the revamped Top Gear, Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke, promoting her new movie Me Before You, actress Kate Beckinsale, starring in the Jane Austen adaption Love & Friendship and actor Dominic Cooper, appearing in the epic fantasy movie Warcraft. With music from Corinne Bailey Rae, performing her current single Stop Where You Are.

Apart some seeing her in Vacancy I knew little about Kate Beckinsale, but I'm now officially a fan. Emilia is adorable but Kate made the episode worthwhile. Can't wait to see that Austen movie!

He, Kate Beckinsale is truly bonkers - who would have thought? I do say I feel tempted to give pant horse therapy a try. And I loved Emilia Clarke's 'Mother of Dragons! Hi, there'-delivery. All in all the couch provided a lot more fun than I expected.

• Love 5

I've liked Kate Beckinsale since she played Ava Gardner in Scorsese's The Aviator. I thought she was really funny on TGNS - you just knew she had to have a good sense of humor, what with being what amounts to the leading lady in the Underworld franchise (and similar movies). I just didn't realize how truly silly she was - I thought the chocolate story was great!

Are there unedited episodes on YT? I don't know that these have been edited for BBCA broadcast, but some of the cuts to commercial seemed rather abrupt.

I'd never seen Emilia Clarke on a chat show before and I thought she was entirely endearing. Sometimes on this show in particular when everyone's on the couch and someone else is talking, the not-talking people just sort of sit there and smile politely and whatnot. They don't draw attention to themselves and aren't rude but it's clear they're basically just waiting their turn (which is fine). But I noticed Emilia looked genuinely interested in what everyone else was saying, and I found that charming. She just really seemed to be enjoying herself.

I also enjoyed this episode because even though they had four on the couch it did seem evenly spread. Everyone got their anecdotes in; it wasn't dominated by one particular person. Plus the guests actually interacted with each other, and the bulk of the stories were quite funny. I was cracking up more this time at Beckinsale than I do with some comedians on the couch. It was a good matchup, this group.

• Love 5

Matt LeBlanc is generally a very good sport on this show but this time in particular I loved his reactions to Kate Beckinsale -- he was amused and confused in just the right amount.

• Love 3

I was disappointed that the US air cut the bit where Beckinsale talks about Michael Bay, which I've seen referenced elsewhere on the interwebz, but no clip thereof.

I think I might want the number of Kate's cosmetic surgeon. Seeing that baby photo and its recreation was amazing.

Is Dominic Cooper's show Preacher not airing in the UK? I would have thought it might have merited a mention (or maybe it did and got cut).

• Love 1

I'm always thrilled to see Dominic Cooper back on the show after that story he told about a wardrobe malfunction while working in a coffee shop and Miriam Margoyles' reaction to it. I almost passed out laughing!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm always thrilled to see Dominic Cooper back on the show after that story he told about a wardrobe malfunction while working in a coffee shop and Miriam Margoyles' reaction to it. I almost passed out laughing!

His entire interaction with Miriam is ah-MAZ-ing.  Her dissing Mama Mia! to his face was EPIC.  And I admire him immensely for taking everything in stride -- Lily Allen, bless her heart, was cringing so hard I thought she would fall off the couch.  And his alarm at Kate's chocolate prank in this episode was delightful.

• Love 1

Kate's not knowing how to pronounce 'Sevigny' was also pretty funny. Although I believe she actually does, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's a routine between them.

• Love 1

I thought there were some good things in this ep, but it's not one of my favorites. I didn't really enjoy Dominic's time here. He didn't seem to fit in. I don't know, but the ep just felt a little strange or off to me. I kind of feel that way about Matt LeBlanc in general. He's sort of funny of the show, but he also doesn't quite seem with it either. A little slow or something.

I really want to see Love and Friendship. I've heard that's very good and funny.

• Love 1

I too am hopping on the Beckinsale train after seeing this episode. (I mean, I liked her work already, but I didn't really have a sense of her personality prior to this week.) She may be the craziest celebrity this side of Sean Young.

• Love 1
(edited)

Loved Kate's reaction to Dominic's questions about the chocolate gag.

"You're very disturbed by this."

"I am!"

Also, Kate's assertion that of course the taller person goes in the back of the horse costume.  Like it's Horse Costume 101, and what dolt wouldn't know that?  But in a funny way.

And Emilia being so thrilled by Matt saying, "How you doin'?" to her was so sweet.

And finally...

image.jpeg

Edited by LADreamr
  • Love 6

I'm not a "Game of Thrones" nerd, but "Khaleesi" is the character's title, not her name. I could give the benefit of the doubt to Graham, but Emila Clarke should know the name of the character she plays and use it when she refers to the character.

I liked how Matt LeBlanc and Emila Clarke seemed to be on the same wavelength and got a kick out of the same things. 

I couldn't tell you anything Kate Beckinsale has been in, but she was hilarious here.

2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm not a "Game of Thrones" nerd, but "Khaleesi" is the character's title, not her name. I could give the benefit of the doubt to Graham, but Emila Clarke should know the name of the character she plays and use it when she refers to the character.

Yeah, but practically every scene she's been in since early season one, all the people address her as Khaleesi, so it's sort of her name, like if someone says "the King," you know it's Elvis.  Some titles become the person's name.  No one on the actual show calls her Dany or Danearys.  I'm sure there are lots of casual fans who don't remember her actual name.

• Love 2

Kate Beckinsale has always been one of my favourite actresses and I knew she had a pretty great sense of humour (I think it was an interview with David Letterman way back when that I cottoned on to this fact) but the chocolate story had me busting a gut. I'll also be on the lookout for horse costumes at any high end hotels that I get the chance to stay in. Who knows, it might just be her :)

Big GOT fan and I agree with all of those who said Emilia Clarke is quite endearing. She was clearly enjoying herself as well.

Overall, a really good couch.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/5/2016 at 11:36 PM, Ailianna said:

Yeah, but practically every scene she's been in since early season one, all the people address her as Khaleesi, so it's sort of her name, like if someone says "the King," you know it's Elvis.  Some titles become the person's name.  No one on the actual show calls her Dany or Danearys.  I'm sure there are lots of casual fans who don't remember her actual name.

You can call a priest "Father" or a nun "Sister"; it still doesn't make their title their name.

If someone had said that Matt LeBlanc would have had a second (and third) career in England, I would have scoffed and rolled my eyes. Good for him.

Edited by SmithW6079