Type keyword(s) to search

The Star Wars Saga

Joe
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I liked The Acolyte but I don't think it not being renewed for a second season is due to kowtowing to haters. The original concept is an easy sell for Disney: Jedi investigating a mysterious assassin killing Jedi knights. The concept for a possible season 2, what fans online apparently want

Spoiler

Two Dark Side users training and banging each other on an island and also going out killing Jedi

is not.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 1

That moment at the end of "Revenge Of The Sith" where you hear him as Darth Vader for the first time in 22 years is bone-chillingly spectacular. It's amazing how much a voice can make a character--there's clips on YouTube with him being voiced by the original actor and him being voiced by JEJ and the difference is stunning.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

That moment at the end of "Revenge Of The Sith" where you hear him as Darth Vader for the first time in 22 years is bone-chillingly spectacular. It's amazing how much a voice can make a character--there's clips on YouTube with him being voiced by the original actor and him being voiced by JEJ and the difference is stunning.

Yeah but I loved that when James Earl Jones was complimented in interviews about Vader he always graciously credited David Prowse for actually being the original man in the suit. Yes it's funny hearing Prowse' Bristol accent causing  fans to joke about "Darth Farmer" but Prowse' body language conveys this majestic bearing that fits perfectly with JEJ's voice. Prowse could have played him more robotic or like a brutish thug but instead he chose to give him the imposing authority and nobility befitting a knight or samurai. Prowse and Jones both overcoming poor backgrounds made them perfect to play this character who was born  a slave and became a "lord".

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

Yes it's funny hearing Prowse' Bristol accent causing  fans to joke about "Darth Farmer" but Prowse' body language conveys this majestic bearing that fits perfectly with JEJ's voice. Prowse could have played him more robotic or like a brutish thug but instead he chose to give him the imposing nobility befitting a knight or samurai. P

You know, you're right. I really hadn't thought about that. 

No wonder the remainder of that scene in "Sith" falls a little flat--Hayden can't quite pull it off as well as Prowse could.

2 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Too bad it was kind of ruined by the big cheesy “NOOOOOOO!”

48 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

No wonder the remainder of that scene in "Sith" falls a little flat--Hayden can't quite pull it off as well as Prowse could.

I don't know at that point prequel Vader should have the bearing of OT Vader though. Vader still was a kid at that point.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
50 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know at that point prequel Vader should have the bearing of OT Vader though. Vader still was a kid at that point.

I agree. He didn't develop his majesticness until later. In the final shot when he's standing on the bridge of a Star Destroyer with the Emperor watching the Death Star construction and he crosses his arms like Darth Maul. Older Vader would have put his hands on his waist like in the beginning of ANH looking around the Rebel ship.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I wish it had been a long horrified scream like Pacino's at the end of Godfather Part 3.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 1

Yeah but most of that scream was silent. It's only a bit at the end where you hear actually hear him.

Then again, if you're doing that way, it could have been hilarious to have Vader screaming with no sound for like 20 seconds, flailing his arms, then have the Emperor reach over and adjust a knob on Vader's mask, and then we hear JEJ screaming for 5 seconds.

Edited by Palimelon
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Lucas really liked his big NOOOO!s.  He added it to Vader's killing the Emperor scene even though it wasn't needed at all.

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Definitely, he was still getting used to the two artificial legs and full body armor.  Who knew that trying to flip over someone who knows how to use a lightsaber could end very badly?

(edited)

Don’t judge me, but when I was a little kid, I honestly thought he was called “Dark Vader.” It took me a long time to get it right as Darth Vader.

And this was before I even heard of Spaceballs.

Mel Brooks Comedy GIF

Edited by Spartan Girl

In light of his passing, of course I’m now rewatching the original trilogy-Episodes IV-VI. And I continue to resent that the remastered replaces original Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi with Hayden’s, standing next to Obi-Wan! Just because I-III had been made.PTOOEY!!! I do remember that change but I’m watching it again now but don’t remember if they edited him in for his death scene with Luke. Like, WHY?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

There is so much I resent about the remastered versions of the original trilogy.

SERIOUSLY! I guess I should be grateful they kept Sebastian Shaw’s Anakin in his death scene. And it’s so hilariously obvious at the end how Hayden was edited in. I remember my tween self watching for the first time in the movie theater that Shaw’s Anakin and Obi-Wan looking at each other , whereas Hayden is staring at the camera.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Don’t judge me, but when I was a little kid, I honestly thought he was called “Darth Vader.” It took me a long time to get it right as Darth Vader.

And this was before I even heard of Spaceballs.

Mel Brooks Comedy GIF

Did you mean you thought he was called "Dark Vader"?

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

In light of his passing, of course I’m now rewatching the original trilogy-Episodes IV-VI. And I continue to resent that the remastered replaces original Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi with Hayden’s, standing next to Obi-Wan! Just because I-III had been made.PTOOEY!!! I do remember that change but I’m watching it again now but don’t remember if they edited him in for his death scene with Luke. Like, WHY?

He explained it in this 2005 video with Hayden. It starts at 7:14 mark:

Fans online complain about choices he made in the Special Editions and prequels asking why he did things as if there weren't DVD commentaries, interviews he did at the time each movie was released and "making of" books available that explain his decisions. You may not agree but he had reasons and they weren't to make people mad.

1 hour ago, Fool to cry said:

He explained it in this 2005 video with Hayden. It starts at 7:14 mark:

1 hour ago, Fool to cry said:

You may not agree but he had reasons and they weren't to make people mad.

I don’t agree. We have movies and television where younger actors play a character and played by different actors when they’re older. And why wasn’t Obi-Wan his young self at the end? Anakin died his older self and it was his good side, if you will. Shaw should have remained at the end.

But who am I but a no-nothing.

• Like 1