Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: Gotta Be Me

On 5/4/2016 at 2:44 AM, biakbiak said:

Since when does Emery need help being the cool kid?

It was because his friends were starting to go through puberty, so his usual schtick was no longer working. 

Randall Park was better built than I would have thought. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Sudden onset puberty was hysterical!!

I loved that Eddie grew up a little and finally "got" Jessica. And that Jessica accepted his less than perfect effort. That was a nice bit of character growth for both.

Dad renting "Beethoven" was pretty good, too. This was an interesting episode. I love this underrated show, but I really enjoyed this ep.

Edited by Ms Lark
grammar.
  • Love 8

I loved that when Eddie complained that Fun Mom was only during the field trip, she was honest with him and told him that Fun Mom is around when Eddie doesn't need to be nudged/reminded/nagged to do things and that's what her regular mom routine was about. I know it doesn't occur to most kids that their moms don't actually enjoy "reminding" them to do the same shit over and over (or that if they would just do it the first time, their moms wouldn't keep nagging them). But what I loved even more is that Eddie listened and made an effort to change his behavior. Jessica's love of colonial mice was also hilarious. I had an aunt who collected little knickknacks like that.

• Love 11

Judgmental video store clerks! Oh, how I don't miss those guys.

One period detail they got wrong though was that the clerk told Louis that someone had rented some videos the week before and they'd be due on Tuesday. Rentals were always one-day on new releases and on older movies, three days was the longest I remember seeing. (This is my version of "walked uphill both ways in the snow": "We had to watch the movie the same day we rented it and return it on the way to work the next day.") Although I guess they had to fudge that one, otherwise, they couldn't have Louis finding multiple movies stashed under the mattress. I loved how Louis then tried to give Emery the "it's okay if you're gay, son," speech. Pretty sure real-life Louis would have beat the crap out of real-life Emery in that situation. This is why fiction is always better.

• Love 2

I hate that I noticed this, but:  while at the video store, I couldn't help but see the Tarzan videotape on the shelf in the Critters section.  The movie didn't come out until 1999, and I didn't think we were that far along in story time yet.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Judgmental video store clerks! Oh, how I don't miss those guys.

One period detail they got wrong though was that the clerk told Louis that someone had rented some videos the week before and they'd be due on Tuesday. Rentals were always one-day on new releases and on older movies, three days was the longest I remember seeing. (This is my version of "walked uphill both ways in the snow": "We had to watch the movie the same day we rented it and return it on the way to work the next day.") Although I guess they had to fudge that one, otherwise, they couldn't have Louis finding multiple movies stashed under the mattress. I loved how Louis then tried to give Emery the "it's okay if you're gay, son," speech. Pretty sure real-life Louis would have beat the crap out of real-life Emery in that situation. This is why fiction is always better.

My favourite video store had 7 day rentals for older movies. It was nice because we could pick up something old on a Friday night and return it the next Friday when we rented a new movie. That didn't look like a chain, so I could see them having a similar policy. What actually killed me was Louis walking out of the store with the movies in their actual cases. Every place I ever rented from had plastic cases for rentals.

• Love 2

Oh how I remember judgemental movie clerks! One summer when I was in high school, I got a three movie package deal, so I just went movie crazy. The guy at the counter was this proto hipster who I thought was super cool, and I would always try to impress him by renting fancy art house and foreign language movies. It worked out fine for me though, as I actually did end up liking those kinds of movies, but sometimes, you just want to rent Beethoven damn it! 

Really nice episode, and it was nice to see Jessica be the Fun Mom, but also have a real reason behind her "nagging". Plus, Eddie actually listened to her! Good stuff all around. 

• Love 2

I loved that Emery pranked one of the "cool kids" by submitting his own poem under the other kids' names. Clever!

But in a few years, the kid who writes poetry will become more attractive than the one who jokes about farts. Emery will do fine in the romance and friendship departments if he toughs it out. I was surprised Louis didn't point this out, but I thought it was a reasonable gag that he himself turns out to like the fart humor. I also liked Louis's conversation with Grandma.

• Love 5

This one was good, since it had a bit more "meat" between the laughs.  Jessica's colonial mice were hilarious.  As was that creepy clown video that guy recommended at the end.  

It would have been nice to have a bit of crossover in the subplots.  Eddie could have helped Emery out, but Eddie and the younger brother were in the other subplot.  

The revenge poem prank couldn't have turned out well.  It was a small class, and that guy who punched Emery would be out to find who submitted it.  

The insta-puberty bit was funny and an insightful part of being that age.

(edited)
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

But in a few years, the kid who writes poetry will become more attractive than the one who jokes about farts. 

That reminds me. I loved it when he was telling Louis about his friends talking about farts. "Who farted? Did you fart? Fart fart fart fart fart." That last part made me laugh out loud.

I too liked that Jessica explained she can't be a fun mom all the time. That whole story line was different and unexpected.

It was good to see Maria Bamford again. She does so much with so little time.

Evan's love of his mom is so funny. Keeping a framed photo of her under his pillow cracked me up, esp for Louis's reaction. I loved the one bit when Jessica says something to him and he sweetly and quickly replies, "Ok mommy."

The staring contest while eating cereal bit was really funny.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

Look, I know I don't speak Mandarin/Cantonese/whichever, but did Grandma actually say "shithole" when she was talking about Louis's job? They were talking about him changing his personality to make customers happy, and the line was 'I've seen you at work."  She said "(Chinese, Chinese) shithole". I rewound it 3 times and LOL'd each time. How I hope that the actual Chinese word sounds nothing like that!

On 5/11/2016 at 11:57 AM, possibilities said:

I loved that Emery pranked one of the "cool kids" by submitting his own poem under the other kids' names. Clever!

But in a few years, the kid who writes poetry will become more attractive than the one who jokes about farts. Emery will do fine in the romance and friendship departments if he toughs it out. I was surprised Louis didn't point this out, but I thought it was a reasonable gag that he himself turns out to like the fart humor. I also liked Louis's conversation with Grandma.

I don't know if you mean "attractive" to males or females, but Emery has never had any problems with the females and it didn't seem like that was implied in this episode, I think his thing was his male friends (which we really saw zero of in previous episodes so it seemed like it came out of nowhere).  And, I think in general, the love for poetry will never be a big thing for guy friends, fart jokes will always rule.

On 5/12/2016 at 5:39 PM, Camera One said:

This one was good, since it had a bit more "meat" between the laughs.  Jessica's colonial mice were hilarious.  As was that creepy clown video that guy recommended at the end.  

It would have been nice to have a bit of crossover in the subplots.  Eddie could have helped Emery out, but Eddie and the younger brother were in the other subplot.  

The revenge poem prank couldn't have turned out well.  It was a small class, and that guy who punched Emery would be out to find who submitted it.  

The insta-puberty bit was funny and an insightful part of being that age.

I think that one thing is that supposedly, once you get dinged and lowered within the esteem of your peers in that type of situation, there is no recovering so no reason to find someone to confront.  Either way, Emery has the benefit of having his older brother ready to have his back.

On 5/13/2016 at 9:45 PM, TeapotWakeen said:

Look, I know I don't speak Mandarin/Cantonese/whichever, but did Grandma actually say "shithole" when she was talking about Louis's job? They were talking about him changing his personality to make customers happy, and the line was 'I've seen you at work."  She said "(Chinese, Chinese) shithole". I rewound it 3 times and LOL'd each time. How I hope that the actual Chinese word sounds nothing like that!

I don't recall, but I don't think it was "shithole" (if you think she said it in English).  I remember the scene and my mandarin is so-so, but from what I gathered what she said made sense.